Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 19 of 61 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SB75 View Post
    From ESPN One blockbuster move for all 30 mlb teams.

KC gets: Inciarte, Wright, and Alex Jackson.

Atl gets: Jorge Solar

Would you do it?
    No, because Soler will be a free agent after this season.

Quote Originally Posted by hector olivera? View Post
    No, because Soler will be a free agent after this season.
    Not for the move, but your information is incorrect according to Sportac. He has arb coming 21 according to them.

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/kansas-c...e-soler-10723/

Quote Originally Posted by vikingsfan0845 View Post
    Don’t compare how the team looked at the end of 2019. There is still a long ways to go this off season and the trade deadline. Better to look at the opening day roster from last year to see how far the team has come. We had Teheran as the opening day starter and our bullpen had guys like Carle, Biddle, and Viz as the top arms. We’re pretty far ahead of where the roster was as of opening day. Plus it’s likely AA makes a trade or two at the deadline to improve the team for the stretch run. We don’t need to have every question answered before opening day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This is a very good point, if we do resign JD, we are ahead at this point, no questions. The issue here is that we have also spent a lot more money (if we resign JD) at this point, do we have some more cash to spend at the deadline?

Quote Originally Posted by HowFit View Post
    Would love for us to get Lindor here. Trading for him and signing DJ. Trying to figure out our top half batting lineup with those 2 additions. Drop Freeman 4th and DJ 5th while Lindor squeeze in 3rd slot?
    After signing Hamels i don't think there's enough cash to get both Lindor and Donaldson. If we strikeout on JD, I would turn into Travis Shaw, he had a terrible year in 2019 but had 7 fWAR between 2017 and 2018. Good bounce back candidate for cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by beldugo View Post
    This is a very good point, if we do resign JD, we are ahead at this point, no questions. The issue here is that we have also spent a lot more money (if we resign JD) at this point, do we have some more cash to spend at the deadline?
    I was wondering the same thing. It’s been reported in the past AA likes to hold back around 7 million or so for the trade deadline. If we’re back in the playoff hunt I’ll be surprised if Liberty Media balks at another 7 million after the spending spree we are currently on. I believe in AA so I’m not really too worried about it. We just need to hold our breathe that AA can get Donaldson back. I mean, I feel like as long we make a really competitive offer he should be willing to come back. When you consider the season we just had and the additions we’ve made so far this team looks a WS contender with him. Plus, he’s from the south. I hope Donaldson feels the same way lol

2019 Vikings Draft :
    Round 1: Garrett Bradbury C N.C. State
    Round 2: Irv Smith TE Alabama
    Round 3: Alex Mattison RB Boise State
    Round 4: Dru Samia G Oklahoma
    Round 5: Cameron Smith LB USC
    Round 6: Armon Watts DT Arkansas
    Round 6: Marcus Epps S Wyoming
    Round 6: Oli Udoh OT Elon
    Round 7: Kris Boyd CB Texas
    Round 7: Dillon Mitchell WR Oregon
    Round 7: Olabisi Johnson WR Colorado State
    Round 7: Austin Cutting LS Air Force

I do not even consider the Soler trade. Enough guys hit 30 hrs last yr to make it not special. Not a great obp guy, not a great defender at all and it costs you a gold glove cf, a prospect catcher and an elite prospect sp who is mlb ready? Nope.

Hamels is an ok move, and I think this one yr bandaid strategy is wearing thin, especially after getting long term amazing discounts on Acuna and Albies. At some point an ace we can count on one yr is better than an expensive 1 yr #3 pitcher.

If we lose Donaldson and go with Camargo/Riley, then we have to upgrade an OF spot offensively by moving Inciarte or Duval. This would be done via trade.

2019/20 Off Season Braves Transaction Predictions

Quote Originally Posted by vtgriff09 View Post
    I do not even consider the Soler trade. Enough guys hit 30 hrs last yr to make it not special. Not a great obp guy, not a great defender at all and it costs you a gold glove cf, a prospect catcher and an elite prospect sp who is mlb ready? Nope.

Hamels is an ok move, and I think this one yr bandaid strategy is wearing thin, especially after getting long term amazing discounts on Acuna and Albies. At some point an ace we can count on one yr is better than an expensive 1 yr #3 pitcher.

If we lose Donaldson and go with Camargo/Riley, then we have to upgrade an OF spot offensively by moving Inciarte or Duval. This would be done via trade.
    I wouldn’t call Hamels just an ok move. Bandaid maybe but IMO it’s pretty good move. 2.36 ERA in 12 starts after he was traded to the Cubs in 2018 and then a 2.98 ERA in 17 starts before he injured his oblique. If he stays healthy it’s pretty realistic for him to post a 3-3.50 ERA and a WAR of 3+. I’ll gladly take on a 1 year deal, regardless of dollar amount. Plus, as I’ve been saying, his presence around our young pitchers will likely be invaluable.

2019 Vikings Draft :

I´m not a big fan of Soler, but there´s a difference between hitting 30 homers and hitting 48 which he did. As you said, not a big OBP guy or much of a defender. The floor is too low on him, he relies so much in his power that if the juice ball is replaced or he don´t get as many, he doesn´t have much value.

Edit*. After looking closely at his numbers he had a .354 OBP in 2019 which is quite nice, in fact he´s a career 10 BB%, which is above average, so he might be good. Still, the offer is a bit high for my taste.
    Last edited by beldugo; 12-05-2019 at 09:40 AM.

Overall, I think the rotation as it currently stands is definitely better than the OD 2019 rotation and certainly ahead of them as far as certainty is concerned.

Heading into the 2019 season, there were 4 guys that we knew would be in the rotation: Folty, Teheran, Newcomb and Gausman. Beyond that, there was a large group of younger guys vying for the last spot: Fried, Touissaint, Wright, Wilson.

The rotation early in the 2019 season ended up being:
    Teheran
    Folty
    Newcomb
    Gausman
    Fried

Of that group, Gausman completely melted down (ERA of 6.00+ in 16 starts) as well as Folty and Newcomb struggled as well. Newcomb was sent to the bullpen pretty quickly, Gausman was mostly left in the rotation and continued to struggle while Folty missed some time at the beginning of the season and struggled for a good chunk of the season. So, basically, 3 out of the 5 guys that were expected to make up the rotation struggled significantly, forcing the mid-season signing of Keuchel, forcing Wright and Wilson to each make 4 starts (even though neither guy was really totally ready) and, worst of all, basically forcing the team to stick it out with Gausman for 16 starts because they didn't have other options.

I think the rotation is a good bit more settled this season and that we are unlikely to see three-fifths of the rotation meltdown like what happened in 2020. The rotation likely would be:

Soroka
    Hamels
    Folty
    Fried
    Newcomb

The positives: Soroka & Fried are a year older and a little more experienced and we get a full season out of each of them. Folty likewise should be good for more than the 117 innings that he gave the Braves in 2019, which will certainly help. I don't really see any of the guys struggling to the degree that Gausman did in 2019 (6.19 ERA in 16 starts) and, if they do, I don't think Atlanta will necessarily have to stick it out and live with it like they did with Gausman.

The Reds look to be aggressive this off-season. They're pursuing both Bumgarner and Ozuna after signing Moose...

2019/20 Off Season Braves Transaction Predictions

Being a Vikings fan, I follow a lot of Minnesota beat writers. Pineda resigned with the Twins but one of their beat writers noted the Braves were one of 5 teams pursing Pineda.

2019 Vikings Draft :

Last season we expected Folty to be great and Newcomb to be good....regression happened (as many of us were saying to move 1 or both of these guys before last season, but Folty bounced back). Newcomb is a trade candidate in my opinion, just hasn't ever put his command and stuff together consistently. I do worry that we waited too long and lost a ton of value...I ak expecting a young arm to take that 5th spot, be it Wright, Wilson, Touissant or Anderson. Wright and Anderson I still believe can be very very good starters to great. Wilson and Touissant are running out of time in ATL. They are part of a package to get an outfield upgrade if you ask me, say Haniger, Marte (costly?) or even a starter like Boyd.

Hamels can be very good, but his health is always a question. I like him as a playoff starter ahead of Keuchel, but Keuchel is a better reg season pitcher because of his consistency and better health track record.

I didn't even realize Soler got to 48 dingers last yr....wow. But another guy who hasn't put many healthy yrs together.

Am I missing something on Hamels and his injury history? The guy has started at least 30 games every year since 2008 except in 2017 (24) & 2019 (27). That doesn’t really feel like a l guy with an injury issue.

Last season we expected Folty to be great and Newcomb to be good....regression happened (as many of us were saying to move 1 or both of these guys before last season, but Folty bounced back). Newcomb is a trade candidate in my opinion, just hasn't ever put his command and stuff together consistently. I do worry that we waited too long and lost a ton of value...I ak expecting a young arm to take that 5th spot, be it Wright, Wilson, Touissant or Anderson. Wright and Anderson I still believe can be very very good starters to great. Wilson and Touissant are running out of time in ATL. They are part of a package to get an outfield upgrade if you ask me, say Haniger, Marte (costly?) or even a starter like Boyd.

Hamels can be very good, but his health is always a question. I like him as a playoff starter ahead of Keuchel, but Keuchel is a better reg season pitcher because of his consistency and better health track record.

I didn't even realize Soler got to 48 dingers last yr....wow. But another guy who hasn't put many healthy yrs together.
    How is Wilson´s time running out? He´s had 5 career starts for the Braves and is only 21 years old. Was really good at AAA this past year, he´s far from being out of time. Touki is already 23 and was terrible in AAA in 2019, his 70 IP in the majors haven´t been good either, with him I agree, time is running out. It might be time to move him to the pen.

I am not even sure time is “running out” on a 23 yr old. We all forget that 23 is still pretty young. If he is 25 and still struggling - that’s a different story.

I would also include Touki in a trade as a 2/3 piece without a doubt. Let someone else take the chance on his upside.

Page 19 of 61 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast