5 27.78%
  • OKC

11 61.11%
  • GMs here

2 11.11%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

PSD's Mock Offseason FINALS: NOP @ OKC

THIS IS NOT REAL

This is the culmination of a group of users on PSD playing out an entire NBA offseason. Please look at each team and determine who would win in a SEVEN game series. DO NOT VOTE ON TEAM FANDOM LINES. Only vote on which team would win the series. GMs are likely not even fans of that franchise and have just been playing for fun.

Votes are only legal from vouched users or users with 100+ posts

NOP
    PG: Malcolm Brogdon (28) - Fred VanVleet (20) - Isaiah Thomas
    SG: Eric Gordon (34) - Justise Winslow (8) - Malcolm Brogdon (6) - Tyler Johnson
    SF: LeBron James (35) - Justise Winslow (13) - Derrick Jones Jr.
    PF: Aaron Gordon (35) - Draymond Green (8) - LeBron James (5)
    C: Draymond Green (28) - Bam Adebayo (20) - Boban Marjanovic

@

OKC
    1: Kyrie Irving (36) - Norm Powell (6) - Brad Beal (6)
    2: Brad Beal (32) - Justin Holiday (8) - Norm Powell (8)
    3: Paul George (30) - Doug McDermott (12) - Norm Powell (6) - Denzel Valentine (0)
    4: PJ Tucker (20) - Paul George (10) - JaMychal Green (18) - Jared Dudley (Depends on matchup)
    5: Marc Gasol (34) - PJ Tucker (14) - Thon Maker (depends on matchup)
    Rand University

Rocky Top you’ll always be
    Home sweet home to me
    Good ol’ Rocky Top
    Rocky Top Tennessee

Voting will be up for N I N E days. Enjoy
    Rand University

Home sweet home to me
    Good ol’ Rocky Top
    Rocky Top Tennessee

I'll take Oklahoma City's three elite scoring options over New Orleans' one — maybe 1.5 depending on how you value a microwave scorer like Eric Gordon. George and Tucker are two great options for slowing down LeBron. Gasol's also got the paint covered.
    Draymond has an argument for the best defender on either team, but the matchup doesn't favor him. He won't stay in front of George, Beal or Irving. I don't see Brogdon and either Gordon slowing them down either.

I still have serious questions as to how the OKC offense would work, and their GM really hasn't alleviated any of those concerns for me. Kyrie-Beal-PG is obviously talented but it's weird as hell. And i have good defenders to throw at them with Brogdon, FVV, Winslow, Aaron Gordon, and some LeBron minutes on PG as well. I just don't seeing this weird mish mash of talent putting together 4 great games in the Finals to beat LeBron.

Conversely, I think my offense will perform great against the Thunder. LeBron historically has put up 28.3, 8.4, and 6.2 shooting 52.5% against Paul George in the playoffs, winning 16 of his 23 matchups. In their most recent matchup in 2017, LeBron scored 41 33 and 25 in the 3 playoff games they played against each other and shot over 50% in each of those games. This notion that Paul George is some sort of LeBron stopper is simply not true. And if OKC really plans on George being the primary defender against LeBron in this series, that is going to severely limit his offensive production. And with my solid guard scorers playing against weak defenders, and the offensive ability that Aaron Gordon has, i think i'll score more than enough points to win this series.

OKC has more talent top to bottom, but I just love the way that New Orleans team is constructed. Not only does that team offensively and defensively fit like a glove, but it's really deep, too. Having FVV, Bam and Winslow off the bench makes for a really incredible 8-man rotation. That team just has zero holes on paper.

I'd like to see a little debate for making a decision, but I'm kinda leaning toward the Pelicans right now.

Would still like to hear from the other GM in this matchup. I just don't see how that weirdly constructed team is beating LeBron James with all of this talent around him, especially with a legitimate 8 man rotation that won't ask LeBron to do more than he can handle.

I dont really see how a Kyrie, Beal, PG team is weirdly constructed, especially when the other 2 positions are filled with arguably two of the best role players in the game.

PG just put up his best season ever with Westbrook as his PG, and Kyrie has already played with one of the most ball dominant players of all time with Bron, not to mention Beal is very efficient not being the primary guy on offense.

New Orleans defense and bench for me is why this is super tough to decide. They very much remind me of last seasons Raptors.
    Rand University

Home sweet home to me
    Good ol’ Rocky Top
    Rocky Top Tennessee

Thing is, that Raptors team would have lost to a healthy team full of stars - which Beal, George and Kyrie are. Furthermore, Beal's always deferred to Wall prior to last season. I see this as an advantage as Beal has learned to take over games with a higher usage if need be while predominantly being a robin. Sure, he's entering his prime. That just means he'll be even more mature to co-exist. Next, Kyrie's been successful with both Love/Bron. Finally, George just shared the workload with Russ out of all people and put up massive numbers.

Fit becomes an issue when you have egos, players who are not capable of sharing the rock and a lack of spacing. All three of these guys have been part of the stacked USA teams and/or deferred to players listed above on previous teams. Ego won't be an issue. Having arguably the best passing centre in the NBA will allow for easier ball movement and will thus encourage the ball movement. I know Kyrie's played with Horford before but we saw what Marc did to the Raptors with his passing and extremely gifted picks. Kyrie/PG/Beal would LOVE playing with Marc offensively. PJ Tucker is rugged, he crashes the boards and sets the hardest picks ever. I've literally assembled this front court on purpose to perfectly compliment my back court in terms of the big men's usage, ability to shoot, quality of picks and passing.

Last year:

Kyrie Irving - 40.1% from 3 on 2.6/6.5 attempts per game
    Paul George - 38.6% from 3 on 3.8/9.8 attempts per game
    Brad Beal - 35.1% from 3 on 2.5/7.3 attempts per game
    Marc Gasol - 36.3% from 3 on 1.3/3.5 attempts per game
    PJ Tucker - 37.7% from 3 on 1.8/4.7 attempts per game
    Jamychal Green - 41.3% from 3 on 1.4/3.3 attempts per game
    Norm Powell - 40% from 3 on 1.1/2.8 attempts per game
    Doug McDermott - 40.8% from 3 on 1.1/2.7 attempts per game
    Justin Holiday - 34.8% from 3 on 2.0/5.7 attempts per game

Also, take in my team's defense with Paul George, PJ Tucker and Marc Gasol. Brad Beal is also a solid defender. I know you have Bron/Draymond but did you see what Marc did to Draymond in the NBA finals?

Quote Originally Posted by Super. View Post
    I dont really see how a Kyrie, Beal, PG team is weirdly constructed, especially when the other 2 positions are filled with arguably two of the best role players in the game.

PG just put up his best season ever with Westbrook as his PG, and Kyrie has already played with one of the most ball dominant players of all time with Bron, not to mention Beal is very efficient not being the primary guy on offense.

New Orleans defense and bench for me is why this is super tough to decide. They very much remind me of last seasons Raptors.
    I understand George's success in the regular season, but this is now the playoffs. It was pretty clear he wasnt comfortable with a ball dominant guard when it mattered most, and he now is on a team with the ball dominant guard who imploded a contender's chances last season. I'm not saying this wouldn't work, but it's highly combustible to say the least.

And when you contrast that with a team of perfect role players around LeBron (I get that Draymond is a top 20 player but I am just referring to what we would be doing offensively) and it just makes a lot more sense. The 7 players that would be playing around LeBron all have perfectly carved out roles to fit their strengths, and they can each excel without having to try and balance the needs of 3 ball dominant players.

I do find the Raptors comparison to be an interesting one, but this is a bit different. The team around LeBron I would say is more talented from top to bottom than what Kawhi had around him in Toronto. And even taking KD out of the picture, the Warriors team had more talent than what this Thunder team has.

Quote Originally Posted by TO Rapz View Post
    Thing is, that Raptors team would have lost to a healthy team full of stars - which Beal, George and Kyrie are. Furthermore, Beal's always deferred to Wall prior to last season. I see this as an advantage as Beal has learned to take over games with a higher usage if need be while predominantly being a robin. Sure, he's entering his prime. That just means he'll be even more mature to co-exist. Next, Kyrie's been successful with both Love/Bron. Finally, George just shared the workload with Russ out of all people and put up massive numbers.

Fit becomes an issue when you have egos, players who are not capable of sharing the rock and a lack of spacing. All three of these guys have been part of the stacked USA teams and/or deferred to players listed above on previous teams. Ego won't be an issue. Having arguably the best passing centre in the NBA will allow for easier ball movement and will thus encourage the ball movement. I know Kyrie's played with Horford before but we saw what Marc did to the Raptors with his passing and extremely gifted picks. Kyrie/PG/Beal would LOVE playing with Marc offensively. PJ Tucker is rugged, he crashes the boards and sets the hardest picks ever. I've literally assembled this front court on purpose to perfectly compliment my back court in terms of the big men's usage, ability to shoot, quality of picks and passing.

