Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Kenley Jansen blew the save and he does need to get better, but honestly he struck out choi for the 2nd out.. That shoulda been called a strike for sure. I think the ump didnít call it though because smith was setting up inside and then whipped his glove back the other way. If that was called strike 3, the next at bat was a pop out so that woulda been game.

But again, kenley does need to get better, just putting some context out there

Your baby can't do this

Quote Originally Posted by DigglinDickers View Post
    I think I'm missing something here... I don't think we're on the same page, I'm confused.
    I'm saying that the Rays always throw bullpen games, because they don't use traditional starters so every game for them is a bullpen game and so them throwing back-to-back bullpen games isn't an indication of the quality of their pitching staff, that's just their strategy of how they use pitchers.

Quote Originally Posted by sonofdad View Post
    It seems pretty clear that getting everyone healthy and auditioning players for potential post season roles and/or roster spots has become a priority over winning the games from night to night. I am sure they would prefer to win and gain home field through the postseason, but it is definitely 3rd on the list of priorities.

Bringing in Joe Kelly in the middle of innings with guys on base is definitely telling. They want to see him in as many high leverage situations as possible. I think with Jansen, they specifically want to see how he does on back to back nights, regardless of the inning.

I am ok with all of this if we go into the postseason with the best possible roster of healthy guys, but I am concerned that we have not played any game of consequence since the beginning of the year. It's hard to imagine that there is not some benefit in having to maintain a level of intensity going into the playoffs.
    Yeah, I agree with all of this. This is basically what I've been saying for a while now and why people shouldn't panic when we go into small stretches of bad play, because we're almost always going at about 70-80% and Roberts (for better or worst) doesn't care about winning at this point, but in trying out different things and seeing if he finds something effective.

Are you saying that starting or using the bullpen a significant part of the game is less an indication of a weak pitching staff, and more of a strategic decision based on particular strength? Not trying to put words in your mouth, but it seems that teams like the Rays leverage their pitching depth in exactly that manner. Recently for the Dodgers, I think it means nothing more than they want to see as many of their pitchers as possible in various roles and positions, and will keep running them out there. If the by-product is more rest for the starting pitchers, then that is a huge bonus. While I don't expect to see complete games from any of our starters in the post season, I doubt the Dodgers will be "bull-penning" once the playoffs start.
    Yep, that's what I'm saying. The Rays use that strategy purposefully, not because they don't have strong pitchers (whether it's a good strategy is up for debate, but that's the wagon they've hitched onto). I agree about us using bullpen games to give other guys rest and experiment.
    Last edited by Big Moves03; 09-19-2019 at 04:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jaydubb View Post
    Kenley Jansen blew the save and he does need to get better, but honestly he struck out choi for the 2nd out.. That shoulda been called a strike for sure. I think the ump didnít call it though because smith was setting up inside and then whipped his glove back the other way. If that was called strike 3, the next at bat was a pop out so that woulda been game.

Yep, agreed on this. Jansen got kind of robbed last night. Should've still been able to put it away though. 8 blown saves isn't actually that bad, I think the bigger concern is that he tends to struggle a little even though he usually gets it done. I think Roberts will continue to give him chances the rest of the regular season to let him show prove that he can still do it. If was keep seeing the same thing though, I think Roberts will use more of a situational closer and Jansen will be used in that type of role, where he will close in some games and in others he might come in during the 6th or 7th.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Moves03 View Post
    Yep, agreed on this. Jansen got kind of robbed last night. Should've still been able to put it away though. 8 blown saves isn't actually that bad, I think the bigger concern is that he tends to struggle a little even though he usually gets it done. I think Roberts will continue to give him chances the rest of the regular season to let him show prove that he can still do it. If was keep seeing the same thing though, I think Roberts will use more of a situational closer and Jansen will be used in that type of role, where he will close in some games and in others he might come in during the 6th or 7th.
    I love the potential benefit of Will Smith, but I am concerned about him being our primary catcher going into the playoffs. I think that is a factor that should not be underestimated...no one wants to see the giveaway at bats from Martin, but I'd rather see that and have the game and pitchers managed well. It was easier to swallow when Smith was hitting like he was from a different planet.

Tampa Bay Rays @ Los Angeles Dodgers

Speaking of smith, did you guys catch that moment the other night when the ball was foul tipped, smith was still able to catch the pitch, and also still threw out the base runner at 2nd? That was awesome to watch. The days are over of watching the Austin Barnes floaties that bounce like 4 times before getting to 2nd base and the ball doesn't even get there till the runner is already safe, up off the ground, and already called timeout.

Your baby can't do this

Quote Originally Posted by jaydubb View Post

That's part of the game, Jansen still has to get him out.

Tampa Bay Rays @ Los Angeles Dodgers

That's part of the game, Jansen still has to get him out.
    True, like I said he does need to get better but if he got the right call there we likely wouldn't be talking about a blown save opportunity. Unfortunately it went all down hill from there because he was probably stuck thinking about that one pitch that he shoulda had

Your baby can't do this

It will be an early playoff exit if Jansen is on the postseason roster.

It will be an early playoff exit if Jansen is on the postseason roster.
    I fully expect him to be on the roster, but I expect Joe Kelly (and others) will get the higher leverage situations.

I fully expect him to be on the roster, but I expect Joe Kelly (and others) will get the higher leverage situations.
    The only reason that Jansen would be on the roster is to spare his sensitive feelings. Jansen would serve no purpose on a playoff roster except to walk some guys and give up the home run.

The only reason that Jansen would be on the roster is to spare his sensitive feelings. Jansen would serve no purpose on a playoff roster except to walk some guys and give up the home run.
    IMO Should be...
    Ryu, Buehler, Kershaw, Maeda, Urias, Stripling, Gonsolin, Kelly, Baez, May, Garcia, and maybe Ferguson to have an additional lefty, but he scares me.

I would not be surprised to see Jansen, but I doubt we carry more than 12 for the NLDS.

IMO Should be...
    Ryu, Buehler, Kershaw, Maeda, Urias, Stripling, Gonsolin, Kelly, Baez, May, Garcia, and maybe Ferguson to have an additional lefty, but he scares me.

I would not be surprised to see Jansen, but I doubt we carry more than 12 for the NLDS.

I agree. I would also take Furgeson over Jansen, Furgeson just needs to find his command because he has an arm on him.

The ESPN guys were just talking about Kershaw's first-inning ERA, and he didn't disappoint them.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast