Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 495 of 516 FirstFirst ... 395445485493494495496497505 ... LastLast
Results 7,411 to 7,425 of 7726
  1. #7411
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    13,514
    Quote Originally Posted by Switch View Post
    Those 2 aren't going anywhere any time soon. They have been mediocre with personnel decisions.
    Agree with you there. I didn't expect at this point of Gruden's second campaign that we'd be looking at some of the same problems that we had before we hired him. But here we are. But at least the offense seems to be going in the right direction.

  2. #7412
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    13,514
    Quote Originally Posted by HunterNRoss View Post
    https://twitter.com/jimayello/status...03164956733440

    League source says Colts were among the teams that checked in on Raiders starting quarterback Derek Carr. Received a pretty firm "not available."
    Carr on Indy would make that a very, very dangerous team.

    But it looks like it's Wentz's spot now.
    Last edited by RaiderLakersA's; 02-18-2021 at 06:47 PM.

  3. #7413
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    5,701
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiderLakersA's View Post
    Carr on Indy would make that a very, very dangerous team.

    But it looks like it's Wentz's spot now.
    They should trade Carr while he has value. He is a good QB but our team isn't ready to win a title for the next 2-3 years if not longer. We will need a top 5 defense and Carr playing @ the level he was playing when he broke his leg to have a shot at the Super Bowl. But Gruden seems to care more about drafting flashy corners and WR's ala the old Al Davis way. If we don't start drafting defensive studs and stop reaching for guys i.e. Arnette, Hayden, Ferrell, Conley etc etc we will never win.

  4. #7414
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    431
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiderLakersA's View Post
    Agree with you there. I didn't expect at this point of Gruden's second campaign that we'd be looking at some of the same problems that we had before we hired him.
    I kind of did worry about it, honestly. People totally overrated Gruden's first stint here. Yes, he brought some measure of modernized offense that had been lacking for too long, and he did a good job getting guys to consistently compete.

    But people also forgot about the negatives, like his penchant for conservative playcalling and game management, his complete lack of interest in coaching the defense, and his questionable personnel evaluation abilities.

    The fact that his predecessors and successors were awful, does not mean that he was great. Truthfully, his last year to me was a big disappointment even before the Tuck rule game ... and that call being what everyone talked about probably bailed him out of having to answer a lot of uncomfortable questions about some of his decision making in that game.

  5. #7415
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nor Cal
    Posts
    1,444
    Quote Originally Posted by lamar2006 View Post
    They should trade Carr while he has value. He is a good QB but our team isn't ready to win a title for the next 2-3 years if not longer. We will need a top 5 defense and Carr playing @ the level he was playing when he broke his leg to have a shot at the Super Bowl. But Gruden seems to care more about drafting flashy corners and WR's ala the old Al Davis way. If we don't start drafting defensive studs and stop reaching for guys i.e. Arnette, Hayden, Ferrell, Conley etc etc we will never win.
    Always looking for the one player that no one gave credit to. Just to feed his ego. I wish Jon would just take the sure fire options in rd 1-3. Save the savvy picks for rd 4-7.

    Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk


    IN CHUCKY WE TRUST

  6. #7416
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    5,554
    Quote Originally Posted by lamar2006 View Post
    They should trade Carr while he has value. He is a good QB but our team isn't ready to win a title for the next 2-3 years if not longer. We will need a top 5 defense and Carr playing @ the level he was playing when he broke his leg to have a shot at the Super Bowl. But Gruden seems to care more about drafting flashy corners and WR's ala the old Al Davis way. If we don't start drafting defensive studs and stop reaching for guys i.e. Arnette, Hayden, Ferrell, Conley etc etc we will never win.
    So who will replace Carr?

  7. #7417
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    18,017
    Quote Originally Posted by raidermike View Post
    Always looking for the one player that no one gave credit to. Just to feed his ego. I wish Jon would just take the sure fire options in rd 1-3. Save the savvy picks for rd 4-7.

    Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Yeah, theyíve outsmarted themselves in the draft. Far too many reaches, IMO.

    Iím optimist about Ferrell ó he was good last year and he was starting to get pressure. Heís going to be good in Ď21. Ruggs has potential... but only if he works hard. Seems like he has his head on his shoulders, tho.

    Abrams and Arnette are bad. Jacobs only has another 1-2 years before heís worn out. Terrible picks.

  8. #7418
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    5,554
    Jacobs is the best draft in years. Abrams needs to improve, Arnette needs to stay on the field. Ruggs was used more as a decoy. Is it possible Agholar did OK because Ruggs drew a lot of attention? He did make some nice catches, so I give him another year.

  9. #7419
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    3,041
    Quote Originally Posted by Shred003 View Post
    Yeah, theyíve outsmarted themselves in the draft. Far too many reaches, IMO.

    Iím optimist about Ferrell ó he was good last year and he was starting to get pressure. Heís going to be good in Ď21. Ruggs has potential... but only if he works hard. Seems like he has his head on his shoulders, tho.

    Abrams and Arnette are bad. Jacobs only has another 1-2 years before heís worn out. Terrible picks.
    Hope your right with Ferrell & Ruggs.

    Abrams really needs to get his head straight, but with his coverage skills I just don't see him as a long term answer at safety. Definitely a poor pick for a first rounder.

    Arnette was a rookie and had a injured hand/wrist in a cast all season. It generally takes a couple seasons for CB's to "mature" to the NFL speed so I'm not ready to state he was a another wasted pick, but I am tired of continuing to whiff on CB's.

    I like Jacobs, but don't agree with picking RB's in the first round. They just don't make the impact like 20 years ago where its justified taking one with premium draft picks. Barkely? Gordon? Elliot? have they really made a significant impact on their teams? I would say not to the level of where they were selected. Use your first round picks for O line, D Line QB & LB's or the occasional "once in a generation" player that comes along.

    Just a another "tired of losing" fans opinion...

  10. #7420
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,185
    Quote Originally Posted by mmbt View Post
    I kind of did worry about it, honestly. People totally overrated Gruden's first stint here. Yes, he brought some measure of modernized offense that had been lacking for too long, and he did a good job getting guys to consistently compete.

    But people also forgot about the negatives, like his penchant for conservative playcalling and game management, his complete lack of interest in coaching the defense, and his questionable personnel evaluation abilities.

    The fact that his predecessors and successors were awful, does not mean that he was great. Truthfully, his last year to me was a big disappointment even before the Tuck rule game ... and that call being what everyone talked about probably bailed him out of having to answer a lot of uncomfortable questions about some of his decision making in that game.
    I agree. That last season many will remember the tuck rule game and not how the Raiders went 2-4 in the final 6 games (with 3 straight losses) and more specifically, losing a must game finale against the Jets to secure the #2 seed and not having to face those same Jets in a wildcard game. The tuck rule game itself was mismanaged as well.



    "..And then the Raiders drafted the Knight in Shining Armor Prince Quarterback. Then they went on to win the Super Bowl. All the women in the kingdom cheered and they lived happily ever after...""

  11. #7421
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    431
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldog2683 View Post
    I agree. That last season many will remember the tuck rule game and not how the Raiders went 2-4 in the final 6 games (with 3 straight losses) and more specifically, losing a must game finale against the Jets to secure the #2 seed and not having to face those same Jets in a wildcard game. The tuck rule game itself was mismanaged as well.
    Yeah, if we'd not had that late season fade (a familiar pattern with his teams), we not only avoid an extra game, but if we did play the Pats it would have been at home and not in the snow, which would have been to our advantage.

    And while everyone talks about the call at the end, we honestly could/should have won that game. The call let Jon off the hook since that's all anyone talked about, but he did not do a good coaching job either down the stretch or in that game.

    And even the year before, while I think our O was a bad matchup against the Ravens' D, his game plan against Bal was frankly not good ... it was obvious very early on that Jon's "script" needed to be abandoned and he just refused to do it. He doesn't seem to accept that sometimes his pre-game plan isn't 100% correct. I think it's ego, where he thinks he's too smart and too hardworking to be wrong.

    Look, I wasn't against bringing him back. He's not a terrible coach, and there are far worse choices out there. But he's not top shelf either, and definitely did not warrant a huge 10 year deal. He was a safe, familiar choice. But flawed.

  12. #7422
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    The Garden of Eden...New Jersey
    Posts
    16,296
    Re: the Raven game. We blitzed on 4th and 18 on their 4. They just wanted to punt properly....we gave them the game. Genius.

    Tuck game? Couldn't get a yard when we needed it. Couldn't stop the all-time great Jermaine Wiggins. Genius.

    Gruden is great on TV, but he is a very mediocre head coach. He's lucky that Callahan didn't change anything or he might have already been forgotten.

    -Stork
    "Win some games, make the playoffs and show me you got some balls under the bright lights"

    -tippa irie

  13. #7423
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Corona, Ca
    Posts
    18,643
    It was the only time so far that Mark has gone away from his mantra of listening to smarter people. It was his white whale and itís looking more and more like a mistake.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  14. #7424
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    15,116
    Gruden would be a better coach with a better record if he stayed out of personnel decision making. It's what killed his Tampa stint to begin with
    Quote Originally Posted by Proximo View Post
    Carr may very well be the worst starting QB in Raiders history. Carr is like a root canal that takes 8 hrs. The Raiders have stuck with this bum going on 7 seasons! All they have to show for it is excuses. I hope Mariorta runs him out of training camp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proximo View Post
    Sounds as though Mayock is waxing the Pinto and installing fake leather seat covers and chrome hubcaps before posting it on Craigslist.

  15. #7425
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,185
    Quote Originally Posted by themadstork View Post
    Re: the Raven game. We blitzed on 4th and 18 on their 4. They just wanted to punt properly....we gave them the game. Genius.

    Tuck game? Couldn't get a yard when we needed it. Couldn't stop the all-time great Jermaine Wiggins. Genius.

    Gruden is great on TV, but he is a very mediocre head coach. He's lucky that Callahan didn't change anything or he might have already been forgotten.

    -Stork
    Yea, to allow one of the most anemic offenses to ever reach a super bowl a 96 touchdown on one play was a blessing for the Ravens.



    "..And then the Raiders drafted the Knight in Shining Armor Prince Quarterback. Then they went on to win the Super Bowl. All the women in the kingdom cheered and they lived happily ever after...""

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •