Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 381 of 393 FirstFirst ... 281331371379380381382383391 ... LastLast
Results 5,701 to 5,715 of 5881
    Quote Originally Posted by mberr View Post
    That was a franchise changing draft and it's sad that they failed to build on it in later years makes you think: wtf happened with the RM drafts before and after 2014?! 3 pro bowl- quality players in rounds 1-3 plus 3 starters (+ Seth Roberts) in the 7th and UDFA is insane.
    Just goes to show how unpredictable scouting can be. That year suggests RM does have some eye for talent. No one gets that lucky in one year by accident.

Unfortunately, nailing one draft isn't enough. I think the Seahawks got a SB win (and almost 2) out of a string of 3 great drafts. All one draft did for us was give us a little hope for mediocrity. But even if Carr had kept up his '16 play, we still were many players short of being a contender the last 3 years.

Let's hope Mayock's not a one hit wonder, too. Two straight strong drafts would almost assuredly make us a perennial playoff team within a year or two. Only one strong draft followed by a bunch of misses would just probably mean more years of bouncing between 6-9 wins.
    Last edited by mmbt; 05-13-2020 at 09:44 AM.

Imagine if they had gone Rodgers/Routt/Dominique Foxworth (or even better Justin Tuck or Brandon Jacobs) instead of Washington/Routt/Andrew Walters. Oh man, what could've been...

It's easy to nail a draft 15 years after the fact, which is why I think we'll always look back at the 2014 draft and know how rarely good that draft was, specially given that RM didn't have any other particularly good drafts afterwards. He mailed almost every pick in 2014:

1st: Mack
    2nd: Carr
    3rd: Gabe Jackson
    4th: Justin Ellis
    4th: Keith McGill
    7th: TJ Carrie
    7th: Shelby Harris
    7th: Jonathan Dowling
    UDFA: Denico Autry,
    UDFA: Seth Roberts

No need to say anything about the first 3 picks. Jelly wasn't great but he started 3 years in Oakland, got picked up by the Ravens, and resigned (granted, as a backup). McGill didn't do anything. TJ Carrie left the Raiders and is getting $7.5M/yr from the Browns. Shelby Harris has been a decent starter for the Broncos since 2017. Dowling didn't do anything. Denico Autry has been a decent starter for the Colts for 2 years. Seth Roberts has done some things in the NFL and it's now on his 4th NFL contact.

That was a franchise changing draft and it's sad that they failed to build on it in later years makes you think: wtf happened with the RM drafts before and after 2014?! 3 pro bowl- quality players in rounds 1-3 plus 3 starters (+ Seth Roberts) in the 7th and UDFA is insane.
    2017 ruined that window of opportunity. Del Rio lost the team they underachieved and it cost him his job.

Del Rio went 25-23 in his three seasons in Oakland and he hardly deserved the firing squad in fact he is only winning coach in the last 18 years of Raiders football.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mmbt View Post
    Just goes to show how unpredictable scouting can be. That year suggests RM does have some eye for talent. No one gets that lucky in one year by accident.

Unfortunately, nailing one draft isn't enough. I think the Seahawks a SB win (and almost 2) out of a string of 3 great drafts. All one draft did for us was give us a little hope for mediocrity. But even if Carr had kept up his '16 play, we still were many players short of being a contender the last 3 years.

Let's hope Mayock's not a one hit wonder, too. Two straight strong drafts would almost assuredly make us a perennial playoff team within a year or two. Only one strong draft followed by a bunch of misses would just probably mean more years of bouncing between 6-9 wins.
    And in todayís NFL, the draft is even more important. Teams are only able to keep certain pieces at market value. That is why I want Raiders to keep getting draft picks. If you look at the Patriots, it seems like every year they have 10 draft picks. As mentioned, scouting reports on players are hit or miss. More picks means more opportunities at finding a good player.

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog2683 View Post
    And in todayís NFL, the draft is even more important. Teams are only able to keep certain pieces at market value. That is why I want Raiders to keep getting draft picks. If you look at the Patriots, it seems like every year they have 10 draft picks. As mentioned, scouting reports on players are hit or miss. More picks means more opportunities at finding a good player.
    Acquiring more picks means giving up more assets

If you closely examine New Englands draft picks over the last couple of years, their picks have been mediocre at best

Imagine if they had gone Rodgers/Routt/Dominique Foxworth (or even better Justin Tuck or Brandon Jacobs) instead of Washington/Routt/Andrew Walters. Oh man, what could've been...

It's easy to nail a draft 15 years after the fact, which is why I think we'll always look back at the 2014 draft and know how rarely good that draft was, specially given that RM didn't have any other particularly good drafts afterwards. He mailed almost every pick in 2014:

1st: Mack
    2nd: Carr
    3rd: Gabe Jackson
    4th: Justin Ellis
    4th: Keith McGill
    7th: TJ Carrie
    7th: Shelby Harris
    7th: Jonathan Dowling
    UDFA: Denico Autry,
    UDFA: Seth Roberts

No need to say anything about the first 3 picks. Jelly wasn't great but he started 3 years in Oakland, got picked up by the Ravens, and resigned (granted, as a backup). McGill didn't do anything. TJ Carrie left the Raiders and is getting $7.5M/yr from the Browns. Shelby Harris has been a decent starter for the Broncos since 2017. Dowling didn't do anything. Denico Autry has been a decent starter for the Colts for 2 years. Seth Roberts has done some things in the NFL and it's now on his 4th NFL contact.

Hindsight is a *****

I don't there is a single GM out there that nails every single draft

That 14' draft was legendary for RM. He nailed it

Quote Originally Posted by mmbt View Post

Unfortunately, nailing one draft isn't enough. I think the Seahawks a SB win (and almost 2) out of a string of 3 great drafts. All one draft did for us was give us a little hope for mediocrity. But even if Carr had kept up his '16 play, we still were many players short of being a contender the last 3 years.

Player development is a big part of the equation as well, so I think the coaches deserve blame too. A lot of guys showed promise early on then didn't develop or regressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Proximo View Post
    2017 ruined that window of opportunity. Del Rio lost the team they underachieved and it cost him his job.

Del Rio went 25-23 in his three seasons in Oakland and he hardly deserved the firing squad in fact he is only winning coach in the last 18 years of Raiders football.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Add Cable at 8-8 to the list.

ďWeíre no longer losers.Ē
    The Second protects the First, always has and always will...

Quote Originally Posted by GREATNESS ONE View Post
    Paywall content ......

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog2683 View Post
    Paywall content ......

Does that say itís measuring starts by pro bowlers?

Haha

Quote Originally Posted by Indy Raider View Post
    Does that say itís measuring starts by pro bowlers?

Haha
    I think itís even measuring a players ability by total pro-bowls theyíve played in. So because MJD was in multiple pro bowls, he was a great weapon for us. Not positive, but looks like thatís how they counted it.
    Last edited by FarOutIos; 05-16-2020 at 12:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FarOutIos View Post
    I think itís even measuring a players ability by total pro-bowls theyíve played in. So because MJD was in multiple pro bowls, he was a great weapon for us. Not positive, but looks like thatís how they counted it.
    It only counts starts by pro bowlers in the year they were pro bowlers (not alternates).

They had 5 players listed for raiders, amari Cooper and 4 offensive linemen.

I must agree, I think Mariota will see the field sooner rather than later. There is no place in football for fear or panic. It is costing us yards in a game of inches.

Quote Originally Posted by chibberaider View Post
    I must agree, I think Mariota will see the field sooner rather than later. There is no place in football for fear or panic. It is costing us yards in a game of inches.

Seriously? How many more times will you be wrong? Carr had the best QBR vs the blitz last season. Posting one clip to try to fit your narrative is laughable. Even more laughable that the twitter guy has a whopping 16 followers. Nice try though