Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 33 of 37 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast
    However this SB played out, is anyone a little upset that we didnít move on from JG and bring in TB when he wanted to come here last year?

I mean, this dude wasnít even mentioned as an MVP candidate, but despite having a couple of rough games adjusting to the offense and timing issues with receivers, he finished as PFFís second best QB this year, behind only the MVP.

Despite all of our injuries this year, Brady couldíve been a huge difference maker. Instead, we chose to get another year deeper into the JG project - the Bucs have a Super Bowl win and weíre looking for a QB upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by GibbyIsMyHero View Post
    Agreed. However we view him, Jimmy is an asset. He hasnít shown to be a great starter, but heís proven heís a good one if he can be healthy, and heís got two more years under contract. Heís also shown flashes like when he went throw for throw against Brees late in 2019.

We donít want him because we donít believe heís going to take us to the next level... that doesnít mean someone like Belichick doesnít think they can win with him.

Heís a top of the middle of the pack QB when healthy. Iím sure thereís a number of teams that would jump to pay - at MINIMUM - a 3rd round pick to get him. Optimistically, I could see him fetching up to a late 1st. I canít imagine anyone would be out there sitting back and hoping he just gets released in order to fill their QB role.

I do see a reunion with Belichick as the likeliest possibility.
    I think NE will get JG . Cam Newton was just a bleeding band aid over there. I'd be happy for a 2nd Rounder.

Patrick Peterson and the Cardinals are parting ways!

I SAY GRAB HIM !

So it appears we have a lot more cheddar than anticipated and the ability to free up much more...

OTC has the Niners currently sitting on 23.9M in capspace with the ability to free up an additional 33.8M if move on from JG, Ford and Richburg.

Obviously it will take money to replace JG but if that replacement comes via the draft or Sam Darnold then itís a fraction of the cap savings.

So, what to do?

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/san-francisco-49ers/

My only hope is we don't trade for Sam.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#MakeAmericaPeeAgain

RESTRUCTURED
    Ford ($8M cap savings)
    Richburg ($6M)

RETURNING
    Moseley
    Juice
    Varrett

INCOMING
    Ebukam

CURRENT CAP SPACE
    $20.4M

POTENTIAL TRADE CANDIDATE
    Jimmy G ($24M)

DRAFT CAPITAL
    10 Picks; 12, 43, 102, 117, 155, 172, 180, 193, 229, 239

Suddenly, it seems like there are a lot of options splintering off of two main roads; moving forward either with or without Trent Williams, then deciding what to do at QB. Williams is the catalytic move here. Hereís how I see our paths to improving the roster...

1) RE-SIGN WILLIAMS
    Bringing back Trent shores up one of the most important positions on the field with the best LT in the league. On the flipside, it likely takes up all of our remaining capspace and the latter years of the deal most certainly likely to see some degree of decline.

(1a) Stand firm at QB - We know the cons of this, but the pros are that we retain all of our draft capital and are more free to get creative with the 12th pick by either drawing from a number of talented players at 12, trading up, or trading back. Not the sexiest move but with all the re-signings and restructures, and bringing back TW, this option doesnít look like such a bad one anymore.

(1b) Trade JG - Frees up $24M in additional cap space, but to what end? This option leaves us with Josh Rosen and additional draft capital for trade. This one injects more uncertainty and it will costly to improve here, but thereís no denying the upside of some potential replacements. Sam Darnold may come close to matching Jimmyís performance. Heíd also be more likely to stay on the field if he doesnít come down with mono and heíd be the cheapest option in both return and cap hit for the upcoming year. Swinging a trade for Watson would certainly be eye popping, but it would also cost an arm and a leg, and another arm, and probably 3 toes, and a couple teeth. Trading up in the draft might be a very expensive move for one of the top guys and is not likely to net us Lawrence or Wilson. The question becomes whether weíre willing to bet on Fields, Lance, or Mac Jones as being real high quality QBs in the league?

(2) TRENT WILLIAMS LEAVES

Well, congratulations to the 2022 SB champion Kansas City Chiefs. Hypothetical, obviously, but if Trent moves on for the most money, thatís one thing... if he moves on because he wants to protect the best QB in football, beating the Chiefs might be a tough hill to climb. On the bright side, this frees up the Niners to use the full $20.4M in cap space however they please... on the dark side, weíre down the best LT in football and we still have JG. IMO, weíd have to improve at QB if we canít bring back Trent.

(2a) Trade Jimmy - We need a replacement LT and now we absolutely need to replace JG!
    Trade Jimmy and use his freed cap space and draft capital towards Watson. Extreme, but letís go all in on this.

(2b) Keep Jimmy - we already need a replacement LT, we donít need to replace our QB too! Ugh! Jimmy is a solid starter, even if heís not a star. He also makes bad decisions, and is a walking injury. Isnít JG without a Joe Staley or Trent Williams blocking his backside pretty concerning?

This would be my strategy going into the draft...

1. Re-sign TW ASAP
    2. Field offers for JG, but hold onto him until the draft this will allow us the flexibility for ď3Ē
    3. Target a QB we can draft as a replacement, but this should be a sliding scale cost/benefit move. If said QB slips to a palatable trade partner with a relatively small investment, then move up and flip JG for the best compensation available. If not, we retain JG and grab the BPA at a position of need at 12

This is clearly not a realistic scenario, but the PFF mock draft simulator allowed me to move up to 3 by just trading 12 and a 2023 2nd to the Dolphins. I know, thatís not plausible, but if we get the feeling going into the draft that we can get decent compensation for JG, then we know we can also use that compensation in a package to move up - an option I donít not have in draft simulators.

In this draft, the Jets opted to keep Darnold and drafted Chase.

I was able to get the following...

Zach Wilson
    Jaelan Phillips - Edge
    Ben Cleveland - G
    Kelvin Joseph - CB
    Milton Williams - DT
    KJ Stepherson - WR
    Josh Myers - C
    Brenden Jameis - T
    Elijah Mitchell - HB
    Tre McKitty - TE

In either case, a trade with the Dolphins would be ideal as it would guarantee we get one of the top 3 QBs.
    Last edited by GibbyIsMyHero; 03-16-2021 at 05:19 PM.

Just saw Michael Lombardi reporting that Watson wants SF or Denver.

His Ď21 cap hit is only around 15M. If Houston would take back JG as part of the package, that would actually improve our cap space by $9M this year, but 2022 would be a train wreck. Is it possible we could get Watson and sign both Williams and Rodney Hudson?

Iíd be on the phone with Houston right now until I get the deal done
    The Tweeter Handle: @DSchneider_05

Just saw Michael Lombardi reporting that Watson wants SF or Denver.

His Ď21 cap hit is only around 15M. If Houston would take back JG as part of the package, that would actually improve our cap space by $9M this year, but 2022 would be a train wreck. Is it possible we could get Watson and sign both Williams and Rodney Hudson?

Iíd be on the phone with Houston right now until I get the deal done
    No to Watson

QB-Lock
    RB-Montgomery
    WR-AJ Brown, Hakeem Butler
    TE-TJ Hockenson
    Edge-Allen
    LB-Devon White, Blake Cashman
    CB-Joejuan Williams
    S-Dieonte Thompson

Alex Mack is Niner

This signing along with Williams signing might change my mind on JG leaving .

LT Williams
    LG Tomlinson
    C Mack
    RG Brunskill
    RT Mglinchy

Not bad !

Quote Originally Posted by 1hardcore View Post
    Alex Mack is Niner

LT Williams
    LG Tomlinson
    C Mack
    RG Brunskill
    RT Mglinchy

Not bad !
    Its still not good. JG has to go. Hes so scared to get hit...hes just not good

QB-Lock
    RB-Montgomery
    TE-TJ Hockenson
    Edge-Allen
    CB-Joejuan Williams
    S-Dieonte Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by rapjuicer06 View Post
    No to Watson
    Well, certainly not now... we canít afford him now that TWillie is back

Quote Originally Posted by 1hardcore View Post
    Alex Mack is Niner

LT Williams
    LG Tomlinson
    C Mack
    RG Brunskill
    RT Mglinchy

Not bad !
    Its still not good. JG has to go. Hes so scared to get hit...hes just not good
    I think we go into the draft now as I suggested above; flexible at the QB spot. The signings thus far allow us to get creative with the draft and JG.

Getting Trent back is the anchor we otherwise wouldíve had to use our 12th pick to address.

Getting Mack alleviates pressure to spend a day 2-3 pick on the interior line and Juice returning has a similar effect.

Moseley and Verrett returning on the cheap means we could use 12 on a CB, but weíll likely target less polished players in rounds 2-4.

Ebukam is no Ford, but heís solid and removes pressure there too.

Essentially, weíve compiled assets, filled all of our major holes, and now weíre free to use the draft to make positional improvements as opposed to addressing needs. We also have enough draft capital to make a move up.

Cowherd had a point yesterday. He said itís very likely the Williams signing signals the end of JGís tenure as our QB because we have too many contracts to dole out and Jimmy represents $24M in cap space over the next two years.

Now, really, itís only one year that these savings will have an impact because JG is already accounted for under this yearís cap and I donít see us making additional one-year moves in FA this year, but he gains no-trade rights if he plays for us this season which would absolutely screw us next year.

I do think Jimmy is gone. I could see us holding at 12 for a Mac Jones, then moving up for another late first for another WR or CB. Whatever we get for Jimmy could help us with that.

Taking a QB at 12 and moving JG would save us roughly 17M against the cap the next two years
    Last edited by GibbyIsMyHero; 03-18-2021 at 11:29 AM.

I admittedly was a bit concerned about the long term ramifications of this deal...

Concerns alleviated...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/profoot...iams-deal/amp/

Also looks like we are only taking an $8M cap hit this year and still have $13M in cap space before the Alex Mack contract is accounted for

I admittedly was a bit concerned about the long term ramifications of this deal...

Concerns alleviated...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/profoot...iams-deal/amp/

Also looks like we are only taking an $8M cap hit this year and still have $13M in cap space before the Alex Mack contract is accounted for
    I too think we take Jones. Idk if I like it or not though. I like Mond and Trask a lot more

QB-Lock
    RB-Montgomery
    TE-TJ Hockenson
    Edge-Allen
    CB-Joejuan Williams
    S-Dieonte Thompson

I too think we take Jones. Idk if I like it or not though. I like Mond and Trask a lot more
    Iíve been watching all the Jones hype spots (...yeah, I know...) and Iím starting to really like him. I mean, as a pure passer, thereís no doubt in my mind that he is the most polished in this draft. Yes, it helps when you have talented receivers, and he had two potentially top 10 picks to throw to, but heís also great at dissecting defenses, moves very well in the pocket, makes great decisions on where to go with the ball, and hits his guys on the money regardless of the route, or level of the field. There is not a throw he canít make and there was almost no such thing as a difficult catch for Bama receivers last season.

Extending the play outside of the pocket... well, heís not that guy... but I donít think he needs to be.

At the risk of sounding a bit ignorant, he only gives me pause because heís an Alabama QB. Bama is such an incredible program, but they havenít churned out a good starting QB since, when? Stabler? The book is still out on Tua and Hurts, but I have doubts on them and think Jones will at least have better production than they will.

Page 33 of 37 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast