Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 40 of 109 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DamnGoat View Post
    Therein lies the rub.

This was going on in China since late November. They didn't even allow WHO, CDC, or other independent scientists to investigate or help until mid January. If you'd been following it since it started in China, then you probably knew how serious it was, but most people didn't even know it existed. There are countless videos of government officials saying it's not a big deal. WHO said on January 14th that there was "no clear evidence of human to human transmission." Even Dr. Fauci downplayed it in late January.

I don't think any country was prepared and I don't see how they could have been given the information, or lack thereof, coming out of China.
    True, but we still couldíve been on it earlier than we were. We had confirmed cases starting on the same day as South Korea and they jumped on it right away. Seem to have a better handle on it.

It sucks it keeps coming back to this topic, but thereís basically nothing else to discuss really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think we're all on edge right now. No worries.

I will ask, to any parents out there, what are you doing to keep your kids busy? I only have so many craft projects in my arsenal before we're parked on the couch every day watching Disney+.
    Not a parent yet myself so unfortunately I can't come up with anything from experience- but I do know my buddy bought a playset for the backyard for that reason. His kid's getting stir crazy, which is expected.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Click here to register!

Hope to see some new posters around here soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Cubby View Post
    True, but we still couldíve been on it earlier than we were. We had confirmed cases starting on the same day as South Korea and they jumped on it right away. Seem to have a better handle on it.

It sucks it keeps coming back to this topic, but thereís basically nothing else to discuss really.

Scientists have been warning of a pandemic for years, and the US decided to disband the pandemic response team in 2018, which is fantastic lol

Click here to register!

Much like I don't believe Italy is an accurate comp for our situation, I don't believe South Korea is either. We're 6.5x the size of that country and their healthcare is free.

There's too much ******** bureaucracy in our healthcare system that it's no wonder it's taken so much time. Major insurance companies had to be strong armed into covering it and labs had to suddenly be able to handle hundreds to thousands (depending on their location) of tests overnight.

The best comp probably would have have been China, but there's no way to trust their numbers in any capacity.

It just doesn't feel like there's a right answer to how to handle it from the start. I think we're mostly doing the right things now though, and like you said, are better prepared for the Fall months, because it's not like this will just disappear in the summer.
    Last edited by DamnGoat; 04-03-2020 at 05:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blams View Post
    Scientists have been warning of a pandemic for years, and the US decided to disband the pandemic response team in 2018, which is fantastic lol

In fairness, basically no western country has really handled this that well. Iíd imagine a lot of them probably have pandemic response teams and they still didnít act.

To play devilís advocate, if they took these measures around two months ago or so when there were so few cases, people probably wouldnít have listened and deemed it an overreaction. I mean a lot of people still think itís an overreaction NOW despite there being a million worldwide confirmed cases.

Much like I don't believe Italy is an accurate comp for our situation, I don't believe South Korea is either. We're 6.5x the size of that country and their healthcare is free.

There's too much ******** bureaucracy in our healthcare system that it's no wonder it's taken so much time. Major insurance companies had to be strong armed into covering it and labs had to suddenly be able to handle hundreds to thousands (depending on their location) of tests overnight.

The best comp probably would have have been China, but there's no way to trust their numbers in any capacity.

It just doesn't feel like there's a right answer to how to handle it from the start. I think we're mostly doing the right things now though, and like you said, are better prepared for the Fall months, because it's not like this will just disappear in the summer.
    Of course, but Iím sure a big reason it hasnít run rampant there is because they jumped on it early.

However, we donít really know. Singapore was on it earlier than anyone and today they announced now that theyíre locking down. So who knows?

In fairness, basically no western country has really handled this that well. Iíd imagine a lot of them probably have pandemic response teams and they still didnít act.

To play devilís advocate, if they took these measures around two months ago or so when there were so few cases, people probably wouldnít have listened and deemed it an overreaction. I mean a lot of people still think itís an overreaction NOW despite there being a million worldwide confirmed cases.

That's sorta the point I was trying to make, in more of a roundabout way.

The NYC health commissioner told people to go about their lives in early-mid March and said risk was very low. de Blasio reinforced that a couple days before the National Emergency was declared.

If that's the way leaders in our largest city are acting, it's probably not dissimilar to others in large cities, states, and national government.

New Orleans still held Mardi Gras...and now they're getting crushed. Several cities were still planning on St. Patrick's Day parades up until the last minute. There's tons of examples of government officials on every level not taking it seriously.
    Last edited by DamnGoat; 04-03-2020 at 05:46 PM.

Of course, but Iím sure a big reason it hasnít run rampant there is because they jumped on it early.

However, we donít really know. Singapore was on it earlier than anyone and today they announced now that theyíre locking down. So who knows?

Yeah, I don't believe we'll have a clear answer on these things until it's over... whenever that is.

Yeah, I don't believe we'll have a clear answer on these things until it's over... whenever that is.
    Yeah sadly I really think 2020 is basically gonna be punted across the board. I donít think we are fully past this thing until 2021.

the US decided to disband the pandemic response team in 2018, which is fantastic lol
    https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN21C32M

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...outputType=amp

I think we're all on edge right now. No worries.

I will ask, to any parents out there, what are you doing to keep your kids busy? I only have so many craft projects in my arsenal before we're parked on the couch every day watching Disney+.
    How old are the kids? I've got one and we have been doing all sorts of stuff. She is 7yo and autistic so we always have our hands full.

Therein lies the rub.

This was going on in China since late November. They didn't even allow WHO, CDC, or other independent scientists to investigate or help until mid January. If you'd been following it since it started in China, then you probably knew how serious it was, but most people didn't even know it existed. There are countless videos of government officials saying it's not a big deal. WHO said on January 14th that there was "no clear evidence of human to human transmission." Even Dr. Fauci downplayed it in late January.

I don't think any country was prepared and I don't see how they could have been given the information, or lack thereof, coming out of China.
    Plenty of medical professionals saw this coming in January and February. Not to make this political, but when Trump brought in John Bolton, they cut the Disaster/Outbreak Emergency protocol or whatever it was called that was put in place by the last administration. The initial response to this pandemic was horrible.

Yes, the media is irresponsible for sensationalizing it. Yes, the death rate is very skewed due to limited testing. But a damn near shut down of this country is almost necessary due to the pathetic response at the beginning of the year. The very first thing we have to worry about is that the hospitals can run properly. Once those go, it's all over. You can walk outside right now and see that people aren't following the ****ing rules...so perhaps we need something more strict put in place?

I'm a pharmacist. I have to touch and be near 100s of people a day. Coughing in my face. Touching my work area. Handing me their nasty prescriptions. Transacting with dirty, disgusting cash. And we have less PPE than doctors and nurses. I had to cover my pharmacy with a ****ing clear shower curtain to help prevent me and my staff from getting sick. So the people that are out partying and gathering in large groups can suck it. Everybody is complaining, but I'd love to be stuck inside the safety of my own home these days.

Sorry if I was coming off like a dick. Not meaning to.

Think I'm anxious about all of this lol. If I wake up in the middle of the night after falling asleep on a couch, it takes me hours to fall asleep.

I think my wife being diabetic along with respiratory illnesses hitting me hard contributes to it as well, but I NEVER have trouble sleeping lol

Maybe a hit or two of some stuff will help idk. Havent tried that as a sleep aid before.

Weed inhibits the body's ability to enter REM sleep. So while you may feel tired and doze off, you won't be getting the sleep that actually matters.

Not to say you didn't already know that, but if you didn't...I'm here to nerd it up for a little bit.

Click here to register!

The communication about wearing masks, initially, was irresponsible in my opinion. It was being said that masks likely won't help so that it would stop people from hoarding and so we could allow access for those that really, truly need them everyday for work.

But masks help. The data clearly shows it. And now the CDC has retracted their statements. Now encouraging everyone to wear masks because they see that mask wearing cultures are responding better.

A lot of the communication from the government was to put people's minds at ease. They didnt want the stock markets to crash. And now look where we are. Predicting 100k-240k American deaths. And number that I feel is a tad high, but also purposefully communicated so that when we come in with our final tally after its all said and done, Trump can say, "See how great i am? We didnt even hit 100k deaths. Vote for me again, I'm the savior."

Page 40 of 109 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090 ... LastLast