Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 20 of 83 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TooL D/R/T View Post
    Iím not sure the cubs have ever had a team with a winning record that I dislike this much. I just donít even look forward to putting the games on, yet, the baseball fan in me canít stay away.

I understand this is the best stretch of cubs baseball many of us have, and maybe will ever see. But I just canít get over how dramatic the drop off has been. This was suppose to be an old fashioned juggernaut, with all the resources in the world to do what the astros are doing right now. It just seems weíve blown it.

Hopefully heads will roll this offseason. I see a lot of baseball writers speculating that the Red Sox might make a run at Epstein after this season. If Joe is going, I canít see why Theo should stay. The FO has been on a downward trajectory since 2016.
    Wouldnt care one bit if Theo bolts for the Red Sox.

Heís been very Jim Hendry like since 2017.

Quote Originally Posted by s2obed View Post
    Is Mills starting today because Hamels is hurt?
    Yes. I'm guessing that it's going to be him and Chatwood. Hopefully they can at least go 8 between the two of them.

Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    Actually bdawk should have said the Brewers are an example of why they play the game and metrics are not everything. As several have pointed out, the Cubs are pretty much what the metrics say they should be. The Brewers, OTOH, are outplaying their projections.
    Like the Royals before them.

Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    Actually bdawk should have said the Brewers are an example of why they play the game and metrics are not everything. As several have pointed out, the Cubs are pretty much what the metrics say they should be. The Brewers, OTOH, are outplaying their projections.
    What I should have said was the Cubs ďsituationĒ, which meant what you just suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by s2obed View Post
    Is Mills starting today because Hamels is hurt?
    Mills is starting cause Hamels has given up on the season and hasnt been even close to the same pitcher he was at the start of the season

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Last nights game is over and behind us. Time for the boys to come out swinging today. We have had great success against Wacha. Let's jump on him early and get that game back.

Cardinals (85-67) at Cubs (82-70) IGT: NL Central Showdown

The Cubs just need to get better.

NL only ranks
    Offense:
    wRC+ 5th
    Obp 4th
    Runs scored 5th

Pitching:
    ERA 3rd
    FIP 6th
    xFIP 3rd

Defense:
    Uzr/150 4th
    DRS 12th

Baserunning:
    BsR 9th

Winning percentage: 6th

This is what a slightly above average team looks like. Itís really hard to maintain a level higher than this for 5 years without seasons like this, but now itís time to make some improvements to increase the production level moving forward.

They need a deeper roster so they arenít giving 1100 PAs to Almora, Russell, Descalso, Happ, Garcia, Kemp, Cargo. You are always going to have some PAs by guys who canít hit well, but thatís nearly the PAs youíd get from 2 full time starters going to that group. Itís way too many. The Dodgers have a little over half that many PAs by sub 90 wRC+ hitters and all except about 85 of them are from backup catchers. They donít waste plate appearances. That should be a big part of the goal moving forward. Real depth.
    Last edited by CP_414; 09-20-2019 at 11:33 AM.

2016 World Series Champions!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post

NL only ranks
    Offense:
    wRC+ 5th
    Obp 4th
    Runs scored 5th

Pitching:
    ERA 3rd
    FIP 6th
    xFIP 3rd

Defense:
    Uzr/150 4th
    DRS 12th

Baserunning:
    BsR 9th

This is what a slightly above average team looks like. Itís really hard to maintain a level higher than this for 5 years without seasons like this, but now itís time to make some improvements to increase the production level moving forward.

They need a deeper roster so they arenít giving 1100 PAs to Almora, Russell, Descalso, Happ, Garcia, Kemp, Cargo. You are always going to have some PAs by guys who canít hit well, but thatís nearly the PAs youíd get from 2 full time starters going to that group. Itís way too many. The Dodgers have a little over half that many PAs by sub 90 wRC+ hitters and all except about 85 of them are from backup catchers. They donít waste plate appearances. That should be a big part of the goal moving forward. Real depth.
    Wow I forgot about Cargo, that was this year. That seemed like light years ago. What a long, frustrating season this has been.

NL only ranks
    Offense:
    wRC+ 5th
    Obp 4th
    Runs scored 5th

Pitching:
    ERA 3rd
    FIP 6th
    xFIP 3rd

Defense:
    Uzr/150 4th
    DRS 12th

Baserunning:
    BsR 9th

Totally agree. People like to throw around that the Cubs have elite talent, which may or may not be the case, but either way if a team is punting two positions, which the Cubs did for 4-5 months at CF and 2B, it hurts the cause. And if theyíre punting two positions chances are the bench is pretty bad too.
    There is no reason for a contending team in the current baseball climate to have that many useless offensive players. The depth at the big league level needs to improve. Triple A too.

NL only ranks
    Offense:
    wRC+ 5th
    Obp 4th
    Runs scored 5th

Pitching:
    ERA 3rd
    FIP 6th
    xFIP 3rd

Defense:
    Uzr/150 4th
    DRS 12th

Baserunning:
    BsR 9th

I think the best way to get real depth is to add better starters. Some of the guys you mentions will now become depth only, instead of starting games. No?

Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    I think the best way to get real depth is to add better starters. Some of the guys you mentions will now become depth only, instead of starting games. No?
    The best way to improve depth is to have better prospects. You donít need to try Cargo and Kemp and to keep running Almora and Russell out there if you have better options in AAA.

And to be clearer, Iím not blaming anyone. The Cubs donít have better younger players/prospects because they made trades to try to win the World Series. They went into IFA penalties to get some bigger ones. They punted a draft to sign big free agents. Those are the biggest reasons. I think they are doing well in rebuilding the farm system while trying to win and managing a budget up against limitations. It just needs to be more of a front burner issue this offseason. The Dodger recent trade I think Iím most jealous of is the one with the Reds where they cleared money from Puig and Wood and also got back 2 guys who are now top 100 prospects in Gray and Downs. Easier said than done, but the Cubs need to find their version of that trade.
    Last edited by CP_414; 09-20-2019 at 12:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    The 2019 Cubs are a good example of why games are played on the field instead through Pythag theories and calculators. Metrics donít tell the whole story.
    Amen

Kintzler is back

2016 World Series Champions!!!

Page 20 of 83 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast