Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 400 of 423 FirstFirst ... 300350390398399400401402410 ... LastLast
Results 5,986 to 6,000 of 6337
    Iím hoping Carr doesnít have to carry this team. Just protect the ball. I liked that he threw short to our running backs. Last few years throwing short of the sticks on outs to receivers drove me nuts. Our wr had his back to the sticks rarely getting an opportunity to turn and get a first. Yesterday he did it the Brady way. Dump off to a running back who is in stride going forward one on one verse a backer. That is a better recipe for moving the sticks. Letting guys catch the ball going forward instead of running toward the sidelines. Like early in the game. Run your pattern in the end zone not three yards short. Defenders are to damn fast there is no time to turn up field and make a guy miss. Usually youíre getting tackled while catching the pass. We won Iíll take that!

My issue with Carr?

He never puts opponents away. Yeah, he has a lot of fourth quarter comebacks / wins, but thatís also because he never contributes to the Raiders putting a game out of reach in the 2nd / 3rd quarters.

The biggest step this franchise needs to take is the ability to put opponents away, IMO.

Spot on. I donít know if it falls on Carr not simply just not executing. Grudenís play calling down the stretch creating too many predictable passing situations or both. But the offense needs to put teams away when playing with a lead late in the 4th quarter.

On that last drive I was thinking here we go again and having flashbacks of 2019.

But...football is a game that gives as well as takes and those PI penalties kept moving the chains.

It wound be nice to see the victory formation more in 2020.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"We're not changing quarterbacks, Derek played great. Derek Carr played a super football game yesterday, no sacks, no interceptions, 34 points, did a great job throwing the ball accurately, tight windows, and made some great plays for us"

Jon Gruden

Quote Originally Posted by Proximo View Post
    Spot on. I donít know if it falls on Carr not simply just not executing. Grudenís play calling down the stretch creating too many predictable passing situations or both. But the offense needs to put teams away when playing with a lead late in the 4th quarter.

On that last drive I was thinking here we go again and having flashbacks of 2019.

But...football is a game that gives as well as takes and those PI penalties kept moving the chains.

Weíve had 6 years of Carr, so Iíve had plenty of time to see him play.

Heís really good in Ďdo or dieí scenarios. When he needs to make a play, he can. He chooses to play it safe entirely too often in games, often letting teams stay in games they shouldnít.

I'd have to go back and look, but I seem to remember a lot of games from the first Gruden era where it seemed like scores were closer than they needed to be, and we'd dominate a game but only be up 10 or so late and still need a defensive play or two to secure victory. So it may just be Gruden's philosophy, where he prioritizes chewing up clock with a lead as opposed to going for a KO, failing, and taking under a minute off the clock in the process.

I'll say that if Atlanta and SF had focused on burning the clock in recent SBs, outcomes would certainly have been different.

Quote Originally Posted by mmbt View Post
    I'd have to go back and look, but I seem to remember a lot of games from the first Gruden era where it seemed like scores were closer than they needed to be, and we'd dominate a game but only be up 10 or so late and still need a defensive play or two to secure victory. So it may just be Gruden's philosophy, where he prioritizes chewing up clock with a lead as opposed to going for a KO, failing, and taking under a minute off the clock in the process.

I'll say that if Atlanta and SF had focused on burning the clock in recent SBs, outcomes would certainly have been different.
    My memory on that is Gruden has always been conservative. He sits on a lead with the best of them, which is totally fine if your defense is anchored by Reggie White or someone like that. But when it's not, I would prefer that the team keep ratcheting up the pressure until the opponent either taps out or passes out.

That's not to say that the Raiders during Gruden's first tenure didn't have a few blowouts. I seem to recall a thorough beat down of Tony Dungy's vaunted Tampa Bay Bucs defense 45-0 during one of those seasons. But that didn't happen often. If the Raiders can turn the outlier into more of the norm this season, we'd all be happy.

We forced them to punt 2 x. Not happy with that. Nice stop in the end though. I expected that sort of game. like a pre season game where whoever has the ball last wins. I thought is we were behind on that last drive, then we put it in the end zone. We just sat on it.

Carr will never have that killer instinct. It isnít his character. Hence we never win a Super Bowl with him as our QB. Think about it does a true competitor like Brady, Rodgers, Wilson, Big Ben guys with grit. Are they going to get cute/silly during a game by joking around with ďCindy Gruden ď audibles? This game was never in the bag. Be a fricking man and grow up. He really is a pansy. Itís why you see the guy giggling on the sidelines during losses the last few years. All he seems interested in is a high completion percentage and being a likable guy. Iíd rather have guts and grit guy. You wanna be cute wait until you get home with your wife and kids. On Sundays how about playing a manís game like a man.
    Last edited by maledicent; 09-14-2020 at 06:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RaiderLakersA's View Post
    My memory on that is Gruden has always been conservative. He sits on a lead with the best of them, which is totally fine if your defense is anchored by Reggie White or someone like that. But when it's not, I would prefer that the team keep ratcheting up the pressure until the opponent either taps out or passes out.
    I'm starting to come around to the idea of grinding clock as the best option, at least for our team makeup this year. If we have an offense that's better at smash mouth than at quick strikes, then that's what you lean on. Trust that 4 quarters of grinding them down on the run game will have taken its toll on their D, and protect a leaky D by reducing the opponent's remaining possessions from 3 to 2, or 2 to 1.

Shanahan has twice gone for the KO instead of running the clock in the SB, and he HAD the supposed great defense. There's no guarantees when you're facing a great offense no matter how good your defense is.

It is nice to be on the positive end of those calls. They happen team either negatively or positively during every season. A penalty is a penalty, sometimes you toss the ball in an area in the hopes of getting one or maybe your receiver makes a catch. Risk it for the biscuit. I like it.

"...prone to stoogery.".

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfe-Raider View Post
    It is nice to be on the positive end of those calls. They happen team either negatively or positively during every season. A penalty is a penalty, sometimes you toss the ball in an area in the hopes of getting one or maybe your receiver makes a catch. Risk it for the biscuit. I like it.
    Exactly. How many times last year did the opposing team get bailed out when their QB threw into double/triple coverage and still managed to get a PI? I assume the ball won't always bounce the Raiders way, it never has. But benefiting from that and also seeing a Jon Gruden-esque run call from the Panthers to seal the game was nice for a change.

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog2683 View Post
    Exactly. How many times last year did the opposing team get bailed out when their QB threw into double/triple coverage and still managed to get a PI? I assume the ball won't always bounce the Raiders way, it never has. But benefiting from that and also seeing a Jon Gruden-esque run call from the Panthers to seal the game was nice for a change.
    I think all the PI calls yesterday were pretty legit, so I don't consider those lucky at all. What would have been lucky was getting bailed out by a marginal or phantom call. If that had happened I'd probably feel less pleased with the outcome.

I am rooting for Carr to play well but it is obvious that he gets flustered at any sign of pressure from the D. Heíll win some games but he will never separate himself as a QB that has killer instinct to win playoff games or championships.