Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 84
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    30,920
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadyOne View Post
    Interesting stat..

    Doncic shot almost identical % to DSJ last year. Took 7 3s a game. Shot more overall..

    Havenít seen anyone bashing Luka for not being able to shoot, taking bad shots, or chucking
    there are a lot of young players that shoot in the low 30's from 3. I think the bigger issue with DSJR is he shoots poorly from just about everywhere on the court except when he's dunking, including free throws which is not a good sign.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    30,920
    DSJR had the lowest TS% of any starting PG last year, there's definitely reason for concern, but there's definitely reason for optimism also.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    7,409
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    there are a lot of young players that shoot in the low 30's from 3. I think the bigger issue with DSJR is he shoots poorly from just about everywhere on the court except when he's dunking, including free throws which is not a good sign.
    So is DSJ not young? That doesnít apply to him?

    And so what, his game is getting inside. He does it well. Doesnít everyone here hate guys that live in the midrange? Isnt that the least efficient shot in the league? Letís see what he looks like this year, with a hopefully improved shot. That, and more room to operate/penetrate, with some scorers/shooters around him that have to be respected

  4. #34
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    45,615
    Quote Originally Posted by Bivory View Post
    I'm not sure how anyone who's watched the Knicks for 10 years could say Paytons signing wasn't good especially when they were dying to have Rubio for the last 10 yrs.

    And Still, DS's ability to lead and be a quality floor general has been questioned his entire career. This is NOT all from a pick up game video. These were the same knocks on him in college, at Dallas, and it still exists today.

    You keep saying lets let it play out but this is his 3rd yr and if not now, then when? You bash Knox every chance you get even though he's still a kid so lets see the same type of eval of DSjr.
    Only in Knicks land are you "what you'll ever be at age 24". That's the hope i have for DS is time is on his side. That's the age Michael Jordan learned how to shoot.

    Becoming a floor general is just different. It's not really a learned skill. Everyone will see how controlled the offense will look under Payton and how unorganized it looked under DS. A good PG never feels rushed or is sped up by the defense.
    Of course it looks more controlled under Payton because his Offensive skill set has not been good. He has more a slow down set up the offense mentality which hasn't correlated to winning bb yet for his career, hence all the movement. He is a good player for the right roster but he is what he is.


    As far as Knox, you would need to reply to my posts about bashing Knox, in fact I'm a fan, but nothing is stretch saying he is lazy, and not motivated on the court and his defense is miserable. He shot poorly last year but I always have said that will improve big time. Far from trashing Knox lol.......just your take.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    30,920
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadyOne View Post
    So is DSJ not young? That doesnít apply to him?

    And so what, his game is getting inside. He does it well. Doesnít everyone here hate guys that live in the midrange? Isnt that the least efficient shot in the league? Letís see what he looks like this year, with a hopefully improved shot. That, and more room to operate/penetrate, with some scorers/shooters around him that have to be respected
    huh? i'm saying shooting low 30's from 3 isn't a big deal for any young player, the bigger issue is his shooting overall from everywhere.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    9,469
    Quote Originally Posted by still a fan View Post
    Of course it looks more controlled under Payton because his Offensive skill set has not been good. He has more a slow down set up the offense mentality which hasn't correlated to winning bb yet for his career, hence all the movement. He is a good player for the right roster but he is what he is.


    As far as Knox, you would need to reply to my posts about bashing Knox, in fact I'm a fan, but nothing is stretch saying he is lazy, and not motivated on the court and his defense is miserable. He shot poorly last year but I always have said that will improve big time. Far from trashing Knox lol.......just your take.
    That's where you're absolutely bashing him. Saying he's unmotivated and lazy is f'n ridiculous. If that's not bashing, WHAT IS? These aren't facts. They're your ridiculous opinion.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    7,409
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    huh? i'm saying shooting low 30's from 3 isn't a big deal for any young player, the bigger issue is his shooting overall from everywhere.
    First year he was about 70% from the line, around the same as Luka. And like I said, who cares about midrange. Worst shot to take. If heís getting inside, why care about a 12 footer?

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    30,920
    Hahn was saying DSJR kinda gave up on the season last year because he felt Carlise gave up on him. and that when he came to NY he was out of shape and could not keep pace.

    So hopefully he comes back next year in much better shape and motivated.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    7,409
    Quote Originally Posted by Bivory View Post
    That's where you're absolutely bashing him. Saying he's unmotivated and lazy is f'n ridiculous. If that's not bashing, WHAT IS? These aren't facts. They're your ridiculous opinion.
    Similar to your constant assessments of DSJ having mental/attitude issues

    Since heís been here, havenít seen that

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    9,469
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    Hahn was saying DSJR kinda gave up on the season last year because he felt Carlise gave up on him. and that when he came to NY he was out of shape and could not keep pace.

    So hopefully he comes back next year in much better shape and motivated.
    That says a lot to me about DSjr's mental. he did't go back to the drawing board and hit the gym. He starting freakin eating donuts...jk What guy works his whole life to get to that stage and lets one coach deter him from working hard? MENTAL. I have hopes like everyone else but these are all yellow flags.

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    9,469
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadyOne View Post
    Similar to your constant assessments of DSJ having mental/attitude issues

    Since heís been here, havenít seen that
    News flash, DSjr's career didn't begin 30 games ago. Here's an article of DSjr flat out ignoring play calls by Carlisle.

    https://hoopshype.com/2019/01/18/dal...-trade-rumors/

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    30,920
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadyOne View Post
    First year he was about 70% from the line, around the same as Luka. And like I said, who cares about midrange. Worst shot to take. If heís getting inside, why care about a 12 footer?
    its not just mid range, he shoots poorly from 3-10 feet, from midrange, on long 2's, on 3's and at the FT line. Let's not minimize it, he's been a horrible shooter his first 2 seasons. most PG's shoot close to 80% at the FT line, bragging that he once shot 69% isn't exactly a positive.

    THere's a reason he had the lowest TS% of any starting PG in the NBA last year, he was horribly inefficient.

    Like I said there;s definitely reasons for concern with him, but yea there's hope that he improves. he's young and incredibly gifted physically.

    it's not about the mid range being inefficient... it's about him becoming a better shooter overall, period. when defenses crowd you, you have to be able to step in and shoot a midrange.

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    7,409
    Quote Originally Posted by Bivory View Post
    News flash, DSjr's career didn't begin 30 games ago.
    Obviously

    Donít remember any issues in year one from him. Last year there was something going on in Dallas. But DSJ would hardly be the first player that had issues with Carlisle. Do we know whoís fault it is? If thatís what we are going on, I guess a large percentage of players in the league have attitude/mental issues

    Only difference is that the Dallas situation went a bit more public. Also saw several times where Luka was out there pouting, or being a brat as well

    Just saying, if people like a player, they tend to give them a pass, where other guys donít get that benefit.
    Last edited by ShadyOne; 09-22-2019 at 09:40 AM.

  14. #44
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    45,615
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    there are a lot of young players that shoot in the low 30's from 3. I think the bigger issue with DSJR is he shoots poorly from just about everywhere on the court except when he's dunking, including free throws which is not a good sign.
    Let's be clear on this post he played 21 games as a Knick and 5 hurt. He 101 games with Dallas.

    In 101 games he shot 70% from the FT line, in 21 games he shot 57%, which one do you really want to judge him on?

    He took so little FT shots if he simply made just a half a FT more per game he shoots 71% just like his Dallas 101 game career.

    Anyone can see his hitch is gone, which it was never there in college and with Dallas, he obviously with the trade was trying to hard and the FT's were mental, and that is what FT shooting is mental.

    I would take any bet right now that DSJ shoots over 70% from the FT line this season and I'd bet a lot on that.

    To label a player after a trade on 73 total shots vs his tenure in Dallas taking exactly 273 shots 200 shots more is just wrong and obvious.

    Let me add to his 273 FT's with Dallas in college he shot 200 FT's guess what %? you got it 72% at age 18.

    In college he shot 37% from three and had 18.1 and 6.2 assists per game.

    He's 21, let him evolve to exactly what the Knicks truly need a PG that can become really good on a Rookie contract, like the Nets that becomes huge and he is still one year ahead of Russell's jump year. So even if he don't break out all the way there is still next year, all we need to see is a jump in his game.
    Last edited by still a fan; 09-22-2019 at 09:43 AM.

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    9,469
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadyOne View Post
    Obviously

    Donít remember any issues in year one from him. Last year there was something going on in Dallas. But DSJ would hardly be the first player that had issues with Carlisle. Do we know whoís fault it is? If thatís what we are going on, I guess a large percentage of players in the league have attitude/mental issues

    Only difference is that the Dallas situation went a bit more public. Also saw several times where Luka was out there pouting, or being a brat as well
    Like I said, these aren't just my thoughts....Here's a scout coming out of college on DSjr:

    Scout No. 4: "His motor toward the end of the season was shaky. He didn't sustain the grit that he came into college with. His team wasn't good, and it looked like he checked out at a certain point."

    Back in November, one scout referred to Smith as more "quiet and moody" relative to other point guards. Nobody seems to have any concerns about his ability; rather, the intangibles have raised the most red flags.

    And Another Scout: "Is he going to be revved up for those games like the elite players? Can he lead his team through the spells like elite players do? Or is he going to continue to be known as an inconsistent, bright-lights player? Those are questions that need to be answered."

    Looks like everyone knows and sees the talent DSjr has. All of his questions marks are about his mental capability to stay consistently engaged for an entire NBA season.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •