Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    Sox beated E-Rod in arb, he'll make $8.3 million.

In other news, Sox agreed to deal with Pillar: 1yr, $4 million pending physical. I like Pillar a lot, I hope he can regain his form, most of our OF are very solid defenders

I don't know what is going on with our team but it is like a transition period or this season will be another one with growing pains

Quote Originally Posted by poppapuh86 View Post
    The MLB and Dodgers didn't care about the maturity issues but now they trade him to the Red Sox it all of a sudden becomes a big deal. I couldn't care less.
    I guess that subtlety was lost on you. My point was that the issues reported by scouts prior to the trade were pretty small. The Dodgers and MLB both investigated Verdugo and cleared him so it's not that they didn't care.

Quote Originally Posted by mzg32 View Post
    Does anybody know what happened with E-Rod's arbitration hearing?

IIRC it was supposed to be held yesterday, but I haven't seen or heard any news about its outcome or if they reached a settlement before...
    As mentioned, Sox beat him so he gets $8.3M.

Quote Originally Posted by Tg11 View Post
    I don't know what is going on with our team but it is like a transition period or this season will be another one with growing pains
    I honestly think that the "horrors" of losing Betts have been overblown. He's a great player and a great person; you don't replace him. But when you save tens of millions of dollars, you may be able to get 80% or 90% of him -- particularly the non-2018 version which topped out at 135OPS+. If you get that at a few different positions then you've built a ROSTER rather than a single player.

I remember my frustrations of the 2016 team. They had basically only Ortiz in the lineup. If you have one $35M player, then your team trends towards looking like that.

Just because Mookie Betts is in Los Angeles doesn't mean talks between the Red Sox and Padres are dead.

The San Diego Union-Tribune is reporting that the Sox and San Diego have continued to engage in talks regarding a deal centering around sending first baseman/outfielder Wil Myers to Boston. The report goes on to state that the Padres are looking for the Red Sox to pick up about half of the $61 million still owed Myers over the next three years.

The Red Sox' interest in such a trade is more about acquiring a young starting pitcher in return, with top Padres prospect Cal Quantrill seemingly high on Chaim Bloom's list.

Myers' presence isn't the main motivation for the Red Sox, with the 29-year-old coming off a 2019 season which saw him hit just .239 with a .739 OPS and 18 home runs in 155 games. Bloom has familiarity with the former third-round pick of the Royals, having shared some time in the Tampa Bay organization during Myers' first two seasons in the big leagues.
    weei

FWIW, Cal Quantrill (see here) was a BA top-100 prospect in 2017 and 2018, pushing into the 40-50 range depending on who you asked. And yes, if you're old enough to remember, he's the son of one-time Sox pitcher Paul Quantrill who eventually made a bigger name for himself as a RP with the Jays.

Red Sox signed C Jonathan Lucroy to a minor league contract with an invitation to spring training.

The deal was agreed upon early Tuesday morning and has now been made official after Lucroy arrived at Red Sox camp in Florida on Wednesday and passed his physical. Lucroy struggled to a .232/.305/.355 batting line with eight home runs and 36 RBI in 101 games last season between the Angels and Cubs, but he'll get a chance to compete with Kevin Plawecki for the backup job behind Red Sox starting catcher Christian Vazquez.
    roto

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910