Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by All-In View Post
    So we've invested our 2018 2nd and 3rd round picks on WR...2019 2nd and 3rd round picks on WR...and now our 2020 3rd and 4th round picks on WR

And yet there's a very real chance we'll have one of the worst WR groups in the league start of next season
    Nope. We only invested our 2nd in 2018 on a WR. We had two thirds in 2018 and neither were used on a WR. Also, we didn't really use our 2020 4th on a WR. We moved down what will likely be 10 spots since we picked up the Broncos likely very high 5th for our likely very low 4th.

In addition, our receiving corp should look better next year then you are giving it credit for. Even if Sanders isn't retained, the young guys that we took with those picks listed above should take steps in their development and Taylor will be healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by RedandGold_35 View Post
    I'd say a known commodity like Sanders is worth the unknowns of a 3rd and 4th.

I expect us to trade down if anyone comes calling now for sure.
    Part of that "known asset" is that he's a 5'11" 32 year old WR. 2 mid-round unknowns who could be 2 15 year hall of fame players though not at all likely vs 2ish years of a smallish averagish aging WR. It's just a little spendy for me. I think a 3rd alone would make me cringe a little for what they got back.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakers211221 View Post
    Nope. We only invested our 2nd in 2018 on a WR. We had two thirds in 2018 and neither were used on a WR. Also, we didn't really use our 2020 4th on a WR. We moved down what will likely be 10 spots since we picked up the Broncos likely very high 5th for our likely very low 4th.

In addition, our receiving corp should look better next year then you are giving it credit for. Even if Sanders isn't retained, the young guys that we took with those picks listed above should take steps in their development and Taylor will be healthy.
    I agree ... the potential of the receiver group is very good, it's just that the schedule has been pushed earlier because of success. I hope they don't go over the top like the Rams did, because that just leads to a quick collapse too.

He's actually more correct than your post. He only err'd on the 2018 3rd round pick. Everything else he stated was accurate. Nothing you stated was remotely accurate, and highly subjective and opinionated not based on any evidence.
    It's time to start winning right?

Playoffs and Championship droughts...

SF 49ers - 5 years no playoffs, 24 years no championship
    LA Lakers - 6 years no playoffs, 9 years no championship
    LA Kings - 1 year no playoffs, 5 years no championship
    SF Giants - 2 years no playoffs, 5 years no championship

Quote Originally Posted by RedandGold_35 View Post
    I'd say a known commodity like Sanders is worth the unknowns of a 3rd and 4th.

I expect us to trade down if anyone comes calling now for sure.

Definitely. I posted earlier I'd dump a 1st round pick for AJ Green. Maybe a 2021 pick. The 49ers aimed lower than I would, and acquired an NFL WR, (something they don't currently have), but not anyone that will cause opponents to game plan for.

So we didn't trade a 3rd round pick to move up to get Pettis? I'm pretty sure we did, we had 3 third round picks that year, one was our own (74, which was traded to the Redskins), (70, which we got from the Bears for Mitch T.) and (95, which we got from NE for Trent Brown)

I'm aware of the particulars in each deal (like in deal for Pettis from the Redskins we also got back a 5th round pick which we used on DJ Reed) but thats not the point, the point is the total value of the investment on the WR position with a yield that might be questionable to say the least

I understand that it takes time for receivers to develop (even though receivers drafted after Pettis/Samuel are already producing) so basically all I have to go on is hope, but considering the substantial investment we made it is a little alarming that we could come away with nothing on a pretty important positional group

Quote Originally Posted by All-In View Post
    So we didn't trade a 3rd round pick to move up to get Pettis? I'm pretty sure we did, we had 3 third round picks that year, one was our own (74, which was traded to the Redskins), (70, which we got from the Bears for Mitch T.) and (95, which we got from NE for Trent Brown)

I'm aware of the particulars in each deal (like in deal for Pettis from the Redskins we also got back a 5th round pick which we used on DJ Reed) but thats not the point, the point is the total value of the investment on the WR position with a yield that might be questionable to say the least

I understand that it takes time for receivers to develop (even though receivers drafted after Pettis/Samuel are already producing) so basically all I have to go on is hope, but considering the substantial investment we made it is a little alarming that we could come away with nothing on a pretty important positional group
    Right now our hope also has to do with the lack of health in the WR group holding back development, and that with the 3 top OTs missing 12 player/games already it's going to hold back the passing game in general and the deeper and outside passing game to WRs specifically, and offensive game plans built to be super conservative ... it's hard to know WHAT the 49ers have.

Taylor, when healthy, was very good at getting open in the short/intermediate areas, but he's missed 6 games.

Hurd who was the physical player we all wanted has missed 6 games.

Goodwin hasn't been right in the last year and has just the one year of above average productivity for the 49ers and that was when Hoyer was the starting QB to start the year.

Pettis showed flashes but has been inconsistent at best.

It's kind of a mess, but it's also far from a final conclusion on any of them. It's just that a 6-0 record increases the pressure.

There isn't going to be many snaps available next year for rookies anyway. On offense the only position I could see getting significant snaps is a 2nd TE, or a WR if Shanny loves one in the 1st. After that you're looking at a developmental tackle to eventually take over for Staley. On D, our LB's and top 4 CB's are all under contract. The only position that a starter could be brought in is safety, if Ward walks. We could add some depth on the d-line considering we'll lose some guys. I think it's likely we trade back with our 1st and add some picks, but rookies won't need to contribute a whole lot, compared to the earlier years with this regime.

Quote Originally Posted by CodeRed View Post
    There isn't going to be many snaps available next year for rookies anyway. On offense the only position I could see getting significant snaps is a 2nd TE, or a WR if Shanny loves one in the 1st. After that you're looking at a developmental tackle to eventually take over for Staley. On D, our LB's and top 4 CB's are all under contract. The only position that a starter could be brought in is safety, if Ward walks. We could add some depth on the d-line considering we'll lose some guys. I think it's likely we trade back with our 1st and add some picks, but rookies won't need to contribute a whole lot, compared to the earlier years with this regime.
    In my opinion, it makes sense to try and move down from our 1st round pick to the early to mid 2nd and add a 3rd or 4th round pick. Then use the 2nd round pick to address the offensive line. They could even move up from the pick that they added by packaging it with one of the 5th rounders. That way, we'd end up with two picks on day two. Maybe grab a safety or CB with the second one.

Hurd and Taylor have regressed. Kyle wouldn't rule out the possibility of a return this year.

I'm going to guess that Hurd is done for the year. Compression fracture is serious stuff. Taylor's is a mystery, he should've healed by September.

Josh Gordon will be released when healthy, but reports state he's mostly healthy, maybe only a few days away. He posted he was shocked that they placed him on IR. I'm not sure if I'd want Gordon, but he wouldn't cost anything once Pats waive him. Could also be an asset if the niners make it to feb.

Quote Originally Posted by leftymo View Post
    Hurd and Taylor have regressed. Kyle wouldn't rule out the possibility of a return this year.

I'm going to guess that Hurd is done for the year. Compression fracture is serious stuff. Taylor's is a mystery, he should've healed by September.

Josh Gordon will be released when healthy, but reports state he's mostly healthy, maybe only a few days away. He posted he was shocked that they placed him on IR. I'm not sure if I'd want Gordon, but he wouldn't cost anything once Pats waive him. Could also be an asset if the niners make it to feb.
    I think that it would make sense to shelf Hurd for the year. Like you said, it's a serious injury. Plus, he probably would have a hard time cracking the 46 at this point with Sanders, Goodwin, Pettis, Deebo, and James (James gets on the 46 as the returner). I'm guessing that Taylor and either Verrett or Street are the two that return from IR.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    Right now our hope also has to do with the lack of health in the WR group holding back development, and that with the 3 top OTs missing 12 player/games already it's going to hold back the passing game in general and the deeper and outside passing game to WRs specifically, and offensive game plans built to be super conservative ... it's hard to know WHAT the 49ers have.

Taylor, when healthy, was very good at getting open in the short/intermediate areas, but he's missed 6 games.

Hurd who was the physical player we all wanted has missed 6 games.

Goodwin hasn't been right in the last year and has just the one year of above average productivity for the 49ers and that was when Hoyer was the starting QB to start the year.

Pettis showed flashes but has been inconsistent at best.

It's kind of a mess, but it's also far from a final conclusion on any of them. It's just that a 6-0 record increases the pressure.
    Yea, I agree that's it's far from the final conclusion, I mean I would like to see these guys all healthy together for a game, but I'm just saying so far through their progression to date for what we invested it has to be a little alarming

Quote Originally Posted by leftymo View Post

I think Shanahan was, to some extent, just trying to take pressure off the players coming back.

I hope they can both get some PT ... the issue is what it's going to cost the roster, and that may be why Shanahan put that out there.

Rumor has it that the Patriots will release Josh Gordon the moment he's healthy and comes off the IR. Is he a guy you think the 49ers should sign? No one really questions Gordon's talent as a receiver, but more his life decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastSportz View Post
    Rumor has it that the Patriots will release Josh Gordon the moment he's healthy and comes off the IR. Is he a guy you think the 49ers should sign? No one really questions Gordon's talent as a receiver, but more his life decisions.
    There is a Shanahan connection, but I don't see it happening. They added Sanders. I don't see them adding anyone else at the WR position.

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast