Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Tigers or Orioles? Who is in a worst spot?

Two ugly teams going at it this weekend. Two awful teams fielded currently. Both teams futures dont look great. Considering division who gets out of the gutter first and who is worse going forward?
    Last edited by statquo; 09-18-2019 at 07:59 PM.

I think Detroit is easily worse. Baltimore at least hits well, they just have zero pitching.

I would say Detroit. Weaker division, stronger farm, and their future pitching staff looks pretty damn good as well. Though the O's got some studs on the farm.

Quote Originally Posted by statquo View Post
    Do ugly teams going at it this weekend. Two awful teams fielded currently. Both teams futures dont look great. Considering division who gets out of the gutter first and who is worse going forward?
    I don't know where you think the Orioles future doesn't look great. Baseball America has them ranked as the 8th best farm system during their mid-season rankings, and Keith Law, who has hated on their system for years, is beginning to come around to it. Fangraphs has the Tigers ranked 9th, and the Orioles ranked 11th in their latest rankings. Elias is also making changes top to bottom in the warehouse, from scouting to player development and continuing to enhance the analytics department, which is something that was sorely needed for years because we held onto people because they were "lifelong Orioles" instead of hiring on merit.

I don't know nearly as much about Detroit obviously, and I'm a bit biased as an Orioles fan, but a lot of those who follow prospects and the minors are quickly coming around to the Orioles, especially the pitching. Not only do the Orioles have great top end arms, they've also resurrected the careers of former top prospects Hunter Harvey and Cody Sedlock. It's going to be a few more years because a lot of the big-time prospects are still a few years off, but the Orioles are on the right path to be competitive once more, and actually sustain it this time around.

Have you seen the Red Sox? How do you go from 108 wins and a WS to playing like crap the following yr?

World Series hangover. Seemed to happen to the Giants after each of their recent championships.

"there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    World Series hangover. Seemed to happen to the Giants after each of their recent championships.
    Red Sox too. Pretty sure they missed the playoffs following their WS win the last couple times too.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTomasz View Post
    I don't know where you think the Orioles future doesn't look great. Baseball America has them ranked as the 8th best farm system during their mid-season rankings, and Keith Law, who has hated on their system for years, is beginning to come around to it. Fangraphs has the Tigers ranked 9th, and the Orioles ranked 11th in their latest rankings. Elias is also making changes top to bottom in the warehouse, from scouting to player development and continuing to enhance the analytics department, which is something that was sorely needed for years because we held onto people because they were "lifelong Orioles" instead of hiring on merit.

I don't know nearly as much about Detroit obviously, and I'm a bit biased as an Orioles fan, but a lot of those who follow prospects and the minors are quickly coming around to the Orioles, especially the pitching. Not only do the Orioles have great top end arms, they've also resurrected the careers of former top prospects Hunter Harvey and Cody Sedlock. It's going to be a few more years because a lot of the big-time prospects are still a few years off, but the Orioles are on the right path to be competitive once more, and actually sustain it this time around.
    They also play in the AL East. The mountain is a lot higher for the Os. Whos the core of young up and coming position players for the Os?

The Lost Boys of PSD

They also play in the AL East. The mountain is a lot higher for the Os. Whos the core of young up and coming position players for the Os?
    Within two levels of the majors are Ryan Mountcastle and Yusniel Diaz, two consensus top 100 prospects. Austin Hays is currently at the MLB level and doing very well, and was a former top 100 prospect from many listings before injuries derailed him last year.

A few other names of note are obviously Adley Rutschman, currently #6 overall on MLB pipeline, and Gunnar Henderson, a SS that we took in the second round who was a mid-first talent with signability issues. MIF Adam Hall has also been an interesting piece.

Where the Orioles are oddly excelling right now is pitching, which is why they focused so heavily on the position players in this year's draft.

Two ugly teams going at it this weekend. Two awful teams fielded currently. Both teams futures dont look great. Considering division who gets out of the gutter first and who is worse going forward?
    Detroit they have building blocks going forward, the Orioles are a disaster.

This question is easy; Detroit! Even if Baltimore improves, do you see them overtaking the Yankees, Rays, and Red Sox any time soon? Even Toronto has a brighter future. If Detroit gets a few pieces, they easily go above Kansas City and Chicago next season.
    Eichel Tower

Pittsburgh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resum

My dad is an Orioles fan, his favorite of all time is Cal Ripkin Jr. I feel sad for him lol

Baltimore looks like the better team, though, I can't imagine the Tigers looking good anytime soon. Baltimore needs some pitching.

Quote Originally Posted by DethRidesAHorse View Post
    My dad is an Orioles fan, his favorite of all time is Cal Ripkin Jr. I feel sad for him lol

Baltimore looks like the better team, though, I can't imagine the Tigers looking good anytime soon. Baltimore needs some pitching.
    And it's coming. Kremer is going to be the first, probably late next year. Baumann and Sedlock looked fantastic this year under the new regime and analytics department. DL Hall and Grayson Rodriguez are top 100 prospects no matter the list, and they will continue their climb. Blaine Knight is another high draft pick who can help out pitching. We went heavy on position players in the draft because the past two years have gotten us fantastic pitching depth in the minors.

Quote Originally Posted by ccugrad1 View Post
    This question is easy; Detroit! Even if Baltimore improves, do you see them overtaking the Yankees, Rays, and Red Sox any time soon? Even Toronto has a brighter future. If Detroit gets a few pieces, they easily go above Kansas City and Chicago next season.
    Orioles had the best record in baseball from 2012-16, despite the Red Sox winning a World Series in 2013, and both teams trying to compete during most of that time. Everyone has peaks and valleys.