Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 196
  1. #46
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    35,274
    I don't think the Braves were that much better than the Mets. The Braves had more depth, better young talent in certain areas, and made more moves to help their team at the deadline. I get so many pundits are in love with the Brave's farm system as well but I don't know if there was a huge difference between the teams.

    The things that hurt the Mets was it took them a 100 games to get their **** in order. This was a team was 41-51 on July 13th and since then is 44-25. The slow start and the bullpen ****ed them.

    If they are able to hold the lead in half of those games, they are at least a WC team.

  2. #47
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,273
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    I don't think the Braves were that much better than the Mets. The Braves had more depth, better young talent in certain areas, and made more moves to help their team at the deadline. I get so many pundits are in love with the Brave's farm system as well but I don't know if there was a huge difference between the teams.

    The things that hurt the Mets was it took them a 100 games to get their **** in order. This was a team was 41-51 on July 13th and since then is 44-25. The slow start and the bullpen ****ed them.

    If they are able to hold the lead in half of those games, they are at least a WC team.
    You are assuming that the other teams bullpens ahead of them held the lead when the Mets could not. I do not have statistics to verify or not though. I do know that the Nats, Phillies and Cubs had major bullpen issues. As I previously pointed out the As and Nats had more blown saves than the Mets yet they are in the playoffs.

    I disagree about the Braves. For this season when you win 12 more games and lose 12 less games you are that much a better team, case closed.

    Both teams have good young players , although I think that Acuna might be the next super star.,I thought that the Mets had slightly better starting pitching although Max Fried and Mike Soroka were the eqivalent of Syndergaard and DeGrom. Soroka was just a shade under DeGrom and Fried was better than Syndergaard.

    What The Braves had this year and what the Mets lacked were veterans who could carry the team as Freddie Freeman and Josh Donaldson did for the Braves. The initial thought was that Cano could do the same for The Mets but that never happened.

    In my opinion , Freeman is right up there with Bellinger, Yelich, Rendon as MVP in the NL.
    Last edited by Brooklyndave; 09-29-2019 at 06:51 AM.

  3. #48
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    48,681
    DeGrom and Wheeler were significantly better than Fried and Sorka.


    "You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

  4. #49
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    48,681
    The A’s had one of the better bullpens in baseball. The only playoff team worse then the Mets were the Nats, and they were only slightly worse.


    "You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

  5. #50
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    The Boogie Down
    Posts
    100,179
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    I don't think the Braves were that much better than the Mets. The Braves had more depth, better young talent in certain areas, and made more moves to help their team at the deadline. I get so many pundits are in love with the Brave's farm system as well but I don't know if there was a huge difference between the teams.

    The things that hurt the Mets was it took them a 100 games to get their **** in order. This was a team was 41-51 on July 13th and since then is 44-25. The slow start and the bullpen ****ed them.

    If they are able to hold the lead in half of those games, they are at least a WC team.
    That pen dickens big time.

    Some of the injuries to the offense hurt them a bit as well.

  6. #51
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,273
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    The A’s had one of the better bullpens in baseball. The only playoff team worse then the Mets were the Nats, and they were only slightly worse.
    The As had 30 blown saves . Check it out .

  7. #52
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,273
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    DeGrom and Wheeler were significantly better than Fried and Sorka.
    I guess we can agreee to disagree. While DeGrom is a little better than Soroka ( Soroka gave up the fewest HRs for a starting pitcher and his ERA was 2.60) I don't think that Wheeler was better than Fried. Syndergaard, Matz and Stroman were probably somewhat better than Foltynewicz, Teheran and Keuchel
    Last edited by Brooklyndave; 09-29-2019 at 06:02 PM.

  8. #53
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    48,681
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyndave View Post
    The As had 30 blown saves . Check it out .
    Blown Saves don't tell the whole story.

    Bullpen
    A's ERA-3.90/FIP-3.98
    Mets ERA-4.99/ FIP-4.71

    Which bullpen would you rather have?
    Last edited by Claymation; 09-30-2019 at 10:59 AM.


    "You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

  9. #54
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    48,681
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyndave View Post
    I guess we can agreee to disagree. While DeGrom is a little better than Soroka ( Soroka gave up the fewest HRs for a starting pitcher and his ERA was 2.60) I don't think that Wheeler was better than Fried. Syndergaard, Matz and Stroman were probably somewhat better than Foltynewicz, Teheran and Keuchel
    A little better? Come on.

    deGrom's FIP is 2.67

    Sorka's FIP is 3.45

    Wheeler's FIP is 3.48

    Fried's FIP is 3.72

    Fielding Independent Pitching (FIP) measures what a player’s ERA would look like over a given period of time if the pitcher were to have experienced league average results on balls in play.

    Sorka and Wheeler are closer than Sorka and deGrom.


    "You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

  10. #55
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    East of the Sun, West of the Moon
    Posts
    29,868

    Official venting thread: Yes, the season is over

    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    BS don't tell the whole story.

    Bullpen
    A's ERA-3.90/FIP-3.98
    Mets ERA-4.99/ FIP-4.71

    Which bullpen would you rather have?
    Whichever bullpen protects leads best regardless of ERA. Who cares if Gagné inflates bullpen ERA with 4 ER in 1 IP during a 12-2 blowout? BS and losses might not tell the entire story, but it seems like the most impactful part of the story

    Edit: Meant Gagnon not Gagné. Too many dying brain cells.
    Last edited by Dugmet; 09-30-2019 at 08:19 PM.
    “It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, at least fails while daring greatly.” -- Teddy Roosevelt

  11. #56
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,273
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    A little better? Come on.

    deGrom's FIP is 2.67

    Sorka's FIP is 3.45

    Wheeler's FIP is 3.48

    Fried's FIP is 3.72

    Fielding Independent Pitching (FIP) measures what a player’s ERA would look like over a given period of time if the pitcher were to have experienced league average results on balls in play.

    Sorka and Wheeler are closer than Sorka and deGrom.
    That is just a ridulous stat. Probably nobody truly understands it. Most of us base a pitcher on his ERA, Wins, SOs SOs to BBS. So you are saying that Soroka ( not Sorka) and Wheeler are almost the equals as Pitchers . Glad you are not the Mets GM.
    Last edited by Brooklyndave; 09-30-2019 at 07:11 PM.

  12. #57
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    35,274
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyndave View Post
    That is just a ridulous stat. Probably nobody truly understands it. Most of us base a pitcher on his ERA, Wins, SOs SOs to BBS. So you are saying that Soroka ( not Sorka) and Wheeler are almost the equals as Pitchers . Glad you are not the Mets GM.
    Actually very few people base pitcher performance on wins. Wins are a useless stat because they're not indicative of pitcher performance, especially now where few SP go more than 5 innings. FIP is not hard to understand either.

    FIP just uses what a pitcher can control as the basis for evaluation (strikeouts, walks, and home runs).

  13. #58
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    48,681
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    Whichever bullpen protects leads best regardless of ERA. Who cares if Gagné inflates bullpen ERA with 4 ER in 1 IP during a 12-2 blowout? BS and losses might not tell the entire story, but it seems like the most impactful part of the story

    Edit: Meant Gagnon not Gagné. Too many dying brain cells.
    BS are based on opportunity, There can be multiple blown saves in a game and there can be a blown save and loss in the same game.

    Toronto only had 10 BS, not because they are some incredible bullpen but because they didn't many opportunities.
    Actually the top 4 bullpens in fewest BS was Blue Jays, Rangers, Angels and White Sox. Not exactly the four horseman of the apocalypse.

    Toronto had 43 save opportunities all season while Oakland had 75.


    "You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

  14. #59
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    48,681
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyndave View Post
    That is just a ridulous stat. Probably nobody truly understands it. Most of us base a pitcher on his ERA, Wins, SOs SOs to BBS. So you are saying that Soroka ( not Sorka) and Wheeler are almost the equals as Pitchers . Glad you are not the Mets GM.
    Because you don't understand the stat, doesn't mean its ridiculous (not ridulous). A pitcher who has a better defense behind him has a better opportunity to have a lower ERA than one who doesn't. FIP takes that part of the equation out. Now every pitcher has in this stat the same defense.

    https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.as...date=&enddate=


    "You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

  15. #60
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    East of the Sun, West of the Moon
    Posts
    29,868

    Official venting thread: Yes, the season is over

    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    BS are based on opportunity, There can be multiple blown saves in a game and there can be a blown save and loss in the same game.

    Toronto only had 10 BS, not because they are some incredible bullpen but because they didn't many opportunities.
    Actually the top 4 bullpens in fewest BS was Blue Jays, Rangers, Angels and White Sox. Not exactly the four horseman of the apocalypse.

    Toronto had 43 save opportunities all season while Oakland had 75.
    sure. sure.

    good teams — teams w good offenses and good starters — put relief pitchers in more situations for blown saves even in the same game bc they come and back agsin. so maybe we need to talk about Hold% and BS% and losses.

    Maybe you need to look up situational ERA rather than a straight ERA? Where is the single “clutch” stat for BPs?

    Bottom line is how effective is a BP at: 1. preventing runs. 2. preventing runs when it matters most.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Dugmet; 09-30-2019 at 10:44 PM.
    “It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, at least fails while daring greatly.” -- Teddy Roosevelt

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •