Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaban2.0 View Post
    Well, he also played an extra game in 2018 when the cubs and the brewers played for the division. He got a game 163, I've wondered how that affects things.
    The extra game would have had an effect if it had been in the 2015 season. Every season after that he had a full year of service time. You don't accrue extra just because the season is a game is longer.

Nice package if the rival execs are at all accurate. I'd do the deal.

Also, if you're hoping that the Sox can sign Betts long term, then this article might be of interest. In short, the Sox offered him $300M/10yr (possibly $310M) in ST. He (recently?) countered with $420M/12yr. I don't think that any player is "worth" $35M/yr given today's CBT limit. It's not a sustainable path for success.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSoxtober View Post
    Also, if you're hoping that the Sox can sign Betts long term, then this article might be of interest. In short, the Sox offered him $300M/10yr (possibly $310M) in ST. He (recently?) countered with $420M/12yr. I don't think that any player is "worth" $35M/yr given today's CBT limit (BESIDES MIKE TROUT). It's not a sustainable path for success.
    Fixed it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by ciaban2.0 View Post
    Fixed it for you.
    When the Angels play their second World Series with Mike Trout earning $35M/yr then I might agree. Until that time, I stand by what I said: $35M/yr is too much money for any player because it is not a sustainable path for success. With two of those players now consuming a third of their CBT payroll, the Halos better pray that they can get there once with significant help from arb and pre-arb players.

Alex Speier of the Boston Globe hears a decision on a trade of Mookie Betts may come in the next few days.
    "A resolution regarding the fate of Mookie Betts may be nearing," Speier said, citing sources familiar with negotiations who believe talks could culminate this week. The Padres and Dodgers are the two teams believed to be in the heaviest on the 27-year-old outfielder. Of course, there's always a chance the Sox choose to keep Betts heading into his final year of team control, but things have increasingly been trending toward the club dealing the 2018 AL MVP. It will be interesting to see what the team decides -- and who's involved in a potential deal -- in the coming days.
    roto

So far it sounds like the names coming back include Alex Verdugo and Brusdar Gasterol. The Sox are also reportedly subsidizing Price's salary so I would anticipate at least one more player coming back as a result.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSoxtober View Post
    So far it sounds like the names coming back include Alex Verdugo and Brusdar Gasterol. The Sox are also reportedly subsidizing Price's salary so I would anticipate at least one more player coming back as a result.
    That's pretty much it, they got fleeced.

I understand he Mookie was asking too much but wtf?.

Coming soon to a WWE Ring near you!

Quote Originally Posted by randyisgoinsolo View Post
    That's pretty much it, they got fleeced.
    Who?

Coming soon to a WWE Ring near you!

Terrible trade. Lose an MVP caliber stack in his prime for no high upside players.

I could understand a team like the Rays making a trade like this, but the Red Sox?

Imagine the Yankees trading Judge and Cole like that in a few years.

Players like Betts donít come along very often.

As classy as he is talented.

Top 5 player, homegrown, zero problems.

Good luck replacing that.

Red Sox was left with really no choice. If you;re upset about it then you can put the blame on both the owners and Mookie. This trade doesn't happen unless the owners agree. Mookie has made it known he wants to hit the open market because he knows how important he is to the players union. The Sox made many attempts to extend Mookie to no avail. With the investigation going on who knows that the penalty will be for the Sox. If it's the same as the Astros then the Sox needed to make a deal now rather than let him walk in the off-season for a comp pick, which we then in turn probably lose as punishment for the cheating scandal.

If you have any understanding of leverage then you'd see the Red Sox had just about zero which is why they brought the Padres into the mix to get the Dodgers back to the table before Spring Training.

Quote Originally Posted by poppapuh86 View Post
    Red Sox was left with really no choice. If you;re upset about it then you can put the blame on both the owners and Mookie. This trade doesn't happen unless the owners agree. Mookie has made it known he wants to hit the open market because he knows how important he is to the players union. The Sox made many attempts to extend Mookie to no avail. With the investigation going on who knows that the penalty will be for the Sox. If it's the same as the Astros then the Sox needed to make a deal now rather than let him walk in the off-season for a comp pick, which we then in turn probably lose as punishment for the cheating scandal.

If you have any understanding of leverage then you'd see the Red Sox had just about zero which is why they brought the Padres into the mix to get the Dodgers back to the table before Spring Training.
    Thank you for posting, the pink hats above you truly showed their understanding of this situation.

• Mookie wants more than Trout, he's not worth more than Trout. (Mookies best year was during the year we are being investigated for sign stealing).
    • Prices deal was a killer for the next three years.
    • Mookie tests free agency next year anyway... we get nothing for him then.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast