Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 32 of 48 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    They are now. The Cubs jumped to 12th in the last 3 weeks with their abundance of run scored recently. Milwaukee is 21st.

You're smart. Let me ask you this. Every stat points to the Cubs being WAY ahead of Milwaukee. But they're tied with them. Why do you think that is?

Pythag records have the Cubs 14 games ahead of them.

Is pythag just a stupid formula that means nothing? Are stats completely meaningless?

I can't stand that we haven't pulled away from them.
    I just posted above, same amount of games (41), Brewers are 7 games better, and I'm sure they are probably better in 2 run games..

That where the Brewers make up ground on the cubs, close games with a better bullpen to close it out all year.

Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post
    I just posted above, same amount of games (41), Brewers are 7 games better, and I'm sure they are probably better in 2 run games..

That where the Brewers make up ground on the cubs, close games with a better bullpen to close it out all year.
    The Cubs win a lot of games in blowout fashion. That certainly pads their total offensive numbers.

They have the ability, as we've seen to really pour in on with the runs. Too bad they struggle in close games.

Quote Originally Posted by BearDown1223 View Post
    5-1 bottom 7. Cubs are going to have to win to stay 2 back.
    Cardinals hold on to win this game, no matter what the Cubs do tonight, they're going to need to win at least 5 of 7 to catch the Cardinals in the last 10 games..

I think the best realistic chance at postseason play the cubs have, given all the teams schedule to finish the season,is hoping the Nats shitttt the bed these final 10 games..

Brewers have a super easy schedule and it gonna be really tough for the Cubs to win both series against the Cardinals

Fowler just robbed Cabrera of a 3 run homer that would of made it 5-4 in the 8th...

2016 World Series Champions!!!

Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    They are now. The Cubs jumped to 12th in the last 3 weeks with their abundance of run scored recently. Milwaukee is 21st.

You're smart. Let me ask you this. Every stat points to the Cubs being WAY ahead of Milwaukee. But they're tied with them. Why do you think that is?

Pythag records have the Cubs 14 games ahead of them.

Is pythag just a stupid formula that means nothing? Are stats completely meaningless?

I can't stand that we haven't pulled away from them.
    Cubs may have jumped up some, but the fact the Brewers are one of the worst team with risp. So your point that the reason the Cubs were not very good doesn't hold if you are comparing them to the Brewers. That is all I am saying.
    As for the reason the Brewers have the same record and will probably pass the Cubs, I honestly do not know. I do not think it is as simple as "well the Cubs suck with risp", or "the Cubs don't shorten up and play situational ball". Or" the Cubs manager is an idiot and the Cubs do not play with any urgency".
    it just happens. it is just baseball. The Brewers individually are not as good as the Cubs. I do not feel their manager is any more prepared then the Cubs manager. They just seem to win the close games more often. Maybe the pen plays a part in it too. However, statistically aren't the Cubs better? Again, my point is it is not just one thing. It a collection of things that make this game so great and so incredibly annoying at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    If teams start asking 2-3 of their starting pitchers to only go 3-5 innings per start and use relievers for multiple innings a lot more youíll stop watching baseball?

I think this is the way the game is going. High volume of good pitchers in shorter spurts, but with some true top of the rotation pitchers mixed in.

Thereís always a place for Scherzer or Verlander or Cole, but I think the future (maybe 10 years maybe 30 years from now) wonít have ďstartersĒ and ďrelievers.Ē Theyíll just have pitchers.
    Yep, that is pretty much what I am saying. I agree it is changing and growing. it will just grow without me watching as much. I think you mentioned this happened in the NBA where the midrange game left. You are right, it did. And when I got tired of watching the product on the court I stopped watching. I also hate the fact that players put together super teams and the rest of the NBA is left to fight for being the cream of the crud. So I stopped watching.
    You also mentioned how the NFL has gone pass happy. It has evolved. However, that evolution, I like. To me that makes the game more exciting.
    I feel the strategy in baseball today is making the game boring. And if this becomes the way of the league, I can honestly say it will lose me.

Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    Yep, that is pretty much what I am saying. I agree it is changing and growing. it will just grow without me watching as much. I think you mentioned this happened in the NBA where the midrange game left. You are right, it did. And when I got tired of watching the product on the court I stopped watching. I also hate the fact that players put together super teams and the rest of the NBA is left to fight for being the cream of the crud. So I stopped watching.
    You also mentioned how the NFL has gone pass happy. It has evolved. However, that evolution, I like. To me that makes the game more exciting.
    I feel the strategy in baseball today is making the game boring. And if this becomes the way of the league, I can honestly say it will lose me.
    I donít think itís the starters going shorter that is boring. I think itís the increase in strikeouts, walks, homers that is the concern. I donít think the Cubs game was boring last night but there were not a lot of balls in play.

If you have a starter go 4, 2 relievers go 2 each, and a closer go 1 thatís not any more or less boring to me than a starter going 6, using 2-3 guys to get you to the 9th and then a closer. I like a good multi-inning reliever like Mills and Wick Monday and Lorenzen last night.

I donít think itís the starters going shorter that is boring. I think itís the increase in strikeouts, walks, homers that is the concern. I donít think the Cubs game was boring last night but there were not a lot of balls in play.

If you have a starter go 4, 2 relievers go 2 each, and a closer go 1 thatís not any more or less boring to me than a starter going 6, using 2-3 guys to get you to the 9th and then a closer. I like a good multi-inning reliever like Mills and Wick Monday and Lorenzen last night.
    To each their own. I agree that it might not be the strategy that makes the game boring. It might be the strategy working therefore making less action, which makes the game boring.Again, I am not arguing the merit of what the teams might end up doing. I am suggesting that in doing this, for me the game gets more boring.

So to your point then, do you think the Cubs need to add a pitcher this off season? Talking about a starter. Or do you fill that spot with Chatwood and hope you get 4 solid out of him, and maybe go to Mills for 2 or 3? Would you be happy with that arrangement?

Reds (lulz) at Cubs (81-68) IGT: The Comeback Edition

So to your point then, do you think the Cubs need to add a pitcher this off season? Talking about a starter. Or do you fill that spot with Chatwood and hope you get 4 solid out of him, and maybe go to Mills for 2 or 3? Would you be happy with that arrangement?
    If they bulk up the pen, Iím absolutely good with not spending on a 5th starter. It doesnít have to be huge money relievers either. Iím not talking Chapman. Guys like Pomeranz or Chris Martin in free agency or similar pitchers via trade would be great. They could give Chatwood that #5 spot, or try Mills/Alzolay. See if Miller or Abbott take the spot. They could sign someone really cheap. Maybe they add a near mlb ready pitcher in some other trade. You can always get a back end starter for basically nothing in July if it becomes a problem.

So yeah, give me a couple relievers they like with at least one being a multi-inning guy over some $10-15 mil starter. Give me Cole obviously, but if the choices are someone like Hamels, Roark, Gibson (and I kind of like all of them) or 2 short term relievers they really like and more money into the offense, Iíll take that option.
    Last edited by CP_414; 09-18-2019 at 05:03 PM.

If they bulk up the pen, Iím absolutely good with not spending on a 5th starter. It doesnít have to be huge money relievers either. Iím not talking Chapman. Guys like Pomeranz or Chris Martin in free agency or similar pitchers via trade would be great. They could give Chatwood that #5 spot, or try Mills/Alzolay. See if Miller or Abbott take the spot. They could sign someone really cheap. Maybe they add a near mlb ready pitcher in some other trade. You can always get a back end starter for basically nothing in July if it becomes a problem.

So yeah, give me a couple relievers they like with at least one being a multi-inning guy over some $10-15 mil starter. Give me Cole obviously, but if the choices are someone like Hamels, Roark, Gibson (and I kind of like all of them) or 2 short term relievers they really like and more money into the offense, Iíll take that option.
    I think that way of managing is going to open manager up to so much arm chair managing it is going to be unbearable on chat sites. Just think of the time a guy goes 3 inning and is doing fine but is lifted. And then the guy who comes in get lit up. It also ends with some unconventional guys closing games. I have seen guys other than Hader close for the Brewers at times. I honestly cannot even imagine the outrage on this board of all the people who know so much more than Maddon, when the next manager does something based on a plan of a guy only pitching 3 or 4 innings no matter how he is doing.

Gotta hold serve, Cubs.

I think that way of managing is going to open manager up to so much arm chair managing it is going to be unbearable on chat sites. Just think of the time a guy goes 3 inning and is doing fine but is lifted. And then the guy who comes in get lit up. It also ends with some unconventional guys closing games. I have seen guys other than Hader close for the Brewers at times. I honestly cannot even imagine the outrage on this board of all the people who know so much more than Maddon, when the next manager does something based on a plan of a guy only pitching 3 or 4 innings no matter how he is doing.
    If you win nobody complains. If you lose, people complain no matter what decisions are made. Who cares? Canít make decisions based on that. Just do whatever you think leads to the most wins.

Page 32 of 48 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast