Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Can Devin Booker be a superstar?

Sports Illustrated and ESPN have him ranked as the 35th and 30th best player respectively.

Does he still have time to become a superstar or is he what he is already? He's only 22 years, but he's locked in to a horrible PHX team that shows no signs of getting him to play the right way. If it's not too late, when will be too late?

Here's what SI said:
    The Phoenix Suns, organizationally, have been a weight around his neck; four head coaching changes, squandered draft picks, roster mismanagement, and chronic losing don’t exactly foster the best developmental environment. It might even help to get the man a proper point guard, as we’ll finally see this season.Given all that, we can say unequivocally that Booker is not the reason that the Suns have been a terrible basketball team. Yet he also only does so much to improve their station due to the narrow scope of his game.
    Thoughts?

all i saw was can devin booker be

the answer was no..... then i opened the thread and saw the full title and the answer is still no or hell no... he is so insanely overrated its nuts and the suns should be fined for not stealing a kings ransom from another team for his overrated ***

Don't think his ceiling is a superstar considering his defensive woes, but what do you mean by the whole "play the right way" spiel?

No

Hard no. He doesn’t have IT

Quote Originally Posted by TrueFan420 View Post
    Hard no. He doesn’t have IT
    no easy no... he doesnt have it in an era where offense is coddled by the way and defense is literally not important what helps him... if you put this clown in the iverson era and i am super hard on iverson he is literally trash.... boooker is trash... move the **** on..... i have been screaming it even before his 70 plus point game... i have a dislike with how iverson played but in this era iverson would be a god... booker is ****.

Quote Originally Posted by VCaintdead17 View Post
    Don't think his ceiling is a superstar considering his defensive woes, but what do you mean by the whole "play the right way" spiel?
    Maybe this is the homer in me talking, but I feel with 100% surety, if you traded Booker to the Miami HEAT right now, in 3 years he's better than Beal and Kemba is right now, and considered at least as good a Irving by age 26.

Irving, is considered a superstar and Beal and Kemba are considered borderline superstars.

Of course Booker has to come in with a mindset that he needs to improve, but without a disciplined team with an accountability system, with good veterans and a proven coach in place it can't happen going to that next level. He literally CAN'T improve significantly remaining on Phoenix.

Quote Originally Posted by beasted86 View Post
    Maybe this is the homer in me talking, but I feel with 100% surety, if you traded Booker to the Miami HEAT right now, in 3 years he's better than Beal and Kemba is right now, and considered at least as good a Irving by age 26.

Irving, is considered a superstar and Beal and Kemba are considered borderline superstars.

Of course Booker has to come in with a mindset that he needs to improve, but without a disciplined team with an accountability system, with good veterans and a proven coach in place it can't happen going to that next level. He literally CAN'T improve significantly remaining on Phoenix.
    Disagree. 1A players, and he's a 1A on phoenix, are remarkably consistent year to year regardless of coaching or roster changes. Systems are already geared toward optimizing 1A players. You can't tell Booker he needs to play defense or have better shot selection, anymore than you could tell that to Melo. Either he figures it out himself or he doesn't.

The only way external factors make him improve is if he gets traded somewhere he's 3rd option on a contender, with clearly better players higher in the pecking order. Even then, we saw in Minnesota that having clearly better players ahead of him didn't humble Wiggins at all.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyRealist View Post
    Disagree. 1A players, and he's a 1A on phoenix, are remarkably consistent year to year regardless of coaching or roster changes. Systems are already geared toward optimizing 1A players. You can't tell Booker he needs to play defense or have better shot selection, anymore than you could tell that to Melo. Either he figures it out himself or he doesn't.

The only way external factors make him improve is if he gets traded somewhere he's 3rd option on a contender, with clearly better players higher in the pecking order. Even then, we saw in Minnesota that having clearly better players ahead of him didn't humble Wiggins at all.
    If he was a second or third option on my Bucks he be decent. But 1A on a lottery team he's a forgotten player easily. If he was on Clippers,Lakers,Bucks,76ers,Warriors this thread wouldn't exist.
    Last edited by MILLERHIGHLIFE; 09-26-2019 at 10:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by beasted86 View Post
    Sports Illustrated and ESPN have him ranked as the 35th and 30th best player respectively.
    Does he still have time to become a superstar or is he what he is already? He's only 22 years, but he's locked in to a horrible PHX team that shows no signs of getting him to play the right way. If it's not too late, when will be too late?
    Booker can be a solid star. But he needs a mentor, a team that emphasizes defense and to not be relied upon so much to put up points. Make him a second option behind a true alpha, and I bet he's a lot more effective.
    Booker should have played for Team USA in FIBA to help his brand and get some experience with better teammates and a more competitive playoff environment.

MTM and I are probably the biggest critics of this guy. But it is deserved. He cares more about getting his and his individual matchup, sounds weird saying that since he plays zero defense.

Someone who watched Melo grow up in Denver, he needs a hard nose coach that doesn’t play into the ********. Worst case you trade him off and get a ransom in return, and honestly this would be great for Phoenix long term.

Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    no easy no... he doesnt have it in an era where offense is coddled by the way and defense is literally not important what helps him... if you put this clown in the iverson era and i am super hard on iverson he is literally trash.... boooker is trash... move the **** on..... i have been screaming it even before his 70 plus point game... i have a dislike with how iverson played but in this era iverson would be a god... booker is ****.
    yeahhhh....doesn't really seem like you watch the dude, or are just speaking from you feelings. I'm not a huge Booker fan but I can recognize that he's a willing and capable passer. Top 10 in AST% this past season, and is in the 88th percentile in points generated by assists and 89th percentile in potential assists. Want to say its his USG that inflates all his numbers? Fine, lets whittle down to production per 75 possessions, which is about league average. At this production rate he's still a 25/5/5 player on 56% TS. Booker's offense is legit. What its not is empty stats on a bad team. He's capable of being a quality piece, and on a team with better player development he could be a better all around player.

Part of what you said falls right in line with Miami's situation. He would be the 1B on the HEAT next to Butler, but only for a few years due to Butler's age decline. He basically gets on the job training to grow and develop his game. This all requires a certain temperament to deal with Butler and a willingness to push himself harder than ever before.

Or if a coach is hired and secure enough in his position to not play him if he doesn't play defense. Like if Pop moved to the Suns Booker's defense would get better or he'd get traded.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast