Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 397 of 424 FirstFirst ... 297347387395396397398399407 ... LastLast
Results 5,941 to 5,955 of 6346
    Quote Originally Posted by LJ4ptplay View Post
    Plus letís wait for carr to be successful before declaring victory. For all we know, we could all be rooting for Mariota to heal up and take over in 3 weeks when we are 0-3.

I personally am NOT hoping for that, but....
    If Carr isn't the answer, Mariota damn sure isn't. I'll go on record for that and gladly eat crow if Mariota ever proves me wrong. The man was mostly hitting gophers in camp. Now he's out due to a pectoral injury. Sounds fishy. Must have broken his chest trying to hit the side of a blimp from 10 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by RaiderLakersA's View Post
    I suspect Derek's play this season will make this thread moot more than anything else.
    Let's all pray that it does. Success cures a lot of woe

"...prone to stoogery.".

Itís time to move on from Carr

I suspect Derek's play this season will make this thread moot more than anything else.
    Yep-the best way to shut up the critics is to play well. We will see...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Proximo; 09-08-2020 at 08:47 PM.

Carr needs to stay injury free, because it looks like we have no one to turn to. That being said. does this mean the running facet of Carr's game, which Gruden wanted, will be non existent, and a lot of throw aways?

Quote Originally Posted by dbacknick View Post
    Carr needs to stay injury free, because it looks like we have no one to turn to. That being said. does this mean the running facet of Carr's game, which Gruden wanted, will be non existent, and a lot of throw aways?
    You mean the same as it was last year, and the year before and the year before.....

Screw a bunch of being safe, weíre all in here.

Take some risk and win some games....
    The Second protects the First, always has and always will...

Quote Originally Posted by corralski View Post
    Screw a bunch of being safe, weíre all in here.

Take some risk and win some games....
    Personally, I think having so many losing seasons would be liberating in a sense. Approach the game with zero pressure and just ball out. It can't get any worse.

Besides, you have to push the ball downfield, or defenses will see you as very predictable. Even a Pop Warner coordinator will be able to shut you down if you field a predictable offense. That would be a different story if we had All World players at every position, but we don't.

Personally, I think having so many losing seasons would be liberating in a sense. Approach the game with zero pressure and just ball out. It can't get any worse.

Besides, you have to push the ball downfield, or defenses will see you as very predictable. Even a Pop Warner coordinator will be able to shut you down if you field a predictable offense. That would be a different story if we had All World players at every position, but we don't.
    Carr threw the ball away on a 4th down. Remember that? Thatís mentality.

Carrís issues have always been related to his mentality. If Gruden has helped him improve in that aspect, great. If not... gonna be another long, underwhelming season.

Quote Originally Posted by Shred003 View Post
    Carr threw the ball away on a 4th down. Remember that? Thatís mentality.

Carrís issues have always been related to his mentality. If Gruden has helped him improve in that aspect, great. If not... gonna be another long, underwhelming season.
    Hey, Shred, good hearing from you. Believe me, I'll never forget Carr throwing the ball away on that 4th down. Between that and the checkdowns I was at my wit's limit.

But I try to keep it all in perspective. Yes, Carr ditches the ball way too soon sometimes. But between the transverse process fracture to his spine back in 2017 and the crushed fibula in 2016, I figured he'd be a little squirrelly and traumatized still in 2018. Having the raving lunatic screaming at him from the sidelines probably didn't help a great deal with Carr's mental well-being. And let's face it, WR talent just wasn't there in 2018 or 2019. We also didn't have much of a consistent running attack until 2019. All this stuff adds up.

The kid is smart. He knows the offense like the back of his hand, which is more than I can say about other QBs that have been in some version of the WCO for longer. As far as I'm concerned, Carr's failure is Gruden's failure.

But this year he has to man up and get it done with aplomb and maybe a little bravado. Heck, I'll stand and applaud him if he throws the ball right at Gruden's head the next time he calls a conservative play designed to protect a small lead instead of going for the jugular.

Itís time to move on from Carr

That has always been my issue with Gruden. He never wants to fling it deep and views those pass attempts as potentially disrupting the schedule of his offense by throwing an incompletion or taking a sack.

This mindset as a play caller increasingly shackles our offense and condenses the field for the opposing defense itís further compounded when the QB lacks mobility or refuses to utilize it.

Carr has the arm to stretch the field when needed and the athleticism to extend plays with his feet.
    Itís all mental with him but Gruden can also help matters by attacking the field more aggressively with his play calling.

The talent is there. The coach and QB need to utilize it and if they canít this season the QB goes before the $100 million Head Coach does.

Last edited by Proximo; 09-10-2020 at 10:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Proximo View Post
    That has always been my issue with Gruden. He never wants to fling it deep and views those pass attempts as potentially disrupting the schedule of his offense by throwing an incompletion or taking a sack.

This mindset as a play caller increasingly shackles our offense and condenses the field for the opposing defense itís further compounded when the QB lacks mobility or refuses to utilize it.

Carr has the arm to stretch the field when needed and the athleticism to extend plays with his feet.
    Itís all mental with him but Gruden can also help matters by attacking the field more aggressively with his play calling.

The talent is there. The coach and QB need to utilize it and if they canít this season the QB goes before the $100 million Head Coach does.

I basically agree with this. I think Gruden is conservative by nature but I think that the lack of a defense has made him even more so. A lot of his play calling is meant to eat up clock and keep the defense off of the field. This is why I always believed that the best weapon the offense could receive was a better defense. I think that with a better defense Gruden would be more willing to take some shots down the field. Hopefully the defense improves enough to make this happen.

Quote Originally Posted by MackAttack88 View Post
    I basically agree with this. I think Gruden is conservative by nature but I think that the lack of a defense has made him even more so. A lot of his play calling is meant to eat up clock and keep the defense off of the field. This is why I always believed that the best weapon the offense could receive was a better defense. I think that with a better defense Gruden would be more willing to take some shots down the field. Hopefully the defense improves enough to make this happen.
    I disagree. Who exactly would we throw it deep to? I know we now have Ruggs, but before this season who was our deep threat weapon? Or the year before? The receiving core became horrendous after trading away our only deep threat and that was Cooper. Gruden isn't stupid. He knows the talent he has to work with and he maximized it to their strengths. He's not going to take deep shots downfield just to take deep shots. We now have Ruggs so expect more deep shots downfield.

Quote Originally Posted by Switch View Post
    I disagree. Who exactly would we throw it deep to? I know we now have Ruggs, but before this season who was our deep threat weapon? Or the year before? The receiving core became horrendous after trading away our only deep threat and that was Cooper. Gruden isn't stupid. He knows the talent he has to work with and he maximized it to their strengths. He's not going to take deep shots downfield just to take deep shots. We now have Ruggs so expect more deep shots downfield.
    Tyrell Williams was known as a deep threat in San Diego. I realize he was injured the second half of the season but during the first half he was not used as a downfield threat. His big plays came on crossing patterns. Waller could have been used as a downfield threat as well but was not. Gafford could have been used more. Bottom line is they could have thrown the ball downfield but chose not to. An occasional deep shot would have been nice to keep the defense honest.

Quote Originally Posted by MackAttack88 View Post
    Tyrell Williams was known as a deep threat in San Diego. I realize he was injured the second half of the season but during the first half he was not used as a downfield threat. His big plays came on crossing patterns. Waller could have been used as a downfield threat as well but was not. Gafford could have been used more. Bottom line is they could have thrown the ball downfield but chose not to. An occasional deep shot would have been nice to keep the defense honest.
    Tyrell Williams was injured in the 2nd game against the Chiefs. Missed a couple of games after that and wasn't 100 percent the rest of the season. He actually averaged 15 yard per reception when he did play. And we did use him downfield. Remember the first game the bomb he caught from Carr? Unfortunately his foot injury killed his season.

If a TE is our deep threat then we are in trouble . And you can't seriously depend on a practice squad receiver to be our deep threat. That is laughable. I'm surprised he made the roster this year. Must have impressed the coaches. Will be interesting to see how far he's developed
    Last edited by Switch; 09-10-2020 at 11:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Switch View Post
    Tyrell Williams was injured in the 2nd game against the Chiefs. Missed a couple of games after that and wasn't 100 percent the rest of the season. He actually averaged 15 yard per reception when he did play. And we did use him downfield. Remember the first game the bomb he caught from Carr? Unfortunately his foot injury killed his season.

If a TE is our deep threat then we are in trouble . And you can't seriously depend on a practice squad receiver to be our deep threat. That is laughable. I'm surprised he made the roster this year. Must have impressed the coaches. Will be interesting to see how far he's developed
    The more I think about it the biggest problem Tyrell Williams would have had with his foot injury would have been cutting. No need to do this when you're going deep. He should have been used in this manner more often.

If a TE is as physically gifted as Waller is there is no reason he cannot be used as a deep threat. In fact any receiver can actually be used as a deep threat on a double move especially when the defense is sitting on the shorter routes. No individual WR has to be THE deep threat. Plays can be schemed to get players deep.

I absolutely expected Gafford to make the roster once Tyrell was put on IR. I don't see him listed on the kick return depth chart but in my opinion he should be our primary kickoff returner. He is also a very good gunner when covering kicks. These are the things that your 5th and 6th WR's should do.