Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Meh
    Marlins signed RHP Josh Smith to a minor league contract with an invitation to spring training.
    Smith elected free agency after he was outrighted by the Red Sox to Triple-A Pawtucket. He appeared in 18 games for Boston last year with a 5.81 ERA and 29/8 K/BB ratio over his 31 innings. He'll get a shot to win a job in the Marlins' bullpen this spring.
    roto

@PPM: probably had Smoak in the right ballpark (figuratively). I probably still have a slight preference for Shaw given that he's a bit more versatile in the field.

ESPN's Jeff Passan confirms that the Brewers have signed Justin Smoak to a one-year, $5 million contract.
    Jon Heyman of MLB Network was first to indicate that the two sides were close to an agreement. Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic adds that the deal will carry a club option for 2021, which is worth $5.5 million with a $1 million buyout. Smoak did no favors for himself in his final season in Toronto in 2019, slashing just .208/.342/.406 across 500 plate appearances, but the veteran first baseman was the victim of some bad luck (.223 BABIP) and should be a strong bounceback candidate in power-friendly Milwaukee, even at age 33.
    roto

Betts and Price to LAD for Seager, Pederson, Smith, Sheffield is what I want. Thatís what I have decided.

Sign Shaw to play 1st.

Trade Bradley to Texas for the package I had stated previously.

Sign Pillar or a corner OF with some power. If your confident in Pedersons glove in CF.

Find some bullpen Arms. Iíd love to get Betances. That would be so fitting. But I think he will cost too much. Although we could afford it with moving, Betts, Bradley, Price.

And take a flier on Harvey, king Felix, rich hill.
    Last edited by Soxtober040713; 12-19-2019 at 12:55 PM.

Potential suitors for Price seem to be moving away.
    ESPN's Jeff Passan reports that the Angels have signed free agent starter Julio Teheran to a one-year contract.
    The deal will come with a $9 million guaranteed salary for 2020, per Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic. Teheran became a free agent in early November when the Braves declined their $12 million club option on him. The 28-year-old right-hander posted a 3.81 ERA, 1.32 WHIP, and 162/83 K/BB ratio in 174 2/3 innings (33 starts) with Atlanta during the 2019 regular season. He could have a spot in the Halos' rotation in 2020 behind Andrew Heaney, Shohei Ohtani, Griffin Canning, and fellow offseason addition Dylan Bundy, though Anaheim has also been tied to free agents Dallas Keuchel and Hyun-Jin Ryu.

Jon Heyman of MLB Network reports that the White Sox have agreed to a deal with free agent left-hander Gio Gonzalez.
    Robert Murray, formerly of The Athletic, was first to indicate that an agreement was in the works between Gonzalez and the White Sox. The veteran left-hander posted a decent 3.50 ERA, 1.294 WHIP, and 78/37 K/BB ratio across 87 1/3 regular-season innings (17 starts, two relief appearances) this past season for the Brewers. He could either be a rotation option or a bullpen option for Chicago in 2020.

According to Robert Murray, formerly of The Athletic, the Dodgers and Padres are among the teams showing interest in Indians starter Mike Clevinger.
    Murray adds, however, that the asking price right now is "sky high." Clevinger was limited to 21 starts in 2019 due to back and ankle injuries, but he registered an excellent 2.71 ERA with 169 strikeouts in 126 innings when healthy, and he also had a 3.05 ERA with 344 strikeouts in 321 2/3 innings between 2017-2018. The 28-year-old right-hander is currently under the Indians' control through the 2022 campaign.
    via roto
    Last edited by RedSoxtober; 12-19-2019 at 04:23 PM.

Hm... is Bloom filling the roster while shooting pics for 'People of Walmart'? Obviously just organizational depth but that is, in some sense, a positive. These are the kinds of moves that DD often ignored to the Sox' detriment.

Red Sox claimed RHP Chris Mazza off waivers from the Mets.
    Mazza was designated for assignment last week. The right-hander posted a 3.61 ERA while pitching mainly as a starter at Triple-A Buffalo last season and a 5.51 ERA across nine relief appearances for the Mets.

Red Sox re-signed RHP Robin Leyer to a minor league contract with an invitation to spring training.
    Leyer split last season in the minors between the Mariners and Red Sox organizations. He'll compete for a bullpen job in spring training.

Red Sox signed RHP R.J. Alvarez to a minor league contract with an invitation to spring training.
    Alvarez, 28, held a 4.70 ERA over 50 appearances at Triple-A in the Marlins organization in 2019. He hasn't pitched in the majors since 2015.

Red Sox signed LHP Mike Kickham to a minor league contract with an invitation to spring training.
    Kingham hasn't appeared in the majors since 2014. The 31-year-old posted a 4.27 ERA at Triple-A for the Marlins in 2019.

Red Sox re-signed INF Jantzen Witte to a minor league contract with an invitation to spring training.
    Witte, 29, batted .271/.333/.390 with nine dingers between Double- and Triple-A last season. He's organizational filler.

Red Sox signed 1B/OF Nick Longhi to a minor league contract with an invitation to spring training.
    Longhi, 24, is a former Red Sox prospect who spent 2019 at Triple-A in the Reds organization, hitting .283/.336/.463 with 12 homers. He's merely organizational depth.

Red Sox signed OF John Andreoli to a minor league contract with an invitation to spring training.
    Andreoli hit .255/.389/.449 with 16 homers and 12 steals at the Triple-A level in 2019. The 29-year-old will provide outfield depth for the Red Sox.

Red Sox signed C Jett Bandy to a minor league contract with an invitation to spring training.
    Bandy spent all of 2019 at the Triple-A level in the Rangers organization. He's hit only .218/.282/.365 over parts of four seasons in the majors.
    roto

Of interest because potential Lindor suitors are also rumored to have interest in Betts and/or Price so we may see movement before the end of the year.
    Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic writes that the Indians are telling clubs interested in trading for Francisco Lindor that "they want each teamís best and final offers so they can make an assessment over the weekend."

"I do think (the Indians) are trying to bring things to a rapid conclusion," an executive involved in the talks told Rosenthal. The executive goes on to note how odd it is that the Tribe would place an "artificial deadline" on negotiations for the star shortstop, especially with it only being December. There is known to be serious interest from the Dodgers, Reds, and Padres, and it would appear that Cleveland might actually part ways with Lindor this winter -- maybe even before the beginning of the new year.
    roto

Can someone help me out on the luxury tax thing? I know that the Red Sox exceeded the threshold in 2018 (20% tax above $197 million) and in 2019 (30% above $206 million).

If they exceed $208 million in 2020, the tax rate is 50% (I understand the payroll looks to be between $225 and $230 million, so they are facing, what, $10 million tax?)

That part I get.

But at what point is the payroll determined? Is there a fixed date or is it some kind of aggregate, compiled over the course of the year as players come and go?

Specifically, when do they want that extra $20 million shed from the payroll?

If you were hoping Travis Shaw would return to Boston, your hopes are gone, He signed with the division rival Blue Jays: one year $4 million. Not too bad for a guy who hit .157 last season ó he did have a miserable .216 BABIP ó and who spent a month in the minors, and a steal if he returns to 2017/2018 form.

The Sox really need to buckle down and sign Holt.
    Last edited by Crovash; 12-23-2019 at 07:45 AM.

That Shaw deal is really nice for the Blue Jays. Prior to last year he put up 3.9 and 4.1 rWAR in the two years before last. Heís an easy call for a bounce back year after being miserable last year.

The Jays are putting together a nice team.

According to Peter Gammons, the Redsox are expecting top prospects back for Price...which probably isn't going to happen.
    If they want to shed a big contract, and get prospects back, it'll probably have to be Chris Sale, otherwise I don't see them moving anyone this off season.

Quote Originally Posted by ciaban2.0 View Post
    According to Peter Gammons, the Redsox are expecting top prospects back for Price...which probably isn't going to happen.
    If they want to shed a big contract, and get prospects back, it'll probably have to be Chris Sale, otherwise I don't see them moving anyone this off season.
    He did not say top. He said prospects.

Quote Originally Posted by Crovash View Post
    Can someone help me out on the luxury tax thing? I know that the Red Sox exceeded the threshold in 2018 (20% tax above $197 million) and in 2019 (30% above $206 million).

If they exceed $208 million in 2020, the tax rate is 50% (I understand the payroll looks to be between $225 and $230 million, so they are facing, what, $10 million tax?)

That part I get.

But at what point is the payroll determined? Is there a fixed date or is it some kind of aggregate, compiled over the course of the year as players come and go?

Specifically, when do they want that extra $20 million shed from the payroll?
    It's the accumulated payroll over the course of the year. I forget the exact dates that matter but the salary is prorated against certain dates that represent "the season" -- for argument's sake let's say it's April 1 through Oct 31. If the Sox trade Price at the trade deadline then they owe him just over half his salary (4 months out of 7) and the new club owes him the remainder (3/7).

Sam Travis just got DFA's to make room for C Kevin Plawecki https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/...am-travis.html

Too bad for Travis but he seems like a AAAA guy, mostly org filler. He'd be beaten out by Cassas soon enough.

According to MLB.com's Jon Morosi, the Dodgers are at least as involved in Mookie Betts talks with Boston as they are with Francisco Lindor talks with the Indians at the moment.
    Morosi says that's because the Indians are holding out for Gavin Lux in a Lindor deal, while the Red Sox have other priorities, most notably shedding David Price's salary. A Betts-Price trade with the Dodgers would probably net the Red Sox a couple of quality youngsters, but it wouldn't involve Lux. At this point, there's no good reason for the Red Sox to package Betts and Price, other than to line the pockets of John Henry and company. Maybe they could have used the saving on free agents earlier this winter, but the pickings are rather slim now.
    I don't really agree with the 'line the pockets' comment. Like the earlier payroll reset with the Dodgers, a Betts+Price deal this offseason would be about long-term sustainability. I don't necessarily want to send them both but I do want a team that can compete for the future and if sacrificing Betts -- who remains reluctant to commit to any long term deal that's not top dollar -- is the price to pay for moving Price then okay.

If you think that I'm insane for trading Betts then look at it this way: you're resetting the payroll tax so that you can re-sign him long term. If you're honestly that committed to the idea, then cashing in on a contract year of Betts is really the best possible way to re-sign him for the megadeal he will command next offseason.

The Dodgersí offseason splash may still be coming.

The team remains in trade talks with the Indians for Francisco Lindor and the Red Sox for Mookie Betts. According to MLB.com, Betts is currently seen as the more likely option for Los Angeles because Boston is not currently insisting on getting back stud middle infield prospect Gavin Lux. The Indians see Lux as the centerpiece of any deal with the Dodgers that includes Lindor.

The report states that the Red Sox could see this as an opportunity to unload the three years and $96 million left owed to veteran starter David Price by packaging him with Betts. Boston would then likely ask for a young starting pitcher such as Dustin May or Tony Gonsolin in return.
    NY Post

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast