Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 94 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast
    Just stop it, you can't compare Carr to Brees. Drew is a proven qb in crunch time.
    Also we were in every game last year but one. If Drew was our qb we have 10 wins easy. Once again Carr has been good his first two years. But it's time to man up and lead this team to wins and a playoff birth. Everything is in place. This debate will be over at the end of this season. If Carr does have some guts we will make the playoffs. If he is content with smiling on the sidelines while the other team is on a game winning drive. Well then time to see what Connor can do cause he has some spit and piss to him

Personally, I think we should trade for Hundley if/when Carr fails.

Carr just needs to get better and fix/learn some things and bolster his strengths as well as lead this team, it is vital to our success. Everything is coming around and he needs to as well. Bottom line.
    There's times I see him do great, there's times when I see quirks and poor execution, you'd be blind not to see it.

"...prone to stoogery.".

Quote Originally Posted by dogdaddy View Post
    You know... Drew Brees went basically went unnoticed last year only going 7-9. However nobody could stop him. If he had anything that resembled a defense, he would have went 12-4 and probably the mvp of the league. Again, Carr will improve IMO but if he doesn't, our record will improve with the upgraded roster.. I know it and you do too. Reason I know that because you are a smart man....

So If that qb has more to say about who wins more games that any other position, Why didn't Breese win more games? NO DEFENSE
    Imagine how bad they'd have been with Carr at the helm.

I'm far more concerned with details like time management, performing an acceptable handoff and being able to function outside shotgun than I am about stats. Some consistency would be nice too.

Winning is the only thing.

-Stork
    "Win some games, make the playoffs and show me you got some balls under the bright lights"

-tippa irie

Derek Carr Discussion: Vol. 2

On a side note...it's nice to get back to the business of Raider football.

-Stork
    "Win some games, make the playoffs and show me you got some balls under the bright lights"

-tippa irie

I really hope he continues to improve.

But at today's practice that was open to fans, he was staring down his receivers, and paid for it. McGloin and Cook looked better from that standpoint. All 3 can throw the ball.
    The autumn wind is a Raider

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Pedaso View Post
    I really hope he continues to improve.

But at today's practice that was open to fans, he was staring down his receivers, and paid for it. McGloin and Cook looked better from that standpoint. All 3 can throw the ball.
    Scott Bair ‏@BairCSN Aug 9
    Couldn't think of instances (if any) where Derek Carr had thrown a pick in team drills. Just had one. Sailed one, intercepted by Amerson

Joseph also got one on Carr today.

Overall Carr has done really well in training camp. No one has reported he's staring down WRs. Has made very few mistakes.

Maybe McGloin and Cook had a good few drives but they both have honestly been really bad this training camp. McGloin has thrown like 8 picks and 3 pick 6s and Cook like 6 picks and 1 pick 6. McGloin has also fumbled a few times. There is a big gap between Carr and McGloin/Cook.

Quote Originally Posted by HunterNRoss View Post
    Scott Bair ‏@BairCSN Aug 9
    Couldn't think of instances (if any) where Derek Carr had thrown a pick in team drills. Just had one. Sailed one, intercepted by Amerson

Joseph also got one on Carr today.

Overall Carr has done really well in training camp. No one has reported he's staring down WRs. Has made very few mistakes.

Maybe McGloin and Cook had a good few drives but they both have honestly been really bad this training camp. McGloin has thrown like 8 picks and 3 pick 6s and Cook like 6 picks and 1 pick 6. McGloin has also fumbled a few times. There is a big gap between Carr and McGloin/Cook.
    Such a large discrepancy in what people report goes on during camp. I do not know who to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by themadstork View Post
    Imagine how bad they'd have been with Carr at the helm.

I'm far more concerned with details like time management, performing an acceptable handoff and being able to function outside shotgun than I am about stats. Some consistency would be nice too.

Winning is the only thing.

-Stork
    Finally you seen my point!!! A poor team like New Orleans with an all star qb like Brees only goes 7 and 9.... And your saying Carr would have done worse! Exactly. Carr isn't anything near what Brees has been. My point all along has been good or great or even bad.... Qb's are as good as their team... Period

Your welcome Stork, LOL this will be a fun year!

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog2683 View Post
    Such a large discrepancy in what people report goes on during camp. I do not know who to believe.
    I trust Hunter more than anyone when it comes to reporting news from camp. He is also one of the most objective people on the forum.

Last year Carr improved in two categories most people thought he struggled in his rookie year. 1st in pushing the ball down the field. The biggest argument against him his rookie year was YPA that he was a check down artist. He significantly improved that. The 2nd was his performance against pressure. He was very bad against it his rookie year. Last year he improved significantly against the blitz. In fact he was one of the best against blitzes. He struggled against non blitz pressure. Not surprisingly that is the toughest thing for any QB to deal with.

I think he could significantly improve his play this year without increasing his passing stats by doing two things. Learn to throw the ball away when nothing is there. He does force it sometimes leading to turnovers. Two pull it down and run he has the speed to get some yards on the ground just please no stiff arms with his throwing hand and slide get out of bounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevj77 View Post
    I trust Hunter more than anyone when it comes to reporting news from camp. He is also one of the most objective people on the forum.

Last year Carr improved in two categories most people thought he struggled in his rookie year. 1st in pushing the ball down the field. The biggest argument against him his rookie year was YPA that he was a check down artist. He significantly improved that. The 2nd was his performance against pressure. He was very bad against it his rookie year. Last year he improved significantly against the blitz. In fact he was one of the best against blitzes. He struggled against non blitz pressure. Not surprisingly that is the toughest thing for any QB to deal with.

I think he could significantly improve his play this year without increasing his passing stats by doing two things. Learn to throw the ball away when nothing is there. He does force it sometimes leading to turnovers. Two pull it down and run he has the speed to get some yards on the ground just please no stiff arms with his throwing hand and slide get out of bounds.
    Thank you. I try to be very objective. Carr is a guy I admit i can be somewhat biased on at times being Im from Bakersfield and so I root for the players from my hometown.

Carr improve from year 1 and thats even with the less play towards the end of last season. I feel like some people feel that if he is not a top 5 QB he isnt good. As you stated and I have said prior I feel he can show improvement year 3 without a big increase in stats.

If we go at least 9-7 with Carr at 3500 yards and 30td/8int without any major late game throws I would be happy with Carr. Basically an Improved Alex Smith/Andy Dalton type season. Sure Carr turning into a Rodgers, Favre, Big Ben type player would be estatic. Just dont feel he has to turn top 5 QB to be a solid franchise QB for us. I do expect a step up this year. Soon enough here we will find out.

Maybe it's just the video game player in me, or the economist who loves efficiency and accomplishing multiple things at the same time.
    So, doing the 2nd option will also help achieve the 1st option. If nothing's there, don't force it, see if there is an opening and pick up some yards with your feet, it doesn't have to be a lot, even 1 or 2 yards so long as he's being smart and sliding with his feet/protecting the ball is just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by HunterNRoss View Post

Maybe McGloin and Cook had a good few drives but they both have honestly been really bad this training camp. McGloin has thrown like 8 picks and 3 pick 6s and Cook like 6 picks and 1 pick 6. McGloin has also fumbled a few times. There is a big gap between Carr and
    McGloin/Cook.
    You've been at practice? These are first hand observations?

For me, training camp and especially tweets about training camp, mean very little. There is no conceivable way to gauge context.

Honestly, I can't really bring myself to get my panties in a twist about preseason.

Games soon, we'll know more shortly. But I do know this, should we suck, or even just start slowly...goodwill will go out the window quickly. It's a put up or shut up year for the Oakland Raiders.

-Stork

-tippa irie

Training camp and preseason games are for how your going to fill out the roster and settle any starting positions. Nothing more or nothing less. Farve use to say he would purposely throw a ball high or behind in preseason to see if the receiver would go get it.. for what its worth.

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog2683 View Post

As much as I appreciate Hunter's posts, you should listen to the guy who actually at practice (mr. Pedaso)

Page 4 of 94 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast