Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 18 of 83 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast
Results 256 to 270 of 1244
  1. #256
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    1,906
    Quote Originally Posted by TN-cub35 View Post
    Come on man do you really think the cubs will win the next 3 against the cardinals? Hell what about 2 of 3 with Q against Hudson with the way Q has been pitching? And then Hamels being scratched Saturday not that he was pitching that good but is Chatwood starting in his place? If so then maybe they can win that one but I really only see them possibly winning Sunday when Darvish goes. They should win 2 of 3 in Pittsburgh, sweeping on the road is particularly difficult especially when you said bad teams win 40 percent of the time so that says the Pirates will win one then. Then 3 in St. Louis with the Cardinals possibly needing to win 2 of those to hold off the Brewers so yeah 4-5 in the next 9... remember that. Ok so now onto the argument about the Brewers and Cardinals rosters being less talented etc than the cubs yet how are they ahead? I think itís all about passion, heart and managing is why they are ahead of the cubs even though the cubs yes are more talented at more overall positions than the Brewers and Cardinals. Whenever you get more wins out of your team that is less talented than others that is all on the coaching/managing. They kept making comments during the game tonight about how Shildt kept pushing his guys to get better, his starters to go deeper into games and they erased a 3 game deficit at the end of July into most likely winning the division with motivation and good decisions, something the cubs have lacked all year from Maddon. Constant changing of the lineups, pulling pitchers way too early, relying on guys like Strop and Cishek for far too long. Iím sure if you gave Shildt the cubs roster he would have won 100 plus games this year, and I can name about 5 other managers that would have done the same thing with this talent but instead they wonít even finish as the 2nd wild card
    Mills is starting for Hamels. Heís looked pretty good out of the pen. On paper Q against Hudson favors the Cardinals, sure but you never know. Thatís why you play the game. We almost won a Flaherty start even though we did virtually nothing against him.

    Iím not touching on all of these points because your mind has NEVER been changed on here. Mine gets changed all of the time. Itís why I like it on here. You set your mind on something and thatís where you stand. You have zero justification to your predictions... you just guess and throw things against the wall and they rarely, if ever, stick.

    I never predicted a Pirates sweep for the record. I just said you have to feel pretty good about that series. It doesnít mean we will sweep and and doesnít mean we wonít sweep, I just like that matchup.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #257
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    9,858
    Quote Originally Posted by bootsy View Post
    Goodness man I don't care about this at all. I just wanted to point out that there is more than one stat. You made your case to make your point and I made my case for my point which is WAR, SLG, OPS specifically. I'm not going to go into some stats argument about which one is better and why. It's just ridiculous to say that Grandal is better and it's not even close. That's just simply not true at all.
    You donít have to be a stat person, but if you are so clearly not a stat person and you try to use stats to frame an argument then you just look like you have no idea what you are talking about.

    Donít build an argument around stuff you donít understand. Just say Contreras has been better because Iím a cubs fan or whatever.

  3. #258
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    528
    Quote Originally Posted by ivyboys View Post
    Mills is starting for Hamels. Heís looked pretty good out of the pen. On paper Q against Hudson favors the Cardinals, sure but you never know. Thatís why you play the game. We almost won a Flaherty start even though we did virtually nothing against him.

    Iím not touching on all of these points because your mind has NEVER been changed on here. Mine gets changed all of the time. Itís why I like it on here. You set your mind on something and thatís where you stand. You have zero justification to your predictions... you just guess and throw things against the wall and they rarely, if ever, stick.

    I never predicted a Pirates sweep for the record. I just said you have to feel pretty good about that series. It doesnít mean we will sweep and and doesnít mean we wonít sweep, I just like that matchup.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ok whatever you say. I want to know what is your off season wish list for the cubs? Try to be as realistic as possible with changes you want to see and that you could feasibly see the cubs doing

  4. #259
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    1,906
    Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    You donít have to be a stat person, but if you are so clearly not a stat person and you try to use stats to frame an argument then you just look like you have no idea what you are talking about.

    Donít build an argument around stuff you donít understand. Just say Contreras has been better because Iím a cubs fan or whatever.
    Youíre honest opinion, because I donít know. How much do you think the 200 AB difference changes the fWAR between the two? I wouldnít think it would be much because I assume the defense is the main reason Grandalís fWAR is considerably higher than Willsonís.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #260
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    9,858

    Cardinals (85-67) at Cubs (82-70) IGT: NL Central Showdown

    Quote Originally Posted by ivyboys View Post
    Youíre honest opinion, because I donít know. How much do you think the 200 AB difference changes the fWAR between the two? I wouldnít think it would be much because I assume the defense is the main reason Grandalís fWAR is considerably higher than Willsonís.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A pretty good amount, but the defense/framing is the other big factor. Offensively Willson is slightly better this year. Grandal has more OBP, but not much more. Willson has a pretty significant slugging advantage but Grandal still slugs well.

    Availability is important. Framing is important. If we are looking forward it might be close. Grandal is in his 30s now. If we are looking back to see who was more valuable this year or over the last few years, itís not close.
    Last edited by CP_414; 09-20-2019 at 12:36 AM.

  6. #261
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    1,906
    Quote Originally Posted by TN-cub35 View Post
    Ok whatever you say. I want to know what is your off season wish list for the cubs? Try to be as realistic as possible with changes you want to see and that you could feasibly see the cubs doing
    I honestly donít know right now. Like Iíve said before, I would rather wait until the season is over before I make my opinion on what they should do.

    Iím also not the right person to ask. There are way smarter baseball people on here than I am.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #262
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    1,906
    Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    A pretty good amount, but the defense/framing is the biggest factor. Offensively Willson is slightly better this year. Grandal has more OBP, but not much more. Willson has a pretty significant slugging advantage but Grandal still slugs well.

    Availability is important. Framing is important. If we are looking forward itís close. If we are looking back to see who was more valuable this year or over the last few years, itís not close.
    Also you have to consider that Grandal has 126 innings at 1b this year compared to Contreras only having 19 innings total at positions other than catcher. Grandal has 1166 innings in the field total compared to Contreras having 775 innings. Part of that is the time missed from injury for Willson and the fact that a day off for Grandal means heís likely playing 1b. I would imagine that helps Grandal as well.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #263
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    528
    Quote Originally Posted by ivyboys View Post
    I honestly donít know right now. Like Iíve said before, I would rather wait until the season is over before I make my opinion on what they should do.

    Iím also not the right person to ask. There are way smarter baseball people on here than I am.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Well you seem to be a pretty positive/upbeat guy on here so I was just curious what someone with that attitude thinks of the future of the cubs and in particular next yearís team

  9. #264
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    A city in the United States.
    Posts
    4,452
    *sighs*

    Goodbye 2019.
    Screw sabermetics.

  10. #265
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    9,858
    Quote Originally Posted by ivyboys View Post
    Also you have to consider that Grandal has 126 innings at 1b this year compared to Contreras only having 19 innings total at positions other than catcher. Grandal has 1166 innings in the field total compared to Contreras having 775 innings. Part of that is the time missed from injury for Willson and the fact that a day off for Grandal means heís likely playing 1b. I would imagine that helps Grandal as well.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It helps a little because itís more PAs. His D at 1st rates poorly this year and itís pretty tough to build war at 1b, so it doesnít help his WAR much, but it might help a little. If the question though is who was better this year, his time at 1b when not catching is a point in his favor.

  11. #266
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    1,906
    Quote Originally Posted by TN-cub35 View Post
    Well you seem to be a pretty positive/upbeat guy on here so I was just curious what someone with that attitude thinks of the future of the cubs and in particular next yearís team
    I mean we are what, 1 game out of the WC? I donít get how people just give up with 9 games to go. Iím not naive to the fact that weíve had our problems, I just choose to let the season play out rather than calling it quits before itís over.

    I promise that the offseason conversations are coming. There will be plenty of idea thrown out there. Most want to see how this season finishes first before trying to figure out how we get better for the future.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #267
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    3,923
    Iím not sure the cubs have ever had a team with a winning record that I dislike this much. I just donít even look forward to putting the games on, yet, the baseball fan in me canít stay away.

    I understand this is the best stretch of cubs baseball many of us have, and maybe will ever see. But I just canít get over how dramatic the drop off has been. This was suppose to be an old fashioned juggernaut, with all the resources in the world to do what the astros are doing right now. It just seems weíve blown it.

    Hopefully heads will roll this offseason. I see a lot of baseball writers speculating that the Red Sox might make a run at Epstein after this season. If Joe is going, I canít see why Theo should stay. The FO has been on a downward trajectory since 2016.

  13. #268
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    82,143
    Quote Originally Posted by JBears79 View Post
    I went 3/4 againt Mike Foltnievez or however the **** you spell his name back when I was playing. 2 doubles and a single. I could crush Flaherty. They have the exact same zero run fastball

    Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
    You need a hitting coach, I know a guy.

  14. #269
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    13,623
    I stay away from in game posting as much as possible, so if this was said already I apologize for repeating it. But the second Wong came out of the game I said that will eventually benefit the Cardinals. Either his replacement will make a great play or get the winning hit. That just seems to happen with the Cardinals. So what happens? Edelman, who replaces him at 2nd makes a diving stop to get an out in the 9th and then Carpenter homers. I know Wong is GG caliber at 2nd. He also probably makes the play. But for a change it would have been nice if losing a guy actually hurt the Cardinals and that ball went through. Not sure if everything stays the same with Hoerner, but if it did, his ball would have won the game. Just sucks to lose. I would say we are done for the year unless my some crazy ďbaseball miracleĒ we take the next 3. And I doubt that happens.

  15. #270
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    8,432
    Turn out the lights, cause the partyís over. They said that all, good things must end.......

    Hell of a time for a 3 game losing streak. Some things just arenít meant to be, hopefully Theo does more than fire Joe because much more is needed.

Page 18 of 83 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •