Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 35 of 39 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast
    So, this is the way Iím interpreting things...

We didnít even attempt to make an offer to the Jets before we traded with Miami. This tells me that we likely already know that the Jets are intent on keeping the pick, and we know the first two names on the Jetsí big board.

Obviously Lynchahan wants/needs to sell the idea that they may in fact retain Garoppolo for one year while they groom a potential replacement and they know the only way they can make that sale is if their actions suggest that they are fixated on Trey Lance at 3.

Still, while the strategy of drafting a lower floor, limitless ceiling QB and sitting him behind the current starter - if you squint your eyes and slightly tilt your head - does make some sense for the Niners, you know who it makes just as much if not more sense for?

The New York Jets.

The Jets have Darnold in a contract year and they likely arenít getting much value via trade offers for him. Why not draft the guy with potentially the highest ceiling while they still have a year of Darnold and low expectations?

Letís assume Lynchahan do know what the Jetsí big board looks like; jumping to 3 makes a lot of sense if neither of their top two names is Zach Wilson.

Why? Because the Niners just traded away two future firsts and a third. If Lynchahan have enough faith in Garoppolo to take the team to the SB this year, then why wouldnít they be focused on using 12 to help the QB they have under contract for two more years win a Super Bowl? Doesnít it seem a bit contradictory to publicly state that Garoppolo is the guy that can win it all this year while also leveraging the future to ensure he wonít be that guy moving forward? Iím convinced, if itís a QB, itís going to be one we believe can start in year one and that is not Lance.

As unbelievably gifted as he is, Lance doesnít fit the mold of a Shanahan QB. Neither does Fields. Yes, Shanny worked wonders for RG3, but the Shanahans favor passing skill over running skill. Itís why they begrudgingly drafted RG3 and still took Cousins in the same draft. Of course they want someone who can make off schedule plays, but theyíd prefer a Mahomes or Watson over a Lamar Jackson. They want a Steve Young, not a Mike Vick. While he might show uncanny arm talent, the kid hasnít played in a year and thereís just no knowing how heíll react on a pro field. IMO, this is exactly why Shannyís BFF, Chris Simms, thinks Kyle moved up for Mac Jones; Simms believes Wilson is a lock to the Jets. I have to believe we had some insight and moved up for a higher floor than Lance. If itís not Trevor Lawrence, then Zach Wilson is that guy.

Telling Wyche we moved up for a QB, then stating weíre committed to JG for this year is all intended to sell the gimmick and get more for JG on draft day. If the Jets do end up taking Wilson, I could see us taking Mac Jones.
    Last edited by GibbyIsMyHero; 03-28-2021 at 12:47 AM.
    The Tweeter Handle: @DSchneider_05

Quote Originally Posted by downsos View Post
    If it's Lance then he sits for a year and Jimmy is the starter while he learns the playbook. This team is in win now mode and the only person replacing Jimmy is someone that is at worse going to do as well as him. Cam ain't that. This team isn't hurting for money. If they were Jimmy would had been gone yesterday. The QB coach, OC and KS can take care of getting Lance where they want him. No need to bring in Cam for that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I see thanks for your response.
    Vancouver Canucks
    Toronto Blue Jays
    San Francisco 49's

Quote Originally Posted by rapjuicer06 View Post
    Agreed. But ****...if we take Fields were literally screwed. Idk what were doing
    Do you really see us taking Fields though? I mean I don't understand the thinking either. I think we could have had UF QB Kyle Trask in the 2nd rd and Shanahan could have really groomed him into a stud. We would still have all those picks. Let's just pray that the Jets don't take Zach Wilson.

ITS THE WHITE SOX TIME 2 SHINE
    2021 MLB CHAMPION WHITE SOX (COMING TO A BALLPARK NEAR YOU)

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteSoxGod View Post
    Do you really see us taking Fields though? I mean I don't understand the thinking either. I think we could have had UF QB Kyle Trask in the 2nd rd and Shanahan could have really groomed him into a stud. We would still have all those picks. Let's just pray that the Jets don't take Zach Wilson.
    Trask isn't going to be anything. Shanahan and Lynch don't have the time groom a 2nd round QB. This team is exponentially better than the team they inherited, but 3 out of 4 losing seasons isn't going to give you much time. They have everything in place to compete for a SB outside of the most important position in football. I believe Jimmy could be that guy if healthy, but you can't rely on him to be healthy. This is the best shot to guarantee they get there guy.

#MakeAmericaPeeAgain

Uh... Justin Fields 4.44 40 at his size along with that 65-70 yard bootleg throw he made was straight bonkers. He has his red flags like his rating under pressure and that he did hold on to the ball a little too long, but man thereís a lot of potential there. In listening to all of Kyleís comments, Iím starting to think his big board, outside of Trevor Lawrence, is actually something like...

1) Wilson
    2) Fields
    3) Lance/Jones

I thought Lynchahan were trying to sell that they might draft Lance at 3 in order to drive home the idea that they intend to keep JG and, ultimately, drive up the offers for him. However, itís starting to look to me like Kyle actually does want dynamism from this pick. While Jones has shown more athleticism than the criticism warrants and he is arguably the most polished field general in the draft, he is also the least dynamic of the top 5.

Listen to all the counter-49ers/Jones narrative already; most of us are in agreement that this FO didnít jump to 3 just to take the guy widely regarded as the 5th best QB simply because heís a perceived ďsystem fitĒ. Any perception of real interest in Jones is often tied to caveats like weíre happy with him if Wilson isnít there, or we traded it all for control of our own destiny as Lynchahan and Chris Simms have been saying. These caveats make it more believable. Most importantly, however, control of our destiny is a priority signal which should serve to imply that we also somewhat control the destiny of every QB seeking team behind us.

For instance, the Pats actually do seem interested in Mac Jones. As such, if we feign interest in Mac Jones at 3, that could have a real affect Belichickís plans for multiple reasons.

Firstly, if we donít take Jones, heís likely the 5th QB off the board and Belichick might have a shot at him at 15 or by making a late trade to move up a couple of spots. The idea of Jones going at three, however, should serve to tell the Pats that they are likely to have a lot of competition to trade up with the last two QBs on the board being Fields and Lance.

Secondly, it becomes a very real possibility to Belichick that the 49ers could control both of his top 2 QB options in 2021 and, potentially, in 2022.

Clearly the move up was about more than just upgrading the QB spot; without absolutely needing to move JG here, we get to play some chess to drive his market. In the best case, we get a franchise altering rookie that can start year one and recoup a first round pick, likely a future first, as compensation for Jimmy. In the worst case, no one bites on the first, Jimmy starts in 2021, and we have a competent and capable insurance policy on the bench; we get nothing for Jimmy, he gets cut in Ď22, but our rookie has a year to sit and learn the system.

Iím more optimistic than most that Wilson might be available when we pick - Iíd give it a 60/40 that the Jets take him over the field. If he does sneak past, heís the pick. More than anything, if Wilson isnít there, I trust Lynchahan will make the right choice. The further away we get from the trade the better and better it looks.
    Last edited by GibbyIsMyHero; 03-31-2021 at 01:59 PM.

Jets are likely to take Zach Wilson. You've already traded away your firsts to get to #3. So, it would seem that you would be comfortable with 3 QBs. At this point, if yu really want Wilson, what would you offer the Jets for the #2 pick.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyi View Post
    Jets are likely to take Zach Wilson. You've already traded away your firsts to get to #3. So, it would seem that you would be comfortable with 3 QBs. At this point, if yu really want Wilson, what would you offer the Jets for the #2 pick.
    Well, after Pitts and Chase ran 4.44 and 4.38 respectively, it looks like they might have raised their stock significantly. The only real concern about Pitts was that heís a WR playing TE and he might not have had the speed to play WR; he answered that question. Dude is an animal that can line up anywhere.

Regardless of who it is theyíre eyeing, if the Jets are willing to make a move, that tells me itís not Wilson. If thatís the case, then I imagine something like what the Bears gave us when they drafted Trubisky - a third rounder to swap these same two picks - should get it done.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyi View Post
    If the Jets get Wilson maybe Urban Meyer will get Fields

That leaves the 49ers with Lawrence! WIN!

Steve Young apparently believes Zach Wilson is number one on both the Niners and Jetsí big boards.

Iíd trade with the Jets if the option is there.

If itís already decided that the Jets will hold and Wilson comes off the board, I might actually consider, and donít shoot me for saying this... Kyle Pitts. Not saying I wouldnít take a QB, but Pitts would makes us better this season.

Could you imagine an offense that is capable of trotting out 4-5 of these 6 names on every damn down?

Kittle
    Pitts
    Aiyuk
    Deebo
    Juice
    Mostert

Quote Originally Posted by GibbyIsMyHero View Post
    Steve Young apparently believes Zach Wilson is number one on both the Niners and Jetsí big boards.

If itís already decided that the Jets will hold and Wilson comes off the board, I might actually consider, and donít shoot me for saying this... Kyle Pitts. Not saying I wouldnít take a QB, but Pitts would makes us better this season.

Could you imagine an offense that is capable of trotting out 4-5 of these 6 names on every damn down?

Kittle
    Pitts
    Aiyuk
    Deebo
    Juice
    Mostert
    49ers brass is asking for 1st for JG

I think they've priced themselves out !

Quote Originally Posted by 1hardcore View Post
    49ers brass is asking for 1st for JG

I think they've priced themselves out !
    As they should. They don't have to trade him. You have to figure Nagy has a short leash and BB doesn't want to coach forever. Are they really going to roll with Dalton and Newton? I don't buy it.

#MakeAmericaPeeAgain

Quote Originally Posted by downsos View Post
    As they should. They don't have to trade him. You have to figure Nagy has a short leash and BB doesn't want to coach forever. Are they really going to roll with Dalton and Newton? I don't buy it.

Agreed...

Iíve got an out of the box idea though...

Does anyone think we can convince the Jets to swap QBs in exchange for also swapping the 2nd and 3rd picks?

Jets would get a minimum of 2 years of JG with an opportunity to extend him, and they can use pick 3 on Sewell, Pitts, or Chase.

Niners get Wilson, and Darnold can compete with him for one year before hitting FA.

Or would you rather have Jones, Lance, or Fields, and roll with Jimmy for one more year with potentially no compensation for him?
    Last edited by GibbyIsMyHero; 04-03-2021 at 05:36 PM.

You're still going to have to groom one of those top 4 picks. If they wanted a ready made QB they could have used those picks to trade for Watson or go after Mathew Stafford for a MUCH CHEAPER option. I just think if they take Fields or Jones we are going to end up with the losing end of the stick in a BIG BIG way.

Quote Originally Posted by GibbyIsMyHero View Post

Kittle
    Pitts
    Aiyuk
    Deebo
    Juice
    Mostert
    Now Zach Wilson I'm all for. I think the guy is going to be great. I think he will be better than Lawrence. My god though guys could you imagine us taking Kyle Pitts. It would be my damn football wet dream. How could you possibly cover Kittle and Pitts with LBs? LOL Pitts is a physical beast with hands of GOLD!!!

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteSoxGod View Post
    You're still going to have to groom one of those top 4 picks. If they wanted a ready made QB they could have used those picks to trade for Watson or go after Mathew Stafford for a MUCH CHEAPER option...
    But consider the Jetsí position here. Stafford or Watson wouldnít make a ton of sense for a rebuilding team. The Jets NEED the picks theyíd be required to give up. I mean, even if it only cost them the second pick to get Stafford, Stafford isnít going to be a great starter by the time the team is ready to compete. Watson would require a haul that would make no sense for a team that isnít ready to compete immediately.

In the JG scenario, the Niners starter would be expendable if they can move up to 2. So the Jets could fill the QB role with a still youngish QB that the coaching staff is familiar with, and get him a star to throw to.

Imagine youíre in the Jetsí shoes and ask yourself...

1) is Stafford worth the number 2 pick (or, is he greater than a cost controlled Wilson for the next 5 years)? Not IMO

2) Is Watson worth the haul heíd require for a rebuilding team that needs the draft capital theyíd be giving up? Again, not for a rebuilding team.

3) Is trading back one spot to pair JG with Pitts (or Chase, or Sewell) better than trading for that pick for Stafford or selecting Wilson?

Iíd have to think the Jets would at least consider it. The Niners already have a ton of weapons and are just looking to improve QB play. The Jets need help everywhere. I mean, with the Niners at three, Iím actually leaning towards keeping JG, drafting Pitts, and selecting someone like Trask, or Mond later in the draft.

Page 35 of 39 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast