Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 27 of 48 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast
    I have the perfect equivalent for the Eagles... the Brewers, they both play over their heads late in the year to get into the playoffs but aren’t a threat to win it all. The packers would be the Cardinals since they are both big rivals of the Chicago teams and their fans feel entitled just like the packers fans do, good tradition and Green Bay is a football town and St Louis is a baseball town... perfect comparison

Reds (lulz) at Cubs (81-68) IGT: The Comeback Edition

Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    So if Washington loses today and they all are tied the Cubs would be team A, correct? So the Cubs would have only 1 game to play but it would be on the road?
    In that scenario, Cubs would be A, Stl would be B, Wash would be C. So the Cubs would host Stl on Monday. Winner is WC 1. Loser plays at Washington Tuesday. Winner of that game is WC2. Assuming the Cubs win 4/7 vs STL.

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    In that scenario, Cubs would be A, Stl would be B, Wash would be C. So the Cubs would host Stl on Monday. Winner is WC 1. Loser plays at Washington Tuesday. Winner of that game is WC2. Assuming the Cubs win 4/7 vs STL.
    What about a 3 way tie for the division?

Quote Originally Posted by TN-cub35 View Post
    I have the perfect equivalent for the Eagles... the Brewers, they both play over their heads late in the year to get into the playoffs but aren’t a threat to win it all. The packers would be the Cardinals since they are both big rivals of the Chicago teams and their fans feel entitled just like the packers fans do, good tradition and Green Bay is a football town and St Louis is a baseball town... perfect comparison
    Um, we literally just won 2 years ago lol.

#DingerSZN
    #AllenWatch
    End of Season Stats
    .542AVG/.562OBP/.889SLG/1.451OPS/21RBIs/3Dingers(1 grand slam)
    Selected to All-Conference Team
    Selected First Team All-District Team

OK, got it. I was confused and still thinking of a 3 team tie for the division, with one team then being the wild card. So, what happens if the Cubs/Cardinals and Brewers all finish tied with more wins than the Nationals. All 3 are in the playoffs. Do they still play for the division, or in the case that all teams are in, do they just give the division to the team with the best overall record against the other two and the WC game is played between the other 2 teams at the home of the team that won the season series. That can happen.

What about a 3 way tie for the division?
    Similar process but with the Cubs brewers and Cards and for 1 spot instead of 2. If the Cubs go 4/3 vs STL they’d finish with the best record among the 3 so they get first choice. Team A hosts team B, winner hosts team C. Winner of that game gets the division. If there is also an open WC spot, loser of that 2nd game gets the WC.

So if Cubs have first choice they’d choose to skip Monday and play a road game Tuesday. If they win Tuesday they win the division, if they lose they get a WC spot.

Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    I'm not really too high on Milwaukee for starters. But looking at the remaining schedules, it looks like this division is going to be theirs for the taking.

The probability of the Cubs and Stl going 4-3/3-4 against each other is pretty good. All the while Milwaukee's opponents are a combined 84 games under .500. They are finishing up the the bottom 4 NL teams

I think that they are the 3rd best team in the division, but the way things are shaking out down the stretch, I wouldn't be surprised if they grabbed the top spot again this year.

Maybe they wet the bed or something.

EDIT: My bad. They do not play Miami
    Everything is lined up for them to win the division even though they are still two games back.

The Cubs and Cards playing each other seven freaking times will be big for them unless one team is just dominate over the other. It's more likely they will exchange wins and losses back and forth to the point they both lose ground. The Brewers making the road trip to face the Braves in about two weeks for the NLDS is a safer bet than not at this moment. The Cubs and Cards final three games could be a fight for the second wild card, which very few could have seen coming about four weeks ago. The Brewers have gotten red hot in the final month for the second straight year (11-1 in last 12) and beaten the two teams in front of them all season long (Won of 8 of the last 13 over Cubs/Cards) so they will have earned this division title if they can finish the job. It feels so much like last year that it's very frustrating to watch. They just keep winning the games they have to win to stick around the race and don't lose the games they shouldn't lose that would make them fade away. Based on the remaining schedules for all three, they should leapfrog both teams to taking the NL Central. Just have to tip your cap to them if they take it without their best player.

Baseball is Baseball. Bad teams have been known to beat Good teams in a pennant race and big help can come from the most unexcepted places. The Brewers could lose two of three on the road to inferior teams like the Reds and Rockies. Will they cool off enough to pent a real dent in this hot steak?
    Last edited by Vince70; 09-18-2019 at 10:30 AM.

Um....no! In the NFC they aren’t a super bowl contender, Rams, Packers, Saints once Brees gets healthy, Bears once their offense gets going, cowboys are all better than the Eagles this year. I do hope you guys beat the Packers but I doubt it at Lambeau
    Saints will be eliminated by the time Brees comes back. Has Chicago even scored a TD? They won;t go anywhere without a QB. Cowboys will certainly be a test. Rams are flawed. I don't have much faith in GB. Anyways, football discussion goes on in the NFL main, come on over.

#DingerSZN
    #AllenWatch
    End of Season Stats

Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    OK, got it. I was confused and still thinking of a 3 team tie for the division, with one team then being the wild card. So, what happens if the Cubs/Cardinals and Brewers all finish tied with more wins than the Nationals. All 3 are in the playoffs. Do they still play for the division, or in the case that all teams are in, do they just give the division to the team with the best overall record against the other two and the WC game is played between the other 2 teams at the home of the team that won the season series. That can happen.
    That’s a good question. I’m not sure.

I still can't believe that the Brewers have clawed their way back in to this damn thing.

#DingerSZN
    #AllenWatch
    End of Season Stats

Based on who is starting today for the Reds, the Cubs offense should be able to deliver.

Also, it would be a great time for Lester to get it together to avoid a high scoring affair. Hendricks has been unhittable against the Cards this season so it'd be nice to rebound from last night's loss with back to back wins.

There's only 5 teams that have won less than 40% of their games. God awful teams win 40% of their games. IMO, a bad team wins about 45% of their games.

Now saying that, the remaining opponents Milwaukee has, are playing .388 ball against teams over .500. I'm sure it's even worse with teams that play .540 ball as Milwaukee has.

Not making a prediction here, but I wouldn't be surprised if Milwaukee finished 9-2 against these bottom feeders who have already packed it in. That would put them at 91 wins, which should be able to win the division if the Cubs and Cards beat each other up in their 7 games.

If Milwaukee does do this, it would force the Cubs to go 10-1 to avoid a playoff game against Milwaukee. If this is the case, Stl would likely be on the outside looking in.
    Last edited by thawv; 09-18-2019 at 11:34 AM.

If the Cubs, Nationals, and Cards were all tied, the three teams would choose/receive A, B and C designations. A would host B, and the winner would advance to the Wild Card Game. C would then host the loser of the game between A and B to decide the other Wild Card team. Then the 2 winners play the WC game.

ABC would be based on head to head vs the other 2 teams. If the Cubs go 4-3 in the remaining STL games they’ll be 13-12 vs STL/Wash, Wash will be 7-6 or 6-7 and STL will be 12-14 or 13-13. So if Washington wins today, the Cubs win 4/7 and all 3 teams finish tied, Washington would choose team A, the Cubs choose team B, Cards are team C. If the Cards win today, the Cubs go 4/3 and all 3 finish tied then the Cubs are team A, Stl is B, Wash is C.
    Thanks for the leg work on this CP! Very impressive

Thanks for the leg work on this CP! Very impressive
    I just read this the other day.

https://www.mlb.com/news/2019-mlb-po...aker-scenarios

The only scenario I don’t see is the one rcal laid out. What if Washington fades and the 3 central teams finish tied for the division and both WC spots? They may just award the central to the Cubs (best record head to head) in that case and the WC to the other two. Otherwise I assume you’d have Stl vs mke Monday, winner vs Cubs Tuesday, winner gets the division, Tuesday loser vs Monday loser Wednesday in the WC game, then the winner of that plays Thursday in the NLDS with LA.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince70 View Post
    Everything is lined up for them to win the division even though they are still two games back.

The Cubs and Cards playing each other seven freaking times will be big for them unless one team is just dominate over the other. It's more likely they will exchange wins and losses back and forth to the point they both lose ground. The Brewers making the road trip to face the Braves in about two weeks for the NLDS is a safer bet than not at this moment. The Cubs and Cards final three games could be a fight for the second wild card, which very few could have seen coming about four weeks ago. The Brewers have gotten red hot in the final month for the second straight year (11-1 in last 12) and beaten the two teams in front of them all season long (Won of 8 of the last 13 over Cubs/Cards) so they will have earned this division title if they can finish the job. It feels so much like last year that it's very frustrating to watch. They just keep winning the games they have to win to stick around the race and don't lose the games they shouldn't lose that would make them fade away. Based on the remaining schedules for all three, they should leapfrog both teams to taking the NL Central. Just have to tip your cap to them if they take it without their best player.

Baseball is Baseball. Bad teams have been known to beat Good teams in a pennant race and big help can come from the most unexcepted places. The Brewers could lose two of three on the road to inferior teams like the Reds and Rockies. Will they cool off enough to pent a real dent in this hot steak?
    There's only 5 teams that have won less than 40% of their games. God awful teams win 40% of their games. IMO, a bad team wins about 45% of their games.

Now saying that, the remaining opponents Milwaukee has, are playing .388 ball against teams over .500. I'm sure it's even worse with teams that play .540 ball as Milwaukee has.

Not making a prediction here, but I wouldn't be surprised if Milwaukee finished 9-2 against these bottom feeders who have already packed it in. That would put them at 90 wins, which should be able to win the division if the Cubs and Cards beat each other up in their 7 games.

If Milwaukee does do this, it would force the Cubs to go 10-1 to avoid a playoff game against Milwaukee. If this is the case, Stl would likely be on the outside looking in.
    If either of you guys would like to make a charity bet on the Brewers winning the division, I'll take that action.

Page 27 of 48 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast