Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by papipapsmanny View Post
    A couple of things.

A Mets fan in the MLB thread said he would offer Syndergaard and Diaz for Betts.

Say that were a real offer and Betts just absolutely is turning down any extension offers, I would do that and I am extending Syndergaard

I approach JD and say hey, opt out and we will re up you at 5 years 20 million per (this is giving him an extra 40 million). Give him 5 million signing bonus for 2020.

Let Cashner go, re-up Holt maybe 3 years 21 million?. Essentially do what you can to Force Pedroia to retire.

I have Chavis play LF. I sign Justin Smoak on a buy low candidate to play 1B.

Benny RF
    Bogaerts SS
    Devers 3B
    Martinez DH
    Smoak 1B
    Chavis LF
    Holt 2B (and Hernandez)
    Vazquez C
    JBJ CF

Sale
    Syndergaard
    Price
    Eovaldi
    E-Rod

Diaz CL - Add some other BP pieces.

Certainly a very much different route to being a very good team. SP on paper can be great. Still a good amount of offensive talent there. Everyone in that lineup is capable of a 2.5+ WAR season, and about 4 of them can be 4+ WAR players

A possible thought here
    Wouldnít the best possible Betts trade be trying to unload Priceís or Porcello/Evoldi contracts into that deal the way they did in the Crawford, Gonzalez Beckett trade?
    Itís too much starting pitcher talent out there this offseason to just miss out on
    the New York Football Giants select.....

Quote Originally Posted by MagicBucsSox View Post
    Wouldnít the best possible Betts trade be trying to unload Priceís or Porcello/Evoldi contracts into that deal the way they did in the Crawford, Gonzalez Beckett trade?
    Itís too much starting pitcher talent out there this offseason to just miss out on
    No that's a terrible idea and this is a completely different situation. First Price is still an effective pitcher, and Eovaldi could be as well.

Porcello is gone

And you don't trade the top two best player in the league for a salary dump. People like to act like the world is ending but we can just stick to the fact.

Rotation going into next year

Sale
    Price
    Eovaldi
    E-Rod

(Can't assume injuries and can't assume no injuries there)

Betts
    Benintendi
    Bogaerts
    Devers
    Chavis
    JBJ
    Vazquez

Are all guaranteed to be here contractually next year. That is a top two player, two players that just had 6 WAR seaons (Devers, Bogaerts), a player capable of 3-5 WAR (Benintendi) and two 2-3 WAR players (JBJ, and Vazquez). Plus you have I'd say a better than 50-50 shot that a top offensive player opts in (JD).

The talent on this team is still very much elite and young. What do we need? Bullpen help, SP depth, and a 1B.

Cheapest way to fix 1B in my eyes is move Chavis there, resign Holt to a 3 year 18 million dollar deal and have holt and hernandez play 2B, plus Holt just adds so much value that he is capable with the bat and can play all over.
    Jackie Bradley Junior.... that is all

I agree we need help not just in the bullpen but we need quality starting pitching. If we can do that and get a solid hitter we will be back in the World Series conversation.

I also am a fan of trading for an SP, and it starting with either Chavis or Dalbec. Both of them scare me with their K-rates

Maybe someone like Joe Musgrove? Just need a 5 starter to eat innings, he wouldn't cost too much in terms of prospects, just spit balling here, or Maybe Matthew Boyd on the Tigers?

I also am a fan of trading for an SP, and it starting with either Chavis or Dalbec. Both of them scare me with their K-rates

Maybe someone like Joe Musgrove? Just need a 5 starter to eat innings, he wouldn't cost too much in terms of prospects, just spit balling here, or Maybe Matthew Boyd on the Tigers?
    I would want someone like Musgrove for the Red Sox

Itís not just to dump salary. You can add a younger Ace in Cole or Strasburg.
    Add a RF placement. We need more power. Especially LH. We needed it even if Martinez stays

Add a RF placement. We need more power. Especially LH. We needed it even if Martinez stays
    Crawford sucked though, Price is productive. Trading Betts for a salary dump to sign another big contract doesnt make sense either. From a value Standpoint you are trading Betts for players.

I don't buy its the money. If Betts makes it clear to us he is no signing here, then trade him. If we wants 30 million per year for 8 years you resign him.

Some of these guys need to stop posturing and saying its not all about the money. Harper left his home team for an extra what 30MM, he left for an extra 10%, which is really want in relative terms of a 300 million dollar offer.

If Betts leaves for a couple extra million then he is just another guy chasing money. We have to make a good offer though

Yes we need more power and honestly I would go after Cole as a SP to put in our rotation

We were 4 in runs scored and 5th in wOBA. If JD comes back we absolutely don't need to add anything on offense.

All resources should be focused on BP and a SP. That is it

Oh I most definitely agree we should focus on the bullpen and on starting pitching but if we add another bat it will be just another bonus

We were 4 in runs scored and 5th in wOBA. If JD comes back we absolutely don't need to add anything on offense.

All resources should be focused on BP and a SP. That is it
    What about JH's stated goal of getting under the CBT? If you like Betts then don't be short-sighted; getting under this year means that they reset their luxury tax penalties and CAN go over when he hits FA. I'd dump Price in a second to keep Betts.

J.D. Martinez has decided to stick around at least one more year.

According to multiple reports the 32-year-old is choosing to not use his opportunity to opt-out of a current deal with the Red Sox that is guaranteed to pay him $62.5 million over the next three seasons. Martinez will make $23.75 million in 2020. He does have another opportunity to opt-out following next season as well, with his number dropping to $19.375 million in 2021 and í22.

Martinezís continued presence in the Soxí batting order obviously helps Alex Coraís teamís chances for the coming season.
    weei.com

Oh, well. JDM wanting to stay with a team that will be competitive has virtually guaranteed that the Sox will move Betts. While some "not my money" types may object, baseball is still a business and the Sox need to reset their CBT penalties. Of the top payroll hits, Price ($31M), Sale ($25M), Eovaldi ($17M), and Pedroia ($13M) are virtually unmovable due to injury concerns. Bogaerts would bring back a haul but would also be a dumb move considering his production, contract length, and lack of options behind him.

I suppose that they could go the unlikely route of trying to move Martinez. However, the fact that he picked up his option pretty much tells you about his market. He has no market as an OFer and there's just not many teams interested in a full-time DH with a balky back.

That leaves Betts, but even he might not return what you'd think. He is obviously going to go to the FA market so the team acquiring him is not going to make a deal thinking that he can be extended. They might think that a year in their system could help them sign him long term but that's still a risk that would decrease his value. Then there's the nearly $28M arb estimate. He basically needs to go somewhere that (a) doesn't compete with BOS regularly and (b) has money to spend. The Angels might make the most sense. Maybe the Padres if they think that they could convince him to play with Machado after 2020. Or D'Backs if they want a "name" to replace Greinke? The braintrust out there (Hazen, Lovulo) is certainly familiar.

Iíd love to see a move like cliff lee trade to the brewers that year. Trade Betts to a desperate team like the Reds. Get 3-4 of their best prospects. Or 1-2 major league ready talent. Iím really intrigued by Rasiel Iglesias and Amir Garrett. Than back up the brinks truck for Betts next offseason. Seems he wants to stay in Boston but doesnít want to undercut his value by taking an extension. He wants to get his highest offer possible. But I think he would give Boston a chance to match it. You do what ever you can to keep a player like Betts. I really hope the rumors about Texas looking at price and Eovaldi. Admittedly I have a soft spot for Price but I would be fine sending Eovaldi and a couple mid level specs to the rangers just to get him off our books. IMO that was Dombrowskis biggest error. He should have been in the same class as Kelly and kimbrel. Thanks for what you did. We got as much value from you as possible best of luck with your future.

Trade Betts to a desperate team like the Reds. Get 3-4 of their best prospects. Or 1-2 major league ready talent.
    What's the motivation for "a desperate team like the Reds" to trade for one guaranteed year with Betts and give up top talent like that? I don't think that they have any at all. Betts' arb value is estimated at just under $28M and that might be conservative. I cannot see a desperate team making a move like that if desperate simply means a team that will do anything to put fans in seats. The team that makes a move for him is more likely to (a) be in or near the WC and (b) has both prospects and cash. The Reds don't qualify but someone like the Angels -- who said they have money to spend this winter -- might. As I mentioned earlier, I could also see the Padres jumping in given the number of BOS connections and their desire to get a marquee player alongside Machado.

I think that the basic premise of trading Betts for a year and then targeting him in FA makes sense. I don't want to lose him but the only way to keep him long term is to reset the luxury tax. If we trade him then we may be able to improve the starting pitching for 2020 and be better poised to make a run with him in 2021.
    Last edited by RedSoxtober; 11-08-2019 at 03:05 PM.

The Red Sox are planning on Dustin Pedroia giving it another try.

Chief Baseball Officer Chaim Bloom said at the GM Meetings Monday evening that in his conversations with the second baseman he has gotten the impression that Pedroia's injured left knee has shown enough improvement that there is an expectation that he is targeting playing again in 2020.

"Every indication Iíve gotten is that heís feeling good and intending on playing," Bloom said.

The path is a different one than many predicted considering Pedroia's tone since shutting things down last season, particularly after having knee joint preservation surgery in early Aug. The 35-year-old only played in nine games for the Red Sox before ultimately spending the majority of the 2019 campaign back at his home in Arizona.
    weei.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast