Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dodgerdave View Post
    Sabertards enjoy wearing out the bullpen.
    But we almost never do that so I doubt that' what it is. Robert's is likely just trying out different things.

I can't say that I'm the least bit surprised that Jansen blows another save.

Will Smith has been Ice ****ing cold over the last month.
    https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...&year=2019&t=b

But that's what happens when you carry a K-rate of 29% it makes your slumps that much worse.

Bummer we lost, but overall, these last two series are great signs, as both opposing teams arguably have better pitching than most if not any team we would face in the playoffs and those teams were in must win situations, while Roberts is basically just playing around with the lineups.

Quote Originally Posted by DigglinDickers View Post
    I can't say that I'm the least bit surprised that Jansen blows another save.
    Kenley Jansen has 8 blown saves. Todd Worrell had 8 blown saves in 1997 (we lost the division by 2 games that year).

Future Hall of Shamers:
    (1) B.A.L.C.O. Barroids (2) Mark McJuicer (3) Jose Chem-seco (4) Rafael Palmeiroids (5) Ken Chem-initi (6) Jason Gi-andro (7) Ryan Fraud (8) Muscle Melk (9) Woman-Ram (10) Shammy Sosa (11) Roger Clear-mens (12) A-Roid (13) Ryan HGHoward

Quote Originally Posted by Big Moves03 View Post
    Bummer we lost, but overall, these last two series are great signs, as both opposing teams arguably have better pitching than most if not any team we would face in the playoffs and those teams were in must win situations, while Roberts is basically just playing around with the lineups.
    I don't think they would go back to back games with the pen if the pitching is as strong as you think it is.

I don't think they would go back to back games with the pen if the pitching is as strong as you think it is.
    Well the rays are ranked as the second best pitching staff in the league, behind us. Don't they always pitch like this? I was under the impression that they were one of the teams that uses openers.

Roberts needs to grow some balls and leave Jansen off the playoff roster. Whats the point of adding him if he is gonna cost you 1-2 games. They need to make Kelly, Baez or Maeda the 9th inning closer. ****. Make Dustin, or Tony the closer. I am sure they are more than cable of getting 3 outs.

Kenley ain't the same and neither is Kershaw. Kershaw better not be staring until game 3 at the latest. You go Buhler, Ryu, Kershaw, Hill.

Well the rays are ranked as the second best pitching staff in the league, behind us. Don't they always pitch like this? I was under the impression that they were one of the teams that uses openers.
    That still has nothing to do with the pitching not being as strong as you think it is if they're going back to back games with a pen game.

What a joke. Jansen gets paid 18 million next season and 20 after that.

That still has nothing to do with the pitching not being as strong as you think it is if they're going back to back games with a pen game.
    I might be missing something here: If they use an opener, wouldn't every single game of the season be a pen game for them? It's my understanding that this is how they pitch every single game. I haven't really watched them play outside of the games against us so I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that this is how all of their games are because they don't use starters.

Quote Originally Posted by lamar2006 View Post
    Roberts needs to grow some balls and leave Jansen off the playoff roster. Whats the point of adding him if he is gonna cost you 1-2 games. They need to make Kelly, Baez or Maeda the 9th inning closer. ****. Make Dustin, or Tony the closer. I am sure they are more than cable of getting 3 outs.

Kenley ain't the same and neither is Kershaw. Kershaw better not be staring until game 3 at the latest. You go Buhler, Ryu, Kershaw, Hill.
    Do you think Roberts would start Kershaw in Game 7 of the World Series? ....Or bring in Kenley with a 1-run lead, bottom 9, G7 at Houston? The answer is yes to both!

I might be missing something here: If they use an opener, wouldn't every single game of the season be a pen game for them? It's my understanding that this is how they pitch every single game. I haven't really watched them play outside of the games against us so I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that this is how all of their games are because they don't use starters.
    I think I'm missing something here... I don't think we're on the same page, I'm confused.

It seems pretty clear that getting everyone healthy and auditioning players for potential post season roles and/or roster spots has become a priority over winning the games from night to night. I am sure they would prefer to win and gain home field through the postseason, but it is definitely 3rd on the list of priorities.

Bringing in Joe Kelly in the middle of innings with guys on base is definitely telling. They want to see him in as many high leverage situations as possible. I think with Jansen, they specifically want to see how he does on back to back nights, regardless of the inning.

I am ok with all of this if we go into the postseason with the best possible roster of healthy guys, but I am concerned that we have not played any game of consequence since the beginning of the year. It's hard to imagine that there is not some benefit in having to maintain a level of intensity going into the playoffs.

Are you saying that starting or using the bullpen a significant part of the game is less an indication of a weak pitching staff, and more of a strategic decision based on particular strength? Not trying to put words in your mouth, but it seems that teams like the Rays leverage their pitching depth in exactly that manner. Recently for the Dodgers, I think it means nothing more than they want to see as many of their pitchers as possible in various roles and positions, and will keep running them out there. If the by-product is more rest for the starting pitchers, then that is a huge bonus. While I don't expect to see complete games from any of our starters in the post season, I doubt the Dodgers will be "bull-penning" once the playoffs start.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast