Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

2019/20 Off Season Braves Transaction Predictions

I know the playoffs are about to start, but I am so excited about what the team may look like to Start in 2020. Here are my bullet points and thoughts:

1. Will we resign Donaldson?
    2. Will we resign Keuchel?
    3. Will we resign Martin?
    4. Will we pick up the 6mil option on Flowers or give him the 2 mil buy out?
    5. Will we resign McCann?

Needs:
    3B, Stop gap catcher or 2, and a veteran SP.

Guesses:
    We will pick up Markakis's option.
    We will pick up Teheran's option but it will be his final year.
    Inciarte will begin 2020 in Atlanta, but will eventually be traded.

Quote Originally Posted by chuck.mcmillan View Post
    I know the playoffs are about to start, but I am so excited about what the team may look like to Start in 2020. Here are my bullet points and thoughts:

1. Will we resign Donaldson?
    2. Will we resign Keuchel?
    3. Will we resign Martin?
    4. Will we pick up the 6mil option on Flowers or give him the 2 mil buy out?
    5. Will we resign McCann?

Needs:
    3B, Stop gap catcher or 2, and a veteran SP.

Guesses:
    We will pick up Markakis's option.
    We will pick up Teheran's option but it will be his final year.
    Inciarte will begin 2020 in Atlanta, but will eventually be traded.
    Well, after the excruciating pain we experienced yesterday, itīs always fun to bring new ideas about the offseason, so Iīm going to start this up.

As you mentioned we need a catcher, McCann just retired (thankfully as a Brave), Flowers is under contract for next season and it appears that the Braves donīt trust Alex Jackson at all. So I assume heīll be back as a back-up.

in Free Agency we have:

Yasmani Grandal as the only starting caliber C, in the trade market there isnīt much either so I expect Yasmani to get a big contract this time around. Iīm all in on this guy, heīs in his early 30īs and 4 straight 4+ fWAR seasons, heīs the most underrated C in the game. even though he will command a big contract it wonīt be a crazy sum. I expect him to get 4 years and around 70M. At a 17.5 AAV we should be able to afford him with ease, and just like that our catching problems (running game and offense) are solved.

Third base is another need, I think everyone would like to bring Donaldson back, another option is Mike Moustakas in FA (as a low end regular). Not much in the trade market. Another risky option will be to give the position to Riley and just hope he does well. The smart move here is to bring Donaldson back, as a 33 years old (34 to start the 2020 season) Iīd prefer to give him 2 years with an option, but Iīm afraid someone will secure him that 3rd year. Anyway if it comes to that third year, Iīll do it, so 80M for 3 years seems reasonable.

Not on Keuchel, maybe on Martin, Yes on Flower.

Yes on Markakis, not on Teheran.

That leave us with:

C- Grandal
    1B- Freeman
    2B- Ozzie
    3B- Donaldson
    SS- Swanson
    LF- Riley
    CF- Inciarte
    RF- Acuņa

Thatīs a similar offense to the one we had this season and we are probably fine with it, Markakis is coming off the bench and could replace Riley at times if he keeps struggling, either way, as soon as Waters is ready he will take one of the OF spots, with Pache and Waters close to the majors I think we can go with the OF I presented. If the Braves want to get another OF, it should be on a one year deal, Corey Dickerson could do the trick.

SP is a need, Soroka-Folty-Fried are locks in the rotation, I would like to keep one spot open for a prospect, Wright-Wilson-Touki-Anderson. But we need another veteran, there are tons of options in the FA market and in the trade market, they are pricey options though, Strasburg, Ryu, Wheeler, Bumbgarner, Kluber (maybe?). Canīt say who I really one, but Iīll be fine with any of them.

We need a closer, Will Smith is the obvious choice but I wouldnīt pay what he wants, Iīd rather go to the trade market here. If healthy Ken Giles is an option, Brad Hand (maybe), Kirby Yates (maybe). Not many options on this front. I would love if we can develop one of our top prospect as a closer.

I am going to assume the Brewers will pick up on the option on Grandal (they would be crazy not to) so unless a trade is made catcher is looking like a tough position to fill. The options in FA are slim. Flowers currently has the 3rd his WAR of the potential guys available. Maybe Yan Gomes if the Nats decline his option. Other than that a trade is the best option.

Most of the roster is already set for 2020:

C: ?
    1B: Freeman
    2B: Albies
    3B: ?
    SS: Swanson
    LF: Acuna
    CF: ?
    RF?

Camargo and Culberson will be our main bench options. I expect Flowers will be back, only because the other options are actually even worse. Duvall has an year of arb left so he could factor into the bench. Inciarte is still under contract. I'm not at all interested in picking up Markakis's option.

I'll be curious to see if the Braves hold onto Inciarte. He's signed 2 more years with an option for a 3rd. Basically a 2 year 17.425 deal including the buy out. Unless we are wowed by an offer or he can be included in a trade for a starter/closer/catcher then it's probably best to keep him. He can always be relegated to the bench. We have other internal options in the OF but who knows if/when Waters or Pache will be ready or how Riley is going to respond next year. I think best case scenario if Riley remembering how to hit and breaking camp in LF and then Waters (I think he'll be ready before Pache) being ready by early to middle of the season. Riley/Acuna/Waters would be a nice OF.

If the Braves look to sign a FA starter this is a solid year to do it. I would be ok with Keuchel coming back but only if it is a team friendly deal. He's definitely not an ace but he's good enough as a 3 or 4 on this team. Currently Soroka, Fried, and Folty are the only locks. Julio should be gone. We have Kyle Wright and Ian Anderson as the top internal options but Wright has been iffy so far in the majors and Anderson likely won't be ready until mid season. I don't want to part with a draft pick for Bumgarner and Wheeler likely will cost too much. Cole Hamels would be intriguing. Maybe Rick Porcello? I could get on board with a rotation of Soroka, Fried, Folty, Hamels, and Wright/Anderson/Wilson.
    2019 Vikings Draft :
    Round 1: Garrett Bradbury C N.C. State
    Round 2: Irv Smith TE Alabama
    Round 3: Alex Mattison RB Boise State
    Round 4: Dru Samia G Oklahoma
    Round 5: Cameron Smith LB USC
    Round 6: Armon Watts DT Arkansas
    Round 6: Marcus Epps S Wyoming
    Round 6: Oli Udoh OT Elon
    Round 7: Kris Boyd CB Texas
    Round 7: Dillon Mitchell WR Oregon
    Round 7: Olabisi Johnson WR Colorado State
    Round 7: Austin Cutting LS Air Force

Teheran has an option. He stays unless he is traded.

Quote Originally Posted by vikingsfan0845 View Post
    I am going to assume the Brewers will pick up on the option on Grandal (they would be crazy not to) so unless a trade is made catcher is looking like a tough position to fill. The options in FA are slim. Flowers currently has the 3rd his WAR of the potential guys available. Maybe Yan Gomes if the Nats decline his option. Other than that a trade is the best option.

Most of the roster is already set for 2020:

C: ?
    1B: Freeman
    2B: Albies
    3B: ?
    SS: Swanson
    LF: Acuna
    CF: ?
    RF?

Camargo and Culberson will be our main bench options. I expect Flowers will be back, only because the other options are actually even worse. Duvall has an year of arb left so he could factor into the bench. Inciarte is still under contract. I'm not at all interested in picking up Markakis's option.

I'll be curious to see if the Braves hold onto Inciarte. He's signed 2 more years with an option for a 3rd. Basically a 2 year 17.425 deal including the buy out. Unless we are wowed by an offer or he can be included in a trade for a starter/closer/catcher then it's probably best to keep him. He can always be relegated to the bench. We have other internal options in the OF but who knows if/when Waters or Pache will be ready or how Riley is going to respond next year. I think best case scenario if Riley remembering how to hit and breaking camp in LF and then Waters (I think he'll be ready before Pache) being ready by early to middle of the season. Riley/Acuna/Waters would be a nice OF.

If the Braves look to sign a FA starter this is a solid year to do it. I would be ok with Keuchel coming back but only if it is a team friendly deal. He's definitely not an ace but he's good enough as a 3 or 4 on this team. Currently Soroka, Fried, and Folty are the only locks. Julio should be gone. We have Kyle Wright and Ian Anderson as the top internal options but Wright has been iffy so far in the majors and Anderson likely won't be ready until mid season. I don't want to part with a draft pick for Bumgarner and Wheeler likely will cost too much. Cole Hamels would be intriguing. Maybe Rick Porcello? I could get on board with a rotation of Soroka, Fried, Folty, Hamels, and Wright/Anderson/Wilson.
    1. It is a mutual option, no way Grandal accept it, heīll be a free agent.

2. Why not? An average bat who is always healthy and is one of the most respected players out there for 2M is a no brainer to me, heīs an exceptional bench piece along with Duvall.

3. I donīt want us to pursue a starter like Keuchel, Porcello or Hamels. Keuchel canīt be trusted in the playoffs and his peripherals are going the wrong way, the same can be said of Porcello and Hamels, we need someone with a higher ceiling, someone we can trust in a playoff game in case one of our top guys is struggling or injured by that time.

Someone briefly mentioned Newcomb and his role on next year's team in the playoff thread. I think they basically either have decided or will decide that he's done as a starter and that he will be a full-time reliever next year.

His numbers during the regular season this year as a reliever:

53.1IP with a 3.04 ERA and 1.16 WHIP. Hitters line against him as a reliever: .215/.291/.370/.661

I think they will just choose to keep in the bullpen where he's been pretty effective for Atlanta.

Quote Originally Posted by beldugo View Post
    1. It is a mutual option, no way Grandal accept it, heīll be a free agent.

2. Why not? An average bat who is always healthy and is one of the most respected players out there for 2M is a no brainer to me, heīs an exceptional bench piece along with Duvall.

3. I donīt want us to pursue a starter like Keuchel, Porcello or Hamels. Keuchel canīt be trusted in the playoffs and his peripherals are going the wrong way, the same can be said of Porcello and Hamels, we need someone with a higher ceiling, someone we can trust in a playoff game in case one of our top guys is struggling or injured by that time.
    Didn't know that about Grandal. That changes things but I don't think AA expressed interest last year so we'll see if that changes.

Two straight years Markakis has been a no show in the playoffs. If he's brought back it won't just be as a bench bat. We all know Snit will trot him out there everyday again. I think it's time to move on. His option is for 6 million too. The buy out is 2 million.

I would love the Braves to find somebody better but do you think they'll spend on a top pitcher? Cole and Strasburg are pipe dreams. I do think Wheeler would be a great fit but I don't know what his price tag will be. The Indians already announced they picked up Klubers option. Bumgarner might be pricey and will have a draft pick attached to him. I would assume the Cubs decline their option for Quintana but he hasn't been very good since the Cubs got him. I doubt Ryu leaves LA. So if Wheeler is too expensive or signs elsewhere, what are the best options left? Maybe you could get Quintana on a bargain deal and hope he bounces back. Odorizzi is solid but wouldn't move the needle. Wheeler is likely the best realistic option the Braves have.
    2019 Vikings Draft :

Didn't know that about Grandal. That changes things but I don't think AA expressed interest last year so we'll see if that changes.

Two straight years Markakis has been a no show in the playoffs. If he's brought back it won't just be as a bench bat. We all know Snit will trot him out there everyday again. I think it's time to move on. His option is for 6 million too. The buy out is 2 million.

I would love the Braves to find somebody better but do you think they'll spend on a top pitcher? Cole and Strasburg are pipe dreams. I do think Wheeler would be a great fit but I don't know what his price tag will be. The Indians already announced they picked up Klubers option. Bumgarner might be pricey and will have a draft pick attached to him. I would assume the Cubs decline their option for Quintana but he hasn't been very good since the Cubs got him. I doubt Ryu leaves LA. So if Wheeler is too expensive or signs elsewhere, what are the best options left? Maybe you could get Quintana on a bargain deal and hope he bounces back. Odorizzi is solid but wouldn't move the needle. Wheeler is likely the best realistic option the Braves have.
    We obviously have money to spend and not many places to spend it, since we aren't going after Strasburg or Cole, Grandal and Donaldson make the most sense, we fill two holes at a decent price, It would be a mistake from AA if he doesn't look at Grandal this offseason.

Yeah, I stand correctly on Markakis, No way I'm spending an additional 4MM on him, there's always opportunities in ST to get bench pieces like Joyce.

I haven't dwell too deep in the SP market because the web is too wide right now, but there are a lot of choices, when I have some time I would check what I think are the best options, but as you said, at first glance Wheeler looks like a great choice. Bumgarner feels a bit like Keuchel, his peripherals are going the wrong way, his GB% is down while his HR% is up. Risky signing. I wouldn't mind getting someone with a QO attached this year, maybe Wheeler will have one.

Quote Originally Posted by beldugo View Post
    We obviously have money to spend and not many places to spend it, since we aren't going after Strasburg or Cole, Grandal and Donaldson make the most sense, we fill two holes at a decent price, It would be a mistake from AA if he doesn't look at Grandal this offseason.

Yeah, I stand correctly on Markakis, No way I'm spending an additional 4MM on him, there's always opportunities in ST to get bench pieces like Joyce.

I haven't dwell too deep in the SP market because the web is too wide right now, but there are a lot of choices, when I have some time I would check what I think are the best options, but as you said, at first glance Wheeler looks like a great choice. Bumgarner feels a bit like Keuchel, his peripherals are going the wrong way, his GB% is down while his HR% is up. Risky signing. I wouldn't mind getting someone with a QO attached this year, maybe Wheeler will have one.
    I would really like to get Grandal. If we can't/don't sign him, our catching spot might be scary. We may end up being forced to trade for a catcher. Flowers and Jackson would be a bad combo.

I went through some catchers and I wonder if the Cubs would entertain a trade for Willson Contreras. He is entering his first year of arb and money is supposedly pretty tight in Chicago. They have Victor Caratini as an internal replacement. Contreras would get them a pretty nice haul. Just a thought.
    2019 Vikings Draft :

Didn't AA throw his hat in on a Realmuto trade? Before they asked for too much obviously...Grandal can definitely be an option. Does fit that category of instant upgrade...offensively at least.

I doubt that The Mets would let The Braves out bid them for Wheeler who definately will get a QO. If the Yankees or Phillies do not get Cole , they will be players for Wheeler.

I’d expect the Braves to platoon at catcher again, especially since they drafted a college catcher in the first round.

Quote Originally Posted by thomass View Post
    I’d expect the Braves to platoon at catcher again, especially since they drafted a college catcher in the first round.
    We need to stop thinking this way a bit, can't always rely on prospects. The future is now for the Braves, if you tell me that we drafted and advanced number one pick, then I agree, but that's not the case with Langerliers. The soonest Shea could be trusted as a key piece on a championship team is probably 5 years.

We're not rebuilding anymore, we need an upgrade today.

Sounds like Ron Washington is one of the finalists for the Padres job. I hope we don't lose him but I think he would be a great fit for them.
    2019 Vikings Draft :

Isn't Cole Hamels set to be a free agent too? Could be worth a look once the other top guys are gone and his price shouldn't be too high. I view him similarly to MadBum at this point.

Hope we don't lose Washington, I like him a lot and he seems to be good for the players.

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast