Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 58 of 83 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast

Cardinals (85-67) at Cubs (82-70) IGT: NL Central Showdown

Quote Originally Posted by Dmac View Post
    My point was that's it's not so much that they didn't deal for Yelich, but that they held onto too much inventory thinking they were all going to hit, when the probability of that happening was very slim. I don't think they had really any interest in trading either one, let alone both in one deal.

Obviously we will never know, but if Miami would have been interested, I don't think the Cubs would have done it because they thought the value of those two would equal more than what Yelich would have provided them. They gambled on them and it didn't work out. It happens. I think they were also hesitant to make a deal like that after they already dealt Jimenez and Torres. And no, I had no issues with those deals, and still don't.

You think they didn't overvalue their players, I think they did, which is why they hung onto so many of them. We aren't going to agree on each others points, but that's alright.
    Yeah, I really doubt thatís true. We arenít in the room, so like you said we donít really know. I donít think they expected every one of these guys to be really good. I think they expected some to be really good and others just never had enough trade value to justify moving them and paying for a replacement.

Like I said earlier, I do think they could have sold higher on Russell and Schwarber, but I understand why they didnít. I wouldnít have wanted to at the time either. I think all of this is prior to last offseason, too. Last offseason they were stuck.

Kimbrel ****in sucks....So does Quitana. Faded down the stretch when we needed him most.

Back to back starts he didnt get out of the 3rd?

The real Pride of the Midwest

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    Clearly.

Itís funny how itís always people who donít use metrics who claim that the metrics say this team should be elite. The metrics donít say that.
    I think that most stats point to the Cubs being an upper middle class team.

Top 10 being upper class. Middle 10 being middle class. Bottom 10 being lower class. Then each class gets broken down in to the same 3 classes. The Cubs are in the upper portion of the middle portion.

Definitely, which is also a part of the evolution. They can't throw as many innings because they throw a lot harder now with more movement and put a lot more stress on their arms.
    I don't agree with this, Dmac. Throwing harder does not me more velocity. Guys that max out at 92 are throwing as hard as they can. And it's as hard as the guys throwing 98. It's just not as fast as guy that throws 98.

I firmly believe that if your better pitchers were expected and/or asked to go 120-130 pitches, they could with no issues. The game has changed. Not the pitchers. They did it when they were smaller and weaker. They can certainly do it now. If they were allowed to.

Nah. I think you either keep him or you trade him. Heíd do better than that option year if he were a free agent.
    I don't think it should be declined either. That would be two spots to fill in the rotation then. For what he gets paid, I don't think there's many better options of 3/4 guys is out there. For what he gets paid.

Now, if they are going to commit to Chatwood and a AAA guy for minimum wage, then maybe they do. But that's probably not the best option.

Yeah, I think the excuses of he needs more work and is rusty is done now, he just flat out sucks this year. Between the homers and walks he has been brutal. I'm hoping he can turn it around next year, but I doubt it. Red Sox were smart not to pay him. Cubs panicked, and are now paying the price for it and hopefully won't for years to come. I blame Zobrists wife.

Had she never cheated on him they wouldn't have had the money for Kimbrel and he would have signed else where. It's bad enough we have to hear her awful singing when Ben bats, but because she is a floozie we are stuck with Kimbrel.
    This is a great analogy!!

Why is Zobrists walk up music still his wife's version of Bennie and the Jets?

Screw that ho, stop giving her exposure.

The real Pride of the Midwest

Quote Originally Posted by ivyboys View Post
    I didnít say I thought they were going to make a run. I just said our season is not technically over as bad as it has been. The Nats have a brutal schedule and we should get 3 wins in Pittsburgh next week. It would come down to the Cardinals series to end the season. While itís not likely at all itís just possible with the Nats ending with the Indians who are a 91 win team right now still fighting for a playoff spot.

I donít have false hope. If we snuck into a WC game it doesnít mean that we are all the sudden the 2016 Cubs either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Our best hope for a WC spot is to win the next four while Was loses, and Stl has the division clinched before we go there. Maybe, just maybe, they could be giving some guys rest for the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    Our best hope for a WC spot is to win the next four while Was loses, and Stl has the division clinched before we go there. Maybe, just maybe, they could be giving some guys rest for the playoffs.
    If Cubs still has a chance at the WC next weekend, the Cardinals would love nothing more then to knock them out..
    Theyll play everyone

My point was that's it's not so much that they didn't deal for Yelich, but that they held onto too much inventory thinking they were all going to hit, when the probability of that happening was very slim. I don't think they had really any interest in trading either one, let alone both in one deal.
    You think they didn't overvalue their players, I think they did, which is why they hung onto so many of them. We aren't going to agree on each others points, but that's alright.
    This kinda reminds me of what Hendry did with D Lee, A Ramirez, A Soriano
    He held onto these guys til it got too late to trade them for anything worthwhile because they got too old..
    He compounded the issue by signing guys in their 30s ..

I remember when Theo took over and the mess he inherited with all these older players with bad contracts and very little in the system...

If Theo was weighing his options on bringing back Q after his up n down season, this might of did Q in..

https://twitter.com/JoeO670/status/1...915123207?s=19

Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post
    If Theo was weighing his options on bringing back Q after his up n down season, this might of did Q in..

https://twitter.com/JoeO670/status/1...915123207?s=19
    Absolutely horrendous. Our pitching is the biggest problem, not the inconsistent offense IMO. I will never be able to stomach the terrible Quintana trade.

Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post
    This kinda reminds me of what Hendry did with D Lee, A Ramirez, A Soriano
    He held onto these guys til it got too late to trade them for anything worthwhile because they got too old..
    He compounded the issue by signing guys in their 30s ..

I remember when Theo took over and the mess he inherited with all these older players with bad contracts and very little in the system...
    Hendryís problem was not knowing when to fold. That and no trade agreements and 5 and 10 rights.
    BŠez and Contreras were in the system. Thankfully.

Cardinals (85-67) at Cubs (82-70) IGT: NL Central Showdown

Last home game until March 30th.

How many of these guys will be there on March 30?

Edit: Looks like a pretty strong chance they donít play today. Yesterday might have been the last home game until March 30.
    Last edited by CP_414; 09-22-2019 at 11:26 AM.

Last home game until March 30th.

How many of these guys will be there on March 30?
    I'm going to say that 17 guys return. Not 100% sure on some of them though.

I expect 9 new faces w/2-3 being legit impact guys.

Page 58 of 83 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast