Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Thoughts about Mookie Betts & Chris Sale to White Sox for OF L.Robert, RHP's Kopech & Dunning, C Zack Collins

Quote Originally Posted by JOSKOMANG4 View Post
    Thoughts about Mookie Betts & Chris Sale to White Sox for OF L.Robert, RHP's Kopech & Dunning, C Zack Collins
    Personally, I'd do that without too much hesitation and then go back into the FA pitching market. I'm not all that confident in Sale's future... at least confident that his $145M/5yr deal won't include at least one season rehabbing his elbow. Though I'd probably prefer to drop one of the prospects (Dunning or Collins) in order to swap Price for Sale, too.

That said, I don't see it happening. That one trade would put the White Sox 2020 payroll at least $10M higher than they've every had and I'm not sure it guarantees that they can beat out what the Yankees/Astros will have by opening day.

Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports that the Rays and Padres have agreed to a trade which will send Tommy Pham to San Diego.
    Jeff Passan of ESPN first reported that the two sides were close to a deal. Hunter Renfroe and prospect shortstop Xavier Edwards are confirmed to head to Tampa Bay while Dennis Lin of The Athletic reports that prospect infielder/pitcher Jake Cronenworth is also headed to San Diego. Juan Toribo of MLB.com reports that another prospect could be part of the deal for the Rays. Pham is the second part of an outfield overhaul for the Padres, as they recently acquired Trent Grisham from the Brewers in the Luis Urias deal.
    roto

Bummer. Edwards is one of the guys I hoped the Sox could get from SDP in a trade for one of our pricier OF.

Boston getting calls on Price
    The Red Sox are looking to get under the luxury tax line this offseason, but the decision of J.D. Martinez not to use his opt-out means they'll have to do that by moving salary. Trade speculation has swirled about star outfielder Mookie Betts, but parting with Betts while there's such a strong core in place would be deeply unwise. Instead, perhaps the Sox will look to deal veteran lefty David Price.
    CBS Sports Source:

Kinda Sox news given that they were connected with Porcello. A $10M price tag seems unlikely for where they are right now TBH. It's probably a bigger concern that these backend guys are disappearing, though. They'll need that kind of pitcher to round out the rotation, especially if they deal Price (which seems increasingly likely).
    Jon Heyman of MLB Network says the contract comes with a $10 million guarantee. The Mets just signed Michael Wacha to a one-year, $3 million pact on Wednesday night and have now acquired another down-on-his-luck free agent starter as they attempt to build out their rotation depth for 2020.

Red Sox picked up 2B Jonathan Arauz in the Rule V draft from Houston. Doesn't hit much but pretty steady in the field it appears. Less than 30 games played above A-ball in 5yrs but he started at age 16. Chances that he makes the MLB roster (as required) seem very slim. #pedroiainsurance

JonHeyman

Red Sox agree to deal with free agent infielder Jose Peraza. Close to 3M and incentives.
    @ByRobertMurray
    1st with agreement

I mean... I guess this replaces Porcello's production.
    Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic reports that the Red Sox have reached a one-year, $6 million agreement with free agent starter Martin Perez.
    The deal, which is pending a physical, will also come with a $6.25 million club option for 2021. Perez posted an ugly 5.12 ERA over 165 1/3 innings with the Twins in 2019, after struggling to a 6.22 ERA in 85 1/3 innings with the Rangers in 2018. The 28-year-old left-hander should have a spot in Boston's starting rotation to open the 2020 campaign, but he seems doubtful to hold any fantasy relevance in standard formats.
    The Cardinals are the only team on the list that hasn't been mentioned as a potential trade partner prior to the Winter Meetings. The original article on MLB.com also brings up the specific Price/Myers swap. It's a bit inaccurate in some of it's details though. Specifically, it's technically correct that the trade would net the Red Sox around $10M in payroll savings, the objective is getting under the luxury tax (CBT) which uses AAV. In that respect, Price/Myers saves the Red Sox closer to $17M.

At the moment Cot's Baseball Contracts shows the Red Sox with a payroll of just over $226M, or $18M over the CBT threshold. That number includes the Perez signing, excludes the OF signing that BSF posted, and includes arbitration numbers and minimum contract values for the entire 40-man roster. The Price/Myers swap, if no additional money changed hands, would only require a minor move to get the Sox under the threshold for Opening Day. A larger move would be required if the Sox hoped to have some wiggle-room for a midseason acquisition. Or Pedroia could retire. ray:
    According to MLB.com's Mark Feinsand, the Padres, Cardinals, White Sox, Reds, and Angels are "in play" for a David Price trade.
    Price is owed a total of $96 million over the next three seasons and struggled to a 4.28 ERA and 1.31 WHIP in 107 1/3 innings (22 starts) with the Red Sox in 2019, but if Boston is willing to eat a bunch of money, it's possible the 34-year-old left-hander could be moved at some point this winter. St. Louis reportedly finished second for Price when he signed his big seven-year, $217 million free agent deal with the Sox back in December 2015.
    Both via roto
    Last edited by RedSoxtober; 12-13-2019 at 02:30 PM.

I like what Iíve seen so far this offseason. Seems like no Price Trade is gonna happen until Ryu, Keuchel are signed. Which is ok as long as neither of them go to LAA. Which I see Ryu going back to LAD and Keuchel going to SD. Also seems with the addition of Kluber that would take the Rangers out of the Eovaldi race. Meaning we are probably stuck with him. But the rangers are in the search for a Defensive CF hello Jackie Bradley Jr.

2 trades I hope we see are.

David Price to LAA for Jared Walsh 1B/RP, Max Stassi C & Luis Madero P or Jeremy Beasley P

Jackie Bradley Jr to TEX for David Garcia C, Nick Solak 2B , Scott Heineman OF

Now Iím not scouting or prospect expert so this could be a lot to
    Give up by the rangers and angels for price and Bradley jr. I just looked at their top 30 specs and 40 man to find guys that could fit.

Now with price and Bradley gone. And the addition of Peraza and Perez we are looking at

Chris Sale
    Nathan Eovaldi
    Eduardo Rodriguez
    Martin Perez

Iíd like to see the sox take a 1yr Flyer in Felix Hernandez, Matt Harvey, Rich Hill. Find a Closer

Sign Travis Shaw, Sign Kevin Pillar, Bring Back Holt (if the price is right)

C: Vazquez
    1B: Shaw
    2B: Pedroia
    3B: Devers
    SS: Bogaerts
    LF: Benintendi
    CF: Pillar
    RF: Betts
    DH: Martinez

Stassi
    Peraza
    Holt
    Chavis

Honestly, the trades look pretty fair to me. I think that the return on Price might be a bit light in the current market but might not be far off if the goal is a straight salary dump. I'd probably consider paying a bit of his contract or taking only two prospects in order to get a higher ceiling there.

Dodgers and Red Sox are having exploratory trade talks on Mookie. Apparently the Dodgers are focused on Lindor and if they canít land him will pivot to BOS for Betts. Article I read stated that the Dodgers have put Seager on the table as they donít want to part with Gavin Lux, who they see as their shortstop of the future. Article also stated that Bloom likes their catcher Will Smith as well as one of Verdugo/Pederson.

This is exactly the type of trade return I would be more than fine trading Mookie for. Seager could shift over to 2B, Smith would make an amazing backstop tandem with Vazquez and we could just plug Verdugo or Pederson in the OF to replace Mookie. Maybe we find a way to expand the trade and include Price as well, use the Dodgers to reset our tax for the second time this decade. Long live the Punto trade.

I'd be thrilled with that kind of return for Betts, but the USA Today article that I read suggests that you might be conflating a few different things. Seager has been offered to both BOS and CLE (Lindor) but from there Nightingale goes on to say "Potential trade partners also covet Dodgers catcher Will Smith" and "the [Dodgers] could turn around and flip other outfielders like Alex Verdugo or Joc Pederson." As I read it, he seems to be suggesting that Seager is offered but Smith/Lux are what teams are asking about. Pederson/Verdugo seem to be a domino that would fall after acquiring Betts. IDK, I hope your version is right.

I'd love to see the Sox send Price+Betts to LAD if they could land the package you're talking about: Seager (for 2B), Smith (C), and Verdugo/Pederson. Maybe we'd eat some contract to make that happen. With the second tier of pitchers going for $18-22M this year, include $10M/yr for the duration of Price's contract and still net a $50M savings in year 1. I'm increasingly okay with "life after Mookie" because there isn't a player on the planet worth $35M/yr in a day when the luxury tax is $208M.

I too am becoming more and more realistic about a Mookie trade 350-400 million over 10 years to a guy for his age 28-38 seasons. He isnít Trout. And even with Trout ( not bringing into account what contracts or tax level might be in say 7 years)the last 3-4 years of that deal could hurt. Look at Stanton. He declined quick.

I am not as sold on Stanton being a good comparison. Even taking into account the significant time he lost after getting hit in the face with a pitch, he had a somewhat prominent injury history before he signed his mega-deal. At the time of the signing it was already a concern. It's a fair point to suggest that aging players might be away from the field more than younger players, but that's not quite the same as being in decline.

Aside from the time away from the field, Stanton has still managed to put up OPS+ 130 or better in every year he's played but one. In very limited action this year, he was at 138. Most people would be happy with that kind of production. In an age when the top players are earning in excess of $30M, $25M/yr for that kind of production isn't outlandish. I wouldn't cite him for decline just yet.

If I were to pick a player to compare Mookie to in terms of FA risk, it'd more likely be Carl Crawford. Mookie is far superior to Crawford in every way. The main points of comparison would be outstanding peak offensive seasons (especially at Fenway) prior to FA and a lot of WAR value derived from playing OF. Obviously Crawford declined pretty quickly.

Another comparison, however, could be Tim Raines. Raines and Betts have similar body types (5'8"/160lb vs 5'9" 180lb), speed, and bat-to-ball skills. Raines played 13 seasons after his age-28 year though his time in the OF declined rapidly in his mid-30s. Though he continued to have some above average to very good seasons at the plate, he never led the league in an offensive category after age 28. A valuable player but not worth committing 17% of your payroll to.

That's all polishing brass on the Titanic, though. We agree on the main point: 7-10 year deals for players in their late 20s rarely pay off. I think that we also agree that committing such a large portion of your payroll to a single player is a mistake. As noted earlier, the 2019 Nationals are the first WS champion with 20% or more of their payroll committed to a single player (Scherzer was barely over 20%). It's simply the wrong way to build a roster.

One scenario that I've been thinking about: let Mookie walk after his FA year. From a PR perspective, it makes a lot more sense. They can attempt to sign him all year long and then let Mookie take the blame for walking away... before coming up just shy on the FA market for him (Note: Brett Gardner only has a team option for 2021).

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast