Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    At what point do they have to be under to reset theyíre fines. Iím think if pedy does come back and gets hurt again or doesnít feel like he can play 100% by the beginning of the season he will retire but will it be too late by that point? Even if he is ready and gets hurt in say June I think he calls it

The fines are based on the average annual value (AAV) of the contract while the club was responsible for his contract. Oddly specific, I know. As a practical example, Pablo Sandoval. His guaranteed contract was 3x17.6M + 2x18.6M for $90M plus a $5M buyout of his option year. For MLB that's $95M spread over 5yrs or $19M/yr. When the Red Sox released him and he went to SFG, the Giants paid the MLB vet minimum for him ($545k/555k) and the Sox paid the rest of his guaranteed money. Ouch.

On point, if Pedroia were to retire from baseball in June, then the Sox would be on the hook for roughly half of his $13.75M AAV for this season. Call it $6.9M for this year. I believe that the rest of the money would be canceled from a luxury tax perspective.

Red Sox signed RHP Chih-Jung Liu for a $750,000 signing bonus.

Liu has been rumored to sign with the Red Sox for a while, but it's not official. He was a two-way star for Culture University in Taiwan, but he's expected to just pitch for Boston. The 20-year-old can get his fastball up to 97 mph, and he also shows an above-average slider and useable split-change. He could be a member of the Boston rotation in the early part of the next decade.
    I guess it's nice to be able to get back into the international signing arena. Don't know much about him.

Some video of him pitching on YouTube here. His actual pitching starts about 35 seconds in. Seems to nibble around the edges as is characteristic of the league. It'll be interesting to see how he makes the transition.
    Last edited by RedSoxtober; 11-19-2019 at 04:55 PM.

Braves signed LHP Will Smith to a three-year, $39 million contract with a team option for 2023.

Jeff Passan of ESPN reports that the fourth-year option comes with a $1 million buyout. Bob Nightengale notes that he'll get $13 million in each of the three seasons, with the fourth year also being for $13 million if Atlanta picks up the option. The Giants offered Smith the qualifying offer, so Atlanta will give up its second-round selection plus $500,000 in international funds to sign the 30-year-old stopper; although they can get a pick back if Josh Donaldson signs elsewhere. He posted a 2.76 ERA, 1.026 WHIP and 96/21 K/BB ratio over 65 1/3 innings with 34 saves. Dave O'Brien reports that the Braves still plan on having Mark Melancon operate as the closer, but it wouldn't be a surprise if he ended up earning the job at some point. It's something to keep in mind when considering Smith in redraft leagues, however.
    roto

I realize that this is kinda old news but this is literally the contract that I wanted the Red Sox to sign. Exact player. Exact terms.

Okay what are the chances if we do decide to deal Mookie we can send him to the Cubs or the Mets.

My thoughts are If we are dealing Mookie based on $ maybe we can at least get some MLB ready talent in return.

Cubs:

Jose Quintana 1yr/10.5 mil. Would be a decent replacement for Eovaldi which would save us around 6.5 million. Or would be a competent 5th starter if we keep Eovaldi. Also is someone we could flip at the deadline if the ship is sinking.

Kyle Schwarber 1yr/ 8mil. Final yr of ARB. 2021. If we could teach him to play first it would be perfect. His power plays at Fenway. And could eventually move to full time DH if he plays well for a yr or 2.

Kris Bryant 1yr/ 18.5mil. Final yr of ARB. 2021. This is the question mark not sure the Cubs would want to deal him in a Mookie trade. Although it makes the most sense for both sides. Saves you 10 million on Mookie, And you get Quintana in the deal. Saves you another 6.5 on Eovaldi. For a total of 16.5. Trade Bradley and your under the tax. And you have replaced Mookie with Bryant, Eovaldi with Quintana and find a 1yr defensive option to replace Jackie.

Mets:

Noah Syndergaard 1yr/ 9.9mil final yr of ARB. 2021. Saves you a boat load of $ and gives you a great 1-2 combo in Sale-Syndergaard. And also insurance if Sale gets injured

Edwin Diaz. 1yr/ 7mil. 2 more years of ARB. His arb years run through the length of our current high price deals. If it hasnít worked by than. Thatís when you blow it up. But getting a solid closer at less than 18-20 mil per year certainly helps.

The Red Sox will have a new backup catcher in 2020.

The team announced Monday that it had traded Sandy Leon to the Indians for minor-league pitcher Adenys Bautista. It puts the Sox' 40-man roster at 37 players.

Leon was a prime candidate to be non-tendered, with the deadline teams to offer contracts to arbitration-eligible players coming Monday night at 8. According to MLB Trade Rumors, Leon is expected to receive $2.8 million in arbitration.

The 21-year-old Bautista hasn't pitched above Rookie League, totaling a 5.98 ERA in 27 pro appearances.
    weei

Quote Originally Posted by Soxtober040713 View Post
    Okay what are the chances if we do decide to deal Mookie we can send him to the Cubs or the Mets.

My thoughts are If we are dealing Mookie based on $ maybe we can at least get some MLB ready talent in return.
    Mets, yes. Cubs, no. The others to add into the mix (IMO) are CWS, and maybe LAA or SDP.

The folks that you're talking about are pretty unlikely. The team that acquires Betts is going to need to shell out around $28M in contract cost. Teams don't do that AND send prospects very often... unless the player in question is a key piece that puts them over the top (at least into the playoffs). Mets and White Sox both fit that profile. However, the Mets have made it known that they're not listening on Syndergaard and the MLB roster for CWS couldn't take many significant hits before they offset the gains from adding Betts. I think that you need to focus on a couple of well-regarded prospects rather than guys with any notable MLB service time.

Red Sox non-tendered 2B Marco Hernandez, and RP Josh Osich (waiver pickup). I'm a little surprised about Hernandez given the uncertainty at 2B.

Some non-tender options that might be worth a flyer:
    Ryan Butcher (RP)
    CJ Cron (1B)
    Elias Diaz (C)
    Kevin Gausman (SP)
    Junior Guerra (RP)
    Cesar Hernandez (2B)
    John Ryan Murphy (C)
    Jose Peraza (2B)
    Josh Phegley (C)
    Kevin Pillar (OF)
    Addison Russell (SS)
    Aaron Sanchez (SP)
    Travis Shaw (IF)
    Tijuan Walker (SP)

The Athletic's Ken Rosenthal hears the Brewers are making reliever Josh Hader available in trade talks this winter.

"We listen on a wide variety of players throughout the offseason. A lot of players get discussed," Brewers general manager David Stearns told Rosenthal generically when asked about Hader's availability. Hader is projected to earn $4.6 million in arbitration this winter, according to MLBTradeRumors.com, and will only get more expensive as his arb years roll on, making his trade value higher now than it might ever be again. It seems counterintuitive for the Brewers, a team that appears set to contend for the postseason again in 2020, to be dealing key pieces regardless of their trade value, but Rosenthal notes that Hader's workload in his first three seasons in the majors -- he's appeared in 151 games since 2017 -- could be part of Milwaukee's consideration in moving him now. The writer lists the Mets among the teams that could have interest in the 25-year-old southpaw, who has won the Trevor Hoffman Award for best reliever in the NL the past two seasons. We'll see.
    roto

So... what about sending Betts to MIL? There's no way they'd re-sign him but the team that almost made it back to the NLDS could use him to replace part of what they lost in Grandal and Moustakas. Even with Betts they'd have money to go back to the FA market for offensive production. They have only three contracts beyond 2020.

I was initially bummed out for Johnson when he was DFA but later read that it was a move deliberately calculated for him to return to the minors. They timed the action when most teams had their 40-man at or near capacity and were haggling over which non-tender candidates might stay. I'm glad for him. I don't expect much from him but just like him and hope he gets a break.

Red Sox designated LHP Brian Johnson for assignment.

If Johnson isn't claimed, the Red Sox will non-tender the soon-to-be 29-year-old. The left-hander struggled with injuries in 2019 and wasn't effective when he was healthy with a 6.02 ERA in 40 1/3 innings. Some team could give Johnson a chance to be a member of their bullpen -- or possibly rotation -- but there's just as much risk as there is reward.
    Red Sox sent LHP Brian Johnson outright to Triple-A Pawtucket.

Johnson was designated for assignment by Boston this past Monday and passed through waivers unclaimed. The 28-year-old left-hander registered a hideous 6.02 ERA, 1.88 WHIP, and 31/23 K/BB ratio over 40 1/3 innings (seven starts, 14 relief appearances) for the Red Sox during the 2019 season.
    roto

Quote Originally Posted by papipapsmanny View Post
    I have Chavis play LF. I sign Justin Smoak on a buy low candidate to play 1B.
    Now that Travis Shaw has been non-tendered, I'd like to target him as a buy-low candidate. Historically he's an above average corner defender and has shown the ability to play 2B (not great). At worst, we could have a couple years of a Holt-type player at a fraction of the cost since he has another arb year after 2020. At best, he could win/hold the 1B spot for a couple of seasons as Casas matures and produce 25HR again. A mid-point with him platooning with Sam Travis might work, too.

Multiple executives this week said they believe a potential trade involving 2018 American League MVP Mookie Betts is unlikely to happen. The Boston Red Sox, who are looking to cut payroll, instead are trying to move salary in the form of a pitcher -- either David Price or Nathan Eovaldi. Which is all well and good, except that to do so, the Red Sox will need to include someone of value.

Because new chief baseball officer Chaim Bloom inherited one of the game's worst farm systems, attaching prospects as a sweetener is tricky. Because the Red Sox want to remain competitive, attaching major league players -- outfielder Andrew Benintendi has been a popular ask this offseason -- is likewise difficult.

It's what makes Boston's position so precarious. All of it stems from the desire to sneak under the $208 million luxury-tax threshold. Why the Red Sox, who are worth more than $3 billion and have won four championships in the past 16 years, need to practice austerity is a reasonable question. Particularly if it brings them back to dealing Betts.

He is the sort of player the Red Sox would seemingly dream of locking up to a long-term deal: homegrown, supremely skilled, beloved. Problem is, Betts wants to test free agency after this season, and if the Red Sox don't re-sign him, the best they get is a compensatory pick around 80th overall. (Or, if they've exceeded the luxury-tax threshold, closer to the 135th-pick range.)

If the Red Sox were to deal Betts now, not only would they dip below the threshold -- Betts could earn upward of $30 million in arbitration this year -- but the return in prospects would far exceed that of a post-2020 draft pick.

Still, as much sense as that makes in the vacuum in which the Red Sox need to get under the threshold -- they don't need to get under the threshold, whispered the narrator -- Betts is going to serve as a reasonable litmus test for the Red Sox under Bloom. If he is working in a world in which the unspoken-but-kinda-spoken mandate is to sneak under the threshold, he must operate there. If Bloom is operating there and believes it is the clearest and most intelligent way to maneuver the Red Sox back to World Series contention, then he will trade Betts. Simple as that. Feelings cannot get in the way. The Red Sox hired Bloom from Tampa Bay to bring a little of the Rays' calculation to an organization that has been guilty of lapsing into operating on emotion.
    ESPN

How financially responsible is it to commit 300+ million over 10-12 years for Betts anyway. We will shed payroll be garbage for 2-3 years while the Yankees run a muck. Than compete for 2-3 years and have a 33year Old Mookie with anywhere from 4-6 yrs left on his deal making north of 40 mill per season. His power and play style wonít age well. If anything I say use Mookie AND JBJ to get off of Price and Eovaldi. Sign Shaw and Pillar. Use the rest of the time JD and Sale are signed to rebuild the farm all while making smart FA signings 1-2 yr guys who can keep you around 80-90 wins. Than in 2023. Have a great farm. Hopefully another Mookie type player on the roster and compete for championships than. We are entering what could be a dark day in Boston Baseball. Especially if NY gets Cole and or Strasberg.

I agree with the general sentiment. I love Mookie but he's turned down every advance so far, including this past ST. Even after watching Harper and Machado sweat out the market, he still wants his shot. "It's just business," is his line. Simply put, Mookie is going to whomever offers the most money and that money is probably in the mid-to-upper $30Ms. That's irresponsible for any team and history has shown that it's a bad bet (the Nats just became the first team with a single player earning 20% of payroll to win a WS). A decade of Mookie is not worth being on the outside looking in. If it's "just business" for the Sox, then it should be for the Red Sox as well.

His power and play style wonít age well
    Curious what exactly you think won't age well. His power comes primarily from incredibly quick hands instead of brute strength of some sluggers and he doesn't seem to be especially reckless (e.g., Pedroia). Going into his age-28 season, I see Mookie being a very good player for the majority of his contract. I can't/won't bad mouth him; it's just the overall value that makes no sense. The players and anyone else who thinks $30M+ for a single player of a 25-player roster is reasonable is just wrong.

If anything I say use Mookie AND JBJ to get off of Price and Eovaldi.
    I don't know why people don't get this, but you don't make an expensive player more desirable by packaging him with another expensive player. Price or Eovaldi isn't a trade target when you offer JBJ ($11M projected) as well. It's an attractive salary dump if you offer Benintendi ($4.9M) or Devers ($600K) because the "extra" value of those deals absorbs some of the overpayment. (BTW, no way I'm suggesting we offer Devers; he just makes the case more obvious).

Just as importantly... name names. It's easy to say who you might dump. It's harder to suggest a good trade that makes sense for both sides. Would you trade Price+Benintendi to San Diego for Margot+Ryan Weathers (RHP prospect)+CJ Abrams (2B/SS prospect). That move alone clears around $34M. It might need to be more like Wil Myers and the prospects (swap meh contracts) for a $24M savings. In either case there's an OF to replace Benintendi (CF in Margot makes JBJ expendable for the rest of the savings hoped for).

Forgot these earlier. Non-tendered but not forgotten.

Red Sox re-signed LHP Josh Osich to a one-year, $850,000 contract.

Osich was non-tendered by the Red Sox on Monday evening, but the two parties were able to work out a new split deal that will pay him $850,000 if he's in the majors and a lower salary if he is in the minors. The 31-year-old left-hander, who was claimed off waivers from the White Sox in late October, registered a 4.66 ERA, 1.138 WHIP, and 61/15 K/BB ratio over 67 2/3 innings out of Chicago's bullpen in 2019.

Red Sox re-signed INF Marco Hernandez to a one-year, $650,000 contract.

It's a split contract, per Chris Cotillo of MassLive.com, and Hernandez will have a spot on the 40-man roster. The 27-year-old utilityman was non-tendered by Boston on Monday after struggling to the tune of a .250/.279/.338 batting line with two home runs and one stolen base over 61 games (155 plate appearances) in 2019. He will compete for a spot on the Red Sox bench in the spring.
    roto

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast