Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 28 of 48 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    I just read this the other day.

https://www.mlb.com/news/2019-mlb-po...aker-scenarios

The only scenario I donít see is the one rcal laid out. What if Washington fades and the 3 central teams finish tied for the division and both WC spots? They may just award the central to the Cubs (best record head to head) in that case and the WC to the other two. Otherwise I assume youíd have Stl vs mke Monday, winner vs Cubs Tuesday, winner gets the division, Tuesday loser vs Monday loser Wednesday in the WC game, then the winner of that plays Thursday in the NLDS with LA.
    Can't imagine the bolded would happen. They would surely have to play off for the division in any tie situation. There's a big advantage to being the division champ vs. a WC (obviously).

Quote Originally Posted by davearm View Post
    Can't imagine the bolded would happen. They would surely have to play off for the division in any tie situation. There's a big advantage to being the division champ vs. a WC (obviously).
    Not sure. I think the rule a few years ago was if 2 teams tied for the division but the loser was going to be a wild card anyway, they gave the division to the team who won the series. I know it was not that way last year. But not sure what they do with 3 teams. Seems a bit of a time waste when all 3 are in anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    Not sure. I think the rule a few years ago was if 2 teams tied for the division but the loser was going to be a wild card anyway, they gave the division to the team who won the series. I know it was not that way last year. But not sure what they do with 3 teams. Seems a bit of a time waste when all 3 are in anyway.
    Not a waste of time at all when the stakes are, one team goes against the Braves, one goes against the Dodgers, and one goes home. Definitely seems like the sort of thing you'd want to resolve on the field.

Reds (lulz) at Cubs (81-68) IGT: The Comeback Edition

Iím not sure what theyíd do. The alternate option to using head to head as the tiebreaker puts all 3 at a pretty big disadvantage. Basically the Cards and Brewers play either way. The question is if they call that the WC game and send the winner to LA or if they have the winner play the Cubs the next day and the losers play the WC the day after that and then the winner of that goes to LA. Maybe they just play it out. But in theory the Brewers could play Sunday in Denver, Monday in Milwaukee, Tuesday in Milwaukee, Wednesday in STL, Thursday in LA, Friday in LA. That would be pretty wild.

I just read this the other day.

https://www.mlb.com/news/2019-mlb-po...aker-scenarios

The only scenario I donít see is the one rcal laid out. What if Washington fades and the 3 central teams finish tied for the division and both WC spots? They may just award the central to the Cubs (best record head to head) in that case and the WC to the other two. Otherwise I assume youíd have Stl vs mke Monday, winner vs Cubs Tuesday, winner gets the division, Tuesday loser vs Monday loser Wednesday in the WC game, then the winner of that plays Thursday in the NLDS with LA.
    Scenario: Three teams tie for a division title

This, too, is a mathematical possibility in the NL Central. Were the Cardinals, Cubs and Brewers to be deadlocked at seasonís end, each would receive an A, B or C designation. Club A would host Club B on Sept. 30, and the winner would host Club C the following day. The winner of that game would be the division champ.

Think of this almost like a draft, and the team with the "first pick" can choose the scenario it likes best. A team might rather play two games than one if it gets to host both, which is why a team might choose to be Club A over Club C. On the other hand, a team could choose Club C designation if it wants to rest a certain pitcher and take its chance in one winner-take-all game, even if it is on the road.

Selection order would be based on the head-to-head records (i.e. Cardinalsí combined winning percentage vs. Cubs and Brewers, Cubsí combined winning percentage vs. Cardinals and Brewers, and Brewersí combined winning percentage vs. Cardinals and Cubs).

Also of important note here: If all three of these teams were tied not just for the division but for the second Wild Card spot, then the loser of the second game would be declared the Wild Card club.

If either of you guys would like to make a charity bet on the Brewers winning the division, I'll take that action.
    You already got me once!

I'm not going to take the bet. The reason is that I don't want to see it happen. I don't want Milwaukee to win the division.

Sorry, Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    I still can't believe that the Brewers have clawed their way back in to this damn thing.
    The Cubs can look in the mirror for this. Five games up on them with 3 games to go in Milwaukee, we were on the brink of ending their season. I think if we took one of those three they might have gone away. Taking those 3 games gave them all the confidence and momentum.

Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    Scenario: Three teams tie for a division title

This, too, is a mathematical possibility in the NL Central. Were the Cardinals, Cubs and Brewers to be deadlocked at seasonís end, each would receive an A, B or C designation. Club A would host Club B on Sept. 30, and the winner would host Club C the following day. The winner of that game would be the division champ.

Think of this almost like a draft, and the team with the "first pick" can choose the scenario it likes best. A team might rather play two games than one if it gets to host both, which is why a team might choose to be Club A over Club C. On the other hand, a team could choose Club C designation if it wants to rest a certain pitcher and take its chance in one winner-take-all game, even if it is on the road.

Selection order would be based on the head-to-head records (i.e. Cardinalsí combined winning percentage vs. Cubs and Brewers, Cubsí combined winning percentage vs. Cardinals and Brewers, and Brewersí combined winning percentage vs. Cardinals and Cubs).

Also of important note here: If all three of these teams were tied not just for the division but for the second Wild Card spot, then the loser of the second game would be declared the Wild Card club.
    Right. I wrote that already. The question is if the 3 teams tied for the division and for both WC spots. Maybe itís the same process, and the Monday loser gets WC2, Monday winner plays the Cubs for the division/WC1. Then the WC game. Itís unclear.

Iím not sure what theyíd do. The alternate option to using head to head as the tiebreaker puts all 3 at a pretty big disadvantage. Basically the Cards and Brewers play either way. The question is if they call that the WC game and send the winner to LA or if they have the winner play the Cubs the next day and the losers play the WC the day after that and then the winner of that goes to LA. Maybe they just play it out. But in theory the Brewers could play Sunday in Denver, Monday in Milwaukee, Tuesday in Milwaukee, Wednesday in STL, Thursday in LA, Friday in LA. That would be pretty wild.
    I just posted it two posts up. Check it out

Not a waste of time at all when the stakes are, one team goes against the Braves, one goes against the Dodgers, and one goes home. Definitely seems like the sort of thing you'd want to resolve on the field.
    No. If all 3 tie one wins the division and the other 2 are the wild card. That is the scenario I am asking about. I might be thinking about when there was only 1 WC team. I feel the team with the best record in head to head won the division and the other was the wild card.

I guess in the scenario of all 3 teams being playoff teams anyway, the bottom 2 would play each other. The winner would play team with the best record in head to head for the division. The loser of that game then goes into the wild card where it plays the team that lost the first game.

I also wonder if home field would be awarded to the team with the best overall against the others, as well as only playing 1 game?

Right. I wrote that already. The question is if the 3 teams tied for the division and for both WC spots. Maybe itís the same process, and the Monday loser gets WC2, Monday winner plays the Cubs for the division/WC1. Then the WC game. Itís unclear.
    I thought you posted three teams tying for the WC spot, with Milwaukee winning the division.

What I posted is when 3 teams tied for the division. Which is what I thought we were now talking about.
    Last edited by thawv; 09-18-2019 at 11:46 AM.

If either of you guys would like to make a charity bet on the Brewers winning the division, I'll take that action.
    What is your stance? You want to bet on the Brewers winning the division, or you do not think they will win the division? I don't necessarily want to bet. I am just wondering what you think will happen?

For the division title, Cubs will basically have to go no worse then 8-3, rest of way, taking 5 of 7 from the Cardinals.

7-4, could get them a WC spot but will need the Brewers to obviously go 6-5, and to pass the Nats, they would need to go 5-7...

So, IMO, the Cubs better have their game on against the Cardinals and win both series because odds are the Brewers and Nats are gonna finish better then what I mentioned above..

I know they cant win all their games but of their last 11 losses..

Swept 3 by the Nats , and losing 5 of 7 from the Brewers down the stretch here, hurts cause they're battling both teams for a playoff spot...

Then losing 2 to the Padres and last night to the Reds, hurts alot because at this point in the season those are teams you need to just go out and beat up on now..

These last 11 games, they better be ready to battle, especially against the Cardinals and not shittt the bed..

I remember saying 18 wins to get the division a couple weeks ago, that basically what it'll end up at now.
    Last edited by chibears55; 09-18-2019 at 11:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    I thought you posted three teams tying for the WC spot, with Milwaukee winning the division.

What I posted is when 3 teams tied for the division. Which is what I thought we were now talking about.
    No, the scenario rcal brought up is that all 3 teams are tied for the division, but all 3 teams pass Washington so all 3 make the playoffs either way. So itís just a matter of sorting out who has the division, who is WC1, who is WC2.

Brewers are 13-3 this month but still have a negative run differential and are an under .500 club based on Pythagorean results. Canít believe that BS.

Cards 9-8 this month and Cubs 9-7 this month. Cubs needed to be better than basically a .500 club this month. Make the last 11 games count boys.

Page 28 of 48 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast