Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17252627
    Quote Originally Posted by thomass View Post
    Donaldson is gone imo and Im guessing the nats. I think a lot of people are downplaying Riley because he slumped towards the end. But hes proven he can hit and hit for power.
    I disagree. Riley spent like a month crushing the ball, then he struggled the rest of the way.

His first 59 ABs...
    .356/.397/.746 - 7 HR, 20 RBI, 21 SO, 3 BB

His last 215 ABs...
    .190/.251/.441 - 11 HR 29 RBI, 87 SO, 13 BB

That would suggest a hot streak with a giant fall-off. 215 ABs with that line is not a guy you hand the responsibility of replacing Donaldson.

Also, some people act like Riley has this awesome track record in the minors, but those numbers always came with the same concerns - could he translate it to the majors? What we saw out of Riley in ATL last year was 100% what people worried about when he was a prospect - huge power, awful SO rate, low BA and OBP. As Riley had to face better pitchers with better scouting reports, he struggled badly and showed very little signs of improvement. I am by no means saying he is a done or a finished product, but I think he is best suited for a platoon role where he will get some regular ABs, some regular time in the OF, and some PH chances. He should have to grow in that role first before he is handed a starting job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by thomass View Post
    Donaldson is gone imo and Im guessing the nats. I think a lot of people are downplaying Riley because he slumped towards the end. But hes proven he can hit and hit for power.
    Riley didn't just slump towards the end. He slumped basically the majority of his time in the majors.

May: 15 games; .356/.397/.746/1.143 with 7 homers
    June: 28 games; .226/.287/.491./.778 with 7 homers
    July: 21 games; .156/.214/.266/.480 2 homers
    Sept/Oct: 14 games; .132/.190/.263/.454 with 1 homer

He was basically useless during the 2nd half. He needs to make some big adjustments. MLB pitchers figured him out quickly and he had no response. His 36% strike out % would have led the majors. I still have faith in him long term but expecting him to be ready full time for the job is very risky.
    2019 Vikings Draft :
    Round 1: Garrett Bradbury C N.C. State
    Round 2: Irv Smith TE Alabama
    Round 3: Alex Mattison RB Boise State
    Round 4: Dru Samia G Oklahoma
    Round 5: Cameron Smith LB USC
    Round 6: Armon Watts DT Arkansas
    Round 6: Marcus Epps S Wyoming
    Round 6: Oli Udoh OT Elon
    Round 7: Kris Boyd CB Texas
    Round 7: Dillon Mitchell WR Oregon
    Round 7: Olabisi Johnson WR Colorado State
    Round 7: Austin Cutting LS Air Force

Quote Originally Posted by Coach100 View Post
    I disagree. Riley spent like a month crushing the ball, then he struggled the rest of the way.

His first 59 ABs...
    .356/.397/.746 - 7 HR, 20 RBI, 21 SO, 3 BB

His last 215 ABs...
    .190/.251/.441 - 11 HR 29 RBI, 87 SO, 13 BB

That would suggest a hot streak with a giant fall-off. 215 ABs with that line is not a guy you hand the responsibility of replacing Donaldson.

Also, some people act like Riley has this awesome track record in the minors, but those numbers always came with the same concerns - could he translate it to the majors? What we saw out of Riley in ATL last year was 100% what people worried about when he was a prospect - huge power, awful SO rate, low BA and OBP. As Riley had to face better pitchers with better scouting reports, he struggled badly and showed very little signs of improvement. I am by no means saying he is a done or a finished product, but I think he is best suited for a platoon role where he will get some regular ABs, some regular time in the OF, and some PH chances. He should have to grow in that role first before he is handed a starting job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Agreed 100%
    2019 Vikings Draft :
    Round 1: Garrett Bradbury C N.C. State
    Round 2: Irv Smith TE Alabama
    Round 3: Alex Mattison RB Boise State
    Round 4: Dru Samia G Oklahoma
    Round 5: Cameron Smith LB USC
    Round 6: Armon Watts DT Arkansas
    Round 6: Marcus Epps S Wyoming
    Round 6: Oli Udoh OT Elon
    Round 7: Kris Boyd CB Texas