Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Look at the pats schedule and then look at the packers schedule... it must be ****ing nice... literally they only play 5 tough teams... we play tough teams 4 time in our own division.. i hate this league

Honestly the biggest reason the Pats division is perennially ďweakĒ in your minds is that itís actually perennially ďokĒ or ďaverageĒ. The Jets, Dolphins and Bills are rarely good but they rarely bottom out either.

I bet if you took the second place team on the AFC east and compared it to the rest of the league itís one of the weaker ones over the last 20 years. But o bet the cumulative record of the 3rd and 4th place teams is one of the best. And thatís prevented the other teams from ever finding a true QB solution.

So I donít think the win total of the Pats is inflated by their division. Again, Iíd bet on average that those 4 games against 3rd and 4th are tougher than most. Brady having the same record against the AFC east as outside it reflects that. However, where NE really benefits is that lack of a strong second place team (with rare exception). It allows them to never really fret winning the division and prepare themselves for the playoffs - both in testing players and experimenting with personnel.

NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    Honestly the biggest reason the Pats division is perennially ďweakĒ in your minds is that itís actually perennially ďokĒ or ďaverageĒ. The Jets, Dolphins and Bills are rarely good but they rarely bottom out either.

I bet if you took the second place team on the AFC east and compared it to the rest of the league itís one of the weaker ones over the last 20 years. But o bet the cumulative record of the 3rd and 4th place teams is one of the best. And thatís prevented the other teams from ever finding a true QB solution.

So I donít think the win total of the Pats is inflated by their division. Again, Iíd bet on average that those 4 games against 3rd and 4th are tougher than most. Brady having the same record against the AFC east as outside it reflects that. However, where NE really benefits is that lack of a strong second place team (with rare exception). It allows them to never really fret winning the division and prepare themselves for the playoffs - both in testing players and experimenting with personnel.
    Uhh. IIRC I saw something like outside the Patriots the AFCE has the worst combined record since 2002. Sure no one might bottom out but itís constantly not good.

Conversely since 2002, AFCN has held one of two WC spots in 12/17 seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    Uhh. IIRC I saw something like outside the Patriots the AFCE has the worst combined record since 2002. Sure no one might bottom out but itís constantly not good.

Conversely since 2002, AFCN has held one of two WC spots in 12/17 seasons.
    Taking into account only the 2nd, 3rd and 4th place teams win total, hereís where thebAFC east stands since realignment:

02 - 26 wins, most of any division
    03 - 22 wins, tied for most
    04 - 23 wins, most
    05 - 18 wins, ties for 5th most
    06 - 23 wins, tied for most
    07 - 12 wins, last
    08 - 27 wins, 2nd most
    09 - 22 wins, 4th most
    10 - 22 wins, tied for 2nd most
    11 - 20 wins, tied for 5th most
    12 - 19 wins, tied for 6th most
    13 - 22 wins, 3rd most
    14 - 21 wins, tied for 6th most
    15 - 24 wins, most
    16 - 22 wins, tied for 3rd most
    17 - 20 wins, tied for 4th most
    18 - 17 wins, tied for 7th most

So again, you see that the division is near the top more than the bottom. And thatís including the face that those teams play 6 games a year vs the Pats who are, on average, better than the division winner being left out in the other divisions.

So thereís good and bad. You mention the AFCN. Yeah, they have more playoff games. But you also get 2 against CLE who have been a laughing stock. NE doesnít get to play true tomato cans as much because the division is usually in that 6-9 win range where there dangerous in a given game but not a competitor. So I think itís inaccurate to say the AFC East has pumped up their win total. On average they have it as tough or tougher than most division winners.
    Last edited by hugepatsfan; 09-20-2019 at 02:18 PM.

It would be interesting to look at the Jets', Bills', and Dolphins' DVOA over the years but that'll probably take some time to look up.
    Last edited by QB_Eagles; 09-20-2019 at 02:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by turnaround3 View Post
    I do not see the Brown acquisition as a positive, I won't go so far as to say that he'll poison the well there but I do believe he's not capable of changing who he is, and my best guess is that Belichick will suspend or outright cut him at the first whiff of problem causing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bosston View Post
    This is the strongest team the Pats have had in quite some time, they've won championships with far less. I'll gladly circle back in December.
    So, about that Brown fella...

Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    So, about that Brown fella...
    I still thought that was the case before Brown. Provided the OL injuries besides Andrews arenít season ending and Gordon can stay on track I think this is the best roster BB has assembled. Brown took that to another level and obviously but still the case IMO.

So, is everyone just going to let the Brady tweets about penalties last night slide?
    For one, isn't complaining about the refs a fine-able offense?

But more so....a guy who has benefited from officiating than maybe anyone in the history of the NFL is going to complain about officiating and say 'just let them play'? Oh, but that was because of all the HOLDING calls...he likes refs who don't call a lot of those......
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    So, is everyone just going to let the Brady tweets about penalties last night slide?
    For one, isn't complaining about the refs a fine-able offense?

But more so....a guy who has benefited from officiating than maybe anyone in the history of the NFL is going to complain about officiating and say 'just let them play'? Oh, but that was because of all the HOLDING calls...he likes refs who don't call a lot of those......
    I mean, he wasnt wrong

Quote Originally Posted by IHateTheSkins View Post
    I mean, he wasnt wrong
    doesnt take away from the bottom line though... he isnt wrong no doubt but a big part of his career has been made because of said refs and league

Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    doesnt take away from the bottom line though... he isnt wrong no doubt but a big part of his career has been made because of said refs and league
    Imagine actually believing this lol.

Taking into account only the 2nd, 3rd and 4th place teams win total, hereís where thebAFC east stands since realignment:

04 - 23 wins, most
    07 - 12 wins, last
    08 - 27 wins, 2nd most
    09 - 22 wins, 4th most
    13 - 22 wins, 3rd most
    15 - 24 wins, most

So again, you see that the division is near the top more than the bottom. And thatís including the face that those teams play 6 games a year vs the Pats who are, on average, better than the division winner being left out in the other divisions.

So thereís good and bad. You mention the AFCN. Yeah, they have more playoff games. But you also get 2 against CLE who have been a laughing stock. NE doesnít get to play true tomato cans as much because the division is usually in that 6-9 win range where there dangerous in a given game but not a competitor. So I think itís inaccurate to say the AFC East has pumped up their win total. On average they have it as tough or tougher than most division winners.
    Actually it looks like since 2010 the division has been closer to the bottom or middle than the top most years. Also, while your observation they haven't had a truly disastrous team in their division is true, the opposite is also true. In the past 10 years the division has only featured 3 other teams that won 10+ games, and 2 of those were 10 wins apiece.

If your goal is not to lose games, I'd rather face 4 7-9 teams than 2 2-14 but also 2 13-3 teams. You are more likely to win facing the consistently below average than in playing top level teams but interspersing those matchups in with terrible ones.

04 - 23 wins, most
    07 - 12 wins, last
    08 - 27 wins, 2nd most
    09 - 22 wins, 4th most
    13 - 22 wins, 3rd most
    15 - 24 wins, most

But when you're a good team like the pats, you'd rather play in a division with a bunch of 6-10 teams than a division with 1 horrible team but another team thats a legit threat.

I'm a packers fan. So I look at packers vs patriots. Since 2002, non packers nfc north teams have finished with a winning record 18 times. The non patriots afc east has done that 14 times. Not a huge difference, but still a difference. But if we shorten that time frame to since 2010, the non packers nfc north teams have finished with a winning record 11 times compared to the non patriots afc east doing it 5 times.

And that's the biggest difference. The patriots have rarely had teams that actually looked like a true threat to compete for the division. Some of that is kudos to the pats, but some of they is because the best non pats afc east teams of the past 10 years or so couldnt really hold a candle to the 2nd best teams in most other divisions.

3 down

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    One More Time

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast