Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

(79-70) Red Sox Vs. Giants (72-78)

Game 1: Tuesday September 17th at 7:10 PM

Nathan Eovaldi (1-0) (5.81 ERA)
    Eovaldi will make his sixth start since rejoining the rotation in mid-August. He threw 93 pitches in his last outing, his most since coming off the injured list on July 22.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Logan Webb (1-2) (6.75 ERA
    Webb gave up four runs over 4 2/3 innings against the Pirates in his last start on Wednesday. The 22-year-old rookie has allowed 12 runs (11 earned) over 7 1/3 innings across his past two outings. Webb is set to face the Red Sox for the first time.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Game 2: Wednesday September 18th at 7:10 PM

Jhoulys Chacin (3-10) (5.44 ERA)
    Chacin will make his fourth appearance (third start) since joining the Red Sox. He's yet to allow a run over 5 2/3 innings with Boston, while striking out seven and allowing just two hits.
    Jeff Samardzija (10-12) (3.72 ERA)
    Samardzija was charged with the loss after giving up four runs over 6 1/3 innings against the Pirates on Thursday. He is 1-2 with a 6.75 ERA in four career appearances (three starts) against the Red Sox.
    Game 3: Thursday September 19th at 1:05 PM

Eduardo Rodriguez (17-6) (3.64 ERA)
    Rodriguez took a no-decision Saturday against the Phillies despite allowing only one run and striking out a season-high 12 batters over 6 2/3 innings. He will need to win each of his final three starts to join the exclusive 20-win club.
    Madison Bumgarner (9-8) (3.73 ERA)
    Bumgarner did not factor into the decision Saturday despite holding the Marlins to two runs over seven innings. He is 4 1/3 innings away from securing his seventh career 200-inning campaign and his first since 2016.
    Let's go for another sweep! Hopefully E-Rod will join the 20 club

How does a team go from an historical season by winning 108 games and the WS too whatever the hell this team is?

Quote Originally Posted by BSF101 View Post
    How does a team go from an historical season by winning 108 games and the WS too whatever the hell this team is?
    Look at the past records. Very hard to do. But I'm not angry we are not going to the WS. I'm upset on the lack of help that DD did. There is always next year. I root for RS no matter what. Yes it's upsetting but nothing you can do to change that. DD was the biggest problem. He's gone. 2020 will be different and we will come out hungry.

Can 2020 come soon enough? The one step forward two back season has driven fans away.A friend called and said he would rather follow the little league once the sox fell 16 games behind.Last season the band wagon was over flowing.

Quote Originally Posted by BSF101 View Post
    Echoing SF85, it is more common than you'd think. Even the very-young Cubs WS winner dropped off by 11 games. Granted, that's a lot better than the current Red Sox.

Quote Originally Posted by Soxfan85 View Post
    Look at the past records. Very hard to do. But I'm not angry we are not going to the WS. I'm upset on the lack of help that DD did. There is always next year. I root for RS no matter what. Yes it's upsetting but nothing you can do to change that. DD was the biggest problem. He's gone. 2020 will be different and we will come out hungry.
    I think that DD shares a good bit of blame. The BP lost significant pieces and relied on a lot of unproven pieces -- or pieces that had regressed when pushed into higher leverage roles. Pierce was a nice pickup last year but silly to invest in for 2019. Too sentimental. I had high hopes for Eovaldi but rotation deficiencies were the biggest challenge and his lack of track record as an every day SP made that a suspect decision. Resigning Sale may turn out fine but it was also questionable given the payroll situation and Sale finishing last season with health issues.

Cora needs to take some heat, too. The SP was coddled too much in ST and the first few weeks. I'm okay with lightening the load but the results of Cora's 2019 approach are pretty poor. The next-man-up BP lacked durability without some clear-cut roles. Of course, the SP contributed to that as well. It's a far cry from the magic touch of 2018.

The offense, though potent, was much less consistent. At the end of the day, the players win and lose the games. They share some of the blame as well.

And I still check the box score every day. What can I say? It's like dating the girl that you know is two-timing you but you can't stay away...