Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 32404142
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    I would assume someone who is mentally soft would have fallen apart this year when he couldn't find the strike zone, not learn new pitches and turn into the most reliable starter on the roster.

I think it just goes to show we have no idea who or who isn't mentally soft. Last year he was clearly hurt. This year he's been healthy most of it. I think what people were attributing to "mentally soft" was mostly "injury". There's being mentally tough and fighting through some pain. But there's no fighting through injury.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    I wouldn't equate being "soft" with not fighting through injury. It's really a useless topic though. I, for one, love this version of Yu.

#DingerSZN
    #AllenWatch
    End of Season Stats
    .542AVG/.562OBP/.889SLG/1.451OPS/21RBIs/3Dingers(1 grand slam)
    Selected to All-Conference Team

2/4 with a dub. Annoyed from this past weekend at our home tourney. Split between our HS field and local park. We hit losers bracket because our team as a whole is terrible (through 7 games, we have 2 kinds hitting .200 and over. We have one kid hitting over .201) First at bat, hits one that one hops the fence at 264. Second at bat hits the fence in right at 242. Regulation fields are 200-205. So, field cost her two bombs. Ugh. 2 RBI's through 7 games sucks, buuuuuut we have been outscored 70-11. Not many RBI opportunities to be had. Dad rant over. Go Cubs.

#DingerSZN
    #AllenWatch
    End of Season Stats
    .542AVG/.562OBP/.889SLG/1.451OPS/21RBIs/3Dingers(1 grand slam)
    Selected to All-Conference Team

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    Weíve all watched far worse Cubs teams than this. Iím not bailing now.
    Without a doubt. I think there's something to be said for watching a team through the prism of expectations though. Years like this year and 2017 are way way more frustrating for me than watching the 100 loss team was. Back then you could turn on a game and just enjoy baseball for being baseball. Now there is so much more pressure and stress added to each game because of the expectations we have for the team.

Obviously I wouldn't want to lose like that again but I do think that's why it's very frustrating watching this team struggle as opposed to watching a team that just loses a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by CubsRule08 View Post
    Not to nitpick but I think it is in reference to the knuckle curve still so it's really just one pitch.

I watched the highlights of Darvish's 14ks and I couldn't believe how many came on the knuckle curve, the pitch looked unhittable.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealTI View Post
    Without a doubt. I think there's something to be said for watching a team through the prism of expectations though. Years like this year and 2017 are way way more frustrating for me than watching the 100 loss team was. Back then you could turn on a game and just enjoy baseball for being baseball. Now there is so much more pressure and stress added to each game because of the expectations we have for the team.

Obviously I wouldn't want to lose like that again but I do think that's why it's very frustrating watching this team struggle as opposed to watching a team that just loses a lot.
    Yes. Itís more frustrating when you care about the outcome of each game.

For me, Iím less frustrated than I was last year because of lower expectations and last years team will probably end up with 7-9 more wins than this years. Last year there wasnít any point when I thought they wouldnít win the division until the last week of the season. This year, I was pretty prepared from the winter that they might not be a playoff team. I thought the disaster potential was pretty high. This isnít a ďdisasterĒ season, but itís not a great one either. Itís still frustrating to watch because I donít think they are maximizing the talent they do have but Iím not surprised by this outcome this year. Iím fully prepared for an end to this season where they miss the playoffs, if it happens.

Iím not going to stop watching because itís a little frustrating. I doubt many of us will. I like baseball. Iíll keep watching even after the Cubs are done until thereís no more baseball to watch and then Iíll spend a lot of time thinking about baseball and talking about baseball until it comes back. Iím an addict, but fortunately my vice is baseball instead of something worse. Anyone who cares enough to spend time on the internet talking with strangers about this team is obviously pretty invested in it. It would be weird to be that invested and then bail with 2.5 weeks left and tied for a postseason spot like someone suggested, just because the team is frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by davearm View Post
    I don't get rooting for the Cardinals this weekend. It's still division or bust as far as I'm concerned. Having to go through the Nats and Dodgers just to reach the NLCS? Why bother.

Go brew crew!
    As far as who to root for, I agree. Iím not rooting for the 2nd Wild Card until the division is 0.0%. Iíd rather have the 2nd WC than miss the playoffs entirely, but the goal needs to be the division even though the odds arenít great.

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    Yes. Itís more frustrating when you care about the outcome of each game.

For me, Iím less frustrated than I was last year because of lower expectations and last years team will probably end up with 7-9 more wins than this years. Last year there wasnít any point when I thought they wouldnít win the division until the last week of the season. This year, I was pretty prepared from the winter that they might not be a playoff team. I thought the disaster potential was pretty high. This isnít a ďdisasterĒ season, but itís not a great one either. Itís still frustrating to watch because I donít think they are maximizing the talent they do have but Iím not surprised by this outcome this year. Iím fully prepared for an end to this season where they miss the playoffs, if it happens.

Iím not going to stop watching because itís a little frustrating. I doubt many of us will. I like baseball. Iíll keep watching even after the Cubs are done until thereís no more baseball to watch and then Iíll spend a lot of time thinking about baseball and talking about baseball until it comes back. Iím an addict, but fortunately my vice is baseball instead of something worse. Anyone who cares enough to spend time on the internet talking with strangers about this team is obviously pretty invested in it. It would be weird to be that invested and then bail with 2.5 weeks left and tied for a postseason spot like someone suggested, just because the team is frustrating.
    Good post, love your passion. The Cubs, Bears and Arizona Basketball mean so much to me and I hate when people say itís just a game since they donít understand the love most of us have for sports but if this is the worst vice I have then Iím doing pretty good in life. I donít smoke, drink, hell I donít even have a single tattoo. We all have something in life we are passionate about so non sports fans shouldnít judge us die hard cubs fans for being frustrated or so invested into a game cuz this game means more than people realize

Quote Originally Posted by ivyboys View Post
    Yeah I looked at that after posting last night. The NL wild card game is October 1. Darvish is lined up to pitch September 28.

It depends where we are at that point. If the division is out of reach and we are locked in for the WC, then you can skip his start against Stl. However, if we are 2 or less games behind Stl for the division with 2 games to go, he has to start that game. IF we were to tie Stl, Hendricks would be lined up to start the tiebreaker game on regular rest. The bad thing about that is, if we did get a tiebreaker and Hendricks pitched and we lost that game, the youíre looking at Q, Hamels, or Lester to start the WC game. Iím not confident in any of those 3 in a win or go home game. But if you have a chance to win the division you have to sell out to get it IMO. Itís a much easier path than the Nats and Dodgers.

Even with Darvish pitching the 28, if we start to run away with that game or whatever scenario happens that you feel comfortable pulling Darvish early, he could still start the WC game, even if you can only get 3 innings from him. He just said last night he wants the ball in every big game he can get in and that WC game would technically be a bullpen work day for him anyways.

Edit: Actually Lester is not an option for the WC game. Heís scheduled to start the last game of the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darvish pitched on the 12th. So he would go again the 17th and the 22nd. If the Cubs wanted to make sure he and Hendricks pitched in that last series they can. He can go the 27th, that Friday. And Hendricks can close out the season. I think when the Cubs switched Lester and Hendricks it was so Kyle can face the Cardinals twice. Once next Thursday and again the last game of the year. Someone will be skipped so that Kyle can pitch the last game of the year, IMO

Cubs (76-66) at Padres (66-76): The Nico Hoerner IGT

Not to nitpick but I think it is in reference to the knuckle curve still so it's really just one pitch.

I watched the highlights of Darvish's 14ks and I couldn't believe how many came on the knuckle curve, the pitch looked unhittable.
    Yeah I actually realized it in an earlier post after someone else mentioned it. Lol.

I thought it was another pitch instead of just the knuckle curve. Itís still crazy how quickly and effectively heís been able to learn and use that pitch with success

2016 World Series Champions!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dfan25 View Post
    Itís been an exhausting year of baseball for me. This team has been so frustrating to watch . I probably wonít watch the playoffs if they donít make it . Looking forward to the offseason however to see what moves they make.

I say this tough as frustrating as it has been to watch is at least positive that the expectations have change so much since 2015 that playing been 10 games over 500 in September is disappointing.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
    It's been an exhausting two years....This team has been a rollercoaster mess for awhile now.

The real Pride of the Midwest

It's what made 2015 such an amazing season. All most of us wanted was for the Bryant/Baez/Schwarber/Russell wave to not crap the bed, and give us something to look ahead to. They blew that out of the water.

That team exceeded expectations even more than the 2016 team (IMO).

Quote Originally Posted by Cubs420 View Post
    It's been an exhausting two years....This team has been a rollercoaster mess for awhile now.
    It could be worse.

2012 Red Sox: last place
    2013 Red Sox: first place, won WS
    2014 Red Sox: last place
    2015 Red Sox: last place
    2016 Red Sox: first place, didn't win a single game in the postseason
    2017 Red Sox: first place, won one postseason game
    2018 Red Sox: first place, won WS
    2019 Red Sox: been out of it for awhile now

Now that's a rollercoaster.

Is there a game thread for today up already? I never see them until they are posted on the previous game thread...

Anyways... Almora starting in CF and batting 8th today. Nico 6th in the order

Quote Originally Posted by ivyboys View Post
    Is there a game thread for today up already? I never see them until they are posted on the previous game thread...

Anyways... Almora starting in CF and batting 8th today. Nico 6th in the order

Yes there is. It should be stickyíd

2016 World Series Champions!!!

Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 32404142