Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 58 of 64 FirstFirst ... 8485657585960 ... LastLast
    And people thought I was wrong saying Ozuna would take a short contract with a high AAV...

My question now is who goes to the bench in the OF? Markakis offers more offense, but Inciarte offers more defense.

I personally think Inciarte should be traded. For one, it saves ATL $$. Second, there are numerous teams looking for a CF, so Ender has value. With Pache & Waters getting close to ML ready, Inciarte is becoming even more expandable.

I would like a platoon of Marky/Riley with Camargo @ 3B. That would leave a lineup of

Acuna
    Albies
    Freeman
    Ozuna
    Marky/Riley
    Camargo
    Catcher
    Swanson
    Pitcher

That is really good infield defense with a very deep lineup (as long as Camargo hits).

Quote Originally Posted by ME86 View Post
    I never wanted JD back. I want us to go all in. You spend a small fortune to fix the bullpen yet leaves holes all over the offense. I wanted a big bat in the outfield. We just got that. Now I want one more big proven bat to lengthen our lineup and make is legitimate contenders. We are banking on Swanson taking the next step. Markakis and Duvall to be serviceable but both are basically over the hill players with no real value. Then they are banking on one or both of carmargo or Riley to take a big step. Those are huge holes in our offense.
    I don´t see "those huge holes in our offense" We have a sure average to above average offensive player at every position but third baseman and maybe SS. Not many teams can say that, at the end of the year there's a chance that isn't the case, Swanson is really close to being an average offensive player and Riley was a top 100 prospect last year, there's a decent chance he can blossom into an offensive force this year, if not, Camargo was an above average player in 2018. So, is not like we don't have a plan for those spots or are hoping for something out of the realms of possibilities to happen in order to achieve an elite lineup with length. The Braves are in position to have a deep playoff run.

I think it's important to remember where this team was as of opening day 2019. Let's recap:

1. Inciarte CF
    2. Donaldson 3B
    3. Freeman 1B
    4. Acuna LF
    5. Markakis RF
    6. Albies 2B
    7. McCann C
    8. Swanson SS

Bench: Matt Joyce, Johan Camargo, Charlie Culberson, Tyler Flowers

Rotation (Folty was hurt):
    Julio Teheran
    Bryse Wilson
    Kyle Wright
    Sean Newcomb
    Max Fried

Bullpen:
    Arodys Vizcaino
    Jonny Venters
    Jesse Biddle
    Chad Sobotka
    Shane Carle
    Wes Parsons
    Josh Tomlin
    Luke Jackson

Now let's fast forward a year and the projected opening 2020 roster:

1. Acuna RF
    2. Albies 2B
    3. Freeman 1B
    4. Ozuna LF
    5. Camargo/Riley 3B
    6. Swanson SS
    7. d'Arnaud C
    8. Inciarte CF

Bench: Adeiny Hechavarria, Nick Markakis, Camargo/Riley, Tyler Flowers, Charlie Culberson

Rotation:
    1. Mike Soroka RHP
    2. Cole Hamels LHP
    3. Max Fried LHP
    4. Mike Foltynewicz RHP
    5. ?

Bullpen:
    Will Smith LHP
    Mark Melancon RHP
    Shane Greene RHP
    Chris Martin RHP
    Darren O'Day RHP
    Luke Jackson RHP
    Jacob Webb RHP
    ? LHP

Sean Newcomb will factor in somewhere, either as the 5th starter or in the bullpen. If Newk wins a rotation spot then I would guess a lefty reliever like Minter, Dayton, or Pfeifer will fight for the last bullpen spot. Newk in the bullpen means somebody like Kyle Wright or Bryse Wilson or even Felix Hernandez could snatch the 5th spot in the rotation.

The lineup isn't quite as good but probably has more potential because of Riley. The rotation is better and the bullpen is substantially better. There trade deadline presents another opportunity to get better and prospects like Pache, Waters, and Anderson will likely be knocking on the door at some point this year. I like where this team is at.
    2019 Vikings Draft :
    Round 1: Garrett Bradbury C N.C. State
    Round 2: Irv Smith TE Alabama
    Round 3: Alex Mattison RB Boise State
    Round 4: Dru Samia G Oklahoma
    Round 5: Cameron Smith LB USC
    Round 6: Armon Watts DT Arkansas
    Round 6: Marcus Epps S Wyoming
    Round 6: Oli Udoh OT Elon
    Round 7: Kris Boyd CB Texas
    Round 7: Dillon Mitchell WR Oregon
    Round 7: Olabisi Johnson WR Colorado State
    Round 7: Austin Cutting LS Air Force

Quote Originally Posted by Coach100 View Post
    And people thought I was wrong saying Ozuna would take a short contract with a high AAV...

My question now is who goes to the bench in the OF? Markakis offers more offense, but Inciarte offers more defense.

I personally think Inciarte should be traded. For one, it saves ATL $$. Second, there are numerous teams looking for a CF, so Ender has value. With Pache & Waters getting close to ML ready, Inciarte is becoming even more expandable.

I would like a platoon of Marky/Riley with Camargo @ 3B. That would leave a lineup of

Acuna
    Albies
    Freeman
    Ozuna
    Marky/Riley
    Camargo
    Catcher
    Swanson
    Pitcher

That is really good infield defense with a very deep lineup (as long as Camargo hits).
    I have to say, I was surprised he took a one year deal. Betting on himself is a big deal, let's hope for him and us that it was a wise decision. I think having Inciarte playing everyday makes us a slightly better team than having Markakis/Duvall, a bit less offense but better defense and speed. If the payroll is at it's limit then I would rather trade Inciarte and have that flexibility to spent at the deadline. If we still have some room, then keep him a play him in CF everyday, Markakis and Duvall are very good bench pieces.

Braves are stacked. AA is a magician. If we can finally win a playoff series this year, I like our chances.
    Smart Person List: BRAVE KID, Beldugo, flea, Jeffy25

I think Inciarte is guaranteed a roster spot at least until the trade deadline. Without Inciarte, Acuna is the only major league center fielder we have. If Acuna were to be injured then the Braves are forced to promote Pache. I don't think the team will want to promote Pache until he forces them to do so. My guess is they'll hold onto him for 1 more year unless Pache tears the cover off the ball in AAA and the Braves trade Inciarte at the deadline to promote him. I think Inciarte staying put is more likely. Plus, Inciarte is coming off a down year. A good 2020 season will help rebuild his value.
    2019 Vikings Draft :

2019 Vikings Draft :

someone else said this on twitter but, its really weird seeing Felix Hernandez being listed as a non-roster invitee to spring training

The offense is probably not as good. We switched out a .380 on base guy w/ .900 ops for a .325 on base guy w/ .800 ops.

That said, I am much more confident in the bullpen and the starting rotation is better, but has just as many questions as last yrs end of yr. Hamels has to stay healthy and I do think an extra yr gives Wright or Wilson a shot at growth and to be in the rotation. The bullpen is a massive, massive difference and upgrade.

With tons of money coming off, and tons of young talent in the wings w/ Pache and Waters, Anderson. Wright, Wilson, etc...I still thought that was the window to be able to take Donaldson and think he made us a better team than Ozuna, especially because the same Riley or Camargo could play OF.

I don't hate it at all, and I still wanna believe in Riley, but Camargo isn't going to be that great, his swing is God awful and w/ very poor mechancs that don't replicate, he will neber be consistent. Said he was a fluke a couple yrs ago, don't see him being more than a bench bat. Honestly, should have ditched him and Newcomb when we could have sold very high

The great thing is that Ozuna, Inciarte and Kakes hardly strike out. Duvall strikes once every 4 at bats, but hits a home run once every 13 pa. Use Duvall off the bench for the long ball threat.

Not sure if the lack of striking out changes the 60 pt on base and 100 pt ops numbers, because you add a guy that hits into a lot more double plays. Inciarte might matter about not striking out because of his speed, but give me more strikeouts with better production personally.

Quote Originally Posted by vtgriff09 View Post
    Not sure if the lack of striking out changes the 60 pt on base and 100 pt ops numbers, because you add a guy that hits into a lot more double plays. Inciarte might matter about not striking out because of his speed, but give me more strikeouts with better production personally.
    Read the article beldugo posted when you get a chance. Seems Ozuna has had some bad luck the last two years. 49% of his batted balls were hit 95 mph or harder, which was 14th best in baseball. Statcast loves him. But for some reason the results don’t match. The below article thinks Ozuna’s swing is causing the ball to side spin and lose distance. His career year in 2017 he was pulling the ball more, 33% compared to 25%. So it sounds like it is possible for him to replicate his 2017 season if he can figure out a way to pull the ball more. Plus, he’s another year removed from shoulder surgery and hitting in a slightly more favorable ball park. Both of fangraphs projections think Ozuna will hit 26-33 homers and an OPS between .840 and .850. I think we all would gladly take those numbers.

https://www.birdsontheblack.com/post...na-has-a-slice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2019 Vikings Draft :

I agree Ozuna has some bad luck and could return to all-star status. A trade for Lindor or Bryant could make this offense absolutely lethal! However if Riley hits like he hit in the minors, we’d be a very good offense. So I won’t be bombed if this is our last big move, but I’d like the splash.

Also.... I wouldn’t be surprised if Green is Delt, wouldn’t be surprised if he was kept either. Hoping King Felix has aRodger Clemons like comeback.

Acuna
    Albies
    Bryant
    Freeman
    Ozuna
    Markakis
    d’Anaurd
    Pitcher
    Swanson

Or
    Swanson.... if he truly gets it together
    Albies
    Acuna
    Freeman
    Bryant
    Ozuna
    Markakis
    d’Anaurd
    Pitcher...

..... A guy can dream right?
    Last edited by SB75; 01-23-2020 at 11:36 AM.

Page 58 of 64 FirstFirst ... 8485657585960 ... LastLast