Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Three players who showed you something during preseason?

We all know preseason doesn't mean a thing but it doesn't negate the fact, which players are locked in and ready to raise hell. Name three players you think are ready to show the fans something when the regular season begins?

1. Igor Shesterkin: Philly unloaded 40 shots against him. He allowed 3 goals. One was a bad deflection off the foot of Trouba. Two were shots that he just needed to handle cleanly and cut down on rebounds or bounces. The 4th Philly goal, he was screened. Rangers just abandoned playing any defense. That said, Shesterkin demonstrated some "Dominick Hasek-esque" ability especially against New Jersey. Give this kid a couple seasons, he's a monster.

2. Brett Howden: Yes, he fell off in the last half of the season but he's showing that he's ready to anchor the 4th line. Heck, he might even challenge Chytil with the second line...maybe. His deflection against NJ was sick. He's the 2-way guy that the Rangers missed. He finished his checks. Played hard on both ends. The scoring will follow.

3. Panarin: The Bread man wasted no time putting up a goal on the scoreboard. He was taken out d/t groin sprain as a precaution. He looks to come out firing.

The defense is a HUGE question mark. How long will it take for the pairings to develop chemistry?

I agree with Shesterkin, unfortunately it looks like no matter how good he looks he’s destined to be in Hartford because we have Lundqvist. Huska also looked good btw.

I also agree with Howden as well. Andersson has also looked good too. Both seem to be defensively ready to play in the NHL, unfortunately both have yet to show enough offensively to be seen as top 6 guys.

Didn’t really see enough of Panarin, but Haley and McKregg have shown their desperation to make the team.

Would really like to see our starting lineup. I think Quinn should have put our lines out there in each game. i.e. Panarin—Zibenajad—Buchnevich in the 1st game, Kreider—Chytil—Kakko in the 2nd. Lemieux—Andersson—Kravstov in the 3rd game. Just to get them a full game in together. Tho’ it seems more and more likely that Kravstov will be screwed in the numbers game if we don’t make a move soon as we are overloaded at forward with Namestnikov, Strome, Nieves, Howden, Andersson, Fast, Lemieux, ALL at in the bottom 6.

We seem to have too many players to make real decisions based on what's best for the team. I'd like us to be a little tougher, but with guys like Fast, Strome, and Namestnicov (all who I like but just not all of them in the same lineup) blocking guys that might help in that regard, ie Haley, or even Smith playing forward it doesnt seem like that's going to be an option. One of Namestnicov, Fast or strome needed to be dealt imo.

As for who I liked so far, the obvious ones Panarin, Kakko, Zibanajad, Trouba and Kravtsov. Plus I think Chytil has made a step, same as Andersson. Lindgren has played tough, something we could use but I still feel Hajek is a better player. McKegg played well but theres no room for him either.
    Kreider has underwhelmed, skjei the same but I think they will both be alright after the season starts

I like what I’ve seen from Fox so far. He can really move the puck or skate it out of trouble, and I don’t think he’s really been all that bad defensively either, although I admit I haven’t been able to really watch all of preseason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like Namestnikov might be the front runner to the second line position. Keep in mind, seems like the writers change their minds every 24 hrs. I think the rationale is reasonable. He's got more experience than Chytil, Andersson, and Howden. He hasn't had the chance to play with good talent around him. While I didn't believe he would be a good fit on the Rangers, maybe all the problems have to do with the lack of talent around him. We'll see. He has all the motivation, this is his contract year. Also Gorton knows Howden, Namestinkov, Hajek, & Lundkvist were part of the Mcdonagh deal (who came within a couple points of leading the league in plus minus).

Let's just hope for the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Detfink View Post
    Looks like Namestnikov might be the front runner to the second line position. Keep in mind, seems like the writers change their minds every 24 hrs. I think the rationale is reasonable. He's got more experience than Chytil, Andersson, and Howden. He hasn't had the chance to play with good talent around him. While I didn't believe he would be a good fit on the Rangers, maybe all the problems have to do with the lack of talent around him. We'll see. He has all the motivation, this is his contract year. Also Gorton knows Howden, Namestinkov, Hajek, & Lundkvist were part of the Mcdonagh deal (who came within a couple points of leading the league in plus minus).

Let's just hope for the best.
    I don’t mind putting him around talent and maximizing his trade value.