Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

2019-2020 Offseason Talk

Well disappointed the Redsox not going into the playoffs. There were Pro's and Con's.

Pros:

1. Michael Chavis. It was awesome seeing Chavis finally getting called up. I expect him to do better in '20.

2. Devers: Did not expect Devers to be like this. Just came out of nowhere. He's already in the record books and he's only 22. I hope we can see more of this next year as well.

3. E-Rod: With Sale on the shelf E-Rod instantly became the teams ace. 2 more starts to get 20 Wins.

4. J.D Martinez: Picked up where he left off last year. I hope he doesn't Opt out. Would like him to be in the lineup. If he's back would like him to shift to DH.

5. Vaz: He really produced this year. Each year getting better but this year was different.

Cons:

1. Starting Pitching. Everyone except E-Rod just did not execute. Seems like E-Rod was carrying the team while the other starters did not play up to par.

2. Bullpen: Disaster. That is the reason why DD was fired. Stayed pat at the trade deadline. Even the call ups were horrible. I'm hoping some players don't return but given the fact we have a depleted farm system and trying to stay under the luxury threshold I know they will be back.

My thoughts on Betts: I think the FO will try again this winter with another offer. I mean he is the best player on team even compared to Trout.

There are more I want to write but don't want to clog the thread.

Needs: Bullpen, Starting Pitcher, But #1 is BP X100

We went from a 108 win season and a WS title to this embarrassing team. Have fun Boston watching the Yankees, Astros, Dodgers, Indians, Twins, A's, Braves, Nationals, Cardinals, Brewers, and Diamondbacks playing in the postseason. All because you decided to give up halfway through the season and were to cheap to go get someone to help the Bullpen.

Coming soon to a WWE Ring near you!

IDK who will be the new GM, but Friedman's contract is up.

We have too much talent to just sell everything off.

Sale, will be back, really not all that concerned about him. His peripherals were still solid.

I am okay with JD walking or opting back in. Porcello you let walk for sure unless he wants to sign a 1 year 7-10 million show me deal.

I hope Pedroia retires.

We are looking at:

Betts RF
    Benintendi LF
    Bogaerts SS
    Devers 3B
    Chavis 1B
    Dalbec DH (if Martinez leaves, and time at 3B)
    Vazquez C
    JBJ CF
    Holt/ 2B

I am for extending Holt at a reasonable price, his versatility is great.

Fix the bullpen, badly fix the bullpen. Letting Kelly and Kimbrell go wasn't a mistake, not replacing them was.

I am all for hiring a GM that is Cherington like, in terms of focusing on the farm. Our farm isn't as terrible as it may seem, there are a lot of interesting names and talent down there. Our Long term future will be secure if we have a top 10 system by 2021 (very possible).

**Last thing, E-Rod is someone I'd listen on for offers. If he wins his last start, a young 20 win lefty with an ERA in the 3s could bring back a nice haul. It is worth considering if he brings back two upper level good SP prospects and some Low minor high potential batter.

Sale
    Price
    Eovaldi
    E-rod
    Cashner (I think he has an option)
    Jackie Bradley Junior.... that is all

Quote Originally Posted by papipapsmanny View Post
    We have too much talent to just sell everything off.
    I agree, though the luxury tax position makes revitalizing this team pretty difficult. They may need to make a hard decision on one of the younger guys.

Sale, will be back, really not all that concerned about him. His peripherals were still solid.
    I certainly hope that he rebounds but I'm much more wait-and-see. His velocity was down and he was avoiding the fastball compared to previous years. That concerns me a bit. Plus the heavy workload to date matching up with some high profile pitchers who declined shortly after their age-30 season. He's in the neighborhood and that's why I'm not as certain.

I am okay with JD walking or opting back in. Porcello you let walk for sure unless he wants to sign a 1 year 7-10 million show me deal.
    Even as a long time Porcello backer, I think that he's got to go. Two of his last three seasons were pretty bad and his "good" season was more league-average with a tremendous offense padding his W-L.

I hope Pedroia retires.
    ray:

I am for extending Holt at a reasonable price, his versatility is great.
    Completely agree. Word is that Chavis is getting reps at 2B/LF this offseason. I'd love to see him at 2B; his bat is more valuable there and we have a lot more corner options.

Fix the bullpen, badly fix the bullpen. Letting Kelly and Kimbrell go wasn't a mistake, not replacing them was.
    Completely agree. Again. This is getting scary.

**Last thing, E-Rod is someone I'd listen on for offers. If he wins his last start, a young 20 win lefty with an ERA in the 3s could bring back a nice haul. It is worth considering if he brings back two upper level good SP prospects and some Low minor high potential batter.
    Okay, we finally disagree. E-Rod is the only cost-effective starter they have. I don't think that they can afford to move him. I would honestly listen on every other starter. Chances are that they are all buy-low offers. If there was a serious one to dump Price then I'd do it.

Cashner (I think he has an option)
    He does and I think that's related to why they picked him up. He was effective in the BP so there may be room to use him there or in the rotation depending on how the offseason breaks.

I think they will also need to consider fielding offers for (at least) one of the arb guys. I think that the majority of the retiring contracts are offset by upcoming raises.

As a rival, I hate you guys, lol, but, I have to say....wtf happened here? I am shocked at this season....I mean, it isn't so rare that a championship team somewhat blows the next year once in a while, but, damn, the Red Sox just died in 2019. If I remember correctly, even Sale was doing badly before he made his exit.

Short version: Dombrowski prioritized keeping the WS team together with the assumption that they would just keep rolling and he was very, very wrong. The rotation that did not miss many planned starts in 2018 had no depth and switched to the opener/bullpen model out of necessity. The offense continued to be prolific, but uneven, and they lost a lot of 8-6 type games.

Not meant as a slight against a Yankee fan but it reminded me of some 1980s Yankee teams -- lots of high priced "name" players without getting the expected results.

Quote Originally Posted by DethRidesAHorse View Post
    As a rival, I hate you guys, lol, but, I have to say....wtf happened here? I am shocked at this season....I mean, it isn't so rare that a championship team somewhat blows the next year once in a while, but, damn, the Red Sox just died in 2019. If I remember correctly, even Sale was doing badly before he made his exit.
    Allow me to answer

WE SUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKED.

Coming soon to a WWE Ring near you!

I agree that I don't want to see a sell off of talent.Pitching and using the farm system properly again are the priorities.Pitching keep E-Rod anyone else needs to be very under team friendly terms or what's the point?Finding someone who understands and cares about building a farm system is really a huge priority that maybe the fan base doesn't pick up on but should be part of the battle cry after such an embarrassing season.

A couple of things.

A Mets fan in the MLB thread said he would offer Syndergaard and Diaz for Betts.

Say that were a real offer and Betts just absolutely is turning down any extension offers, I would do that and I am extending Syndergaard

I approach JD and say hey, opt out and we will re up you at 5 years 20 million per (this is giving him an extra 40 million). Give him 5 million signing bonus for 2020.

Let Cashner go, re-up Holt maybe 3 years 21 million?. Essentially do what you can to Force Pedroia to retire.

I have Chavis play LF. I sign Justin Smoak on a buy low candidate to play 1B.

Benny RF
    Bogaerts SS
    Devers 3B
    Martinez DH
    Smoak 1B
    Chavis LF
    Holt 2B (and Hernandez)
    Vazquez C
    JBJ CF

Sale
    Syndergaard
    Price
    Eovaldi
    E-Rod

Diaz CL - Add some other BP pieces.

Certainly a very much different route to being a very good team. SP on paper can be great. Still a good amount of offensive talent there. Everyone in that lineup is capable of a 2.5+ WAR season, and about 4 of them can be 4+ WAR players

A possible thought here

This is pretty much what I expected. For all the local talk that JDM was likely to stay in BOS, Boras has already cranked up the hype machine. Seems very unlikely Martinez doesn't opt-out.

What Scott Boras said about his client shouldn't have surprised anyone.

"When you go back and look at the last three years, this is one of the greatest hitters in Major League Baseball," the agent said on the "Big-Time Baseball" podcast when talking about J.D. Martinez. "This is a person who is a foundational leader of a team, this is a person who plays 40-50 games in the outfield. None of those categories have anything to do with being a DH.

“There are only three or four players in the game that have had a 1.000 OPS over the last three years and they not only hit for power but for average, they’re on base, they are literally a core… that is the vision of J.D. Martinez that I believe all teams have. I know my clients Jackie Bradley (Jr.) or Xander Bogaerts… have been dramatically benefitted by what J.D. Martinez does and what information he provides and the intensity he brings to the players… You just have difficulty in the game finding people that you know are one of the top five hitters in the game so I don’t think teams would in any way view J.D. Martinez as a DH."

Get the picture? Call Martinez anything you want, but don't you suggest to Boras he is a designated hitter. Because if you did classify the righty hitter as just a DH than that would make the idea of the $62.5 million committed to the 32-year-old by the Red Sox a fairly reasonable rate.
    weei.com

A couple of things.

A Mets fan in the MLB thread said he would offer Syndergaard and Diaz for Betts.

Say that were a real offer and Betts just absolutely is turning down any extension offers, I would do that and I am extending Syndergaard

I approach JD and say hey, opt out and we will re up you at 5 years 20 million per (this is giving him an extra 40 million). Give him 5 million signing bonus for 2020.

Let Cashner go, re-up Holt maybe 3 years 21 million?. Essentially do what you can to Force Pedroia to retire.
    Starting from the premise that you can do that deal, there's nothing here that I really dislike. The possibility of Syndergaard for two years at a reasonable rate makes a lot of things work.

I have Chavis play LF. I sign Justin Smoak on a buy low candidate to play 1B.
    This doesn't make as much sense to me. Smoak just played his age-32 season and what you're calling "buy low" is a season that actually looks remarkably like his career average (career: .231/.324/.420, 104OPS+, 25HR; 2019: .208/.342/.406, 101OPS+, 22HR). I am not sure that the internal options don't work just as well.

Buy cheap is the phrase. Not sure you find his MLB power internally. I have no problem signing him for 1B for 1 year, plus his BABIP was awfully low this year

Eh, I guess. Sometimes cheap things are cheap because they're not very valuable. I usually associated "buy low" with a bounce-back candidate which is why I questioned it. I think that Smoak had a couple of career-years to round out his "baseball prime" window but has regressed to roughly what you'd expect out of him.

For similar money, I'm not entirely sure that Moreland it's as good an option. Their career numbers are very similar and Moreland's better defensively. Smoak might be a better option as a switch hitter, i guess.

I don't hate the idea of Smoak as a buy low option. Finishing with a wOBA of .327 doesn't inspire much confidence, but his expected wOBA of .367 is evidence he was unlucky. He finished this year with a lower K%, higher BB%, and a better average exit velocity than last year with worse overall numbers.

I wouldn't be surprised if he's more in line with his career numbers going forward as RST says, but there is a potential upside.