Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 30
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    8,470

    League possibly to raise tampering fines to $10 million

    The memo addresses what the league called a ďwidespread perception that many of the leagueís rules are being broken on a frequent basisĒ when it comes to tampering, salary cap matters and the timing of free agency discussions.

    So the league wants to hit rule breakers where it hurts most ó the checkbook, and possibly beyond. The league wants fines raised in part to reflect the 600% increase in league revenue and the 1,100% increase in franchise value since the fine ceilings were last touched in 1996.

    In addition, teams will have to require its governor, top basketball operations executive and negotiators to certify annually that they did not talk to free agents or their representatives before the league rules allow. And with every player contract signed, each teamís governor will have to certify that no unauthorized benefits were offered and no rules were broken.

    ďItís pointless, at the end of the day, to have rules that we canít enforce,Ē NBA Commissioner Adam Silver said in July after the board of governors met and talked about ways to adjust that process in an effort to ensure fairness across the league.
    https://www.nba.com/article/2019/09/...te-raise-fines

    I don't see how this makes tampering rules more enforceable. If they are going to have a rule that is so difficult to implement that people rarely get caught, the only way to enforce the rule is to make the penalty so outrageous that no one would risk violating it. Right now, someone like Paul George easily brings in more than $10 million worth of value to a team, so there's no incentive NOT to tamper. Forfeiture of draft picks, termination of executives, decertification of agents, etc.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Brooklyn, NYC
    Posts
    19,421
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyRealist View Post
    https://www.nba.com/article/2019/09/...te-raise-fines

    I don't see how this makes tampering rules more enforceable. If they are going to have a rule that is so difficult to implement that people rarely get caught, the only way to enforce the rule is to make the penalty so outrageous that no one would risk violating it. Right now, someone like Paul George easily brings in more than $10 million worth of value to a team, so there's no incentive NOT to tamper. Forfeiture of draft picks, termination of executives, decertification of agents, etc.
    Pretty much this

  3. 09-16-2019, 11:45 PM
    Reason
    Insults - Rush

  4. 09-17-2019, 04:30 AM
    Reason
    Response to a deleted post - Rush

  5. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    28,893
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakers + Giants View Post
    I'll always love you though LG. You magnanimous and thoughtful fellow degenerate wagerer you.

  6. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Moon
    Posts
    2,078
    That doesnít make any team stay away from tampering. Thatís a little change compared to what some of these players would bring to the organization. As someone mentioned above, make some ridiculously tough rules that would make it very risky for any team (including the wealthiest) to think twice about tampering

  7. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    8,003
    Instead of fining for 10M maybe deduct 10 million from their cap space the following year. If NYK had a projected 25 million in cap space, they would only have 15 Million. Take away a 1st round pick as well, which would make maneuvering for a max deal even harder.

  8. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    28,715
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyRealist View Post
    https://www.nba.com/article/2019/09/...te-raise-fines

    I don't see how this makes tampering rules more enforceable. If they are going to have a rule that is so difficult to implement that people rarely get caught, the only way to enforce the rule is to make the penalty so outrageous that no one would risk violating it. Right now, someone like Paul George easily brings in more than $10 million worth of value to a team, so there's no incentive NOT to tamper. Forfeiture of draft picks, termination of executives, decertification of agents, etc.
    It's theater. They STILL don't really care, they just want to look like they are doing something.

  9. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    22,245
    Quote Originally Posted by tredigs View Post
    I'll always love you though LG. You magnanimous and thoughtful fellow degenerate wagerer you.


    The feeling is mutual, homie.

  10. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    11,372
    I like the money off the next year cap rule... but I would make it 20 million, along with the first round pick taken away... I would also maybe include blocking the teams ability to trade their 1st round picks for a couple years... I say this because many teams tampering are usually looking to get someone else, so block the trade route (e.g. George and the Clippers)
    Quote Originally Posted by P&GRealist View Post
    Sometimes, perception isn't reality.

    But Tittays are forever.


    I FOUND THE LEGENDARY THREAD

    https://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sh...es-to-Redskins

  11. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    28,715
    Quote Originally Posted by Cal827 View Post
    I like the money off the next year cap rule... but I would make it 20 million, along with the first round pick taken away... I would also maybe include blocking the teams ability to trade their 1st round picks for a couple years... I say this because many teams tampering are usually looking to get someone else, so block the trade route (e.g. George and the Clippers)
    That's totally crazy. That's such a HUGE penalty the NBA would never enforce it.

  12. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    The 6
    Posts
    24,334
    To little to late. what the clippers did with Leonard and George is a clear indication that the league canít do a dam thing about tampering. Go ahead fine Balmer, heíll wipe his *** with that 10 mill. And the amount of money heíll make having the roster he currently has will justify him wiping his *** with 10 mill.

    The Spurs, Raptors, Lakers, Thunder are all probably pretty upset about how everything transpired with KL and PG but my question is how would a fine to the clippers help the Raptors? Or the Thunder? Etc etc it wouldnít do a dam thing for them. The square root of Dick
    Last edited by smith&wesson; 09-19-2019 at 01:37 PM.

  13. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    The 6
    Posts
    24,334
    And you know what, I ainít even mad. Good on the Clippers for achieving their goals. Itís not their fault the NBA canít enforce anything to stop tampering or have these sort of issues in their league. Straight up

  14. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    11,333
    Quote Originally Posted by smith&wesson View Post
    To little to late. what the clippers did with Leonard and George is a clear indication that the league canít do a dam thing about tampering. Go ahead fine Balmer, heíll wipe his *** with that 10 mill. And the amount of money heíll make having the roster he currently has will justify him wiping his *** with 10 mill.

    The Spurs, Raptors, Lakers, Thunder are all probably pretty upset about how everything transpired with KL and PG but my question is how would a fine to the clippers help the Raptors? Or the Thunder? Etc etc it wouldnít do a dam thing for them. The square root of Dick
    Maybe I missed it but explain how the clippers tampered in the PG and KL thing.

  15. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    The 6
    Posts
    24,334
    Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    Maybe I missed it but explain how the clippers tampered in the PG and KL thing.
    Thereís no way to prove it for sure and thatís my point how can you stop something you canít prove ?

    Not speaking for the thunder or the spurs, but as a raptor fan I can tell you that Lawrence Frank and Steve Balmer were at a lot of raptors games making their presence known through out the season. Rivers on social media singing Leonardís praise while he was still under contract. And those were only things that we saw, who knows what was going on behind closed doors.

    But again how could anyone prove tampering unless it was in writing and who would be dumb enough to do that?

    The term tampering itself is a huge grey area. What is it defined by? Is a tweet acceptable ? How about an email ? A phone call ? Can a player of another team interact with another player out side of work and go to a social event together ? Ofcouse, but who knows what is said between them, right? Is that tampering? What exactly is tampering ? How can you even attempt to enforce something that is not even clearly defined, has a lot of grey area.

    In other words, scrap the whole thing. The players end up where they want anyways.
    Last edited by smith&wesson; 09-19-2019 at 03:35 PM.

  16. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    28,715
    Quote Originally Posted by smith&wesson View Post
    Thereís no way to prove it for sure and thatís my point how can you stop something you canít prove ?

    Not speaking for the thunder or the spurs, but as a raptor fan I can tell you that Lawrence Frank and Steve Balmer were at a lot of raptors games making their presence known through out the season. Rivers on social media singing Leonardís praise while he was still under contract. And those were only things that we saw, who knows what was going on behind closed doors.

    But again how could anyone prove tampering unless it was in writing and who would be dumb enough to do that?

    The term tampering itself is a huge grey area. What is it defined by? Is a tweet acceptable ? How about an email ? A phone call ? Can a player of another team interact with another player out side of work and go to a social event together ? Ofcouse, but who knows what is said between them, right? Is that tampering? What exactly is tampering ? How can you even attempt to enforce something that is not even clearly defined, has a lot of grey area.

    In other words, scrap the whole thing. The players end up where they want anyways.
    Good post.

    I recall one team getting pinged for tampering based on a GM for one team seeing the schedule notes for an agent that listed one of his players names and another team name for a past call he had. Apparently then that was enough despite the team claiming they talked to the agent about their own player. It's just nearly impossible to police which is why they don't really try, and why this "new fine" is PR for the NBA and not really an attempt to change anything.

  17. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    8,470
    Players can talk to players. That's never been on the table, and the NBAPA would throw a fit if it were. The only really enforceable aspect of tampering rules is when a nonplayer employee of a team makes a public statement about a player on another team, outside of something like "he's a good player" and crossing into "he sure would good in Indiana". Very little else is enforceable under current guidelines.

    There was talk about the league looking to have subpoena powers, seizng phone records and email servers, etc. The conversation was something like "if you really want us to enforce tampering rules, this is how we'd do it."

    Do other sports have this problem? Or is it just NBA executives that are D-bags?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •