Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Dennis Smith Jr, Projection Thread

Too much natural talent and apparently putting the work in for him not to be projected as taking a giant leap this season, I'm looking forward to seeing this unfold:

Knicks' Dennis Smith Jr. says helping RJ Barrett win Rookie of the Year is one of his season goals

Smith Jr. spoke about a number of Knicks topics in a recent interview

By Ian Begley | Sep 18 | 5:52PM

Ian Begley, SNY.tv

Dennis Smith Jr. has several goals coming into his second season with the Knicks. One of them? To help R.J. Barrett win Rookie of the Year.

"I'm treating that as one of my focal points just to help him win Rookie of the Year. And whatever I can do, I'm willing to do it," Smith Jr. said in an interview with Chris Henderson. "It's important for us and it's important for our team and it's important for our morale moving forward, so I think it would be major if he won that."

Barrett's development is certainly a key for the Knicks this season. But Smith Jr.'s is as well. The point guard, who came to New York in the trade of Kristaps Porzingis last season, said in the interview with Henderson that this season is an important one for him.

"I feel like I've got something to prove, chip on my shoulder still. So I've just been working, man," Smith Jr. said of his approach this offseason. "I try to attack every day and look at it as if I didn't leave anything on the table, I got the most out of every day. That's how I've been attacking each day this summer and so far it's been paying off for me so I'm going to keep that going, bring it in to training camp and be a leader. Lead by example, earn my respect with these guys and then carry that into the season."

Smith Jr. has been working extensively on his shot this season. He'll compete with Elfrid Payton in training camp for the starting point guard role. In addition to Knicks topics, Smith Jr. talked sneakers, music and his time with the Mavericks in the interview with Henderson, which was published on YouTube.

Here are Smith Jr.'s thoughts on a few other Knicks subjects:

On the Knicks' identity: "For our team, it's just being in elite condition. We want to be able to be scrappy on both ends of the court, especially on the defensive end. We know offense is going to take care of itself. We've got some good guys. Julius Randle is better than what a lot of people think. Marcus Morris is better than what a lot of people think as well. So I know what we have to do on the offensive end, but defense is really where we have to hang our hat this year. We've got the toughness for it, especially with Mitch (Robinson), one of the best shot blockers in the league, already, if not the best. We've got to hang our hat on that end and everything else will take care of itself. And if we get in elite shape, that will be easy to do play after play after play. We've got to keep that up."

Defense hasn't been a strong suit for New York in recent seasons. They finished last year ranked 22nd in defensive efficiency. Their 2019-20 roster isn't brimming with players who have a strong defensive track record. So it will be interesting to see how things come together on that end of the ball. As Smith Jr. notes, they have plenty of talent on offense. So how they perform on defense could go a long way in determining how much success they have this season.

Smith Jr. on David Fizdale: "You interact with all the coaches, and it's not shade to any other coach, but I think Fizdale is probably the best guy in the whole business as far as being a real, genuine dude. If you ever speak to him he'll speak to you like he's talking to one of the other coaches. He's just that real. Me and him, we talk a lot and he tells me about the things I need to do, what he needs from me. And I try to meet every expectation he sets for me, if not exceed it. So we've got a really good relationship right now."

I've come around a bit on DSJR, him becoming a legit starter would lesson the blow of the KP trade a bit. It's going to come down to his shot though, he's an offensive player and so he has to be good on offense to put it simply. He needs to get his TS% to at least 53% next year.

I do have a good feeling about Smith this yr. I think he might be on the verge of the breakout, even if it takes another season to fully get there.

Mostly comes down to his shot. Think he shot 30% from 3 last season? Might be off on that but itís around there. Which is bad. Canít remember what his free throw % was which can be a good indicator.

Heís gotta get around 36% from 3 on decent volume. Also feel like Iím the only one who seems to notice this about his game but he floats too much. He needs to consistently probe.

The talent, athleticism, skillsets are there. He just has to put it together - hopefully that happens in a big way this season bc it could be a game changer for us if it does.

I see DSJ taking a big step forward this year

Combination of his offseason work, and improved talent around him. Heís got all the talent needed to be at least a good starter. Not sure if his overall numbers will take a jump, depending on his use/role alongside the other guards, but I think there will be a noticeable improvement regardless..

Hearts was right dsj doesn't have the Derek Rose mentality that made him an mvps and one of the most aggressive scorers in the game during his prime.

How the first thing you say is that your goal is to make RJ rookie of the year? He already mentally taking the backseat to a rook.

DsJ just doesn't have that aggressive nature in him. At least not yet.

Hopefully he starts to understand how profoundly talented he is, and uses his natural gifts to go into attack mode aka derek rose.

But right now I still don't see it in him, improved jumper or not, he needs that mentality that guys like rose or Westbrook have. Even RJ got that dog in him more than dsj, he ain't even played in the nba yet.

I actually see it as more of an intermittent loss of focus rather than lack of aggression.

First thing is you want 36% and he was shooting poorly but in Dallas shot .344 so he wasn't even far off that, we want to gauge 21 games with the KNicks where he played 4 hurt and after a trade be my guess, but that isn't fair.

He shot good in college and improved from rookie season to year two. So why not give him the benefit of the doubt when another is and regressed from his rookie season, that makes no sense?

To the post about DSJ saying he will help RJ become rookie of the year, wow are you off, as the PG he is stepping up and saying hey I'm going to help you and do everything in my power to put you in the best scoring positions and get you easier baskets rather than having to be Melo type player and work every possession?

His comments are team oriented not I'm getting mine and being aggressive only for myself, talk about reading into something totally wrong.

LOL the posts when we traded for him and even before was about DSJ only wanted his and being to aggressive now he's not aggressive enough?

DSJ is going to be just fine and his comments were spot on, bravo.....

Quote Originally Posted by TakeAnotherL View Post
    Hearts was right dsj doesn't have the Derek Rose mentality that made him an mvps and one of the most aggressive scorers in the game during his prime.

How the first thing you say is that your goal is to make RJ rookie of the year? He already mentally taking the backseat to a rook.

DsJ just doesn't have that aggressive nature in him. At least not yet.

Hopefully he starts to understand how profoundly talented he is, and uses his natural gifts to go into attack mode aka derek rose.

But right now I still don't see it in him, improved jumper or not, he needs that mentality that guys like rose or Westbrook have. Even RJ got that dog in him more than dsj, he ain't even played in the nba yet.
    Wasnít the knock on him that he was a selfish, get mine first kind of guy? Didnít want to defer? Not a ďfloor generalĒ?

Now heís out there talking about team, trying to be a leader, and thatís a negative?

Dennis Smith vs Trae Young

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIV4w6zJQO8

Quote Originally Posted by Bivory View Post
    DSJ having some fun, the end was hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHciECvkZmI

Pippen, "everyone is dunking on Porzingis"

Quote Originally Posted by still a fan View Post
    DSJ having some fun, the end was hilarious.
    DS was getting killed. Tell you that. And you get an inside look at his "mental" when he realizes Trae is eating his lunch and starts making ridic foul calls on 35ft fallaway jump shots. Which leads me to DS projection.

Sorry, I don't see this guy turning the corner mentally on what it takes to be a floor general. His shot selection will still be questionable and i wonder if he'll be able to bring it nightly. I wanted to draft him and Mitchell over Frank but there's something missing from his game and it's not just the ability to make a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Bivory View Post
    DS was getting killed. Tell you that. And you get an inside look at his "mental" when he realizes Trae is eating his lunch and starts making ridic foul calls on 35ft fallaway jump shots. Which leads me to DS projection.

Sorry, I don't see this guy turning the corner mentally on what it takes to be a floor general. His shot selection will still be questionable and i wonder if he'll be able to bring it nightly. I wanted to draft him and Mitchell over Frank but there's something missing from his game and it's not just the ability to make a shot.
    Dont have time to watch this right now but Iím guessing itís what Iíve been pointing to, which to me is heís not always dialed in, seems to lose focus (specifically to me on O where he tends to float too much). My concern is itís an instinct/habitual thing and may be difficult to correct. But weíll see. His athleticism and burst is off the charts but thatís only one part of the equation.

Trae is gonna be a 25/7/5 guy when he fills out. DSJR, I'll be happy if we can just get a legit starting PG out of him, and not a starting PG b/c we suck and have no one else type, like a LEGIT, could start on most teams starting PG.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast