Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 18 of 37 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    I didnít mean Contreras specifically. Just that those teams all have pitchers in a similar range as Anderson and they should all be buyers this offseason.

Whoever the Cubs trade, they need some high ceiling young pitching in this organization.
    Ah okay gotcha now

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

El Mago

Quote Originally Posted by ivyboys View Post
    Well I never actually proposed anything, I just mentioned him coming off a down year and if it were possible to buy low. Cleveland has already traded Bauer and Kluber is probably next considering his name came up last offseason. But I feel like they would want prospects, something we donít have enough of to get Ramirez.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If Cleveland wanted to sell low on Rameriez, id certianly be interested but it would be hard to pencil him into a guarenteed spot. I would not trade Bryant to create a spot at 3rd for him. Only peraon i would do that for is Rendon. Its an interesting idea though.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    You think the Cubs would sign both Wood and Wheeler? I don't.
    They have been attached to Wheeler. I could see it happening for him. I have no interest in Wood. Id honestly rather keep Q over Wheeler.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Cubs rest of season IGT

I don't think we are "doomed".

I think the Cubs would be silly to think there's a better buy right now than a Quintana one year deal on his option. You'll be unlikely to find someone who's significantly better on a better contract. Quintana on that gives you a lot of options. Trade at the deadline. A solid back end arm. No commitment.
    For a team that doesnít figure to have a great amount of money to use 9.5 could really help get them a more important piece than a 4 starter. Thereís better use for the money IMO . It isnít as simple as just saying well his option is good value for year. I get your point but when I look at their needs and how the budget picture may look i donít agree it makes sense to pick that up unless they can deal him relatively early in the offseason so that money doesnít hurt them in pursuing other targets.

With that said I am not sure too many teams will call quickly . They could probably trade him later in the offseason once FA plays itself out and teams miss out on targets .

Last edited by Dfan25; 09-26-2019 at 11:59 PM.

El Mago

Quote Originally Posted by Dfan25 View Post
    For a team that doesnít figure to have a great amount of money to use 9.5 could really help get them a more important piece than a 4 starter. Thereís better use for the money IMO . It isnít as simple as just saying well his option is good value for year. I get your point but when I look at their needs and how the budget picture may look i donít agree it makes sense to pick that option up.

In a perfect world I pick the option up and trade him but I am not sure too many teams will call quickly . They could probably trade him later in the offseason once FA plays itself out and teams miss out on targets but that could cause them to lose out on a potencial target while waiting for someone to trade for Q if they need that money.

That's the thing though. The Cubs need a 4 starter. The money you save on him will almost assuredly go right back there. The Cubs aren't likely to trade for a 4 SP who's ready next year. If they trade for pitching it will more likely come in a minor leaguer.

If they decline Q they have to probably sign someone. You're not going to save enough. Even on Wood. The best you're saving is $4m or so. There's just no likely upside there.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

That's the thing though. The Cubs need a 4 starter. The money you save on him will almost assuredly go right back there. The Cubs aren't likely to trade for a 4 SP who's ready next year. If they trade for pitching it will more likely come in a minor leaguer.

If they decline Q they have to probably sign someone. You're not going to save enough. Even on Wood. The best you're saving is $4m or so. There's just no likely upside there.

I disagree with the assumption that they are not likely to trade for a starter that can be in the rotation next year. Even if it is a minor leaguer it could be someone ready to step into the rotation . If it comes down to replacing Q with a FA i be fine putting those 9.5 towards Wheeler which is pretty much realistic if Q is buy out. He is better than Q right now has more upside than Q and would be sign for more than just 2020.

Thatís better use of that money to me. Even if they canít sign Wood I am fine with Chatwood as the 5th if it comes down to that. I explained why in my previous reply.

El Mago

Yeah thatís why i sort of like Atlanta as a trading partner for Willy. Getting Fried is probably a pipe dream but Anderson has front of rotation potencial .
    The Braves do have Willson's younger brother in the system, so it makes some sense. If the Cubs do trade Willson this offseason, I expect JT Realmuto to be the template of any trade. Similar age, similar control left, similar season at the time of trade (or potential trade).
    Screw sabermetics.

I disagree with the assumption that they are not likely to trade for a starter that can be in the rotation next year. Even if it is a minor leaguer it could be someone ready to step into the rotation . If it comes down to replacing Q with a FA i be fine putting those 9.5 towards Wheeler which is pretty much realistic if Q is buy out. He is better than Q right now has more upside than Q and would be sign for more than just 2020.

Thatís better use of that money to me. Even if they canít sign Wood I am fine with Chatwood as the 5th if it comes down to that. I explained why in my previous reply.

Wheeler is looking at probably getting overpaid by someone with a lack of arms on the market. Either in years or money. He isn't someone I want to bet on long term with injury history. Quintana is a "get out quick" solution. Hell, if you want to grab some upside arms he's perfect. He can pitch in 2020. Then he goes away. And boom...there's a spot.

Give me Q over that. The commitment is perfect. His money isn't enough to solve an issue with a real strong upgrade. You can move him shortly if you'd like.

What's up y'all. Been YEARS since I was posting here regularly. Sometimes got along with you all, sometimes didn't - as I have a very negative approach to a lot of sports topics. A lot here don't like that and pretend everything is a fairy tale.

Taking all of that out - I want to be more active again as I truly enjoy the banter and the conversation. I wanted to come to you all for some initial input.

First big question - WHY IS IT LOOKED AT SO HORRIBLY, FOR US FANS TO HAVE A "OWNER MENTALITY" AND NOT BE ALL ABOARD THE PLAYERS BANDWAGON? Why am I chastised when I defend the owners and don't agree with the players?

After I get some responses, I will open up more about where my mind is on this team and why I bring this question to the forefront. Thanks guys!

Cubs rest of season IGT

Quote Originally Posted by chi-townlove1 View Post
    What's up y'all. Been YEARS since I was posting here regularly. Sometimes got along with you all, sometimes didn't - as I have a very negative approach to a lot of sports topics. A lot here don't like that and pretend everything is a fairy tale.

Taking all of that out - I want to be more active again as I truly enjoy the banter and the conversation. I wanted to come to you all for some initial input.

First big question - WHY IS IT LOOKED AT SO HORRIBLY, FOR US FANS TO HAVE A "OWNER MENTALITY" AND NOT BE ALL ABOARD THE PLAYERS BANDWAGON? Why am I chastised when I defend the owners and don't agree with the players?

After I get some responses, I will open up more about where my mind is on this team and why I bring this question to the forefront. Thanks guys!
    What do you mean by this part? What would you think that you would be chastised about? What do you defend the owners over the players about?

I just need a little more discussion of this part.

2016 World Series Champions!!!

What about everyone's favorite guy last year Haniger as a buy low candidate this year?

I keep forgetting the regular season is even still going.

Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    I keep forgetting the regular season is even still going.
    Lol

3 way division competition and cubs bowed out early. Brewers only 1 game back

Cubs rest of season IGT

Wheeler is looking at probably getting overpaid by someone with a lack of arms on the market. Either in years or money. He isn't someone I want to bet on long term with injury history. Quintana is a "get out quick" solution. Hell, if you want to grab some upside arms he's perfect. He can pitch in 2020. Then he goes away. And boom...there's a spot.

Give me Q over that. The commitment is perfect. His money isn't enough to solve an issue with a real strong upgrade. You can move him shortly if you'd like.

So last night night Wheeler was going for 13-14 per today he is looking to get overpaid . Exactly what is overpaid ? He can look all he wants someone has to be able to give him that .To me if he goes for 4-5 at 18 per itís perfectly fine . He is 29 has posted 4.2 and 4.7 in terms of war the last 2 seasons . He has Quintana in war by 1.2 this year. I am bringing up war because I seen you bring it up to defend Quintana. Wheeler has thrown 195 innings this year. He has some of the best stuff in the league more upside than Quintana.

Sure he has had injuries he is a pitcher there is some sort of risk with any pitcher or any free agent you sign ( injury / age / decline whatever ). Why wouldnít you want the commitment ? This team needs long term starting pitchers moving forward . They have only 2 under contract after 2020 . There isnít much out there on the market for the 2021 class. Wheeler is better than Quintana he makes the 2020 cubs better while securing a needed rotation spot going forward.

If Quintana is a good deal at 10.5 then Wheeler is a good deal at 18. I donít see any upside in Quintana . His money is definitely enough to get a strong upgrade. Wheeler is just one example. Like I said before they could get 2 relievers which these days is becoming mighty important. They could use it towards Castellanos

For the 5th spot they can have Chatwood / a guy they get via trade or even a guy like Jhoulys Chacin . I wouldnít be shock if he has to take a minor league deal and ends up putting a 4.20 xfip with a lower era than that over 150 innings.

Disagree big time . There is better use for that money and there are strong upgrades that the money save could help bring to this team

I donít think itís a slam dunk that Quintana can be traded quickly .

El Mago

So last night night Wheeler was going for 13-14 per today he is looking to get overpaid . Exactly what is overpaid ? He can look all he wants someone has to be able to give him that .To me if he goes for 4-5 at 18 per itís perfectly fine . He is 29 has posted 4.2 and 4.7 in terms of war the last 2 seasons . He has Quintana in war by 1.2 this year. I am bringing up war because I seen you bring it up to defend Quintana. Wheeler has thrown 195 innings this year. He has some of the best stuff in the league more upside than Quintana.

Sure he has had injuries he is a pitcher there is some sort of risk with any pitcher or any free agent you sign ( injury / age / decline whatever ). Why wouldnít you want the commitment ? This team needs long term starting pitchers moving forward . They have only 2 under contract after 2020 . There isnít much out there on the market for the 2021 class. Wheeler is better than Quintana he makes the 2020 cubs better while securing a needed rotation spot going forward.

If Quintana is a good deal at 10.5 then Wheeler is a good deal at 18. I donít see any upside in Quintana . His money is definitely enough to get a strong upgrade. Wheeler is just one example. Like I said before they could get 2 relievers which these days is becoming mighty important. They could use it towards Castellanos

For the 5th spot they can have Chatwood / a guy they get via trade or even a guy like Jhoulys Chacin . I wouldnít be shock if he has to take a minor league deal and ends up putting a 4.20 xfip with a lower era than that over 150 innings.

Disagree big time . There is better use for that money and there are strong upgrades that the money save could help bring to this team

Quintana is a good deal at one year. I don't want Wheeler on a multi year deal. Big difference. That one year commitment on Quintana is key.

We are just going to disagree. Quintana to me is a no brainer. Take the bird in the hand. Don't go bidding for a pitcher like Wheeler. That's a bad investment IMO.

I have no interest on the planet at an $80m deal for Zack Wheeler.

Page 18 of 37 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast