Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Red Sox Fire President of Baseball Operations, Dave Dombrowski

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/...edium=facebook

In a shocking development, the Red Sox announced that they have parted ways with president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski. Assistant GMs Eddie Romero, Zak Scott, and Brian OíHalloran will take over as the heads of the baseball ops department for the remainder of the season (MLB.comís Ian Browne was among those to report the news of the three-man interim team.)

It was just last fall that the Red Sox captured a World Series championship with one of the best teams in recent baseball history, winning 108 regular-season games and then rolling through the playoffs with an 11-3 record. It marked the clubís first title since Dombrowski took over the job in August 2015, and his second World Series in over three decades as one of the gameís most respected front office bosses. Dombrowski also put together the Marlins team that won the 1997 Series, and captured two American League pennants with the Tigers in 2006 and 2012.

With such a track record of both past and recent success, it is nothing less than stunning to see Dombrowski suddenly out of a job, though there had been some whispers that ownership took a dim view of Bostonís underachievement in 2019.
    World Series champion in 2018, looking for a new job in 2019. Life comes at you fast!

"there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

There must have been some tension or strife with him and someone in ownership. Hard to believe they would have fired him otherwise after coming off a WS victory. Yeah, I know the Red Sox have been meh this year but that's to be expected after so many guys had career years last season and the expected WS hangover.

Maybe trading all those prospects caught up to him as well. I could see the Red Sox looking to win in a cheaper fashion than constantly acquiring high priced veterans.

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    There must have been some tension or strife with him and someone in ownership. Hard to believe they would have fired him otherwise after coming off a WS victory. Yeah, I know the Red Sox have been meh this year but that's to be expected after so many guys had career years last season and the expected WS hangover.

Maybe trading all those prospects caught up to him as well. I could see the Red Sox looking to win in a cheaper fashion than constantly acquiring high priced veterans.
    Forget strife. They had a great farm system when he got there, it's a junk heap now. Anyone could see in April the team needed a closer. What did he do? Nothing.

Time to get the next Theo again, and this time, leave him alone.
    I am not a con artist! I am a businessman! I have a big brain and I'm good at making deals! People are just jealous of my BIG BRAIN! BAD!

Guess who? The future X-Presdent...

Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    Forget strife. They had a great farm system when he got there, it's a junk heap now. Anyone could see in April the team needed a closer. What did he do? Nothing.

Time to get the next Theo again, and this time, leave him alone.
    What were his options? There was nothing to trade for a closer, and they were maxed out on salary, if ownership would have let him go over the cap for a closer he probably would have.

I'd say the large majority of Dave's moves actually worked, and have at every organization he's worked at.

He didn't get a ring in Detroit, but he took them from worst to 1st after a few years, including two trips to the world series, then he got his SECOND ring in Boston.

I'm really not sure why they did this. Or at least why they would do this now with like 3 weeks left in the season.

There is no greater kiss of death for your job in sports than winning a world series with the redsox.

Cherrington, Epstien and now Dombrowski all fired within 2 years of winning the world series.

Mookie Betts thoughts on this firing.
    https://twitter.com/joonlee/status/1170914816250302466

Quote Originally Posted by ciaban2.0 View Post
    There is no greater kiss of death for your job in sports than winning a world series with the redsox.

Cherrington, Epstien and now Dombrowski all fired within 2 years of winning the world series.

Epstein's firing made no sense. I could understand them moving on from Cherrington. Dombroski has a reputation of putting together winning teams but at the expense of trading off the future. Had to have shortened his leash. I figured they would have given him more time than this though.

Teams want to win as cost effectively as possible, even teams with large payrolls.

Epstein's firing made no sense. I could understand them moving on from Cherrington. Dombroski has a reputation of putting together winning teams but at the expense of trading off the future. Had to have shortened his leash. I figured they would have given him more time than this though.

Teams want to win as cost effectively as possible, even teams with large payrolls.
    He also, built and rebuilt the marlins to 2 world titles, and rebuilt the Tigers from a squad that lost an MLB record number of games.

He also, built and rebuilt the marlins to 2 world titles, and rebuilt the Tigers from a squad that lost an MLB record number of games.
    But how he is known for building teams- through free agency and trades- wasn't going to work for rebuilding the Red Sox. Yeah, he built the team last year, but it's also in a fragile state where they can't add more salary, and at the same time, he's depleted the farm system making trades, and also through promotions to the big league club.

DD won't be out of work for long, and Boston is going to bring in someone younger, who can mix different philosophies and try to rebuild this thing on the fly. I'm thinking of two former Boston execs for this job- Hazen or Hoyer.

Theo resigned from Boston. He wasn't fired.

That's because Theo never got fired. He resigned.

Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    That's because Theo never got fired. He resigned.
    That is true but I doubt he resigns if circumstances were different. What he did there should have bought him a lifetime in Boston in whatever capacity he wanted. Guess its the same with the Cubs now.
    Last edited by metswon69; 09-10-2019 at 02:56 PM.

Pretty sure he simply accomplished what he had hoped to (win a championship) and then moved on to another opportunity.

"there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTomasz View Post
    But how he is known for building teams- through free agency and trades- wasn't going to work for rebuilding the Red Sox. Yeah, he built the team last year, but it's also in a fragile state where they can't add more salary, and at the same time, he's depleted the farm system making trades, and also through promotions to the big league club.

DD won't be out of work for long, and Boston is going to bring in someone younger, who can mix different philosophies and try to rebuild this thing on the fly. I'm thinking of two former Boston execs for this job- Hazen or Hoyer.
    He literally built the marlins through drafting and international free agency. Same with the Tigers.

Yeah, because that's what ownership told him to do when the brought him on.

He literally built the marlins through drafting and international free agency. Same with the Tigers.

Yeah, because that's what ownership told him to do when the brought him on.
    And he left the Tigers with one of the worst farm systems in baseball, and they are still recovering.

Something happened. The Red Sox honored him and other executives in a pre-game ceremony Sunday evening, and then they fired him a few hours later.

One thing is for sure, this next GM is going to have to deal with a lot of fallout, and has some franchise altering decisions to make, starting with Mookie Betts.