Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 487 of 516 FirstFirst ... 387437477485486487488489497 ... LastLast
Results 7,291 to 7,305 of 7726
    Quote Originally Posted by KobeOwnSU View Post
    That wasnít the point of the comment. The point is, we can be better at the QB position and still have money to upgrade the defense. Some donít believe itís possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    4 1st round picks and 2 D starters. We donít have the collateral Texans are asking. We are over the cap already and we have massive holes in D still. Love me some Watson but we arenít in this race. The reason we are in headlines is we raidernation are click bait lottery to the media. Itís that simple.

We're 61-95 (.391) under Mark. He signed Gruden to that ridiculous contract and hired another TV personality to be GM. We suffer from largely the same issues we did when he took over. That enough?

-Stork
    "Win some games, make the playoffs and show me you got some balls under the bright lights"

-tippa irie

Quote Originally Posted by raidermike View Post
    Derek Carr 2020 and 6yr career.

Pat Mahomes 2020 and 4yr career.

Deshawn Watson 2020 and 4yr career.

I know its not full measurables. Just a sample. But Deshawn has gone to the playoffs 3 times. Derek once. And Patrick 3 times also.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Carrs not as good as those guys full stop. However, Chiefs were a winning team before Maholmes arrived. Texans had a good roster when Watson landed (was destroyed by HC Gm failures).

Carr joined a shitfest rolled up in a dung heap managed by buffoons. Letís not play this ridiculous game.

Quote Originally Posted by mmbt View Post
    I think we just saw yet another example in the SB that no matter how dynamic your offense is, you run into a great defense that can dominate you up front and you're in trouble. Happened to us against the Ravens and Bucs, happened to the Brady Pats against NYG, now it's happened to Mahomes.

Having a great defensive front gives you a shot against anyone, and if you have any semblance of an offense you'll win a lot of games (and be very dangerous in playoff games). Building a powerhouse O around a franchise QB like Brees or Rodgers will keep you good for a long time (because you just overwhelm a lot of bad to average teams in the regular season), but you run into the wrong defense in postseason and you're still toast.

It's kind of like pitching in baseball. Weak hitting great pitching teams may not get into the postseason as often as a big hitting mediocre pitching team, but I know which team I'd rather go to war with in the playoffs.
    Seems like every time i watch the super bowl, I come away thinking about how valuable defense is. Really, the lines on both sides. A great OL can make average weapons better. A great DL can make great offenses average.

I will say, though, that there was much more going on on this game. You canít simple say TB **** down a great offense.

1) KC never looked great to me this year. We could have easily beaten then twice. Our defense looked good against them. That was odd.

2) injuries. Fisher was out. That hurt their OL. And mahommes already had surgery scheduled for his toe. Though you couldíve really tell, he was playing hurt, and that hurt his mobility/effectiveness.

3) Reid and son have off the field issues. Praying that the 5 year old is ok. But that had to have been a distraction.

4) the Brady ref factor

Quote Originally Posted by raidermike View Post
    I see the tweets.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    You will as it works via Tapatalk. Its any other platform that is still down.

I've spoken my peace on all this.

I'd keep Carr, fix the defense and hope for the best. The Raiders were good enough to be in the playoffs each of the past two years. Just improve the defense, turn the ball over less and this team goes 10-6 or better.

That's why I worry the Raiders will do something weird. I guess we'll see.

*ETA -- I had YouTube on auto-play. A highlight video from 2020 came up. Remember the painfully bad 3 TE play-action Gruden ran against the Chargers in OT? As I watched highlights from the season, I realized that Gruden ran the exact same 3 TE play-action bootleg multiple times in the red-zone over the course of the year. Teams clearly knew it was coming and learned to key in on it.
    Last edited by Shred003; 02-08-2021 at 06:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FarOutIos View Post
    Seems like every time i watch the super bowl, I come away thinking about how valuable defense is. Really, the lines on both sides. A great OL can make average weapons better. A great DL can make great offenses average.
    I can think of so many explosive offensive teams made to look average or worse in the SB, but offhand I don't recall any great defenses ever getting lit up.

1) KC never looked great to me this year. We could have easily beaten then twice. Our defense looked good against them. That was odd.
    They definitely played a lot more close games against lesser opponents than one would expect. Maybe got a little too big for their britches after winning the SB? Sometimes you lose that mental edge and can't get it back. But they kind of coasted and won on sheer ability a bit too often.

The 1980 Eagles had the #1 defense in football and were supposed to throttle us. Didn't happen. The '89 Broncos gave up 55 to Joe Montana.

Not sure I'd call either defense great, but they were the best in the league those years.

It does happen, but overall, I'd much prefer to play defense, run the ball. Chasing/paying QB's is often ignorant.

-Stork
    "Win some games, make the playoffs and show me you got some balls under the bright lights"

-tippa irie

Quote Originally Posted by themadstork View Post
    The 1980 Eagles had the #1 defense in football and were supposed to throttle us. Didn't happen.
    Yeah, that was probably the best example. And giving up 27 points back in those days seemed like a ton.

The '89 Broncos gave up 55 to Joe Montana.

Not sure I'd call either defense great, but they were the best in the league those years.
    I did remember the 89 Donks ... but it was an odd defense. Because they were good at a lot of things, particularly creating turnovers, but also that they weren't the type of defense that just dominated you physically. And against a Bill Walsh team running at peak efficiency, it was probably the worst matchup for them ... they weren't going to turn it over much, and the only times I ever saw them get disrupted was against really physical teams that just beat them up, which wasn't what Denver did well.

It does happen, but overall, I'd much prefer to play defense, run the ball. Chasing/paying QB's is often ignorant.
    Hey, it's great when you stumble into one in the draft. A great QB probably means that at the very least you'll stay relevant for a long time. It won't, however, mean squat if you focus on keeping him surrounded with weapons but neglect the defense.

Belichick had it right ... you got the QB, but the focus is defense first. Give the QB a great 1-2 weapons, but you don't need to have like 5 great pass catchers and a superstar RB. A great QB will usually make it work as long as you protect him.

We're 61-95 (.391) under Mark. He signed Gruden to that ridiculous contract and hired another TV personality to be GM. We suffer from largely the same issues we did when he took over. That enough?

-Stork
    Heís doing what most owners do. Staying out of the football side of things.

Gruden def falls on him. Mayock falls on Gruden but shouldnít have been a surprise considering Gruden. I wasnít a fan of Gruden coming back and weíve had issues cause of Gruden but I think he has at least got us back to respectable threat. Weíve been in the hunt the last 2 years until late season collapses. Defense has to get fixed. Bradley is his last chance if he fails, Gruden will be gone.

Mark isnít perfect but heís done a fairly good job positioning this team to be more successful in the future and weíve been competitive in the present. We have something to build off of.

Quote Originally Posted by mmbt View Post
    I think we just saw yet another example in the SB that no matter how dynamic your offense is, you run into a great defense that can dominate you up front and you're in trouble. Happened to us against the Ravens and Bucs, happened to the Brady Pats against NYG, now it's happened to Mahomes.

Having a great defensive front gives you a shot against anyone, and if you have any semblance of an offense you'll win a lot of games (and be very dangerous in playoff games). Building a powerhouse O around a franchise QB like Brees or Rodgers will keep you good for a long time (because you just overwhelm a lot of bad to average teams in the regular season), but you run into the wrong defense in postseason and you're still toast.

It's kind of like pitching in baseball. Weak hitting great pitching teams may not get into the postseason as often as a big hitting mediocre pitching team, but I know which team I'd rather go to war with in the playoffs.
    This. For the love of Selena Gomez's silken vocal chords, this.

"...prone to stoogery.".

Quote Originally Posted by TrueFan420 View Post
    Heís doing what most owners do. Staying out of the football side of things.

Gruden def falls on him. Mayock falls on Gruden but shouldnít have been a surprise considering Gruden. I wasnít a fan of Gruden coming back and weíve had issues cause of Gruden but I think he has at least got us back to respectable threat. Weíve been in the hunt the last 2 years until late season collapses. Defense has to get fixed. Bradley is his last chance if he fails, Gruden will be gone.

Mark isnít perfect but heís done a fairly good job positioning this team to be more successful in the future and weíve been competitive in the present. We have something to build off of.
    I donít think Gruden is on thin ice...at all.

And I donít see us being positioned for success. Something remains fundamentally broken with this regime. As much as Iím disliking Grudenís return, the failings pre-date him. I very much believe that weíll have to wait out Grudenís tenure and at least one more tear down before weíll assemble something capable of competing for a ring. Which is why I want to cut the corner and tear it down right now. Iíll be 55 in October...who knows how many more seasons Iíll get. Iím damned impatient and quite unwilling to suffer fools.

-Stork

-tippa irie

I donít think Gruden is on thin ice...at all.

And I donít see us being positioned for success. Something remains fundamentally broken with this regime. As much as Iím disliking Grudenís return, the failings pre-date him. I very much believe that weíll have to wait out Grudenís tenure and at least one more tear down before weíll assemble something capable of competing for a ring. Which is why I want to cut the corner and tear it down right now. Iíll be 55 in October...who knows how many more seasons Iíll get. Iím damned impatient and quite unwilling to suffer fools.

-Stork
    Hopefully you will see many more seasons. 55 is young.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfe-Raider View Post
    This. For the love of Selena Gomez's silken vocal chords, this.
    The Raiders keep drafting DBs instead of DLs. The results speak for themselves.

You want to know why the defense stinks? The Raiders drafted DJ Hayden instead of Richardson or Lotulelei. Karl Joseph instead of Kenny Clark. Gareon Conley instead of TJ Watt.

This isn't complicated.