Last year:

Kyrie Irving - 40.1% from 3 on 2.6/6.5 attempts per game
    Paul George - 38.6% from 3 on 3.8/9.8 attempts per game
    Brad Beal - 35.1% from 3 on 2.5/7.3 attempts per game
    Marc Gasol - 36.3% from 3 on 1.3/3.5 attempts per game
    PJ Tucker - 37.7% from 3 on 1.8/4.7 attempts per game
    Jamychal Green - 41.3% from 3 on 1.4/3.3 attempts per game
    Norm Powell - 40% from 3 on 1.1/2.8 attempts per game
    Doug McDermott - 40.8% from 3 on 1.1/2.7 attempts per game
    Justin Holiday - 34.8% from 3 on 2.0/5.7 attempts per game

Also, take in my team's defense with Paul George, PJ Tucker and Marc Gasol. Brad Beal is also a solid defender. I know you have Bron/Draymond but did you see what Marc did to Draymond in the NBA finals?
    I get that you want to act like Kyrie doesn't have an ego, but no one is buying it. The dude blew up his chances at multiple rings with LeBron in Cleveland because he wanted his own team, and then blew up a second team in 2 years. The guy has a problem personality wise, and it can't be overlooked in a series as important as this. Especially when he's playing against a cyborg in LeBron who will be doing everything that he possibly can to beat the hell out of your roster.

Yes, you have shooters. So do I. Don't really see why you felt the need to include their 3pt% numbers, no one questioned the spacing.

I have the defenders that will give OKC's stars hell in this series. Brogdon (Kyrie, Beal), FVV (Kyrie, Beal), Winslow (Kyrie, Beal, George), and Aaron Gordon (George) are all very good defenders and will see time on the 3 stars mentioned. And again, I have the greatest help defender in the entire league with Draymond Green helping them in the interior.

This series is a question of whether or not you believe a team featuring the greatest player of our generation with the deepest 8 man rotation he's ever had and the skillsets around him that fit his game perfectly, can beat a team with a bit more talent but exponentially more question marks and matchup issues they need to deal with. I, personally, will always take LeBron in that scenario.

The NBA Finals are here and we have one hell of a match up. We have the Oklahoma City Thunder who finally found a way to turn the page after their heartbreaking loss of Kevin Durant.

With General Manager TO’s trade of Russell Westbrook he brought the Thunder back from salary cap purgatory and with corresponding moves turned them into the Championship favorites.

Their opponents The New Orleans Pelicans entered this offseason with extremely high level of uncertainty, franchise corner stone Anthony Davis’ request to be traded was thought to be the final nail in the Pelicans coffin. General Manager UTB did not falter in his quest to turn the trade of Davis into a positive. He did so by landing Lebron James from the Lakers. With Lebron and what what could be argued is his best supporting cast of his career this underdog squad promises to challenge OKC all the way to the end.

In this Modern Day David vs Goliath matchup here is my analysis of my predicted outcome.

While TO’s Thunder with out a doubt carry more “name value” with the 3 headed monster that is Kyrie-Beal-PG13 to go along with PJ Tucker and Marc Gasol 2019 NBA champion. After his starting 5 he carries a collection of bench scrubs. Who’s best days are either behind them or never materialized at all. The fact is, he is required to play his 5 starters 40-45 minutes a game which will cost him over a 7 game series.

UTB’s Pelicans are built to survive over the long haul. He has 8 players who either have been or certainly have the talent to be starters on NBA Championship winning teams.

His ability to alter his lineup based on matchup is what will ultimately lead his team to victory and end the historical run OKC has enjoyed during this year’s playoffs.

Malcolm Brogdon - Kyrie Irving Matchup is not as one sided as name value alone leads you to think. Brogdon’s efficiency on both ends of the floor will only be he better with Lebron as his team mate

The matchup of SG while on paper looks bad but you have to realize UTB has the best of both world. With a player like Justice Winslow there to slow Beal down and also the Shooter off the bench in Eric Gordon to provide some offensive spark while Beal is on the Bench.

SF is a wash. The 2 best players on each team reside here.

PF & C. We will break this down as one position since both teams are using virtually the same plan.

With Bam Adebayo UTB has someone to Clang and Bang with Marc Gasol. With Draymond Green he as someone who can out play PJ Tucker. The fact UTB also has Aaron Gordon to play a bunch of minutes just proves my overall point .

While TO’s Thunder have the better name value, UTB’s Pelicans are a real team. They run at least 8 deep and have the ability to change their game plan based off what the other team chooses to do with out losing a step.

And last but not least The overall Teamwork and Leadership of the Pelicans is what truly wins me over. The Thunder while great are a team full of Robins and not a single Batman!

2020 NBA Champions. New Orleans Pelicans!

The biggest issue for me and New Orleans is that LBJ doesnt have that secondary guy on offense to rely on. He's surrounded by excellent role players, but never won without a secondary offensive star.

Bron has a lot of ****ing minutes on that frame, and Im just not sold on the fact that he has to offensively shoulder the load in this series, especially when OKC has 3 players who can effectively do that if necessary.

I like Brogdon, but Im sorry, he's just not on Cryrie's level, and I currently despise Cryrie. Gordon isnt even close to Beal either. Obviously Bron is a better player than PG, but its not by some insane gap.

Dray is the ultimate role player, but his matchup is...Marc Gasol or PJ Tucker? Thats not a great matchup.

I think, at the end of the day the star power just wins it, and this NOP team is one of the most solid teams Ive ever seen constructed, but theyre just that, solid. At the end of the day, Bron can't shoulder it all.
    Rand University

Home sweet home to me
    Good ol’ Rocky Top
    Rocky Top Tennessee

Just so we're clear on rotations here:

Bam Adebayo would be playing all of his minutes against Gasol. I figured this was obvious, but I received multiple questions about it so I just wanted to clarify.

Eric Gordon would play every minute that either Beal or Kyrie aren't on the floor, to ensure that Brogdon-FVV-Winslow are defending those two guards as much as possible. This allows for EG to not have to defend these two players and instead feast on the Thunder's weak bench.

The biggest issue for me and New Orleans is that LBJ doesnt have that secondary guy on offense to rely on. He's surrounded by excellent role players, but never won without a secondary offensive star.

Bron has a lot of ****ing minutes on that frame, and Im just not sold on the fact that he has to offensively shoulder the load in this series, especially when OKC has 3 players who can effectively do that if necessary.

I like Brogdon, but Im sorry, he's just not on Cryrie's level, and I currently despise Cryrie. Gordon isnt even close to Beal either. Obviously Bron is a better player than PG, but its not by some insane gap.

Dray is the ultimate role player, but his matchup is...Marc Gasol or PJ Tucker? Thats not a great matchup.

I think, at the end of the day the star power just wins it, and this NOP team is one of the most solid teams Ive ever seen constructed, but theyre just that, solid. At the end of the day, Bron can't shoulder it all.
    I just think this is a silly argument. Let's go back to 2013, shall we? Dwyane Wade averaged 15.9 ppg in those playoffs, and Bosh averaged 12. Are you really saying they were secondary offensive stars for LeBron to win that season? And for reference, Eric Gordon (17.8) this past postseason averaged more than Wade that year, and Aaron Gordon (15.2) and Malcolm Brogdon (13.0) averaged more than Bosh. This argument that LeBron doesn't have enough offense around him is a false one. He doesn't need Anthony Davis next to him to help him shoulder the load. The Gordon's, Brogdon, FVV, Winslow, Green, Bam are all guys that can do things offensively. Just because LeBron is easily the best offensive player on the team doesn't mean that this offense is destined to fail.

I just think PSD gets sucked in to superstar voting too easily in these games without looking at the bigger picture. LeBron is easily the best player in this series, obviously, but he has so much talent around him that he doesn't have to do everything in this series. This talent will do plenty to take the load off of LeBron, and allow him to excel in crunch time when hero ball is actually necessary.

And what's this nonsense about Draymond not having a great matchup in this series? The guy is the best help defender in the league, and that doesn't just change because he isn't challenged on the defensive end by his matchup. You bet your *** all 18 of Jamychal Green's minutes will be defended by Draymond, and this will allow him to play free safety in the paint and stop anything coming to the rim. Draymond is getting criminally underrated in other's posts so far, and I don't understand it at all. He will have the second biggest impact behind LeBron on this series, easily.

You realize J Green is an above average 3 point shooter right? Are you implying that Dray is just going to ignore him to poach the rest of the defense?

Also I like how you brought up 2013 numbers and very much neglected to note that was SIX years ago and thousands of minutes played by Bron and that was a huge point that I made, not to mention that 2013 D Wade was still considered to be one of the top SGs in the league at this point. (Top 20 in the league in several categories that season) you of all people to downplay how good Wade was then is astounding to me.

Pretty much made up my mind with that single comment.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Rand University

Home sweet home to me
    Good ol’ Rocky Top
    Rocky Top Tennessee

You realize J Green is an above average 3 point shooter right? Are you implying that Dray is just going to ignore him to poach the rest of the defense?

Also I like how you brought up 2013 numbers and very much neglected to note that was SIX years ago and thousands of minutes played by Bron and that was a huge point that I made, not to mention that 2013 D Wade was still considered to be one of the top SGs in the league at this point. (Top 20 in the league in several categories that season) you of all people to downplay how good Wade was then is astounding to me.

Pretty much made up my mind with that single comment.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Ahh yes, jamychal and his 2.7 three point attempts per game. I have no idea how I could survive the offensive onslaught from him.

Dwyane was still great of course, but just look st the numbers. He wasn’t on the same level in that postseason. There really isn’t any disputing that

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast