Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

NBA Stats 101: Scoring efficiency | Chauncey Billups , true shooting & skill curves

https://youtu.be/awL65UyXmA8

This does a better job explaining these concepts than I've ever been able to here.

I saw that yesterday. The only issue I had with it was it seemed to imply TS% is somehow the "best" way to measure efficiency. I don't for a second believe he thinks that, but it sort of felt like that's what he was saying.

Big fan of Ben Taylor's work. Only thing with this video is I wish he dove into volume vs efficiency further and provided more examples of when volume seemed to bring more value than efficiency. AI is a great example, but I'd imagine there are a few more out there as well. Opens up a wider discussion IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    I saw that yesterday. The only issue I had with it was it seemed to imply TS% is somehow the "best" way to measure efficiency. I don't for a second believe he thinks that, but it sort of felt like that's what he was saying.
    I took it more as "this is better than FG% and here's why". I think it's geared toward a stats 101 audience that may still be quoting FG% because that's what sportscenter uses. Getting into a more nuanced discussion might lose the viewer.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyRealist View Post
    I took it more as "this is better than FG% and here's why". I think it's geared toward a stats 101 audience that may still be quoting FG% because that's what sportscenter uses. Getting into a more nuanced discussion might lose the viewer.
    Correct, and he's also doing this as a type of class building exercise that will become a bit more intricate later on.

Somehow they still knew Magic was better then Micheal Adams

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

I agree. It's just, in my mind, I saw a noob getting uppity with "TS% is the BEST efficiency stat!". Ugh

He actually said he's going to keep going and adding detail so it's clearly not the "end"

Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    Somehow they still knew Magic was better then Micheal Adams
    Because they is genius.

I agree. It's just, in my mind, I saw a noob getting uppity with "TS% is the BEST efficiency stat!". Ugh

He actually said he's going to keep going and adding detail so it's clearly not the "end"
    To be fair, you are absolutely clueless when it comes to stats and basketball in general so don't just blindly dismiss this kid (no clue who he is talking about). You might learn something?

Quote Originally Posted by tredigs View Post
    To be fair, you are absolutely clueless when it comes to stats and basketball in general so don't just blindly dismiss this kid (no clue who he is talking about). You might learn something?
    Golly gee wow sir, thanks for your learned guidance!

I mean, to be fair TS% probably is the best stat to measure scoring efficiency. Doesn't measure a player entirely, or really anything close to that, but its still a solid metric. Was there a way of measuring efficiency that you're more of a fan of?

Golly gee wow sir, thanks for your learned guidance!
    Just learn to understand your place in these talks bud. Let the grownups speak and wait your turn.

https://youtu.be/awL65UyXmA8

This does a better job explaining these concepts than I've ever been able to here.
    but u don't believe in skill curves. I should have made vids like this back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    but u don't believe in skill curves. I should have made vids like this back in the day.
    No one would have watched

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    Yup. On a macro level skill curves simply are not true. In real world situations where players increase their shooting volume from baseline, overall their scoring efficiency goes slightly up. That may have to do with offensive sets being run for them when they are taking a larger role in the offense, or "getting into a rhythm", selection bias (it's working so the coach keeps going to them), etc. James Harden is currently 61.6% TS vs. 60.9% for his career. yet he takes 32 FGA per 48 now, vs. 22.8 per 48 for his career. Skill curves suggest he should have dropped in efficiency this year taking the highest rate of shooting ever in his career. Yet the opposite is true.

On a theoretical level for individual players, you can consider skill curves. There's a point where a player taking more and more shots will simply become more inefficient as they tire and defenses key in on them. But that's a theoretical limit that doesn't happen in actual games except as a massive outlier in "chasing the scoring title" game that happens once a decade.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast