Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Thread: Mookie Betts

Mookie Betts

What would you give up considering the red sox will take offers for him? how much contract wise would you be willing to give him?

Considering that he's has 1 year left, doesn't seem interested in a long term extension, is coming off a down year (realitivly speaking) and should break arbitration records....
    Probably one Elite prospects (top 25 range) a good prospect (top 75 range) and Joc Pederson.

That would probably look something like (C)Keibert Ruiz, and either Josiah Grey(P) or Jeter Downs(MIF)
    Last edited by ciaban2.0; 09-20-2019 at 11:29 PM.

I would let somebody else make that trade. His contract is going to be a top three in baseball. Chances are who ever trades for him will have him for one year.
    "Just because the path is well beaten. That doesn't mean it's the right way to go"

Is he having a “down year” or was 2018 just an outlier? Looking at his career last year stands out. This year he’s pretty much in line with the other seasons in his career.

NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Noah Syndergaard and Edwin Diaz for Betts and a contract extension window.

Quote Originally Posted by JackB View Post
    I would let somebody else make that trade. His contract is going to be a top three in baseball. Chances are who ever trades for him will have him for one year.
    Yeah, he's definitely testing the market. So any team trading for him has to realize it's for one season.

If it's an off-season trade and the team trading for him will get the draft pick back for the QO, the price will still be pretty high. If a rental of Manny Machado netted a top 75 prospect, a starter with #3 potential and a few other decent prospects, a year of Betts has to net one elite level prospect, a 1-2 WAR MLB player, with the rest of the package dealer choice, meaning another quality prospect, or a volume selection.

I agree with above but MM plays a much tougher position in my opinion. And also has had more years of quality stats. I love Mookie but 2-3 years still doesn't equal MM even though Mookie is considered the better player .If you are starting a team do you start it with a third baseman/ shortstop or an outfielder ?
    "Just because the path is well beaten. That doesn't mean it's the right way to go"

Quote Originally Posted by JackB View Post
    I agree with above but MM plays a much tougher position in my opinion. And also has had more years of quality stats. I love Mookie but 2-3 years still doesn't equal MM even though Mookie is considered the better player .If you are starting a team do you start it with a third baseman/ shortstop or an outfielder ?
    The better player

Mookie has about 10 more fwar in just the last 5 seasons. Hes in another tier from Machado.

Quote Originally Posted by WOwolfOL View Post
    The better player

Mookie has about 10 more fwar in just the last 5 seasons. Hes in another tier from Machado.
    Manny's defense has trended down as he's gotten older and added more bulk. Betts has maintained elite level defense per advanced metrics for years, no matter what stat is used. That, and I'm sure Manny's numbers were down this year due to the change to playing half of his games in Petco versus OPACY.

Like I said, the Manny deal is a good barometer, but Betts is definitely getting more at this point. But it still won't be an organization emptying deal.

A full year of Betts is clearly worth more than just a rental of Manny...but unlike the Orioles, the RedSox actually want/expect to compete next year. And competing will be much harder without the best player in baseball (not named Trout)