Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Week 3: Cincinnati Bengals (0-2) vs. Buffalo Bills (2-0)

No Singletary for this one.
    Chicago CubsChicago BlackhawksBuffalo BillsSouthern Illinois University Salukis

Naomi OsakaAngelique KerberBianca Andreescu

Andre Roberts will be making his season debut tomorrow. Taron Johnson is out.

Should be an interesting game.

Yeah, saw that Singletary is out. Hammy's are tough, if you rush 'em back to quickly they recur. He could miss two or three weeks.

I'm curious to see how our D responds to Ross & Boyd. They're the first decent receivers we'll have played.

I'm also a lot more worried about our OL than anyone else. I'm curious how our Ts handle Dunlap and Hubbard. We allowed 3 sacks last week to a nothing Front-7, in the running for worst in the league.

Allen.
    Knox.
    Passing defence.
    Yessssss.

Great half. Really missed an opportunity there at the end, but hard not to be pleased with the way they played.

That's 3-0 boys!!!

My goodness this team is fun!

Other than that int, I was really pleased with what I saw from Allen. He missed a couple throws but also made a few that most qb’s wouldnt have been able to.
    You can see the chemistry with the WR’s building.

Hyde was also a beast and is the clear captain of the defence. He’s very smart and gets guys in position. There was 2 plays where he was telling the guys where to go and they were in on the play both times.

Also Knox... he could be legit. He’s a big boy out there.
    I’m pretty damn pleased with the early results from this draft. Last seasons draft was great too imo.

Still a lot of work to do but I’m definitely pleased with what I’ve seen from this Staff.

Watch the ESPN all-21 coming this week. In the box watching the game, Foster and Brown were wide open all day long. Either the game plan by McDermott was to not throw deep, making him an idiot, or realizing Allen cant throw deep, making him very smart.

The fact is, to beat the leagues best, our QB needs to hit the 50+yard bomb for a TD, throwing to one of our speedsters in stride for the homerun play. There was someone from ESPN in our box, not their beat reporter, who is going to highlight 8 wide open routes by Foster and Brown, who did get a look by Allen, but he threw it short instead. What you probably didnt see is OC Daboll screaming at Allen from the side lines as Foster wasnt even covered, all alone up the side line, 8 yard attempt to Beasley instead. A play or two later, he threw the deep pass to Foster, probably after hearing Daboll flip the F out, on a long 30+ yard pass into the endzone, and we were lucky it wasn't intercepted as Cinci dropped the ball. Not having any accuracy at 30+ yard throws is something that is true and something I been saying since his days in college, but you all want to ignore that. You guys might think yesterday was an awsome win for him, but I think it was a lucky one. Allen took us out of FG Range with his IG penalty. Threw the INT letting Cinci back into the game. Allen got Lucky with the fumble and two other passes would have been intercepted by better players, but Cinci's guys dropped the ball that were pretty much thrown to them instead of our WR.

As excited as we all are that we are 3-0, lets not forget, we beat three pretty bad teams. And with these three bad teams, these are Allen's average yards per throw in our 1st 2nd and 3rd game. 6.8, 8.4, 6.9 = 7.3 yards per throw average. Yes, Allen is good enough to nickle and Dime 3 teams that have a combined record of 1-8. And because of our DEFENSE, we will also beat Tenn, Wash, Miami Twice, Browns and the Jets again, giving us 9 quick wins. The true test is New England, Pitt, and even Philly. All better coached than the teams we faced and all smart enough to know that a 7.3 yards per attempt is not the gameplan, it is his ceiling, so they will clog the middle, dare him to throw long, and his INT's or incompletes, will help the other teams defense. You will absolutely see that this week against the Pats. Bellichick's team, who hasnt allowed a TD since the KC playoff game, will not allow Allen to throw these nickle and dime passes. Allen will be dared to throw the homerun ball, so this is a perfect game for Allen to finally make a name for himself and make all the naysayers believers.

In other news, I love Ford, but he cannot play right tackle. Every TD except for one this year came with Ford at Guard and Nysekhe at Tackle. When Ford plays RT, he cannot handle the speed and that's when you see Allen running for his life, taking us out of FG range on the intentional grounding called, getting sacked or throwing it away. This is not an opinion, it is a fact, everything good this team has done is with Nysekhe at Tackle and all of the collapses we see is when Ford is at Tackle.

As for TE Sweeney & Kroft, forget about them. Sweeney has made a few catches here and there, but Knox clearly needs to be our #1 TE and on the field every snap. Neither TE are capable of doing what Knox does, if they get the pass, So Knox needs to be in there from this point on.

Special teams will change now with Roberts out there. I dont know how much you have seen on TV, but he is a leader out there. He is screaming at players where he wants them to stand, changing their positioning before kicks. And on every catch, you can clearly see he wants to run and not afraid of the hits. After each catch, he was on the sideline banging his head in frustration over not being able to do more. Against NE, he is hungry, he will run one back.

Quote Originally Posted by sabres11 View Post
    Watch the ESPN all-21 coming this week. In the box watching the game, Foster and Brown were wide open all day long. Either the game plan by McDermott was to not throw deep, making him an idiot, or realizing Allen cant throw deep, making him very smart.

The fact is, to beat the leagues best, our QB needs to hit the 50+yard bomb for a TD, throwing to one of our speedsters in stride for the homerun play. There was someone from ESPN in our box, not their beat reporter, who is going to highlight 8 wide open routes by Foster and Brown, who did get a look by Allen, but he threw it short instead. What you probably didnt see is OC Daboll screaming at Allen from the side lines as Foster wasnt even covered, all alone up the side line, 8 yard attempt to Beasley instead. A play or two later, he threw the deep pass to Foster, probably after hearing Daboll flip the F out, on a long 30+ yard pass into the endzone, and we were lucky it wasn't intercepted as Cinci dropped the ball. Not having any accuracy at 30+ yard throws is something that is true and something I been saying since his days in college, but you all want to ignore that. You guys might think yesterday was an awsome win for him, but I think it was a lucky one. Allen took us out of FG Range with his IG penalty. Threw the INT letting Cinci back into the game. Allen got Lucky with the fumble and two other passes would have been intercepted by better players, but Cinci's guys dropped the ball that were pretty much thrown to them instead of our WR.

As excited as we all are that we are 3-0, lets not forget, we beat three pretty bad teams. And with these three bad teams, these are Allen's average yards per throw in our 1st 2nd and 3rd game. 6.8, 8.4, 6.9 = 7.3 yards per throw average. Yes, Allen is good enough to nickle and Dime 3 teams that have a combined record of 1-8. And because of our DEFENSE, we will also beat Tenn, Wash, Miami Twice, Browns and the Jets again, giving us 9 quick wins. The true test is New England, Pitt, and even Philly. All better coached than the teams we faced and all smart enough to know that a 7.3 yards per attempt is not the gameplan, it is his ceiling, so they will clog the middle, dare him to throw long, and his INT's or incompletes, will help the other teams defense. You will absolutely see that this week against the Pats. Bellichick's team, who hasnt allowed a TD since the KC playoff game, will not allow Allen to throw these nickle and dime passes. Allen will be dared to throw the homerun ball, so this is a perfect game for Allen to finally make a name for himself and make all the naysayers believers.

In other news, I love Ford, but he cannot play right tackle. Every TD except for one this year came with Ford at Guard and Nysekhe at Tackle. When Ford plays RT, he cannot handle the speed and that's when you see Allen running for his life, taking us out of FG range on the intentional grounding called, getting sacked or throwing it away. This is not an opinion, it is a fact, everything good this team has done is with Nysekhe at Tackle and all of the collapses we see is when Ford is at Tackle.

As for TE Sweeney & Kroft, forget about them. Sweeney has made a few catches here and there, but Knox clearly needs to be our #1 TE and on the field every snap. Neither TE are capable of doing what Knox does, if they get the pass, So Knox needs to be in there from this point on.

Special teams will change now with Roberts out there. I dont know how much you have seen on TV, but he is a leader out there. He is screaming at players where he wants them to stand, changing their positioning before kicks. And on every catch, you can clearly see he wants to run and not afraid of the hits. After each catch, he was on the sideline banging his head in frustration over not being able to do more. Against NE, he is hungry, he will run one back.
    Foster was only on the field for 18 snaps. I'm not reading the rest. It's entirely too long.

Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    I’m pretty damn pleased with the early results from this draft. Last seasons draft was great too imo.

Still a lot of work to do but I’m definitely pleased with what I’ve seen from this Staff.
    Hey Chong,

Don't take this wrong, truly, I'm honestly not trying to pick on you, but their top pick Oliver hasn't done anything to date. The narrative out there suggests that he has. To illustrate that, consider the following;

Oliver’s only in on 62.5% of the snap counts on D indicates that the coaching staff is also seeing that he’s not playing at a level commensurate with his 9th overall and “best DT in the draft” status. If he were he'd be in on no fewer than 80% of snaps

The two Phillipses have 70.5% combined, only 8% more, and also combined have:

2 passes defenses to Oliver’s 1
    1.5 sacks to Oliver’s none
    2 tackles-for-loss to Oliver’s 0
    4 QB Hits to Oliver’s 1 (Note: Oliver’s was on that play where we rushed 6 to 5 blockers and he got thru unblocked, he’s beaten no one for anything significant)
    9 combined tackles, 6 solo tackles, 3 assisted tackles to Oliver’s 5/3/2.

Oliver has 87 snaps, the Phillipses have 98. Neither Phillips has been regarded nearly as highly as Oliver has.

Oliver’s underperforming in a big way.

As to Knox, he's got 5 catches, one of which was his 49-yarder on Sunday, the other 4 have gone for a total of 37 yards, fewer than 10 ypr. On his lone TD he was WIDE open more by play design than by skill. Same for that deep throw for 49, the D simply ignored him for some reason. So my point is that he's not making plays in traffic by any measure, quite the opposite, kind of like Oliver's only big play being on being completely unblocked while whifffing on what should have been an easy sack for a QB Hit instead due to poor tackling technique.

Knox is tied for the lowest catch % on the team.

Having said that, I'm not at all impressed with this draft class at this pointa and it leads, for me anyway, to serious questions as to their methodologies. The fact that Lotulolei's snaps are going down doesn't say much for their biggest acquisition in their inaugural season either.

Just sayin', and to challenge narratives.

Quote Originally Posted by sabres11 View Post
    As excited as we all are that we are 3-0, lets not forget, we beat three pretty bad teams. And with these three bad teams, these are Allen's average yards per throw in our 1st 2nd and 3rd game. 6.8, 8.4, 6.9 = 7.3 yards per throw average. Yes, Allen is good enough to nickle and Dime 3 teams that have a combined record of 1-8. And because of our DEFENSE, we will also beat Tenn, Wash, Miami Twice, Browns and the Jets again, giving us 9 quick wins. The true test is New England, Pitt, and even Philly.

In other news, I love Ford, but he cannot play right tackle. Every TD except for one this year came with Ford at Guard and Nysekhe at Tackle. When Ford plays RT, he cannot handle the speed and that's when you see Allen running for his life, taking us out of FG range on the intentional grounding called, getting sacked or throwing it away.
    The teams we've beaten are among the few worst in the league. None have any kind of defense, Cincy was ranked 32nd in defense last season and appear to be headed towards that same DFL status again this season.

As with you I've not been impressed with Ford in the least. The reason why they're tag-teaming him wth Nsecke is because he's not cutting it, but neither is Nsecke.

In fact, I don't think that the OL is much better than last year's OL at all. Maybe a little. Morse is very good and an upgrade, but after him I'm not seeing it, and his value is tied to his ability to stay uninjured.

Here's the thing, and I got into this with another Bills' fan friend, but as to winning games they should be winning, that’s what they did last season. Against teams with 9 or fewer wins we went 6-3, against teams with 10 or more wins and playoff teams we not only went 0-7 but we were outscored in those 7 games 69-225, contrasted with outscoring the other 9 teams 201-149.

Honestly, I don’t even know how to begin reconciling that statistically other than drawing pure luck into the equation. I mean honestly, how does a team go from being outscored on average 10-32 against 10+ win teams, while outscoring non-playoff 9- win teams 22-17? That’s a swing of 27 points-per-game. It’s mindboggling.

But consider, our average score against the worst teams on our schedule is 22-16 right now. We've scored 66 and allowed 47, about exactly the same as we did last season against teams that finished with 9 or fewer wins.

The only difference to me thus far is that we've had three of those teams to start the season whereas last season we started with two games against 10+ win playoff teams. Even then, we played Minnesota in week 3 and beat them 27-6 via a thorough domination.

My point, is that I'm presently not expecting anything different once we play teams that will end up being 10+ win playoff teams, I'm simply not seeing any reasons as to why that will happen yet.

BTW, if we get rid of Allen's 4th quarter of play that came courteous of a pure-luck development of both Moseley and McClendan going out in the 4th Q of that game, here are Allen's combined stats for the other 11 Qs of play;

58 of 93 for 648, (62.4%), 2 TDs, 3 INTs, 6.97 YPA, 5 sacks, 2 Lost Fumbles, 5 total TOs, and a rating of 76.8, 2.2 TD%, 3.2 INT%.

That's not good, it's very bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Wings & Bleu View Post
    BTW, if we get rid of Allen's 4th quarter of play that came courteous of a pure-luck development of both Moseley and McClendan going out in the 4th Q of that game, here are Allen's combined stats for the other 11 Qs of play;

58 of 93 for 648, (62.4%), 2 TDs, 3 INTs, 6.97 YPA, 5 sacks, 2 Lost Fumbles, 5 total TOs, and a rating of 76.8, 2.2 TD%, 3.2 INT%.

That's not good, it's very bad.
    And what are his stats if you take away the first half of the season opener?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast