Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    its not just mid range, he shoots poorly from 3-10 feet, from midrange, on long 2's, on 3's and at the FT line. Let's not minimize it, he's been a horrible shooter his first 2 seasons. most PG's shoot close to 80% at the FT line, bragging that he once shot 69% isn't exactly a positive.

THere's a reason he had the lowest TS% of any starting PG in the NBA last year, he was horribly inefficient.

Like I said there;s definitely reasons for concern with him, but yea there's hope that he improves. he's young and incredibly gifted physically.

it's not about the mid range being inefficient... it's about him becoming a better shooter overall, period. when defenses crowd you, you have to be able to step in and shoot a midrange.
    The discussion can go both ways. I think thereís some ďrightĒ in both sides. Letís see how he looks this year. Iím still saying I think we will see a nice improvement. Iíll take the L if that doesnít prove right lol

Quote Originally Posted by ShadyOne View Post
    The discussion can go both ways. I think thereís some ďrightĒ in both sides. Letís see how he looks this year. Iím still saying I think we will see a nice improvement. Iíll take the L if that doesnít prove right lol
    i think we will as well.

I mean I have hopes for Knox also, but I'm not going to act like he was good last year on either end.

I have hope for DSJR, Frank & Knox, but the reality is all of them were horrible offensive players last year.

Quote Originally Posted by still a fan View Post
    Let's be clear on this post he played 21 games as a Knick and 5 hurt. He 101 games with Dallas.

In 101 games he shot 70% from the FT line, in 21 games he shot 57%, which one do you really want to judge him on?

He took so little FT shots if he simply made just a half a FT more per game he shoots 71% just like his Dallas 101 game career.

Anyone can see his hitch is gone, which it was never there in college and with Dallas, he obviously with the trade was trying to hard and the FT's were mental, and that is what FT shooting is mental.

I would take any bet right now that DSJ shoots over 70% from the FT line this season and I'd bet a lot on that.

To label a player after a trade on 73 total shots vs his tenure in Dallas taking exactly 273 shots 200 shots more is just wrong and obvious.

Let me add to his 273 FT's with Dallas in college he shot 200 FT's guess what %? you got it 72% at age 18.

In college he shot 37% from three and had 18.1 and 6.2 assists per game.

He's 21, let him evolve to exactly what the Knicks truly need a PG that can become really good on a Rookie contract, like the Nets that becomes huge and he is still one year ahead of Russell's jump year. So even if he don't break out all the way there is still next year, all we need to see is a jump in his game.
    like i said, FT % isn't the only worry. but he's been bad, 66.8% for his career for a PG is atrocious, we don't have to sugar coat it. that doesn't mean he can't improve.

Quote Originally Posted by Bivory View Post
    Like I said, these aren't just my thoughts....Here's a scout coming out of college on DSjr:

Scout No. 4: "His motor toward the end of the season was shaky. He didn't sustain the grit that he came into college with. His team wasn't good, and it looked like he checked out at a certain point."

Back in November, one scout referred to Smith as more "quiet and moody" relative to other point guards. Nobody seems to have any concerns about his ability; rather, the intangibles have raised the most red flags.

And Another Scout: "Is he going to be revved up for those games like the elite players? Can he lead his team through the spells like elite players do? Or is he going to continue to be known as an inconsistent, bright-lights player? Those are questions that need to be answered."

Looks like everyone knows and sees the talent DSjr has. All of his questions marks are about his mental capability to stay consistently engaged for an entire NBA season.
    I get it..

But I donít agree with those kinds of assessments. Every guy is different. Not everyone is the rah-rah, upbeat guy. Or the in your face guy. Or the locker room speech guy. What about DLo, all of a sudden no one talks about him having issues, right?

Well see. This is a big rebound year for him,

Like I said, these aren't just my thoughts....Here's a scout coming out of college on DSjr:

Scout No. 4: "His motor toward the end of the season was shaky. He didn't sustain the grit that he came into college with. His team wasn't good, and it looked like he checked out at a certain point."

Back in November, one scout referred to Smith as more "quiet and moody" relative to other point guards. Nobody seems to have any concerns about his ability; rather, the intangibles have raised the most red flags.

And Another Scout: "Is he going to be revved up for those games like the elite players? Can he lead his team through the spells like elite players do? Or is he going to continue to be known as an inconsistent, bright-lights player? Those are questions that need to be answered."

Looks like everyone knows and sees the talent DSjr has. All of his questions marks are about his mental capability to stay consistently engaged for an entire NBA season.
    yea i'll go there, who had even more alarming question marks coming out of college at the same age? Who was known for not caring, not diving on balls, being lazy, lack of motivation, etc etc etc.........yet you are 100% in his corner? Very weird.

Read what you posted, for an 18 year old it's easy to get down at moments when your team is not that good. That is not rare.

He's shown enough in his two years in the NBA to put that to bed.

i think we will as well.

I mean I have hopes for Knox also, but I'm not going to act like he was good last year on either end.

I have hope for DSJR, Frank & Knox, but the reality is all of them were horrible offensive players last year.

Fully agree and looking at the age of all three, there is plenty of hope. And I'll include Mitch, Iggy and RJ in these conversations because if RJ doesn't come out a stud he will be looked at the same way.

i think we will as well.

Thank you. I donít why poster on here just canít admit things like this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

I'm not sure I've seen a single poster say Knox was good, DSjr was good, and certainly not Frank, was good last yr. What I have seen was posters say was that they've seen enough to know that there's a lot of potential there and the flashes were plentiful enough to have a lot of high hopes and positive feelings about them moving forward, especially considering their age.

Is there really an argument to be had with every statement?

I'm not sure I've seen a single poster say Knox was good, DSjr was good, and certainly not Frank, was good last yr. What I have seen was posters say was that they've seen enough to know that there's a lot of potential there and the flashes were plentiful enough to have a lot of high hopes and positive feelings about them moving forward, especially considering their age.

Is there really an argument to be had with every statement?
    comparing him to Doncic who is clearly better at shooting from everwhere and just better at everything, merely on the 3pt% is what i was replying to. or trying to make it seem like he was only a bad FT shooter in NY.

He's been awful, it's ok... it is what it is. He should improve, but lets not try to sugarcoat it.

DS mental is in question
    DS shot selection in question
    DS shot in general in question
    DS floor general capabilities in question,

Yeah sounds pretty wild but all true....
    No the fact that youíre getting that from highlights of pickup games is wild. Youíre literally using him complaining about a foul call. Between this and using two games of summer league, I donít know whatís worse.

Quote Originally Posted by smood999 View Post
    No the fact that youíre getting that from highlights of pickup games is wild. Youíre literally using him complaining about a foul call. Between this and using two games of summer league, I donít know whatís worse.
    Maybe you stopped reading but I quoted pro scouts saying the same thing. DSjr shows very little mental toughness and its obvious from watching his pro and college career and watching his reaction to getting killed in pick-up games.

This stuff is all crazy honestly

At this point, letís just not discuss any players until the season starts

comparing him to Doncic who is clearly better at shooting from everwhere and just better at everything, merely on the 3pt% is what i was replying to. or trying to make it seem like he was only a bad FT shooter in NY.

He's been awful, it's ok... it is what it is. He should improve, but lets not try to sugarcoat it.

I only brought up Doncic, as his FG% and 3pt% were identical to DSJs, yet no one mentions Doncic not being a very good shooter, right?

Or that Doncic shoots more 3s than anything else, and heís not good from there, right? So heís not a chucker?

DSJ is good at penetrating, and finishing, so thatís what he wants to do. Whatís the issue? We donít always beg for someone to break down defenses? Even marginal improvement in his outside shot will be trouble for the other team.
    Last edited by ShadyOne; 09-22-2019 at 12:05 PM.

Maybe you stopped reading but I quoted pro scouts saying the same thing. DSjr shows very little mental toughness and its obvious from watching his pro and college career and watching his reaction to getting killed in pick-up games.
    Up to this point, I'd say I agree w this. You just don't see that aggressive nature in him, ever.

Even though it's just a pick up game, you can see trae who is built like a string bean, going at dsj like hes the smaller less athletic man. Trae is straight up going at him, and dsj just acting like it's not happening.

One guy on that court is trying to dominate the other, while the other guy isn't doing anything about it.

That dog in dsj just isn't there yet.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadyOne View Post
    I only brought up Doncic, as his FG% and 3pt% were identical to DSJs, yet no one mentions Doncic not being a very good shooter, right?

Or that Doncic shoots more 3s than anything else, and heís not good from there, right? So heís not a chucker?

DSJ is good at penetrating, and finishing, so thatís what he wants to do. Whatís the issue? We donít always beg for someone to break down defenses? Even marginal improvement in his outside shot will be trouble for the other team.
    Doncic shoots more 3s because hes really good at it.

Dsj shoots less because he sucks is at it.

If you asked dsj to shoot the kind of 3s that donnie does with that kind of volume his % would plummet.

You can't judge based purely off % stats. Common sense tells everyone in the world donnie is a far better shooter than dsj, the games you guys play with stats are just ridiculous.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast