Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 19 of 83 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ivyboys View Post
    I guess Iím one of those arrogant fans. Look at the teams and tell me honestly who you would want on your team.

C Contreras > Grandal (itís close)
    1b Rizzo > Thames and anybody else
    2b Zobrist < Hiura
    3b Bryant > Moose
    SS Baez > Arcia
    LF Schwarber > Braun
    CF Heyward > Cain
    RF Castellanos < Yelich

The Cubs are better in 6 of 8 positions. Our bullpen has a 3.88 ERA compared to the Brewers 4.46. Starters for the Cubs have a 4.09 ERA compared to their 4.58 ERA. Our run differential is +114 to their -21.

We are a better team. How we are behind them, I donít know. Maybe they win more 1 run games. Maybe we were hurt from the pen blowing a bunch of 9th inning leads early this season. It could be a number of reasons, but saying they are a better team is just wrong IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I posted this exact same thing without spelling out each name.

It's almost hard to believe that the two teams are even close in the standings. Their pythag records (totally meaningless) show the Cubs with a 14 game lead on them. Milwaukee is the only team in baseball that has given up more run than they've scored, and is over .500. And it's 13 games over .500!!

We could point to a couple of things.

One run games
    Cubs 19-24
    Mil 26-16

>.500 teams
    Cubs 37-41
    Mil 48-40

We can call it smoke and mirrors if we want, but the fact is, we have better players, but they have the better team. Obviously not by much, but this is 2 consecutive years that they are likely going to have a better record. Something has to be said for that.

Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    I posted this exact same thing without spelling out each name.

It's almost hard to believe that the two teams are even close in the standings. Their pythag records (totally meaningless) show the Cubs with a 14 game lead on them. Milwaukee is the only team in baseball that has given up more run than they've scored, and is over .500. And it's 13 games over .500!!

We could point to a couple of things.

One run games
    Cubs 19-24
    Mil 26-16

>.500 teams
    Cubs 37-41
    Mil 48-40

We can call it smoke and mirrors if we want, but the fact is, we have better players, but they have the better team. Obviously not by much, but this is 2 consecutive years that they are likely going to have a better record. Something has to be said for that.
    To have a -21 run differential and be 13 games over is really insane and the schedule at the end of the season definitely plays in their favorite. Big picture I know the schedule all evens out and it just reiterates that every game matters throughout the season. You have to win the series you are supposed to win, but again it helps to have an easy final few weeks if you do indeed need to make up ground.

For me, I canít remember exactly because itís been a looong season, but I know our pen was the cause for a lot of loses early this season. You canít say that had our pen been then what it is now that we would have won all of those games that we blew saves in early, but you have to imagine thereís a good amount that we could have locked down had we been pitching as good as we are now. Maybe we could have been 5 or so games better? Itís hard to say.

Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    I stay away from in game posting as much as possible, so if this was said already I apologize for repeating it. But the second Wong came out of the game I said that will eventually benefit the Cardinals. Either his replacement will make a great play or get the winning hit. That just seems to happen with the Cardinals. So what happens? Edelman, who replaces him at 2nd makes a diving stop to get an out in the 9th and then Carpenter homers. I know Wong is GG caliber at 2nd. He also probably makes the play. But for a change it would have been nice if losing a guy actually hurt the Cardinals and that ball went through. Not sure if everything stays the same with Hoerner, but if it did, his ball would have won the game. Just sucks to lose. I would say we are done for the year unless my some crazy ďbaseball miracleĒ we take the next 3. And I doubt that happens.
    Hahahahaha.........I said the same thing to my buddy! "Somehow, somewhere, this is going to end up being a positive thing for the Cardinals."

That's just who they are. The old pixie dust theory.

The 2019 Cubs are a good example of why games are played on the field instead through Pythag theories and calculators. Metrics donít tell the whole story.

Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    The 2019 Cubs are a good example of why games are played on the field instead through Pythag theories and calculators. Metrics donít tell the whole story.
    Agree...

Sometimes the eyes dont lie

Watch your mouth!!

Metrics before the season: The Cubs look like a mediocre to slightly above average team.

Fans: The Cubs should be a juggernaut.

Metrics now: This team performs like they are a little above average.

Results - 86-89ish win team

Fans: Ha, the metrics are wrong. Nerds.

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    No one on this board could. Jack Flaherty is a ****ing great pitcher. We'd all be reduced to rubble.
    He no hitted a lot of the teams from our area. I highly doubt anyone in here could hit him back then or now.

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    Metrics before the season: The Cubs look like a mediocre to slightly above average team.

Fans: The Cubs should be a juggernaut.

Metrics now: This team performs like they are a little above average.

Results - 86-89ish win team

Fans: Ha, the metrics are wrong. Nerds.
    Yep. Those damn metrics.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Obviously, our best chance to get in the WC play in game is to overtake Washington. Looking at their schedule after Miami, it could very well happen. We just have to stop losing important games.

I donít think Theo is purely analytically driven. He tries to mix the human side of things in. I mean he hired Joe Maddon. David Ross was brought in for more than on the field reasons. The only move he made this offseason was bringing in Daniel Descalso to spread his leadership all over.
    On the other hand, plenty of fans look at, and only at the metrics. Trying to show how smart they are and belittle other in arguments. Then we all look at the standings after six months...
    Last edited by Cubboy; 09-20-2019 at 09:34 AM.

Well Damn. That would have been a nice win to start the series. I think RCAL mentioned it, but Edman really stole that game for them. If Heyward's hit gets thru, Nico probably gets the guy in from third with less than 2 outs.

One other thing. Willy had a really bad game. He had the bobbled ball from Schwarber. If he catches that cleanly and gets the out, the game stays at 2-1. Then in the 7th, he couldn't get the guy in from 3 with less than 2 outs. He did get lucky in the 9th with the infield single, but he was swinging at junk that whole AB. I hope he redeems himself in this series.

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    Yep. Those damn metrics.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Actually bdawk should have said the Brewers are an example of why they play the game and metrics are not everything. As several have pointed out, the Cubs are pretty much what the metrics say they should be. The Brewers, OTOH, are outplaying their projections.

Is Mills starting today because Hamels is hurt?

Page 19 of 83 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969 ... LastLast