Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Preseason

Quote Originally Posted by CasperX22 View Post
    I mean he's already one of the best young even strength goal scorers in the league. His weaknesses are well defined defensively. Keep him with Couturier or Hayes and he will more than outplay that contract. Eventually give him pp1 time and we're talking another Couturier level contract.
    Im hoping that patrick can get his stuff together and can become a solid two way with a better shot (probalbly has the best shot of any centers we got) and then he can form a solid line with lindblom-patrick-tk for years. Then just put farabee with couts cus that would be sick

and holy cow did chabot get a lot.

Myers has looked amazing thus far. He looks mid season form already. Kid is flying and can really lay people out. Would love to see sanheim-myers paired up and dominate

Quote Originally Posted by castan_b View Post
    G, Voracek, TK, Lindblom, JVR ... I could see you wanting a tad more speed, but we have some of the best wings in the league
    for example..freaking devils and rangers now have that talent that we don't. rangers have panarin, zib, kakko now. devils have hall, hughes, hischier. I would only put couts, g, voracek in that category. we have more depth than them for sure but we need to play a better system or they will look better than us.

for example..freaking devils and rangers now have that talent that we don't. rangers have panarin, zib, kakko now. devils have hall, hughes, hischier. I would only put couts, g, voracek in that category. we have more depth than them for sure but we need to play a better system or they will look better than us.
    i think that really shines a light on how poor the flyers have been at drafting and developing forwards over the last half-decade.

between 2014 and 2018, we spent 6 first round picks and 10 first and second round picks on forwards, with very little to show for it thusfar:
    patrick (2nd overall)
    farabee (14th)
    obrien (19th)
    rubtsov (22nd)
    konecny (24th)
    frost (27th)
    ratcliffe (35th)
    laberge (36th)
    NAK (48th)
    allison (52nd)

that's a ton of draft capital to have spent on, essentially, two middle-6 forwards, a few high caliber prospects, and a bunch of guys who still aren't good enough to crack the top 6 for the phantoms.

i think this post, from april 2017, might be a good epitaph for the hextall era,:
    Think of just the shear volume of forwards that could technically fight for a spot/have a spot:
    Giroux, Voracek, Simmonds, Couts, Schenn, Lindblom, Konecny, Filppula, Raffl, Weal (if re-signed), PEB, Laughton, Cousins, Read, Weise, Vecchione, Leier, Hischier/Patrick.
    How does this affect guys like Weise, Read, Raffl, Laughton, PEB, Cousins, Vecchione, Leier and even Weal?

Not to say that these guys jerseys should be retired but ...

44 and 48 on other people doesn’t feel right just yet

Not to say that these guys jerseys should be retired but ...

44 and 48 on other people doesn’t feel right just yet
    i felt the same way when chris pronger stole rj umbergers #20.

Quote Originally Posted by steagles View Post
    i felt the same way when chris pronger stole rj umbergers #20.
    Really? I can never tell with you

i tend to do this exercise (or something like it) once or twice year, and since it's been a while, and since this seems like a good time, let's go:

tier 1 -- foundational players:
    F: couturier, giroux
    D:
    G: hart

tier 2 -- core players:
    F: hayes, konecny
    D: sanheim, ghost, myers
    G:

tier 3 -- trade bait (the good kind):
    F: JVR, voracek, patrick
    D: provorov, hagg
    G: elliott

tier 4 -- more valuable to the flyers than anyone else:
    F: lindblom, laughton, raffl, pitlick
    D: niskanen, braun, morin
    G:

tier 5 -- trade bait (the bad kind):
    F:
    D:
    G:

a few caveats
    -- these are based on my own personal values, so while you may like provorov, i need to see more from him before i crown him.

-- related to that, i tend to be a tough grader.

-- the tiers are not entirely linear. performance is the main factor, but age, contract, style of play, positional depth, etc. are also considered.

-- i didn't include prospects who haven't played some number of NHL games yet (so, no frost, farabee, ratcliffe, sandstrom)

-- i also didn't include prospects who have debuted, but who are questionable to make the 23 man roster (vorobyev, NAK, friedman)

-- tier 5 is empty right now, but at this time last year, it would have included weise, macdonald, lehtera (plus maybe neuvirth, and possibly folin, raffl, weal, elliott). in previous years, tier 5 has included nick schultz, PEB, filppula, read, umberger, VLC, etc.

-- there were a lot of things i didn't like about the hextall era, but i think what i hated most was spending 1/4 of the cap every single ****ing season on some of the worst players in the NHL.

Really? I can never tell with you
    i know.

and no. granted, i was a big fan of umberger during his first stint here, but it's chris ****ing pronger.

Quote Originally Posted by steagles View Post
    i know.

and no. granted, i was a big fan of umberger during his first stint here, but it's chris ****ing pronger.
    i love prongs as much as the next guy (especially since i am a ducks fan second) but he wasn't here that long. 44 and 48 used is more weird than seeing 20 being used for me. agree with yall tho

also, how is provorov not a core or foundational player? please explain, just curious

might be in the minority here...but I would not mind if frost or farabee started the year in the ahl. I feel like both can benefit from time there before coming up IIIFFFF patrick is still injured. If he is, then I would like one of them to stay. Both have played pretty good but they could definitely use some time down there.

g-couts-tk
    lindblom-hayes-voracek
    jvr-patrick-rubstov
    raffl-laughton-twarynski

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind it if farabee or frost take rubstov's spot at all.

also, how is provorov not a core or foundational player? please explain, just curious
    in a scenario where
    ---- provorov has the same caliber of season he had last year
    ---- sanheim takes a moderate step forward
    ---- ghost and niskanen split the difference between their last 2/3 seasons
    -- provorov would be our 4th best defenseman.

i don't think any of those conditions are unlikely, and so i tend to view provorov with more skepticism than alot of other fans. in this scenario (or a roughly comparable one), trading provorov would:

-- yield a substantial return
    -- create room for sanheim and myers to grow into larger roles
    -- not hurt us (too badly) on the ice

tl;dr:
    provorov just needs to play better.

one more thing:
    option A: justin braun (1 year/3.8MM)
    option B: jake gardiner (4 years/4MM/year); #41 in 2019; 3rd round pick in 2020

one more thing:
    riley sheahan and pat maroon both signed for less than 1MM.

one more thing:
    brian boyle is still free agent.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast