Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Ned Yost retiring at season's end & Mike Matheny expected to take over

I feel for Royals fans getting Matheny.

Dude didn't learn a single thing in 6 years managing for the Cards.

The mistakes he made in 2012, he continued to make in 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post

common sentiment among fans for all managers.

at the end of the day better players make for better managers bc they perform when called upon and put managers in fewer situations where moved can be questioned. managers are always in a lose/lose situation. when players perform fans credit players. when players fail fans blame the mgr. but the first responsibility for success or failure is always on the players. And then there is luck, good and bad.

managers also manage beyond analytics based upon situations, observations, and conversations never seen or heard by fans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, at least fails while daring greatly. -- Teddy Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    common sentiment among fans for all managers.
    It is.

Matheny was great with players (for the most part, Fowler wouldn't agree, but the rest would).

He had his guys, and he'd stick with them regardless of failures.

He was a little too loyal to some guys, and would overuse his favorite toys. But that's more just his style, rather than a problem with him.

But Matheny was a rookie manager who hadn't managed at any other level ever. The idea that everyone believed was he would make mistakes his first year or two, but he would clean them up as he became more experienced.

He didn't. He continued to make the same in game decisions and he became very easy for opponent managers to out manage.

So yes, I agree with your assertion, but I think since Matheny was a rookie manager, we all thought there was upside.

at the end of the day better players make for better managers bc they perform when called upon and put managers in fewer situations where moved can be questioned. managers are always in a lose/lose situation. when players perform fans credit players. when players fail fans blame the mgr. but the first responsibility for success or failure is always on the players. And then there is luck, good and bad.
    I actually assess a manager by how they use their top players in higher leverage situations, rather than how the players actually performed.

Schildt for example, has managed to have his bullpen pull out several nice wins lately, but he's been consistently using the wrong guys in the wrong situations, it just hasn't backfired. He continues to not use Brebbia (as an example) in any high leverage situations, despite him being one of our better relievers, and goes to guys like Webb, who can't get righties out, and he's doing it in high leverage situations with Brebbia available in the pen. Just an example, but it keeps happening.

My point is, Webb has actually been successful a lot in these situations, but he shouldn't be expected to be better than Brebbia in those same situations long term. But, it has worked out for Schildt and nobody is left questioning his decision because the outcome was the best one possible.

But yes, also, managers have more information than we do sitting at home.

Bingo

Given where the team is on the rebuilding curve, he has time to learn.

Out of respect for them winning their first title in 30 yrs under him, does anyone else believe its a forced retirement?

Quote Originally Posted by thefeckcampaign View Post
    Out of respect for them winning their first title in 30 yrs under him, does anyone else believe its a forced retirement?
    With new ownership coming on board? I'm honestly not sure. They are planning to extend Dayton Moore, that much has been leaked, so obviously if it's a forced retirement, it would be coming from him.

Quote Originally Posted by ciaban2.0 View Post
    Given where the team is on the rebuilding curve, he has time to learn.
    I wouldn't hold out much hope considering nothing changed over his 6 years here.