Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 137

Thread: Preseason

  1. #91
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    9,581
    Quote Originally Posted by jc27 View Post
    " Hayes is not going to cure our inability to put the puck in the net or score 1st at a higher frequency Ö" Hayes will surely help with keeping the puck out of our own net.
    ya hayes, niskanen, braun, full year of new system, hart and no 8 goalie rotation, more depth should all help that. Players need to play now and see what they can do.

  2. #92
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    8,262
    We havenít had an offensive goal scoring force that other teams had to be back on their heals for since Carterís 46 goals, which is now over 10 years ago. And I thought carter left a lot to be desired. We have to stop focusing and worrying so much defense and worry about outscoring some teams. Like now, it is the the way of the new NHL. Bad teams and backup goalies beat us frequently because we lack the talent to score snipe goals or elite goal scoring talent goals ... hell, we suck at breakaways and shootouts, same reason!! We lose 2-1 or 3-2 ... for almost 10 years to backups, and bad teams. Enough.

    Go get Laine or Connor; pay the price ... we drafted 0 elite players since we drafted Couturier ... let that sink in ... 2011 ... that is 8 drafts ... and Couturier is not even a top 20 league recognized center from the players and NHL network poll.

    Move Patrick, Provorov, etc. we have the ammo; we need a scoring center or elite scoring wing. It changes the entire dynamic of the lines

  3. #93
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,123
    Quote Originally Posted by castan_b View Post
    We havenít had an offensive goal scoring force that other teams had to be back on their heals for since Carterís 46 goals, which is now over 10 years ago. And I thought carter left a lot to be desired. We have to stop focusing and worrying so much defense and worry about outscoring some teams. Like now, it is the the way of the new NHL. Bad teams and backup goalies beat us frequently because we lack the talent to score snipe goals or elite goal scoring talent goals ... hell, we suck at breakaways and shootouts, same reason!! We lose 2-1 or 3-2 ... for almost 10 years to backups, and bad teams. Enough.

    Go get Laine or Connor; pay the price ... we drafted 0 elite players since we drafted Couturier ... let that sink in ... 2011 ... that is 8 drafts ... and Couturier is not even a top 20 league recognized center from the players and NHL network poll.

    Move Patrick, Provorov, etc. we have the ammo; we need a scoring center or elite scoring wing. It changes the entire dynamic of the lines
    I totally disagree. We have to score a ton of goals to win when you play bad defense. They will have enough goal scoring and a better defensive system this season. They just have to hope that Elliot plays much better than he did in Boston. He stunk.

  4. #94
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    9,581
    Quote Originally Posted by jc27 View Post
    I totally disagree. We have to score a ton of goals to win when you play bad defense. They will have enough goal scoring and a better defensive system this season. They just have to hope that Elliot plays much better than he did in Boston. He stunk.
    or just play hart against the top teams and hope elliot can hold his own against sub .500 teams. We need our defense to be much better than previous years or we won't get anywhere and then we will all talk about how we "need a 40 goal scorer".

  5. #95
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    112,229
    we are going to be so ****ing good this year mark it down. We are loaded with talent and have a top 10 farm

  6. #96
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    9,581
    frost down to ahl. Not suprised, both him and farabee can use time there tbh. Glad farabee is here though, kid has been so unlucky with like 3-4 posts

  7. #97
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,192
    ya but at what cost? We aren't winning so whats the point in a rental? We would have to give up a high pick and prospect for a big name rental like that. HUGE pass. We have spent enough on our defense. Lets see what we got and have our young d get into more game situations to grow quicker.
    and we're definitely not going to win with that attitude.

    we haven't won a playoff series in 7 years. how much longer do you expect it will take before the flyers are close enough to winning for you to care about doing it?
    Move Patrick, Provorov, etc. we have the ammo; we need a scoring center or elite scoring wing. It changes the entire dynamic of the lines
    i tend to agree that we need more scoring, but we have 5 forwards who can get us 25-30 goals (giroux, couturier, hayes, JVR, konecny), plus voracek. it's also possible that patrick and/or lindblom will take a step forward as goalscorers. and we'll have reinforcements coming mid-season, in the form of frost, farabee, ratcliffe, etc.

    we also have (at least) 3 defensemen who can score 10+ goals.


    last year:
    244 -- the average number of goals scored per team.

    170 -- the number of goals scored by the top half of our roster (g, v, couturier, jvr, konecny, hayes, provorov, ghost, sanheim), adding in hayes' total from WPG/NYR.

    50 -- the number of goals scored by lindblom, laughton, patrick and niskanen (w/ WAS) last year.

    -----
    assuming all of those players repeat their performances, the number of goals that our 4th line, 3rd D pair, reserves, call ups and midseason additions would need to score in order for the flyers to have an average offense is 24. that seems doable.
    -----

    for a frame of reference:
    181 -- the number of goals scored by WPG's top 6 forwards (scheiffle, connor, laine, ehlers, wheeler, little) and top 3 defensemen (myers, trouba, morrissey) last year.

    89 -- the number of goals scored by every other WPG player


    163 -- the number of goals scored by CAR's top 6 forwards (aho, williams, terravainen, svechnikov, ferland, martinook) and top 3 defensemen (hamilton, faulk, slavin) last year.

    80 -- the number of goals scored by every other CAR player


    157 -- the number of goals scored by DET's top 6 forwards (larkin, athanasieu, mantha, bertuzzi, nyquyist, vanek) and top 3 defensemen (cholowski, green, hranek) last year.

    77 -- the number of goals scored by every other DET player

    ---- WPG was 7th in goals scored.
    ---- CAR was 16th.
    ---- DET was 21st.




    based on that (very shoddy) analysis, the flyers should be expected to have a borderline top 10 offense this year.

  8. #98
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    9,581
    so how is getting duncan keith for the cost of a second round, prospect or whatever it will cost going to help us win this year and beyond? Use those assets to make the team better not just the short term, but also long term

  9. #99
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,192
    so how is getting duncan keith for the cost of a second round, prospect or whatever it will cost going to help us win this year and beyond? Use those assets to make the team better not just the short term, but also long term
    i'm good with that, too, but let's be clear: that's not the same as doing nothing.

  10. #100
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    9,581
    Quote Originally Posted by steagles View Post
    i'm good with that, too, but let's be clear: that's not the same as doing nothing.
    id rather do nothing than to give up assets for a year rental. You should only do year rentals when you have a legit shot at the cup or something like what boston did getting coyle on a two year deal

  11. #101
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    9,581
    i do think they could've done better than niskanen/braun. Hell, they could've gotten niskanen AND subban if they freaking tried. Easily could've traded the picks we gave for braun, hagg, and a decent prospect or done gudas and picks for subban.

    provorov-subban
    sanheim-gudas
    ghost-myers
    morin

    would've also liked colin miller more than braun. We were probably a pk subban away from being a legit playoff team that would've for sure been a top 3 team in the metro. Now it's still iffy if we even make it to the playoffs even though we are much better. I would've easily given up a first next year for subban AND kept gudas (low salary and rhd). Fletcher was way too quick and didn't explore the market for more rhd. He should've known that the preds needed to trade a player to make room for josi/duchene. I also think that when the flyers call for players like subban, trouba, etc...teams only ask about frost, ratcliffe, farabee. After that, its a pretty big drop in talent that is tradeable and they won't trade a guy they just drafted. If that is the case, flyers are almost always going to just hang up. I still would've done ratcliffe in a deal for 3 years of subban or even trouba...

  12. #102
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    112,229
    Quote Originally Posted by 3iverson3 View Post
    id rather do nothing than to give up assets for a year rental. You should only do year rentals when you have a legit shot at the cup or something like what boston did getting coyle on a two year deal
    so a team like tampa last year??? I am over this type of ******** thinking... We have the defense the scorers and the ****ing goalie... we made it to the finals and lost a few years ago when we shouldnt have been there... We have a legit top farm and a legit super star goalie on top of a good D and guys like G/Vor/Couts etc.... we are gonna shock all you ****s that disagree this year.

  13. #103
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    8,848
    Quote Originally Posted by 3iverson3 View Post
    i do think they could've done better than niskanen/braun. Hell, they could've gotten niskanen AND subban if they freaking tried. Easily could've traded the picks we gave for braun, hagg, and a decent prospect or done gudas and picks for subban.

    provorov-subban
    sanheim-gudas
    ghost-myers
    morin

    would've also liked colin miller more than braun. We were probably a pk subban away from being a legit playoff team that would've for sure been a top 3 team in the metro. Now it's still iffy if we even make it to the playoffs even though we are much better. I would've easily given up a first next year for subban AND kept gudas (low salary and rhd). Fletcher was way too quick and didn't explore the market for more rhd. He should've known that the preds needed to trade a player to make room for josi/duchene. I also think that when the flyers call for players like subban, trouba, etc...teams only ask about frost, ratcliffe, farabee. After that, its a pretty big drop in talent that is tradeable and they won't trade a guy they just drafted. If that is the case, flyers are almost always going to just hang up. I still would've done ratcliffe in a deal for 3 years of subban or even trouba...
    That's my issue with his entire off-season. He just did things to do things, rather than see what's out there.

    Subban is hands-down better than Braun or Niskanen. Hell, Fletcher probably could've just waited and brought in Gardiner for $4.25M AAV, kept the 2nd & 3rd he traded for Braun and used that to bring in another good prospect (more ammo for later) or player.

  14. #104
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    9,581
    Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    so a team like tampa last year??? I am over this type of ******** thinking... We have the defense the scorers and the ****ing goalie... we made it to the finals and lost a few years ago when we shouldnt have been there... We have a legit top farm and a legit super star goalie on top of a good D and guys like G/Vor/Couts etc.... we are gonna shock all you ****s that disagree this year.
    listen I think I was one of the few here that wasn't against the moves we made and do think we will have a chance to make the playoffs but don't think we are a top 5 eastern team. We still have to show that we are better and provve that our defense is capable. But we are still a ways away from being legit

  15. #105
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,192
    That's my issue with his entire off-season. He just did things to do things, rather than see what's out there.
    i completely disagree with that characterization.

    fletcher's moves this summer had a clear purpose: to stabilize our play in the defensive zone. we allowed the 3rd most goals in the NHL last year, and so fletcher's big offseason additions (hayes, niskanen, braun) were executed with the intention of making us a significantly better defensive team.


    i have some issues* with the choices he made, too, but you cannot say he "just did things to do things" because that's not at all what happened.


    * those issues:
    -- he didn't trade for jordan staal
    -- he gave up too much for braun
    -- he moved too quickly, and missed out on better options (trouba, subban, gardiner)
    -- he was too focused on stabilizing the team and whiffed on some bigger opportunities (trouba, subban; possibly laine/connor)

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •